UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mark Lyons is done at X (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20895)

hoch21 04-22-2012 11:06 AM

Mark Lyons is done at X

Great news, now who will be out most hated player, Wells??
Posted via Mobile Device

longtimefan 04-22-2012 11:21 AM

Details?

hoch21 04-22-2012 11:24 AM

Decided to part ways, if he finishes school he can either turn pro or transfer to another school.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlightClub.33.32.15.1 04-22-2012 11:27 AM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...-senior-season

According to multiple sources, Musketeers coach Chris Mack and Lyons met late last week and it was determined that it would be best for Lyons' career at Xavier to come to a conclusion.

Lyons averaged 15.1 points -- second on the team -- last season. Mack will also lose leading scorer Tu Holloway and fellow senior Kenny Frease to graduation.

Mack was unable to be reached Sunday morning, but sources told CBSSports.com that Lyons has had a few on and off-court issues throughout his career. Lyons was suspended two games for his involvement in the fight against Cincinnati and was also benched late in the season.

The athletic guard will likely transfer elsewhere for his final season -- pending he finishes his academic work -- and be eligible to play immediately. However, he could also opt to put his name in for the NBA Draft.

cj 04-22-2012 11:30 AM

If he was going to return for his Senior year then for him to play immediately elsewhere he would have to graduate and enroll at a school that has a masters program that X doesn't offer. Is he going to graduate one year early? Doubtful. Look for him to enter the draft.

longtimefan 04-22-2012 11:32 AM

:D:):D:):D

xubrew 04-22-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 266307)
If he was going to return for his Senior year then for him to play immediately elsewhere he would have to graduate and enroll at a school that has a masters program that X doesn't offer. Is he going to graduate one year early? Doubtful. Look for him to enter the draft.

It's my understanding that he is on pace to graduate after this semester. I don't think he met initial eligibility, which means he was in school for a year before he began playing.

San Diego Flyer 04-22-2012 11:35 AM

wow. didn't see that coming

That is a surprise. Never thought Mack would have the conscience or onions to do the right thing for his underclass players and get rid of the cancer. Lyons and Tu were horrible role models for Xavier's younger players, not to mention the kids attending games at Cintas.
Got to believe Mack had unqualified support from his AD on this one.

longtimefan 04-22-2012 11:39 AM

Do we have any Masters Degree programs Xavier doesn't have? :D;):D;):D

jack72 04-22-2012 12:20 PM

Great news. X just elevated their school and BB program!!

flyers/avs 04-22-2012 12:39 PM

Celebrate good times, come on!

Avid Flyer 04-22-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 266310)
That is a surprise. Never thought Mack would have the conscience or onions to do the right thing for his underclass players and get rid of the cancer. Lyons and Tu were horrible role models for Xavier's younger players, not to mention the kids attending games at Cintas.

Or did Mack do what he was told to save his job. Deep pocket alumna were not pleased with last years PR.

Viperstick 04-22-2012 01:20 PM

Good riddance.

UDDoug 04-22-2012 01:27 PM

Brew is correct. He was either a partial or nonqualifier. I think partial. Xavier has a good track record of appealing quiciacation status and getting partial status, letting the kid practice and receive a scholarship.
Posted via Mobile Device

anthonycharles 04-22-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 266311)
Do we have any Masters Degree programs Xavier doesn't have? :D;):D;):D

Nooooooooooo! :)

I have a feeling this has more to do with pressure coming from the top and alumni than Mack making this decision. Not a surprise.

Fudd 04-22-2012 02:06 PM

Xavierhoops just literally crashed. Not sure if X boosters got tired of having a gangster on their hands or if Lyons got tired of getting benched for disciplinary issues. Either way, it will be a relief not to have to read X fans reaching for new defenses of his antics.

shapanud 04-22-2012 03:49 PM

Various reports are saying that Arizona is one of the favorites to land Lyons. He would be eligible to play immediately at Arizona and Miller recruited him to X so it would make some sense.

CE80 04-22-2012 04:13 PM

Maybe it is me but somehow Mark Lyons and master's student just don't seem to belong in the same sentence.

longtimefan 04-22-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Or some direction from the AD.

longtimefan 04-22-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shapanud (Post 266326)
Various reports are saying that Arizona is one of the favorites to land Lyons. He would be eligible to play immediately at Arizona and Miller recruited him to X so it would make some sense.

And Sean's initial reaction to the brawl was that it was pretty cool (not his exact words but he certainly was not critical until a few days later when he saw all the negative pub).

MD Flyer Pride 04-22-2012 05:51 PM

This stinks. I wanted Lyons to stay on the roster to drag Mack and the Xavier program down! :):D

IMHO and complete guess only... this does feel like Mack was given a little counselling on this one. :eek:

Go Flyers!

tirebiter 04-22-2012 07:54 PM

I'll say this, if it was Mack who put his foot down he raised himself a notch in my opinion - from a negative ten to a negative nine.

I hope Lyons left with his tail between his legs.

It will be interesting to hear the spin Mack and the dysfunctional administration try to put on this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them all go into full finger-pointing whining mode.

Can't wait till their message board limps back on line.

UD Sam 04-22-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonycharles (Post 266321)
Nooooooooooo! :)

I have a feeling this has more to do with pressure coming from the top and alumni than Mack making this decision. Not a surprise.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Lyons recently got in trouble and Mack had no choice but to let him go.

T-Bone 84 04-22-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UD Sam (Post 266361)
I also wouldn't be surprised if Lyons recently got in trouble and Mack had no choice but to let him go.

That could be it, Sam.

It could be that The Sundance Kid's act wouldn't go over as well next year without Butch Cassidy there to bail his @$$ out, and he and Mack both knew it.

It could be that X's latest backcourt recruits are "all that and a bag of chips" (they do seem to be highly rated), and Lyons' presence would have gotten in the way of their development.

It could also simply be that the wheelers & dealers at X took a hard look in the mirror, saw that their program's reputation had become that which they used to loathe & mock (UC, circa 1995), realized that it was time for a fresh start in that regard, and knew that the fresh start couldn't happen as long as a central "gangsta" was still in the fold.

Who knows why? Not me. But I do know that the "class" level of the A-10 as a whole (and the X program specifically) just went up about 30 points with that d-bag moving on for other pastures.

I will miss ripping his @$$ next year, though! :D

MD Flyer Pride 04-23-2012 07:18 AM

I couldn't help but think of this scenario... I remembered this article from Doug Harris...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot

From the DDN article (about Jordan Sibert):
"Xavier was among his final three choices three years ago, but the Musketeers don’t have any scholarships currently available."

I hate to say it... this would be a smart move. Get rid of the problem child and make room for Sibert.

I hope it is not the case, as far as Sibert goes. He should be a Flyer and not a Gangsta! :D

Go Flyers!

CE80 04-23-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Flyer Pride (Post 266363)
I couldn't help but think of this scenario... I remembered this article from Doug Harris...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot

From the DDN article (about Jordan Sibert):
"Xavier was among his final three choices three years ago, but the Musketeers don’t have any scholarships currently available."

I hate to say it... this would be a smart move. Get rid of the problem child and make room for Sibert.

I hope it is not the case, as far as Sibert goes. He should be a Flyer and not a Gangsta! :D

Go Flyers!

Under this scenario, if Sibert ends up at X, he may go down as one of the most hated X players, ever.

Radar 04-23-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

...or Mack was directed to do it by his AD.

Sea Bass 04-23-2012 10:52 AM

this isn't official yet. XU has said nothing to this point and neither has Lyons.

Runnin' Rebel 04-23-2012 12:04 PM

Folks down in Cincinnati are saying that Lyons and the coaching staff were not seeing eye-to-eye ever since the brawl last year.

UDFLIES 04-23-2012 02:57 PM

lyons reminds me of a young "metta world peace" (aka Ron Artest)

..also it is ironic the most violent person in the nba changed his name in order to promote peace

DallasFlyer 04-23-2012 03:02 PM

Kentucky is looking to bring him in supposedly.

UDFLIES 04-23-2012 03:21 PM

i don't see lyons ending up at uk..he wants to be the main point guard wherever he goes and uk has ryan harrow who is way better than lyons.

uk may be giving interest but i think lyons would rather go to arizona where he can be the main pg instead of coming off the bench

jpk4ud 04-23-2012 03:32 PM

Story on Yahoo about where he might end up:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...153727590.html

UD90 04-23-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpk4ud (Post 266421)
Story on Yahoo about where he might end up:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...153727590.html

Imagine that. Brotherly love. Get him the heck out of our conference. On top of being a thug - I won't miss him dropping buckets on us.

Sid Louick 04-23-2012 03:47 PM

Following is a link to an interesting article in the Washington Post about the transfer game. Definitely another example of how young people today want everything NOW and will do whatever it takes to get what they want.

The article also notes that Duquesne's T.J McConnell wound up at Arizona but has to sit out a year, thus leaving an opening next year for Lyons. I wonder if McConnell (a Pgh. area kid) going to Arizona indicates that Sean Miller still has some influence in that area. Hope AM can develop the same.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...OYT_story.html

San Diego Flyer 04-23-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Louick (Post 266428)
Following is a link to an interesting article in the Washington Post about the transfer game. Definitely another example of how young people today want everything NOW and will do whatever it takes to get what they want.

It's a disease that most fans and coaches aren't immune to either.

Sea Bass 04-23-2012 04:38 PM

supposedly an assistant could be going as well now that the Lyons departure is official. Makes me wonder who is charting the course change.

SeasonTicketFan 04-23-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Louick (Post 266428)

The article also notes that Duquesne's T.J McConnell wound up at Arizona but has to sit out a year, thus leaving an opening next year for Lyons. I wonder if McConnell (a Pgh. area kid) going to Arizona indicates that Sean Miller still has some influence in that area. Hope AM can develop the same.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...OYT_story.html

The transfer game plays both ways. When I was younger, I thought he scholarship was four years. That was the term I heard. Later, when I learned that scholarships are one years at a time, I was surprised. Dayton has dropped some players over the years. One can argue that they were deserved. Such as Norman....

Loyalty has to be a two way street. With the number of one and dones, transfers and players dropped, loyalty does not feel as if it runs up and the down the NCAA very hard. Of course, big money turns almost everybody into mercenaries.

GoFlyer 04-23-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Bass (Post 266435)
supposedly an assistant could be going as well now that the Lyons departure is official. Makes me wonder who is charting the course change.

That's interesting. There was one young coach that laughed during the altercation. It can be seen on the various videos of the fight. Wanna bet?

T-Bone 84 04-23-2012 07:23 PM

Just pulled this quote from ESPN. Read between THESE lines:

"Xavier has made it official, announcing via a release that Lyons will not be returning to the program for his senior season.

'After our end of the season meeting with Mark it became apparent that a change for both parties was the right thing moving forward,' Mack said in the release. 'During our meeting expectations were outlined for his fifth and final season, areas in which I believe needed improvement. Mark did not recognize these expectations as being important and ultimately it was decided that a change of scenery would be in his best interest. I wish Mark well.'"

Translation (IMHO): "We told Mark we wanted him to grow up & represent the university with class. He said 'Once a Gangsta, always a Gangsta!' We said you're :outtahere:!"

:imstupid:

I said it before - I'll say it again. Good riddance! Punk!!

xubrew 04-23-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 266414)
Kentucky is looking to bring him in supposedly.

The SEC currently does not permit players to transfer in under the graduation exception...

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ge_with_g.html

xubrew 04-23-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan (Post 266437)
The transfer game plays both ways. When I was younger, I thought he scholarship was four years. That was the term I heard. Later, when I learned that scholarships are one years at a time, I was surprised. Dayton has dropped some players over the years. One can argue that they were deserved. Such as Norman....

Loyalty has to be a two way street. With the number of one and dones, transfers and players dropped, loyalty does not feel as if it runs up and the down the NCAA very hard. Of course, big money turns almost everybody into mercenaries.

This is a very good point. Players are impatient, and I'm not suggesting that players do not transfer in order to play more or to "trade up" so to speak. However, the majority of the players who transfer do so because their coaches either do not renew their scholarships, or they're told they won't play if they don't transfer.

As crazy as this sounds, I have a theory that if they got rid of the rules where players had to sit out a year, and that schools could have a say in who they were or were not released to, the transfer rate may actually go down. The reason?? Coaches would be less likely to force a player out who could go somewhere else and play right away.

The equivalency sports don't have that rule. You can transfer and play right away. On top of that, not all scholarships are the same. A softball player may have a partial scholarship at one school, and have the option of transferring to another school for a bigger scholarship AND not have to sit out a year. One would think the transfer rates in those sports would be through the roof. They're not. They're actually lower than men's basketball. That should tell you something. Most of the time it's not the result of young people wanting everything now. It's the result of coaches wanting everything now, and not being willing to wait for players to develop.

Fudd 04-23-2012 10:07 PM

It seems like yesterday when Mack was telling us what "good kids" he has at X.

CE80 04-24-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xubrew (Post 266447)
This is a very good point. Players are impatient, and I'm not suggesting that players do not transfer in order to play more or to "trade up" so to speak. However, the majority of the players who transfer do so because their coaches either do not renew their scholarships, or they're told they won't play if they don't transfer.

There are other reasons too. Lots of "regular" students transfer for various reasons. Look at out most recent transfers - Perry, Parker, Dillard, Sanford, Derenbecker.

Dillard may be a definite "trade up" situation. Maybe Parker. but I don't think as much. With the others, I think it was more a case of this total scene - school atmosphere, team, etc. isn't right for me. I want a change.

SeasonTicketFan 04-24-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 266484)
There are other reasons too. Lots of "regular" students transfer for various reasons. Look at out most recent transfers - Perry, Parker, Dillard, Sanford, Derenbecker.

Dillard may be a definite "trade up" situation. Maybe Parker. but I don't think as much. With the others, I think it was more a case of this total scene - school atmosphere, team, etc. isn't right for me. I want a change.

I believe Drake changed coaches after Josh's freshman year. I recall him saying that he played for four coaches in four years (transfer years excluded).

So another reason for transfer is coaching changes.

The player in the NCAA situation is much fluid these days.

Bill Elwood 04-24-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan (Post 266485)
I believe Drake changed coaches after Josh's freshman year. I recall him saying that he played for four coaches in four years (transfer years excluded).

So another reason for transfer is coaching changes.

The player in the NCAA situation is much fluid these days.

Speaking of coaching changes and fluidity, I had to puke (and I know this isn't b-ball or Flyers) when I heard about John L Smith moving from his alma mater, whose head coaching job he just accepted in December, to take the interim head coaching job at AK!!
But then he did get an endorsement from Petrino?!

And some people get concerned about players moving around???

jack72 04-24-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Elwood (Post 266529)
Speaking of coaching changes and fluidity, I had to puke (and I know this isn't b-ball or Flyers) when I heard about John L Smith moving from his alma mater, whose head coaching job he just accepted in December, to take the interim head coaching job at AK!!
But then he did get an endorsement from Petrino?!

And some people get concerned about players moving around???

John L is like 63 and this is his last shot at a national championship, and AR has the talent to contend this year. He also was the assistant coach at AR for the last 3 years. By the way he is not the interim coach, he only signed a one year contract. But still the coaches are now as weird as the athletes.

ud2 05-06-2012 07:51 PM

bobber 05-06-2012 08:15 PM

I bet Arizona has about 200 graduate programs that aren't offered at X.

Maybe more.

DallasFlyer 05-06-2012 08:31 PM

Perhaps he can start coursework on his way to a masters in gangstarology.

longtimefan 05-06-2012 09:01 PM

Doesn't surprise me based on Sean's reaction to the brawl. He initially supported "his" players. He backed off a little after all the criticism of the X players and coach.

Fudd 05-06-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 267862)
Doesn't surprise me based on Sean's reaction to the brawl. He initially supported "his" players. He backed off a little after all the criticism of the X players and coach.

It's crazy that he came out in support of the brawl and following press conference. Being tough as a team is one thing, but saying such ridiculous things is in defense of the taunting of UC's bench and coaches is another.

Viperstick 05-06-2012 10:01 PM

Lyons to AZ was about as big a mystery as the diurnal cycle.

tirebiter 05-06-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viperstick (Post 267865)

Sinusoidal?

Viperstick 05-07-2012 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tirebiter (Post 267867)
Sinusoidal?

Same idea...predictable.

Gazoo 05-07-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viperstick (Post 267865)

Is the di-urinal cycle related to the water fountain cycle? If so AZ better up the facilities budget this year.

UD Sam 05-08-2012 12:12 AM

It's a good thing Butler will have 1.5 years to take the necessary precautions to protect their water system in preparation for the 2013-2014 season when they most likely will be playing X twice.

ClevelandFlyer05 05-08-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fudd (Post 267863)
It's crazy that he came out in support of the brawl and following press conference. Being tough as a team is one thing, but saying such ridiculous things is in defense of the taunting of UC's bench and coaches is another.

Is that what he really said about the brawl? My vague recollection is that he only commented on the brawl in the light that it reflected how intense that rivalry is.

UD Sam 05-08-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandFlyer05 (Post 268017)
Is that what he really said about the brawl? My vague recollection is that he only commented on the brawl in the light that it reflected how intense that rivalry is.

I think Fudd was referring to the quote from Sean Miller, who told an AP reporter that he fully expected there would be a fight knowing the intensity of the rivalry, and was quoted as saying “Nobody is going to bully’’ the Xavier kids. I’m proud of those guys".

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs..._gangster.html