UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   It's Official - BG To Georgia Tech (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17801)

FlyerDan 03-28-2011 07:48 AM

It's Official - BG To Georgia Tech

THirt 03-28-2011 07:51 AM

Man, what an offseason. I thought it would be interesting, I didn't think it would be THIS interesting. Good luck to BG. I'm sorry to see him go, but hopeful that the next coach will lead us where we all want to be.

ndflyer 03-28-2011 07:52 AM

Maybe our recruits will return? I just hope the next guy can run a better offense.

Flyer Al 03-28-2011 07:57 AM

I am sad to see BG go, his passion and dedication to the UD program was apparent no matter what your thoughts about his coaching abilities might be. I wish him all the luck at GT but the UD program will live on and continue to move forward. We are UD!

ihflyer 03-28-2011 07:58 AM

Its the Dawn of a Beautiful day.

Flyer 86 03-28-2011 08:03 AM

What a mess is my opinion. So he doesn't want to clean up the mess he helped create with Staten. 8 years of solid community work, repping, down the drain in 2 weeks.

There are ripples here .... Henton coming? Gibson?

Dillard pretty much needs to remain, since he sat out already.

Let's just hope guys like Oliver and Benson and key cogs remain otherwise we are setback more than just losing a coach

Flyer 86 03-28-2011 08:06 AM

I would not begrudge gregory leaving, except he has lotsof responsibility for creating the staten situation. Mature people would clean up the mess.

Time to find a coach with an offense and some real in game skills

UDGutter2 03-28-2011 08:06 AM

Good Luck GT. . .

I'll be rooting for you and your new coach in EVERY game you play, no matter who it is.

hoch21 03-28-2011 08:07 AM

Like I said on Friday BG gone....

Was just a matter of letting everyone know personally and allocation of money at Ga. Tech.

lhsgolf19 03-28-2011 08:08 AM

lol good guess

AC91 03-28-2011 08:08 AM

What you see as beautiful, I see as a dark stormy day. I am really sad to see BG go. He has been great for UD and his basketball accomplishments, though not quite (but not far) at the bar that he, UD and us fans have set, were most certainly not a failure...over the past 2 seasons he is just a couple of wins away from being there. I was actually really looking forward to next year.

lhsgolf19 03-28-2011 08:09 AM

Amen! Good Luck BG... Thanks for an awesome 8 years!

Levelbest 03-28-2011 08:10 AM

I would guess a lot of the new recruits staying will depend on who TW has in the wings...

In the end, like AC91 - I fear we may be far more worse off than we are now. Of couse, it's also possible on the flip side as well. However, I know one thing - we probably won't find a better ambassador or spokesperson for our university for a while. For all the knocks, BG was a classy dude.

TommyGola 03-28-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 (Post 221845)
What a mess is my opinion. So he doesn't want to clean up the mess he helped create with Staten. 8 years of solid community work, repping, down the drain in 2 weeks.

There are ripples here .... Henton coming? Gibson?

Dillard pretty much needs to remain, since he sat out already.

Let's just hope guys like Oliver and Benson and key cogs remain otherwise we are setback more than just losing a coach

The Staten mess was not all BG's doing. I think it just spun out of control and BG couldn't get it back on track. He still needed a point guard during the season. Obviously, this harmed everyone's performance during this season. I think that BG was looking down the road and saw that he had taken the Flyers about as far as he could. He is a good and honorable man and I personally will miss his character and love for the university. It is now time to replace with a similar person of character.

Fudd 03-28-2011 08:12 AM

I can't begrudge BG. He put a solid effort forth here, IMO. I, personally, would not have forced him out the door, and I don't think that happened here. I don't have any issue with fans bringing the heat this year either. It was very ugly at times this year, and he has ultimate responsibility for that. I wish him great success at Georgia Tech.

Mixed emotions for me. There are elements of gratitude, sadness and excitement over a new coach.

Thanks BG for the solid way you led the program for the last 8 years. I think I will root for GT while you are there.

ClevelandFlyer05 03-28-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC91 (Post 221850)
I was actually really looking forward to next year.

Me too. In fact, I have been "looking forward to next year" since 2003 for this program for about a decade now.

Tony T 71 03-28-2011 08:19 AM

I think the only chance to keep our recruits is to hire one of the assistants.
Isn't that the musty and Butler way? Just a thought:worried:

ud2 03-28-2011 08:21 AM

A great day for UD! I am looking forward to the future.

I thank BG for his service, but I think this is the right move for both UD and BG. Who knows? Maybe I'll be wrong, and BG will succeed in a BCS environment. I very seriously doubt BG will succeed at GT, but we shall see. Good luck BG!

FlyingArrow 03-28-2011 08:22 AM

I think he's moving into a worse job than he has now, especially if the pay is comparable. Higher expectations, less fan support.

I don't think he was forced out. I'm sad to see him go because I think he was good for the program, but I'm also happy because I think it's the best move for him and for UD. Recruiting for him at UD just got a lot harder and I think he knew it.

I'm excited to see who the new coach is.

UD93 Steve 03-28-2011 08:23 AM

THANK YOU Brian Gregory!

God Bless you and your family, and good luck at GT!

I will always appreciate what you brought to this program.

We were lucky to have you.

FlyingArrow 03-28-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 (Post 221847)
I'll be rooting for you and your new coach in EVERY game you play, no matter who it is.

Even versus Dayton for the National Championship?

Gazoo 03-28-2011 08:24 AM

No one hates BG, we're sad to see him go under these circumstances (meaning not during the 8th consecutive sweet 16 run for UD), but it's run its course.

Good luck BG, maybe I'll drive down the street from my office to see your guys play.

On to more important matters.

FlyingArrow 03-28-2011 08:25 AM

Agreed. You were a great representative of the university, raised the level of the recruits, and won a game in the NCAA tournament for the first time in nearly two decades.

Odrab14 03-28-2011 08:26 AM

Good luck BG. Sure I was very critical of you but you raised my expectation level with some of the success we have had here. Good Luck to you and your family

ud2 03-28-2011 08:26 AM

:D:cool::):beermug::clap::banana::ok::yay::rr:

Can the admins please unlock jcubspoe's account? I feel so sorry for him that he cannot express his happiness.

ClaytonFlyerFan 03-28-2011 08:28 AM

Very sorry to see BG move on.

I am quite thankful though that he cleaned up the Staten mess before leaving town. Our next coach can start fresh with a great group of players who believe in playing as a team without any ego or daddy issues.

Thanks for all you have done BG

hugginator82 03-28-2011 08:29 AM

...or they continue the natural progression from: Robert Townshend look-alike (Purnell) to Michael J. Fox sound-alike (Gregory) to hopefully a Krzyzewski coach-alike

Bill302 03-28-2011 08:34 AM

Personally, I would love for all of the personal attacks on BG to stop. If you didn't like his coaching style...fine. But do we need to throw in comments about "minimum height requirements" etc...?

As UD "fans", we should be thanking him for representing the University well in the community and accross the country and running a clean and competitive program for the 8 years he was here.

Jets Flyer 03-28-2011 08:36 AM

Well, chaulk up one win for rumor mongering!

I guess BG looked at the circumstances and decided "to better git while the gitten was good"
he had burned up most of the goodwill created with the WV win and the NIT win is a year removed. his recruiting class imploded and he doesn't have any 4 stars coming in this year.
the short term two year outlook didn't bode well, for him nor the fanbase. and two more years of sub A10 play would tarnish any shine he has left here. good luck BG, i think you made the right move for yourself!
not real happy with the way this went down with him supposedly recruiting in Vegas and wabler denying any knowledge, but as divorces go this wasn't ugly

oh well who's next!!!!!

Canonball 03-28-2011 08:39 AM

Good luck in Georgia BG.

Thanks for the first NCAA win in 20 years, and an NIT title.

rollo 03-28-2011 08:40 AM

BG's Press Conference speech

I'm curious what he's going to say....will he dust off the speech he used when UD hired him...the 'win championships' speech, or will it be about rebuilding GT into an 'ACC contender'.

Any talk of 'winning ACC Championships' will be ridiculed and critiqued beyond belief both here and at any GTPride-type site.

I sure hope BG chooses his words carefully.

forego1 03-28-2011 08:40 AM

BG brought the program to a fairly good place. I wish him well.

The timing for UD to receive interest could not have been any more auspicious. How many times are universities left with gutted programs?
The program is in relatively good shape.

UD is at a potent point.

Avid Flyer 03-28-2011 08:46 AM

don't think BG intended to leave at did
First that's why he handled JS. But his meeting with TW may have not gone to his liking .

cjswartz 03-28-2011 08:49 AM

I never thought I would be this cheery on a Monday morning! I couldn't be happier with this news, I think this is the best possible decision for both parties. BG had taken UD as far as he could and I think we needed to part ways and the program was becoming stagnant with Gregory at the helm.

Either way, he wasn't a complete failure in the 8 years he was at the helm. Winning our first NCAA game in 20 years and winning the NIT were good accomplishments to be sure.

Best of luck, BG. You will need it and lots of it.

ClevelandFlyer05 03-28-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 (Post 221847)

What if it's UD-GT in the championship of the CBI?

rasta man 03-28-2011 08:56 AM

mixed emotions here, yeah the NIT title was nice but i think of all the unfulfilled expectations with these teams. Yeah he did improve the program but I felt he wasnt the guy to get us to the level of X and 'Zaga.

Hope he does well at GT

now the question is, who should we get, another assistant (a K ass't?) or a coach with proven experience? this time I want experience, too bad Anthony Grant had a good year at Alabama

ClevelandFlyer05 03-28-2011 09:00 AM

Seriously though, I wish him the best of luck at GT. He did some good things for the program and as I've always said, he was nothing but class and a great representative of the University. That said, I think it's best that both parties have the chance to start over fresh.

ihflyer 03-28-2011 09:01 AM

Can GT make the CBI

NCkevi 03-28-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levelbest
In the end, like AC91 - I fear we may be far more worse off than we are now. Of couse, it's also possible on the flip side as well.

That's my feeling as well. The hire probably won't happen until sometime in April and if we hire outside of BG's staff, you have to figure it will be difficult to bring in a quality new player or two for 2011; so depending on what the two recruits decide we could be looking at the same team with KD being the only addition and CW, JS, BS, and DS being the subtractions

NCkevi 03-28-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihflyer (Post 221899)
Can GT make the CBI

I'm more worried about UD - new coach, new system, maybe no new players - you never know. We could be dancing next season or looking up to Fordham from the bottom of the A10

cintibUD 03-28-2011 09:07 AM

Best of Luck BG!

Let's hope a wise decision is made in UD's coaching search.

CoffeeCan 03-28-2011 09:09 AM

I haven't been the biggest supporter of BG's offense scheme, lack of adjustments, etc. But I will say this: Who among us has not left a job to take on a challenge with a new, high profile employer? And more money to boot? Fresh start? I have nothing personal against BG and wish him luck. I really don't like any ACC team, so I might even catch myself rooting for the Jackets...

Now let's see if GT has the balls to come to UD Arena, especially after he knows the other side.

Jets Flyer 03-28-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer (Post 221886)
don't think BG intended to leave at did
First that's why he handled JS. But his meeting with TW may have not gone to his liking .

he made Wabler look bad

flyerfanatic86 03-28-2011 09:14 AM

This is perfect. I liked BG as a person. He's def. one of the good guys. But unfortunately, he just hasn't produced much in the conference. The timing of this is such that GT will likely have to pay a pile of cash to UD, we already lost 2 of our freshmen to transferring, and we only have a 2 man recruiting class (and one or both of those may stay depending on the hire.....A guy can still dream of Shaka jumping up and down on our sideline).

TommyGola 03-28-2011 09:19 AM

Good luck to you and your family BG. Hope to meet you in the NCAA tournament next year!

307Kiefaber 03-28-2011 09:28 AM

Wish list

1. Anthony Grant
2. Anthony Grant
3. Anthony Grant
4. Shaka Smart
5. Wojo
6. Boals

Fan4allUDSports 03-28-2011 09:41 AM

Two thoughts I had

1. What does this do to LF? Is the new coach going to use him much? Is he going to want to stay now that BG has left?

2. I think BG will be a good fit for GT. I think as some have said on here a better BCS coach then a A10 coach. He seems to rise to the challenge when we need him to so I think he will be good for the program will surprise some people next year, especially since he has four good returning players.

2a. At this point would it be good to play with a short bench next year, so whoever our new coach is can start to really work towards building the program his way? We do have 4 seniors and adding one or two to that could be the start of something really good. Especially with another 3 scholarships available the year afterwards.

NCkevi 03-28-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan4allUDSports
2a. At this point would it be good to play with a short bench next year, so whoever our new coach is can start to really work towards building the program his way? We do have 4 seniors and adding one or two to that could be the start of something really good. Especially with another 3 scholarships available the year afterwards.

Depending on who is hired and when he may not have much choice - we could lose the 2 incoming recruits and not really having a shot of a brand new coach getting in on new players to replace the two that just left - so we could be looking at a roster next year, assuming no one transfers, of

Dillard
Johnson
Parker
Williams
Benson
Kav
Luke
Oliver
Hill

Poot 03-28-2011 09:48 AM

Anyone know if Georgia Tech has any open scholarships? Have a feeling if they do some of the recruits will decide to follow Gregory.

Sea Bass 03-28-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poot (Post 221951)
Anyone know if Georgia Tech has any open scholarships? Have a feeling if they do some of the recruits will decide to follow Gregory.

having seen them IMO there are not the type of players you are going to need in the ACC.

ihflyer 03-28-2011 10:27 AM

My daughter goes to Alabama and Anthony Grant is not leaving Alabama for Dayton, get ovet that. We had a chance to land him for a few years and that hope has passed. Even though he plays 2nd fiddle to Football he has UA on the right track with a Young team. Makes too much money and is in the SEC. Look for real Good Things from them next year.

I know Dan Hipscher is AG Associate Head Coach but what about John Brannen who his top recruiter. Spent 3 years at VCU, also at St. Bonaventure and Eastern Kentucky

Viperstick 03-28-2011 10:38 AM

Good luck BG, you will be missed.

307Kiefaber 03-28-2011 10:42 AM

How about Danny Hurley? Would bring his brother, would open up East Coast recruiting ...

priceg75 03-28-2011 10:44 AM

Even if BG WAS forced out, he would never tell. He is that classy of a guy.

Mixed emotions for me, sad to see him go, but felt that we weren't going to progress much further with him at the helm. Excited for the future, and excited for BG. Good luck to him.

priceg75 03-28-2011 10:46 AM

Apparently, a lot of folks are wanting to read this article, because I haven't been able to access it on the DDN site yet.

San Diego Flyer 03-28-2011 10:51 AM

Needed some humor, and got it with this one

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihflyer (Post 221991)
My daughter goes to Alabama and Anthony Grant is not leaving Alabama for Dayton, get ovet that. We had a chance to land him for a few years and that hope has passed. Even though he plays 2nd fiddle to Football he has UA on the right track with a Young team. Makes too much money and is in the SEC. Look for real Good Things from them next year.

LOL. Pardon me, I respect your insight and view. But my first thought was, "His daughter is INVOLVED with Anthony Grant!! :eek: :)

C-time 03-28-2011 10:52 AM

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Words cannot express my happiness!

Donniex3Era 03-28-2011 12:12 PM

BG To Ga Tech -- ESPN.com

BG going to Ga. Tech

Sea Bass 03-28-2011 12:15 PM

for some reason I find this thread highly amusing. :)

ChampCar 03-28-2011 12:17 PM

FlyerDan 03-28-2011 12:20 PM

ESPN scoops again. It must be official now.

UD93 Steve 04-07-2011 08:42 AM

Gregory Missed

At the bottom of the Sedric Toney Article today:

GREGORY MISSED: After freshmen Juwan Staten and Brandon Spearman transferred, there were rumblings that players had soured on coach Brian Gregory and would have preferred playing for someone else.

Not true, said junior forward Luke Fabrizius.
“Everybody on this team would say they loved playing for BG,” Fabrizius said. “People use the term ‘player’s coach.’ He was definitely a player’s coach. Everybody gets along with him. He would do anything for us, and I think we can say we’d do the same thing for him.”

At least one former Flyer shared that sentiment. When Gregory left to take the Georgia Tech job, Charles Little, who graduated in 2009 and is playing professionally in Portugal, put this post on his Facebook page: “Dayton, Ohio, the place that changed my life. Brian Gregory the man who saved my life!!”

Like his coaching or not, he didn't leave the program with too many enemies. I think it says a lot about what UD is all about.

UD Sam 04-09-2011 01:09 PM

BG Picks Assistant Coach

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, so decided to post it here.

"Former Dayton coach Brian Gregory has added an assistant coach to his staff at Georgia Tech.

New UD coach Archie Miller is still putting together his staff. Two Gregory assistants, associate head coach Billy Schmidt and Jon Borovich, who took a job with Northern Illinois, won’t be back. Cornell Mann could possible land a job on Miller’s staff. He has been a confidant for the Flyer players."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot

San Diego Flyer 04-09-2011 01:41 PM

Smart BG pick. Atlanta roots, Atlanta HS player, great recruiter.

I would think Archie will do the same. Some assistants immersed in midwest
contacts and recruiting. Maybe a Big Ten guy accustomed to a different level
of recruit.