UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   McKinley Wright (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30774)

JimBo 03-27-2017 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 499980)
So I guess you'd lose respect for Crean if he poached all these studs from IU and brought them to UD?

I wouldn't! :D

http://www.insidethehall.com/2017-in...ruiting-board/

All is Royally fair in politics, war, love and recruiting.

No, I wouldn't particularly care for it, although it is quite difference scenarios. Crean didn't voluntarily leave his position for greener pastures, he was fired. I really don't want Crean at UD anyways.

I realize it's a different time and collegiate athletics has become more and more like professional sports, but someone in Miller's position could set an example and demonstrate class by leaving UD's recruits alone. He's done enough damage by leaving, leave them alone.

If college athletics has come to the point where everything is fair and as dirty as politics, then I'm going to continue to lose more and more interest in it. I'm not the fan of college basketball as I used to be simply because it's become what it is today, driven by greed and money.

ClaytonFlyerFan 03-27-2017 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 499980)

All is Royally fair in politics, war, love and recruiting.

So can you hook me up with the queens number? :D

Atlantic 10 03-27-2017 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 499944)
Follow up comment from same journalist that he is waiting to see if Ostrom gets elevated.

This so called journalist needs to do better on wording, or there could be NCAA investigating

shocka43 03-27-2017 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 499992)
So can you hook me up with the queens number? :D

You don't have it? Oh yeah. You weren't at the last roundtable!

ClaytonFlyerFan 03-27-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shocka43 (Post 499998)
You don't have it? Oh yeah. You weren't at the last roundtable!

I will let you all know when I am out of town again, so you can schedule the next one for me to conveniently (for all of you) be unavailable to attend.

rollo 03-27-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonflyerfan (Post 499992)
so can you hook me up with the queens number? :d

38-26-34 ;)

John C. 03-27-2017 10:05 PM

I get the excitement for Wright, but we have 4 other recruits that are pretty good. Not sure why they don't have their own thread.

Smitty10 03-27-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. (Post 500012)
I get the excitement for Wright, but we have 4 other recruits that are pretty good. Not sure why they don't have their own thread.

I'm guessing it's without a 2nd point guard, we're not sure we'll be able to get the ball up the court and score points. We can make a full basketball team with MW.

TA111 03-27-2017 10:27 PM

Wolfson just tweeted that if Ostrom stays, Wright will stay.https://mobile.twitter.com/DWolfsonK...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Atlantic 10 03-27-2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA111 (Post 500022)
Wolfson just tweeted that if Ostrom stays, Wright will stay.https://mobile.twitter.com/DWolfsonK...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

MK should never tweeted this,it opens​ up a can of worms on the wording. Kids and social media

podcast411 03-28-2017 12:01 AM

6h
Darren Wolfson‏ @DWolfsonKSTP
Talked w/ Mr. Basketball @Ballislife_025. Said he has spot at Indiana, if he wants. #Gophers among those to touch base w/ 1 of his coaches.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DWolfsonK...80341565091841

NCkevi 03-28-2017 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 499740)
That's recruiting, nothing dirty about that. Archie and Co have been talking to this kid daily for well over a year. The relationship is there. It isn't like these are just pieces in a puzzle with no emotions or relationships involved.

Who paid airfare, food and lodging for Archie and his assistants to travel to watch him play? While they were recruiting him who was paying the coaches salaries?

FlyingArrow 03-28-2017 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. (Post 500012)

I figured it was because Wright made a relevant tweet that sparked this thread.

joeybaloney 03-28-2017 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCkevi (Post 500032)
Who paid airfare, food and lodging for Archie and his assistants to travel to watch him play? While they were recruiting him who was paying the coaches salaries?

I agree with this sentiment completely. Archie recruited these guys on UD's dime. I really respected BG's handling of Henton and Gibson, encouraging them to stay at UD. I understand Archie is IU's coach now, but he's gotta know how badly we need MW considering Crosby's lack of development. IU is a little easier school to recruit to, find another **** PG. I respect Coach Miller very much and am rooting for him to do big things at IU, but if he poaches any of our incoming recruits I will lose a lot of that respect.

Smitty10 03-28-2017 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeybaloney (Post 500035)
I agree with this sentiment completely. Archie recruited these guys on UD's dime. I really respected BG's handling of Henton and Gibson, encouraging them to stay at UD. I understand Archie is IU's coach now, but he's gotta know how badly we need MW considering Crosby's lack of development. IU is a little easier school to recruit to, find another **** PG. I respect Coach Miller very much and am rooting for him to do big things at IU, but if he poaches any of our incoming recruits I will lose a lot of that respect.

It's a little trickier than that. The one entity that gets screwed the worst in this situation are the recruits. The recruit used all the precious time he had to research and find his best fit. In most cases this means coach/basketball first, school second. The recruit can now go back to his 2nd and 3rd choices but there's a good chance that there's no openings there. If the recruit doesn't want to play for the new coach, wants to play for the former coach and there's a spot that the former coach can use this player, then is it ethically right to refuse to "poach" him?

Now I agree that if Archie initiates the opportunity before being contacted by the recruit, this is dirty and unethical. But if the recruit finds it important to his college basketball career to play for Archie and there's a spot for him and the recruit initiates contact, I think Archie's ethics priority goes to the player rather than his former school.

longtimefan67 03-28-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 500040)
It's a little trickier than that. The one entity that gets screwed the worst in this situation are the recruits. The recruit used all the precious time he had to research and find his best fit. In most cases this means coach/basketball first, school second. The recruit can now go back to his 2nd and 3rd choices but there's a good chance that there's no openings there. If the recruit doesn't want to play for the new coach, wants to play for the former coach and there's a spot that the former coach can use this player, then is it ethically right to refuse to "poach" him?

Now I agree that if Archie initiates the opportunity before being contacted by the recruit, this is dirty and unethical. But if the recruit finds it important to his college basketball career to play for Archie and there's a spot for him and the recruit initiates contact, I think Archie's ethics priority goes to the player rather than his former school.

Your logic is so ****ed-up on so many levels...where do I begin or should I bother? I guess I will...

>>>The one entity that gets screwed the worst in this situation are the recruits. <<< Exactly how? Does the recruit still have a UD scholarship sitting there waiting on him?

>>>The recruit used all the precious time he had to research and find his best fit. In most cases this means coach/basketball first, school second. <<<
If I were gifted enough to play and be recruited to be a division 1 college basketball player, would I be looking at my likely career AFTER basketball and what the SCHOOL offers in terms of career development/degree? What happens if the coach dies before the player ever makes the first practice? Shouldn't any coach be telling these guys your chances of making it to the "well-paying pro level" is like 1 in 100?

>>>If the recruit doesn't want to play for the new coach, wants to play for the former coach and there's a spot that the former coach can use this player, then is it ethically right to refuse to "poach" him?<<<
All to often, when a coach leaves and a new coach is hired, you see the new coach cleaning house to make room for "his" recruits to follow him. See John Calipari (any place he's ever been) and watch his "actions". How completely unethical is that? Someone else suggested that players should be able to follow the coach when his coach leaves to take another job. That should only be allowed to happen without penalty if the new coach (in this case Dayton) tells the player he's been released from obligation. If Archie poaches players from UD, he'll destroy any legacy (and respect) that he's earned.

BeckysTXA 03-28-2017 09:25 AM

Agree 100%. If Archie poaches any player coming next year, he is not sincere in his appreciation for the players on the current roster, the Flyer Faithful and UD as a whole. Everything he has said about all of his time and relationships during his time in Dayton would have been a lie because you do not treat family like that. In his tweet the other day to say goodbye, he told the players on this team he would always be there for them. Well put your words into actions. Tell me how poaching one of their future teammates would fit those words. A recruit buys into many pieces of the total pie. The academics/school. The facilities. The conference. All their future teammates. Where they fit into the cycle of playing time. The fan base support. And, yes the coach(es).

If a coach leaves and poaches a recruit coming in the next year, he does it for one reason and one reason only. He does it to advance his career and success. Everything else be ****ed. Either Archie has honor or he doesn't. Either he is honest when he says he appreciates what the players, University and Flyer Faithful did to advance his career goals, or it was all lip service. If he has honor, he won't screw-over these people because you don't do that to family and trueteam will have been a lie. I'm counting on him being an honorable man.

TommyGola 03-28-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBo (Post 499978)
If Archie is truly trying to poach players he recruited to Dayton, then I've lost all respect for him. It'll be putting his true colors on full display. Somehow, I'm not all that surprised.

That's why I commented on it being "dirty." You don't crap all over a program that gave him the opportunity of a lifetime. Archie can move on and I respect that, but if he either poaches or accepts a UD recruit, I have lost all respect for him.

steve 03-28-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 500065)
Your logic is so ****ed-up on so many levels...where do I begin or should I bother? I guess I will...

>>>The one entity that gets screwed the worst in this situation are the recruits. <<< Exactly how? Does the recruit still have a UD scholarship sitting there waiting on him?

>>>The recruit used all the precious time he had to research and find his best fit. In most cases this means coach/basketball first, school second. <<<
If I were gifted enough to play and be recruited to be a division 1 college basketball player, would I be looking at my likely career AFTER basketball and what the SCHOOL offers in terms of career development/degree? What happens if the coach dies before the player ever makes the first practice? Shouldn't any coach be telling these guys your chances of making it to the "well-paying pro level" is like 1 in 100?

>>>If the recruit doesn't want to play for the new coach, wants to play for the former coach and there's a spot that the former coach can use this player, then is it ethically right to refuse to "poach" him?<<<
All to often, when a coach leaves and a new coach is hired, you see the new coach cleaning house to make room for "his" recruits to follow him. See John Calipari (any place he's ever been) and watch his "actions". How completely unethical is that? Someone else suggested that players should be able to follow the coach when his coach leaves to take another job. That should only be allowed to happen without penalty if the new coach (in this case Dayton) tells the player he's been released from obligation. If Archie poaches players from UD, he'll destroy any legacy (and respect) that he's earned.

Look, it ain't a good situation for anybody here but you can try to use your logic all day long (and it's not incorrect) but you can't avoid at looking at this thru the player's eyes either. Most all of these kids think their s___t don't stink and believe they can go pro. You can believe what you want but almost 100% recruiting is about "comfort and relationships". That's the relationship with the coaches and comfort with the players on the team mainly and whatever else that "said" player was able to get familiar with on his visit(s) which ain't much since they are with the team almost the entire visit.

I don't disagree that kids should commit to the school far more than the coach but that's not happening nor realistic most of the time..Way too many multi-millionaire coaches with awe-struck reputations that these kids see on TV all the time come into your living room and "they" (not the school) tell you how "they" (not the school) will take care of the kid and how "they" (not the school) will get them to the NBA.

There are plenty of kids that commit to a school very early in the process and "said" coach looks them and their parents squarely in the eye and says what a "great 4 years we'll have". That is very influential. Meanwhile, several other enticing schools come in for the "hook, line, and sinker" and the kid and the family tell them it's too late. Either way, there is blame to go around to all but just as much where you can't blame all parties for now being left in this position and especially the kid and the new coach coming into what can be a dumpster fire.

FlyerGuyer 03-28-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

All to often, when a coach leaves and a new coach is hired, you see the new coach cleaning house to make room for "his" recruits to follow him. See John Calipari (any place he's ever been) and watch his "actions". How completely unethical is that?

Well, Calipari is "very close" (in fact, possibly related) to the Millers, and he basically lobbied for Archie to get the IU job, so.....

longtimefan67 03-28-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer (Post 500087)
Well, Calipari is "very close" (in fact, possibly related) to the Millers, and he basically lobbied for Archie to get the IU job, so.....

So at least one person picked up on the subliminal suggestion...he IS in fact related to AM. Hate to say this (on second thought, I don't hate to say it...) but this reeks of JC's influence...

Avid Flyer 03-28-2017 09:58 AM

John Miller seemed as surprised as anyone, but was/is that just Miller talk. We will see if AM walks the walk or just talk the talk.

Hard to believe if a University is all that Big of a program on the national level they'd have to poach or steal players from a mid major program. If you are aspiring to again be relevant in the national top 10 then act like it and get your own recruits.

momszer 03-28-2017 10:02 AM

Wolfson was just having a convo with a friend of mine who's a journalist for the Xenia Post Gazzette. His comment was more opinion from all the crap we've all read. He probably got his fake news from reading all your speculative posts on UD Pride. :-)

DallasFlyer 03-28-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

I have no problem with Calipari or anyone else coming in to a new situation, and being honest with the new guys regarding playing time. That strikes me as the ethical thing to do. Now, it does really suck though if a new coach comes in and says basically you are very unlikely to get playing time in his system as that essentially forces you to transfer and sit a year. But it is what it is.

Quote:

You know I find myself not disliking Calipari quite as much. He's definitely slimy. And I still don't like him by any stretch but I think the guy is not all bad. Mostly bad, but not all bad. If there's one redeeming quality about that guy, I think it's loyalty to his guys. The Millers are his guys. He grew up with them. They are cousins or whatever. John Miller coached him. So he's going to bat for these (his) guys, no matter what.

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 500088)
So at least one person picked up on the subliminal suggestion...he IS in fact related to AM. Hate to say this (on second thought, I don't hate to say it...) but this reeks of JC's influence...

Not sure what you are implying. That Calipari is trying to screw Dayton? Calipari couldn't care less what Dayton does. Dayton does not really pose a threat to how he operates. Conversely, Kentucky and Indiana are always going to do battle for recruits (and fans since their fanbases overlap). So there's really no reason for Calipari to endorse a candidate for the Indiana job. Except that it's one of his guys. If he loses a recruiting battle somewhere along the way because of it, so be it. He stuck up for a Miller because those are his guys.

224 03-28-2017 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin (Post 499972)
Would lose a lot of respect for Archie if he takes any recruits/players to Indiana. Just bad form.

If and when Dayton releases a player, I believe Dayton can say cannot sign with A-10, Indiana, etc. Not for sure here, would be curious.

Archie gets paid to win. If there's a kid out there he thinks can help him win, he will go after that kid. If he reached out to MW and offered him a spot, you may not like it, but it's business.

Archie is going to be on a short leash. I'm sure he'd rather get his guys in there ASAP then settle on someone else and endure a few bumpy years. He's not worried about hurting people's feelings at UD, he's worried about winning and being successful at Indiana. You can be sincere and honest in appreciating your time at UD while still understanding its a business and you get paid to win. If he gets fried from IU, 'being sincere abt his time at UD' won't get him anywhere.

If you switched jobs and were managing people, you'd want the best team in place to succeed day 1. Happens all the time in the real world. It doesn't happen often in college basketball because rarely are there kids who can play at the next level. How many kids on our roster were recruited by Indiana? That's why you didn't hear anything about Brad Brownell taking kids from WSU to Clemson or Kevin Keatts taking kids from UNC Wilmington to NC St.

FlyerGuyer 03-28-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 500104)
You know I find myself not disliking Calipari quite as much. He's definitely slimy. And I still don't like him by any stretch but I think the guy is not all bad. Mostly bad, but not all bad. If there's one redeeming quality about that guy, I think it's loyalty to his guys. The Millers are his guys. He grew up with them. John Miller coached him. And he's going to bat for these (his) guys, no matter what. Kentucky and Indiana are always going to do battle for recruits, and there's no reason for Calipari to endorse a candidate for the Indiana job. Except that it's one of his guys. If he loses a recruiting battle somewhere along the way because of it, so be it. He stuck up for his guy.

Great post. Loyalty appears to be one of his virtuous characteristics. And he wins. He knows how to win.

But all that seems to trump ethics in his world, and probably not the guy you want to "mentor" your school's coach, if you know what I mean. That's always been in the back of mind, that Archie is a fantastic coach, but he has some "Calipari" in him...

UD93 Steve 03-28-2017 10:26 AM

If this is still a thread about McKinnley Wright, I though I would post that the DDN is reporting that if Ostrom is not hired, Wright is likely going to IU. Source is a Minnesota TV station.

TerryK_67 03-28-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

I always felt Archie was a standup guy that is as honest as the day is long.... and maybe he is... but if I step back and look at his ties to Calipari, Crean, the Harbaughs, ... not really outstanding basketball citizens in my book. Umm guilty by association???? just thinking out loud!

TA111 03-28-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 224 (Post 500106)
Archie gets paid to win. If there's a kid out there he thinks can help him win, he will go after that kid. If he reached out to MW and offered him a spot, you may not like it, but it's business.

Archie is going to be on a short leash. I'm sure he'd rather get his guys in there ASAP then settle on someone else and endure a few bumpy years. He's not worried about hurting people's feelings at UD, he's worried about winning and being successful at Indiana. You can be sincere and honest in appreciating your time at UD while still understanding its a business and you get paid to win. If he gets fried from IU, 'being sincere abt his time at UD' won't get him anywhere.

If you switched jobs and were managing people, you'd want the best team in place to succeed day 1. Happens all the time in the real world. It doesn't happen often in college basketball because rarely are there kids who can play at the next level. How many kids on our roster were recruited by Indiana? That's why you didn't hear anything about Brad Brownell taking kids from WSU to Clemson or Kevin Keatts taking kids from UNC Wilmington to NC St.

You are forgetting one very important point. It is in violation of NCAA rules to contact a player who is under NLI with another school. If Miller contacted him directly or through surrogates he could be in trouble. He needs to stay away from recruits under NLI-period.

FlyerGuyer 03-28-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryK_67 (Post 500111)
I always felt Archie was a standup guy that is as honest as the day is long.... and maybe he is... but if I step back and look at his ties to Calipari, Crean, the Harbaughs, ... not really outstanding basketball citizens in my book. Umm guilty by association???? just thinking out loud!

Archie has ties to Crean and the Harbaughs?

BeckysTXA 03-28-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UD93 Steve (Post 500110)
If this is still a thread about McKinnley Wright, I though I would post that the DDN is reporting that if Ostrom is not hired, Wright is likely going to IU. Source is a Minnesota TV station.

This is the same sourcing as noted above in this thread. It's not a new source saying this and the DDN has not talked to Wright. And they haven't talked to the original post guy in MN. I almost can't believe they would report this based on one source's Internet post. Back on my day of working for newspapers, we had to have two sources on something like this and we had to have actually talked to the person to count it as a source. It's one thing to retweet a post. It's another to write up an article and place it on your online newspaper paper front page.

steve 03-28-2017 10:40 AM

longtimefan67 03-28-2017 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA (Post 500118)
This is the same sourcing as noted above in this thread. It's not a new source saying this and the DDN has not talked to Wright. And they haven't talked to the original post guy in MN. I almost can't believe they would report this based on one source's Internet post. Back on my day of working for newspapers, we had to have two sources on something like this and we had to have actually talked to the person to count it as a source. It's one thing to retweet a post. It's another to write up an article and place it on your online newspaper paper front page.

You're forgetting one thing: The DDN is nowhere near the newspaper it once was. It does however burn very well in the fireplace...

DallasFlyer 03-28-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer (Post 500093)
John Miller seemed as surprised as anyone, but was/is that just Miller talk. We will see if AM walks the walk or just talk the talk.

Hard to believe if a University is all that Big of a program on the national level they'd have to poach or steal players from a mid major program. If you are aspiring to again be relevant in the national top 10 then act like it and get your own recruits.

It's not like Archie has a separate recruiting pipeline up and running - aside from the guys who already committed to Indiana that he is now re-recruiting. For Archie, success starts with the PG position, and McKinley was his number one target at that most important position. As the prevailing wisdom seems to be that McKinley Wright could play for just about anyone in the country, I don't blame him for wanting him. Archie shouldn't be going after him, but of all our recruits, the temptation is clearly greatest with him.

shwag33 03-28-2017 10:54 AM

Archie starts his career at IU with a ncaa violations investigation?

DallasFlyer 03-28-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer (Post 500114)
Archie has ties to Crean and the Harbaughs?

Aside from the fact that he is taking over the program formerly coached by Tom Crean, who married a Harbaugh, not that I know of. He'll forever be compared to Crean though. Especially if Dayton managed to hire Crean!

JimBo 03-28-2017 10:58 AM

If all of the great things Miller has said about UD and his time here is true, and considering everything he has accomplished, he takes a serious risk of tarnishing it all if he is trying to poach Flyer recruits. Is it so important that he's not at all concerned about burning bridges that can never be repaired?

Flyer'95 03-28-2017 11:00 AM

Hard to believe they'd print a story based on one tweet. I haven't seen any such things come from mckinley himself. Even if he told this reporter such a thing, it doesn't confirm that Archie or anyone representing Archie has contacted mckinley wright. It could just be an 18 year old kid being confident. i.e. 'I'm sure archie would give me a spot at IU if i wanted it' type of thing.

You can't litigate this stuff through suggestions and third party hearsay tweets. Let this play out. I'm not saying MW will end up a Flyer or not. I'm just saying making accusations about he or archie committing recruiting violations won't help the UD cause. Everybody take a breath.

Sea Bass 03-28-2017 11:05 AM

I would ignore it. UD can eliminate IU with a sentence is the release. The guys he is wanting at IU are not going to translate to "from UD".

TA111 03-28-2017 11:05 AM

The only person who has talked to Wright is the MN reporter. Of course we don't know what exactly was said, but where would this young man get the idea he was assured a spot at IU?
Again, this will play itself out, but the bottom line is no coach other the UD's staff should be currently talking with our recruits under NLI.

DallasFlyer 03-28-2017 11:18 AM

McKinley knows he was Archie's number one priority so unless Archie went out of his way to tell him that he wouldn't have a spot, I can see why McKinley would think that.

My guess is Archie called each of his recruits to inform them before resigning at Dayton that he was taking the Indiana job. Now, put yourself in the recruit's position. You are going to ask Archie what options you have, and whether there would be a spot for you at Indiana if you were to be released from Dayton. Who knows exactly how Archie answered that, but anything but a firm "no" would probably be enough to put the thought in the recruits mind, there could be a spot for him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shwag33 (Post 500128)
Archie starts his career at IU with a ncaa violations investigation?

No chance of NCAA investigation on this. As long as the contact was initiated while still the coach at Dayton, I don't think there's a recruiting violation there. But it really doesn't matter. Because Dayton is not going to complain about tampering, or call in the NCAA. What's done is done, and if they don't want McKinley to follow Archie, all they have to do is release McKinley with IU on the restricted list. That is literally why this rule exists. Dayton would probably give him a full release, with only Indiana as a restricted transfer option, and I don't think anyone would criticize Dayton for that. It's standing operating procedure.

flyerfanatic86 03-28-2017 11:32 AM

If a kid doesn't want to come here, I don't want him. Wright can stay a Flyer and I'll be happy, but if a kid would be happier elsewhere, then he should go. I don't think it's particularly sleazy. It's not like Archie is stealing University printers on his way out the door. These are humans who have minds of their own and if they want to go with the coach they built a relationship with, they should be free to go.

SLUFLYER 03-28-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 (Post 500145)
It's not like Archie is stealing University printers on his way out the door.

If he wants the printers, he can have them. Please just leave the good recruits and release any questionable ones.

C-time 03-28-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA111 (Post 500112)
You are forgetting one very important point. It is in violation of NCAA rules to contact a player who is under NLI with another school. If Miller contacted him directly or through surrogates he could be in trouble. He needs to stay away from recruits under NLI-period.

This is very simple folks. Archie and the other coaches who are interested in McKinley have contacted his HS or AAU coach and expressed their interest. There is no NCAA rule against this. The coach then told McKinley who he has spoken to and then McKinley told the reporter that info. McKinley probably should have just told the reporter "My coach told me a few schools have contacted him and I'm just waiting to see how everything plays out.", but he is an 18 year old HS student and was honest which was a mistake in this case.

And as a friendly reminder: Whatever happens Don't Tweet Recruits!!!!

Atlantic 10 03-28-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 500154)
This is very simple folks. Archie and the other coaches who are interested in McKinley have contacted his HS or AAU coach and expressed their interest. There is no NCAA rule against this. The coach then told McKinley who he has spoken to and then McKinley told the reporter that info. McKinley probably should have just told the reporter "My coach told me a few schools have contacted him and I'm just waiting to see how everything plays out.", but he is an 18 year old HS student and was honest which was a mistake in this case.

And as a friendly reminder: Whatever happens Don't Tweet Recruits!!!!

MW instagram this morning saying, Keeping Silent. Someone told him to shut up

AZFlyer85 03-28-2017 12:18 PM

Good to see MK silent - he has a right to his opinion, however publicly stating he wants Ostrom as coach reeks of attempted Billy Staten control of our program.

I want MK badly, but the world won't end without him.

FlyerGuyer 03-28-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 (Post 500166)
Good to see MK silent - he has a right to his opinion, however publicly stating he wants Ostrom as coach reeks of attempted Billy Staten control of our program.

And how about that tweet from that d-bag Wolfson: Let's make this nice and easy.

Please. Wolfsie can take his nice and easy and stick it where the sun don't shine. LOL

DallasFlyer 03-28-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Billy Staten was a grown ass man. McKinley Wright is an 18 year old kid, who just got thrown a curveball he didn't see coming. He doesn't know who Dayton is going to hire and he's worried about it just like we are all. He has a great relationship with one of the Dayton assistant coaches, and he wants that guy to be hired. Just like most of us have a first choice. It matters to us. But it REALLY matters to McKinley. Absolutely no reason to criticize him, even if he ultimately decides Dayton is no longer for him at some point.

Also, why are we abbreviating McKinley Wright as MK?

DallasFlyer 03-28-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer (Post 500167)
And how about that tweet from that d-bag Wolfson: Let's make this nice and easy.

Please. Wolfsie can take his nice and easy and stick it where the sun don't shine. LOL

That's fair. He seems to have an agenda, and is meddling. He kind of compares to Billy Staten in this way if you really want to bring him into it, although still pretty different situations.

momszer 03-28-2017 12:32 PM

Once again, John Calipari is not related to the Millers. Miller was his coach in high school and
remains a very close friend of the family. Per Calipari himself during an interview on CBS saying how well Archie will do at Hoosierville.

From Dictionary.com seems fitting. :-)
Hoosier
[hoo-zher]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
noun
a native or inhabitant of Indiana (used as a nickname).
(usually lowercase) any awkward, unsophisticated person, especially a rustic.

C-time 03-28-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 500168)
Also, why are we abbreviating McKinley Wright as MK?

I've been wondering this exact same thing! I thought it was because Rollo wanted Matt Kavanaugh to be a graduate assistant coach.

TA111 03-28-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Disagree on the Staten comparison. If you know the history, UD, mainly through Ostrom, started recruiting MW almost 3 years ago. A close bond was formed and the young man wants to see if the coach who he formed a bond with will be the coach. Nothing more than that.

Flyers98 03-28-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBo (Post 500132)
If all of the great things Miller has said about UD and his time here is true, and considering everything he has accomplished, he takes a serious risk of tarnishing it all if he is trying to poach Flyer recruits. Is it so important that he's not at all concerned about burning bridges that can never be repaired?

He doesn't care about tarnishing anything. He cares about himself, his job and winning. I love what Archie did at UD but that is over. As far as I'm concerned he lit every bridge on fire when he left, he isn't coming back, he isn't looking out for Dayton, he is gone. I remember when people on this board thought it was sleezy the way Sean handled the X to AZ thing. How is this any different? I just don't get all the people who want to throw this guy an appreciation parade. He left because it was better for him, he may look back upon his time here fondly but there was no sense of loyalty, no "what will happen to UD if I go" consideration. He did what was best for him. He is no longer the coach at UD and has no loyalty to UD which is why I don't understand why so many people feel like we/they should be loyal to him.

If he committed an NCAA violation, I hope the NCAA burns him and Indiana to the ground. This is a dirty business and while it may upset me, I won't complain about the stuff that is ugly but above board. I will however insist that the NCAA punish all violations to the fullest extent possible, especially when it is their flagship programs that are dealing dirty.

FlyerGuyer 03-28-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA111 (Post 500173)
Disagree on the Staten comparison. If you know the history, UD, mainly through Ostrom, started recruiting MW almost 3 years ago. A close bond was formed and the young man wants to see if the coach who he formed a bond with will be the coach. Nothing more than that.

That's fine, but publicly making threats like "hire him or else" is over the line. Maybe not necessarily from MW (I don't follow twitter accounts from high school kids), but from guys like Wolfson. It's simply inappropriate, but if you all pucker up real good, Wolfsie's gonna make this real nice and easy for you...

m21eagle45 03-28-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer (Post 500186)
That's fine, but publicly making threats like "hire him or else" is over the line. Maybe not necessarily from MW (I don't follow twitter accounts from high school kids), but from guys like Wolfson. It's simply inappropriate, but if you all pucker up real good, Wolfsie's gonna make this real nice and easy for you...

I didn't take it as hire Ostrum or else. I took it more as he would definitely stay if that coach was picked. I know its semantics, but it's different.

SLUFLYER 03-28-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 500187)
I didn't take it as hire Ostrum or else. I took it more as he would definitely stay if that coach was picked. I know its semantics, but it's different.

Doesn't sound like Ostrom is even on the radar for serious HC role, but he could very well assume the associate HC tag and perhaps that keeps MWright at Dayton.

FlyerGuyer 03-28-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 500187)

Still don't like the public politicking, however you want to spin it. These things should be done more privately. Right now the top story at DDN is: Archie Miller May Take Top Recruit With Him To Indiana.

swish61 03-28-2017 01:40 PM

It doesn't sound to me like he is even saying Ostrom has to be HEAD Coach. Just HIS coach. As in as long as Ostrom stays, even as just an assistant, he was good with that.

jumpin' joe 03-28-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 (Post 500145)
If a kid doesn't want to come here, I don't want him. Wright can stay a Flyer and I'll be happy, but if a kid would be happier elsewhere, then he should go.

That's exactly what Jimmy Binnie said about Trent Meacham.

C-time 03-28-2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER (Post 500189)
Doesn't sound like Ostrom is even on the radar for serious HC role, but he could very well assume the associate HC tag and perhaps that keeps MWright at Dayton.

If Sullivan can pull the Kuwik head coach and Ostrom associate head coach deal off I would be impressed. I think the only way it gets pulled off is if they pay Ostrom at least 500k which would be a lot for an A10 assistant, but since Kuwik would only be making (800k-1million?) which is less than Archie UD could afford it. For some reference Kenny Payne the top assistant at Kentucky made 750k this year and will make 800k next year.

TA111 03-28-2017 01:58 PM

For those interested, here is the interview with MW. http://kstp.com/sports/mckinley-wrig...tball/4437405/
Seems like a very nice young man.

CT Flyer 03-28-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA111 (Post 500197)
For those interested, here is the interview with MW. http://kstp.com/sports/mckinley-wrig...tball/4437405/

Sounds like a nice kid and carries himself well.

The reporter sounds like a typical jock sniffing douche bag!!!

hawkoooo 03-28-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER (Post 500189)

Apparently you haven't seen the BR tweet. Even if you haven't I'm not sure where this comes from, as many people on this board and in the media have expressed the possibility of an assistant like Ostrum or Kuwik getting bumped up to HC.

jumpin' joe 03-28-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA111 (Post 500197)

Very impressive. Handles himself extremely well. We need that type of person/player at Dayton!

Smitty10 03-28-2017 02:16 PM

This MW thing has so many ramifications now. If he does consider staying, does he now demand playing time? Starter minutes?

Wonder how John Crosby feels about all of this. Bowing to MW's preferences, could mean he will want to jump ship. While I doubt very seriously if that's what they will be doing if they hired Ostrom, it still puts a question mark in a lot of people's minds. There's a chance no matter how this all works out, we might only have one point guard next year.

This is why MW should've just kept his mouth shut to begin with.

m21eagle45 03-28-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 500208)
This MW thing has so many ramifications now. If he does consider staying, does he now demand playing time? Starter minutes?

Wonder how John Crosby feels about all of this. Bowing to MW's preferences, could mean he will want to jump ship. While I doubt very seriously if that's what they will be doing if they hired Ostrom, it still puts a question mark in a lot of people's minds. There's a chance no matter how this all works out, we might only have one point guard next year.

This is the problem with message boards. People take what someone says and totally twist the meaning. Then they go on and speculate over their twisting someones words. For instance, now you are talking about him demanding starters minutes and bowing to MW's preferences.

If they hire Ostrom, it is not to keep 1 recruit. It is because they feel he is the best for the job. Period, case closed. None of those other things are even being considered and shouldn't be speculated about.

Sitdowndigger 03-28-2017 02:31 PM

Quote:

Maybe Crosby will work on his weaknesses more...j/k, no I am not. MW is 18, his head has to be spinning...coached to keep quiet and is now. The kid is player of the year in MN, blessed with crazy skills. Obviously he grew tight with Ostrom and wants him to be around. I get it and have zero issue with this learning experience. Ostrom and Kuwik should be rewarded, not for a particular recruit, but for everything they've done, including multiple recruits.
Posted via Mobile Device

SLUFLYER 03-28-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 500202)
Apparently you haven't seen the BR tweet. Even if you haven't I'm not sure where this comes from, as many people on this board and in the media have expressed the possibility of an assistant like Ostrum or Kuwik getting bumped up to HC.

Most of the media I have seen, and on this board particularly, have only suggested Kuwik as an elevation option. I don't think I have seen a single suggestion outside this board (I guess there's a BR tweet) and certainly not in the mainstream media that has mentioned Ostrom's name.

Sitdowndigger 03-28-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER (Post 500215)
Most of the media I have seen, and on this board particularly, have only suggested Kuwik as an elevation option. I don't think I have seen a single suggestion outside this board (I guess there's a BR tweet) and certainly not in the mainstream media that has mentioned Ostrom's name.

Not saying it's Breitbart but...

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-32717/
Posted via Mobile Device

DallasFlyer 03-28-2017 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER (Post 500215)

Mark Adams is about the only guy I've seen really hyping Kuwik as far as media goes. I definitely think Ostrom is getting the most hype of the internal candidates among media types. You've got that D-Bag Wolfson, who is a sports anchor in Minneapolis. Then you've got all these craptacular coaching candidate articles like this one from something called Hero Sports... http://herosports.com/news/archie-mi...ent-coach-ahah listing Ostrom and Allen Griffin as candidates. They don't know who Kevin Kuwik is apparently.

EDIT - Forgot about that Hoopdirt posting. Another good example of media all in on Ostrom, no mention of Kuwik.

SLUFLYER 03-28-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

There's a bunch of references to this above that you must have missed, but it doesn't appear that MW is any way dictating, requesting or threatening anything based on his commitment and the potential head coach.

To suggest he's the kind of player who will start demanding certain minutes or starting is really jumping to some conclusions based on a tweet from a guy who appears to have had some kind of dialogue with the recruit.

Bowing to MW's preferences? That's not what's going on. Sorry, but posts like this are uniformed and making it worse.

SLUFLYER 03-28-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 500221)
Mark Adams is about the only guy I've seen really hyping Kuwik as far as media goes. I definitely think Ostrom is getting the most hype of the internal candidates among media types. You've got that D-Bag Wolfson, who is a sports anchor in Minneapolis. Then you've got all these craptacular coaching candidate articles like this one from something called Hero Sports... http://herosports.com/news/archie-mi...ent-coach-ahah listing Ostrom and Allen Griffin as candidates. They don't know who Kevin Kuwik is apparently.

EDIT - Forgot about that Hoopdirt posting. Another good example of media all in on Ostrom, no mention of Kuwik.

Yet our own board has an entire thread for Kuwik?

DallasFlyer 03-28-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER (Post 500227)
Yet our own board has an entire thread for Kuwik?

Well, yes. But so does Ray Parker...

lhsgolf19 03-28-2017 03:47 PM

IndianaRivals‏ @IndianaRivals 35m35 minutes ago

Via @JWellsTH, Archie Miller hopes Dayton signee stays put ($)
https://twitter.com/IndianaRivals/st...01707749326851

Short and sweet, he hopes McKinley honors his LOI to UD

AC91 03-28-2017 03:48 PM

you beat me to the punch. Good on Archie.

JimBo 03-28-2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 500232)

Does anyone really believe this? Chances are much better of him landing at Indiana than it is at UD. More coach speak.

lhsgolf19 03-28-2017 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBo (Post 500236)
Does anyone really believe this? Chances are much better of him landing at Indiana than it is at UD. More coach speak.

We'll see... I do think it is coach speak

SLUFLYER 03-28-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 500232)

Saw that too. Couldn't read the thread/link, since it's subscription based, to see if there was an actual quote from Archie or not. I'm not even sure Archie is allowed to specifically comment on a recruit that is under another LOI.

Either way, it's nice to hear, and can put to rest those who were ready to jump on Archie for "poaching".

Let the dust settle and the facts/details come out before rendering any kind of verdict on Archie, MW, etc.

SLUFLYER 03-28-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 500230)
Well, yes. But so does Ray Parker...

Correct, but I was only taking the Kuwik thread seriously. Pretty sure that Ray Parker thread hasn't had much activity since it opened.

Sitdowndigger 03-28-2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER (Post 500238)
Saw that too. Couldn't read the thread/link, since it's subscription based, to see if there was an actual quote from Archie or not. I'm not even sure Archie is allowed to specifically comment on a recruit that is under another LOI.

Either way, it's nice to hear, and can put to rest those who were ready to jump on Archie for "poaching".

Let the dust settle and the facts/details come out before rendering any kind of verdict on Archie, MW, etc.

Did he have no choice but to say this because an IU affiliate already reached out to McKinley informing him he's in if he wants it?.....hmmmmm.