UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   McKinley Wright (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30774)

DallasFlyer 03-28-2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBo (Post 500236)
Does anyone really believe this? Chances are much better of him landing at Indiana than it is at UD. More coach speak.

Archie: Hey McKinley! It's me Archie.

McKinley: What's up coach?

Archie: Shhhh, we're not supposed to be talking, REMEMBER!

McKinley: Oh yeah, my bad. Sorry about what I said to that reporter guy.

Archie: Yeah, I know. But don't worry about it. I got a plan. I'm gonna do this interview and say that I want you to honor your commitment to Dayton.

McKinley: Wait, you want me to do what?

Archie: No, of course I want you to come to Indiana, but that's our little secret dude. I've got to throw everybody off first so that those morons at Dayton will give you a release and not block you going to Indiana.

McKinley: But I'm going to Indiana with you, right?

Archie: Shh, shh, not so loud man. SECRET, remember!

McKinley: Got it.

Archie: Just stop talking to that Wolfson clown, okay. Do not answer any questions from Wolfson. Unless it's Tracy Wolfson. If it's Tracy Wolfson, you can give her my number. But don't tell Morgan.

Archie: Good. Gotta go. Talk later.

McKinley: Thanks Coach.

SLUFLYER 03-28-2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 500246)
Archie: Hey McKinley! It's me Archie.

McKinley: What's up coach?

Archie: Shhhh, we're not supposed to be talking, REMEMBER!

McKinley: Oh yeah, my bad. Sorry about what I said to that reporter guy.

Archie: Yeah, I know. But don't worry about it. I got a plan. I'm gonna do this interview and say that I want you to honor your commitment to Dayton.

McKinley: Wait, you want me to do what?

Archie: No, of course I want you to come to Indiana, but that's our little secret dude. I've got to throw everybody off first so that those morons at Dayton will give you a release and not block you going to Indiana.

McKinley: But I'm going to Indiana with you, right?

Archie: Shh, shh, not so loud man. SECRET, remember!

Archie: Just stop talking to that Wolfson clown, okay. Do not answer any questions from Wolfson. Unless it's Tracy Wolfson. If it's Tracy Wolfson, you can give her my number. But don't tell Morgan.

Archie: Good. Gotta go. Talk later.

McKinley: Thanks Coach.

Have to admit it was kind of boring and mundane until I got to the line about Tracy Wolfson and it made it all worth it.

Smitty10 03-28-2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER (Post 500225)
There's a bunch of references to this above that you must have missed, but it doesn't appear that MW is any way dictating, requesting or threatening anything based on his commitment and the potential head coach.

To suggest he's the kind of player who will start demanding certain minutes or starting is really jumping to some conclusions based on a tweet from a guy who appears to have had some kind of dialogue with the recruit.

Bowing to MW's preferences? That's not what's going on. Sorry, but posts like this are uniformed and making it worse.

I'm talking about how it can be perceived or other small factors. What if Ostrom never was JC's guy? What if JC gets displaced as a starter based on merit but he sees it as favoritism. If MW likes Ostrom but finds himself not getting the minutes he thought he would've? After one season(knowing that JC comes back for a senior season), he just walks after this season not before.

I'm not saying that all those things are going to happen but by MW opening up about who he prefers as coach was not constructive in any way and could only cause harm. There is only two reasons that he tweeted those things. One is he's just being honest and doesn't know when saying nothing is better than speaking the truth and the other is he wants to plug for his guy.

C-time 03-28-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER (Post 500250)
Have to admit it was kind of boring and mundane until I got to the line about Tracy Wolfson and it made it all worth it.

Archie is only interested in Alli Laforce. I'm pretty sure I saw Morgan give her a death stare every time she interviewed Archie.

TA111 03-28-2017 04:33 PM

MW didn't tweet those things. It was an interview with a MN reporter. The reporter then tweeted. You can view the interview as I posted the link above.

DallasFlyer 03-28-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 500256)
Archie is only interested in Alli Laforce. I'm pretty sure I saw Morgan give her a death stare every time she interviewed Archie.

That's why Morgan can't know about Tracy. She's still mad about Allie.

MikeF 03-28-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 500230)
Well, yes. But so does Ray Parker...

Yeah, but that's Ray Parker. I'm surprised he doesn't have his own forum!

SLUFLYER 03-28-2017 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 500252)
I'm talking about how it can be perceived or other small factors. What if Ostrom never was JC's guy? What if JC gets displaced as a starter based on merit but he sees it as favoritism. If MW likes Ostrom but finds himself not getting the minutes he thought he would've? After one season(knowing that JC comes back for a senior season), he just walks after this season not before.

I'm not saying that all those things are going to happen but by MW opening up about who he prefers as coach was not constructive in any way and could only cause harm. There is only two reasons that he tweeted those things. One is he's just being honest and doesn't know when saying nothing is better than speaking the truth and the other is he wants to plug for his guy.

You're still missing the point, not reading the post(s) in its entirety or just misunderstood. MW didn't tweet those things. TA111 mentions it above too and it's been posted about 5 other times in this thread. You're painting a picture of both the situation and MW that really doesn't exist and is kind of unfair.

momszer 03-28-2017 06:01 PM

Did you watch the interview? He definitely said live on tv he hopes Ostrom gets the job and he's not sure if he will reopen his recruitment or not. He also said that he was told that he has a spot with Indiana if he wants it. Straight from the horse's mouth. So who cares who tweeted it, MW said it.

TA111 03-28-2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momszer (Post 500285)
Did you watch the interview? He definitely said live on tv he hopes Ostrom gets the job and he's not sure if he will reopen his recruitment or not. He also said that he was told that he has a spot with Indiana if he wants it. Straight from the horse's mouth. So who cares who tweeted it, MW said it.

Sure he did, after the reporter asked him about the relationship. What the heck do you expect him to say? The young man was asked a question and answered it. So what? Some here are making this something it's not.

SLUFLYER 03-28-2017 06:36 PM

Seems somewhat relevant, as Minnesota (G) Ahmad Gilbert is transferring. Not sure what their ship situation was before, but it appears one is now open.

The Fly 03-28-2017 07:04 PM

Gilbert is a 6-6 small forward, maybe capable of playing the 2. Gophers signed top 100 (No. 64) Isaiah Washington (Mr. Basketball in New York) who is a pure point guard. Not sure McKinley would want to play behind him.

Chris R 03-28-2017 07:30 PM

Neil and Spina's job is to hire the most qualified person for the job, not appease a recruit or two on Twitter. That's blackmail. They wont give that stuff one fleeting second of their concern. If the job ends up going to an assistant, I would not read into it any further than that -- they were the best person for the job.

This is a potential 10-15yr decision. Now is not the time to be myopic about it and focus only on the curve down the road you can see. Many miles of asphalt beyond that first curve. Cant win the race in turn 1.

I trust we will get a good coach. Its probably the most high profile job opening right now outside of Georgetown. Will the hire make everyone happy? Not hardly. There were dissenters when Archie was hired. In fact, for the first two seasons there were numerous, vocal ones.

C-time 03-28-2017 07:47 PM

Back to MW. Archie was on the Dan Dakich radio show today and said about Mckinley "I hope he goes to Dayton". Now does he mean it? Who knows, but he did say it. I expect 10 immediate responses that Archie is liar. Don't blame me I just figured people would want to hear it. Listen to the link below. I didn't want to transcribe the whole 30 second clip.

Shoutout to the kids(probably Matt Allaire aka the GIF king) for putting this up.

https://twitter.com/Flyer_Faithful/s...58714334330880

hawkoooo 03-28-2017 09:29 PM

Based on that interview it seems to me like the "he has a spot at IU" garbage was just that, garbage.

T-Bone 84 03-28-2017 09:39 PM

I think Archie has been as honest and forthright as he can be in this whole process (realizing that some degree of 'covertness' is necessary in his situation). That said, I believe he honestly hopes that McKinley winds-up at UD. And, frankly, I hope he does, too. But whatever his decision, I wish nothing but the best for the young man. God bless you, young man.
Posted via Mobile Device

CE80 03-28-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris R (Post 500307)

This is a potential 10-15yr decision.

Or maybe just a 6 year one.

C-time 03-28-2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 500329)
Or maybe just a 6 year one.

I'll have my pitchfork out and ready to go by year 3. :angryfire:

momszer 03-28-2017 10:05 PM

McKinley's Interview Hear His Own Words Regarding Ostrom and Indiana

CvilleFlyer 03-28-2017 11:16 PM

At the end of the day I think we all want the best person qualified for the job! If there is one thing I have learned and that I am still learning is not to judge others. The reason being is that we usually don't know all the facts!

I have been a fan of McKinley Wright ever since he and Theo John had their news conference in the Champlin Park gym and he made his intentions known to get an education and to take his basketball skills to the University of Dayton. I immediately went to You Tube and watched every video that was out there so I could see first hand his considerable talents. At the end of his junior season Champlin Park was defeated in the final game by Apple Valley and, in an interview he stated that he wanted to reverse that outcome in this his senior year.

Last Saturday, just before his pregame meal, he was told by an assistant coach that Archie Miller had accepted the Indiana University job! He said he couldn't eat! To make matters worse the Champlin Park team, after 30+ wins in a row lost again to Apple Valley 60-54 in the State Championship game! Talk about a domino effect!!!!

Today, Archie was on the Dan Dakich radio show and said about McKinley Wright, "I hope he goes to Dayton". I hope he does too as I know we all do! Most importantly I hope we get a new coach, whether it be a current assistant or not, who can continue to make UD basketball a household name and continue to make us proud to be fans!

TXFlyerFan 03-29-2017 12:00 AM

One of the things that struck me about all of our recruits, at least that I could tell, is that they all seem to be high character as well as great basketball players. I hope they still come to UD, but wish them well wherever they may end up.

ud2 03-29-2017 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 224 (Post 500106)
That's why you didn't hear anything about Brad Brownell taking kids from WSU to Clemson or Kevin Keatts taking kids from UNC Wilmington to NC St.

Brownell took 1 incoming WSU recruit with him to Clemson.

DallasFlyer 03-29-2017 01:17 AM

Brian Gregory stole no one because he is a better man than basketball coach. Unfortunately for him, integrity doesn't show up in the stat sheet.

ud2 03-29-2017 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 500370)
Brownell took 1 incoming WSU recruit with him to Clemson.

I wanted to look this up to be sure.

Cory Stanton...Brownell's first signee at Clemson...signed with WSU originally...got his release from WSU and went to Clemson.

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArt...CLID=205527827

"Cory is a kid I've known for a long time," Brownell said. "He's a very talented guard. He's got good quickness and athleticism. He's a pretty good outside shooter. He's a scoring point guard that has an infectious personality. He's a hard worker. In my opinion, he will be a leader of this program in the future because of his personality and his drive to be successful. We're lucky to have him."

Stanton, a 5-foot-11 guard who originally signed with Wright State...

Atlantic 10 03-29-2017 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer (Post 500358)
At the end of the day I think we all want the best person qualified for the job! If there is one thing I have learned and that I am still learning is not to judge others. The reason being is that we usually don't know all the facts!

I have been a fan of McKinley Wright ever since he and Theo John had their news conference in the Champlin Park gym and he made his intentions known to get an education and to take his basketball skills to the University of Dayton. I immediately went to You Tube and watched every video that was out there so I could see first hand his considerable talents. At the end of his junior season Champlin Park was defeated in the final game by Apple Valley and, in an interview he stated that he wanted to reverse that outcome in this his senior year.

Last Saturday, just before his pregame meal, he was told by an assistant coach that Archie Miller had accepted the Indiana University job! He said he couldn't eat! To make matters worse the Champlin Park team, after 30+ wins in a row lost again to Apple Valley 60-54 in the State Championship game! Talk about a domino effect!!!!

Today, Archie was on the Dan Dakich radio show and said about McKinley Wright, "I hope he goes to Dayton". I hope he does too as I know we all do! Most importantly I hope we get a new coach, whether it be a current assistant or not, who can continue to make UD basketball a household name and continue to make us proud to be fans!

My question is why would a asst coach tell a player before a big game about Archie going to Indiana, at pregame meal

Browns 03-29-2017 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 (Post 500396)
My question is why would a asst coach tell a player before a big game about Archie going to Indiana, at pregame meal

The opposing team was chanting "Indiana" during the game. Would that have been a better way to find out?

Iguomaniac 03-29-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 500376)
Brian Gregory stole no one because he is a better man than basketball coach. Unfortunately for him, integrity doesn't show up in the stat sheet.

BG offered Percy Gibson after a scholarship at GA Tech. Gibson ended up following assistant coach Cornell Mann to Iowa State (and later to Oakland).

steve 03-29-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iguomaniac (Post 500409)
BG offered Percy Gibson after a scholarship at GA Tech. Gibson ended up following assistant coach Cornell Mann to Iowa State (and later to Oakland).

Still a waaaay better man than a BB coach.....lol

CT Flyer 03-29-2017 10:14 AM

I'm guessing the IU has a spot if I want it statement in which he said someone from IU talked to one of his AAU coaches must be true because these AAU guys are all so upstanding and honest and are only out for the kids best interest and are not self serving individuals at all. ;-)

C-time 03-29-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT Flyer (Post 500426)
I'm guessing the IU has a spot if I want it statement in which he said someone from IU talked to one of his AAU coaches must be true because these AAU guys are all so upstanding and honest and are only out for the kids best interest and are not self serving individuals at all. ;-)

You mean all those AAU coaches don't just love basketball and enjoy "coaching" basketball for free? ;)

Title_BU 03-29-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swish61 (Post 500192)
It doesn't sound to me like he is even saying Ostrom has to be HEAD Coach. Just HIS coach. As in as long as Ostrom stays, even as just an assistant, he was good with that.

I am a member of a couple of the Indiana premium sites. Its pretty well accepted that Archie will hire him if he doesn't become Dayton's head coach.

Given this, I can't see any path of keeping Wright without Ostrom becoming head coach, regardless of whether than was an ultimatum (I don't think it was) or not.

About the only thing UD could do is not release him to Indiana, but given the spring period makes average guys into Michael Jordan due to the lack of supply, I'd imagine the UK's of the world would become involved (even if they figured he'd end up transferring)

BeckysTXA 03-29-2017 10:28 AM

Glad to see DDN changed its " Wright might follow Miller to Indiana" headline to "Archie Miller hopes MW sticks with Dayton" headline and edited their story to now include a long quote from Miller saying just that backed up with MW is a signed Dayton recruit and it's not AMs job to recruit him to Indiana.

longtimefan67 03-29-2017 10:59 AM

BTW- I'm ok with MW it he backs out of his UD LOI. I don't like it but if he was here only for "a" coach, he's not really here for the right reasons. I think the UD experience would be all that other former players said it would be. I think he'd really enjoy the fan/UD arena experience. But life will go on without him, see Staten and Meachum...
Posted via Mobile Device

Smitty10 03-29-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 500442)
BTW- I'm ok with MW it he backs out of his UD LOI. I don't like it but if he was here only for "a" coach, he's not really here for the right reasons. I think the UD experience would be all that other former players said it would be. I think he'd really enjoy the fan/UD arena experience. But life will go on without him, see Staten and Meachum...
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, all that sounds good, but got news for you, if the coach didn't play a big part in his choosing UD, he's in a very tiny minority. If players' main concern was the college experience rather than the basketball program, colleges would only have to count on their marketing department to sell recruits.

As for other former players saying the UD experience is all that, how many of them have any other college experiences to compare it to? Most students who spend 4 year at the same college would tell you that they wouldn't trade the experience for anything. That's not unique to UD.

The best players want the most compatible coaches. Nothing wrong with that because I'm not satisfied with a program full of happy campers that don't win.

steve 03-29-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 500447)
Yeah, all that sounds good, but got news for you, if the coach didn't play a big part in his choosing UD, he's in a very tiny minority. If players' main concern was the college experience rather than the basketball program, colleges would only have to count on their marketing department to sell recruits.

As for other former players saying the UD experience is all that, how many of them have any other college experiences to compare it to? Most students who spend 4 year at the same college would tell you that they wouldn't trade the experience for anything. That's not unique to UD.

The best players want the most compatible coaches. Nothing wrong with that because I'm not satisfied with a program full of happy campers that don't win.

Yep. People who say "we really don't want him if he's here just for the coach" are just ****ed off. Got news for you(not really you) but right or wrong when a coach recruits a kid he can sell him all day on the school, the pretty girls, the great educational programs, tremendous happy hours, great pizza parlors,etc. but it's THAT coach that tells him how great he's going to make that player, how many NCAA appearances that kid can lead the team to, and how "said" coach can get that player to the next level..

It's pretty impressionable to have a coach you see on TV all the time, making 3 mm a year, wearing $2500.00 suits, sitting on your favorite recliner and THAT coach telling you how great you are and you're the missing piece.

SLUFLYER 03-29-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fly (Post 500303)
Gilbert is a 6-6 small forward, maybe capable of playing the 2. Gophers signed top 100 (No. 64) Isaiah Washington (Mr. Basketball in New York) who is a pure point guard. Not sure McKinley would want to play behind him.

Had nothing to do with position. Just pointing out that a scholarship was now open an Minnesota. Thought I made that pretty clear in the initial post.

DallasFlyer 03-29-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Title_BU (Post 500431)
I am a member of a couple of the Indiana premium sites. Its pretty well accepted that Archie will hire him if he doesn't become Dayton's head coach.

Given this, I can't see any path of keeping Wright without Ostrom becoming head coach, regardless of whether than was an ultimatum (I don't think it was) or not.

I got it all worked out in the Who's Up Next thread! The Billy Donovan Circle of Influence theory! Donovan's been a mentor to both Anthony Grant and Tom Ostrom. Reasonable to think Ostrom's loyalty will be to Archie, but a little nudge from Billy D telling Tom he should stay on staff at UD under Grant for a year or two to keep the momentum (and recruiting class) might do the trick. Just depends whether Tom Ostrom fancies an NBA gig. Donovan can find him one here in a year or two if he's willing to go with Grant.

It's a winding, circuitous route with leaps of reasoning and plenty of obstacles but if you're willing to subscribe to the theory, there's totally a path to hiring Grant AND keeping Ostrom/Wright! :)

LI Flyer 03-29-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 500456)
I got it all worked out in the Who's Up Next thread! The Billy Donovan Circle of Influence theory! Donovan's been a mentor to both Anthony Grant and Tom Ostrom. Reasonable to think Ostrom's loyalty will be to Archie, but a little nudge from Billy D telling Tom he should stay on staff at UD under Grant for a year or two to keep the momentum (and recruiting class) might do the trick. Just depends whether Tom Ostrom fancies an NBA gig. Donovan can find him one here in a year or two if he's willing to go with Grant.

It's a winding, circuitous route with leaps of reasoning and plenty of obstacles but if you're willing to subscribe to the theory, there's totally a path to hiring Grant AND keeping Ostrom/Wright! :)

This sounds like a WIN:WIN:WIN situation. Love the idea even if it is only fantasy.

DallasFlyer 03-29-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LI Flyer (Post 500457)
This sounds like a WIN:WIN:WIN situation. Love the idea even if it is only fantasy.

Probably should have worked Tracy Wolfson or Alli LaForce in there somewhere.

longtimefan67 03-29-2017 11:57 AM

First of all- he hasn't made his decision. Secondly, again, see Staten and Meachum (one persons loss is anothers gain)- life goes on... Thirdly, we have several other incoming players.

I may be ****ed as I was with Staten and Meachum, however-our record still ended up good without them...so we'll survive. Real disappointment belongs to AM and the belief that he was here to create a dynasty. I guess I should have known better but he kept saying all the right things. So again, how do we know what the next coach will do? I doubt its a JOB experience agan. But if it is, at least I'll know how to process it.
Posted via Mobile Device

DallasFlyer 03-29-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 500460)
First of all- he hasn't made his decision. Secondly, again, see Staten and Meachum (one persons loss is anothers gain)- life goes on... Thirdly, we have several other incoming players.

I may be ****ed as I was with Staten and Meachum, however-our record still ended up good without them...so we'll survive. Real disappointment belongs to AM and the belief that he was here to create a dynasty. I guess I should have known better but he kept saying all the right things. So again, how do we know what the next coach will do? I doubt its a JOB experience agan. But if it is, at least I'll know how to process it.
Posted via Mobile Device

No matter what happens or how far UD falls, Archie was 100% worth it. We thought those kind of results were possible. Now, at the very least, we KNOW they are possible. Players and coaches will come and go. Perspective. It's all good.

CE80 03-29-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 500459)
Probably should have worked Tracy Wolfson or Alli LaForce in there somewhere.

Mufasa and Scar too.

longtimefan67 03-29-2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 500464)
No matter what happens or how far UD falls, Archie was 100% worth it. We thought those kind of results were possible. Now, at the very least, we KNOW they are possible. Players and coaches will come and go. Perspective. It's all good.

Agree- i think we've always known it was possible; so AM proved it. I really like AG but have to admit, if we want to at least emulate a successful formula- then we go the route of promoting an assistant coach in the vein of X and Butler and Gonzaga. Not sure I'd want to be the one making this call...we will find out soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sitdowndigger 03-29-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 499980)
So I guess you'd lose respect for Crean if he poached all these studs from IU and brought them to UD?

I wouldn't! :D

http://www.insidethehall.com/2017-in...ruiting-board/

All is Royally fair in politics, war, love and recruiting.

Especially if we get Renko
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/711/855/2855711.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

longtimefan 03-29-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA (Post 500432)
Glad to see DDN changed its " Wright might follow Miller to Indiana" headline to "Archie Miller hopes MW sticks with Dayton" headline and edited their story to now include a long quote from Miller saying just that backed up with MW is a signed Dayton recruit and it's not AMs job to recruit him to Indiana.

But is Archie as sincere in that statement as he was in his many statements about how great UD was, he had everything he needed here, etc, etc. That sounds like more coach-speak. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wright end up at Indiana.

Flyer14 03-29-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 500555)
But is Archie as sincere in that statement as he was in his many statements about how great UD was, he had everything he needed here, etc, etc. That sounds like more coach-speak. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wright end up at Indiana.

I believe he was being sincere. UD is a fantastic school to coach at, and very few programs in the nation can provide a better mix of strong athletics, great facilities, a rabid fanbase, and the salary needed to hold an elite coach. However, Indiana is just one of those few programs. He can realistically recruit 4 and 5* players year in and year out, will never be shafted with a 7 seed playing a Wichita State due to a mid major bias, and can compete for national championships. UD has grown enormously on the national stage, but we simply aren't at that level yet. If we can get into a power 5+1 or coalesce the remaining high mid majors into a formidable conference, these disparities can be lessened. Until then, it's not unreasonable of a coach like Archie to want to move onto a program that can provide what he needs to realistically compete for the national title

TommyGola 03-29-2017 07:22 PM

His sincerity vanished very quickly, didn't it? That was less than a month ago that he made that statement. This is very simple: His stock was high and he sold out. I accept that, but poaching recruits is still unethical. I wouldn't want the IU recruits and I don't want Archie poaching UD's recruits. After all, those are not "Archie's recruits." Those are UD's recruits.

Smitty10 03-29-2017 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyGola (Post 500621)
His sincerity vanished very quickly, didn't it? That was less than a month ago that he made that statement. This is very simple: His stock was high and he sold out. I accept that, but poaching recruits is still unethical. I wouldn't want the IU recruits and I don't want Archie poaching UD's recruits. After all, those are not "Archie's recruits." Those are UD's recruits.

They are UD's recruits for now. There's a good chance they get poached by someone other than Archie, is that going to make you say "those are not Georgetown's recruits, those are UD's recruits.".

What's being forgotten here is if they don't wind up with Archie, it doesn't mean they'll wind up at UD. Are we any better depending on who we lose them to?

OSU Flyer 03-29-2017 07:43 PM

recruits make their own decisions

Flyer69ers 03-29-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 500628)
recruits make their own decisions

I think they are too young to agree with that entirely.

Too many outside forces try to influence them.

longtimefan67 03-29-2017 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 500623)
They are UD's recruits for now. There's a good chance they get poached by someone other than Archie, is that going to make you say "those are not Georgetown's recruits, those are UD's recruits.".

What's being forgotten here is if they don't wind up with Archie, it doesn't mean they'll wind up at UD. Are we any better depending on who we lose them to?

Oddly, I'm OK with any of our recruits ending up somewhere else; I'm sure all of them had a second choice. I wouldn't be OK with any of them going to IU even though I'm aware its perfectly legal. Legal, but unethical. If it happens, I am definitely going to feel like UD has been used and badly used. Just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sea Bass 03-29-2017 09:13 PM

UD can restrict where a player signs when they give the release

C-time 03-29-2017 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Bass (Post 500653)
UD can restrict where a player signs when they give the release

They can but no respectable university or program does that. Opposing coaches will use it against a coach during recruiting.

FlyerGuyer 03-29-2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer14 (Post 500567)
Until then, it's not unreasonable of a coach like Archie to want to move onto a program that can provide what he needs to realistically compete for the national title.

It's not unreasonable at all, but it is totally contrary to everything he said over the past 6 years.

Hence, coach-speak. The Millers are experts at it.

DallasFlyer 03-29-2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 500655)
They can but no respectable university or program does that. Opposing coaches will use it against a coach during recruiting.

I think where it is a PR hit is where a school releases a player with a long list of restrictions. We could in theory figure that McKinley would likely end up in the Big Ten if not at Dayton so therefore we just be totally spineless and restrict ALL the Big Ten schools. That would look TERRIBLE and UD would never do that of course. But believe it or not schools have pulled that stuff before. If you restrict one school and one school only for a specific reason, it's not a big deal, unless of course the player makes it one. But I think in theory, Dayton could restrict IU if they really wanted to.

San Diego Flyer 03-29-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 500642)
Oddly, I'm OK with any of our recruits ending up somewhere else; I'm sure all of them had a second choice. I wouldn't be OK with any of them going to IU even though I'm aware its perfectly legal. Legal, but unethical. If it happens, I am definitely going to feel like UD has been used and badly used. Just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Archie has just stated to ESPN that he will recruit from the "inside out". Meaning the immediate focus will be State of Indiana talent.

He also said this Indiana call was the first time that he gave any call a second thought while he was at UD.

Smitty10 03-29-2017 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer (Post 500659)
It's not unreasonable at all, but it is totally contrary to everything he said over the past 6 years.

Give me a way he could publicly say that he's open to other offers that would make the UD administration happy? The admin knows the game of musical chairs that takes place with successful coaches. They're not as butt-hurt as the fans over this I guarantee it. So If AM went to any UD athletic director and told them "to be honest, I'm open to accepting a job that would knock my socks off." I'm sure the AD would say "Yes, that's natural, but when asked by the press, just tell them that you're very happy at UD and that you're looking forward to advancing the program."

So if you're still butt hurt over this tomorrow, or the next day or week or whatever, blame UD admin because I guarantee they had a say in how open AM was with the press. Heck, I knew he'd leave someday soon when the right offer came around, they sure as heck knew it too. Naive fans are the only one's caught off guard by this, learn your lesson but love the man for giving our program a chance to take off.

The guy is still in his 30s for crying out loud, think about it, who if is top 2 coaching talent in the country is going to make Dayton their home forever when their career has just taken off. I wouldn't. I wouldn't being raised in Dayton and being a Dayton Flyers fan more than any other sports team anywhere. I'd have jumped at the chance to coach IU in my late 30s and so would anybody who's not nuts.

FlyerGuyer 03-29-2017 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 500692)
So if you're still butt hurt over this tomorrow, or the next day or week or whatever, blame UD admin because I guarantee they had a say in how open AM was with the press. Heck, I knew he'd leave someday soon when the right offer came around, they sure as heck knew it too. Naive fans are the only one's caught off guard by this, learn your lesson but love the man for giving our program a chance to take off.

The guy is still in his 30s for crying out loud, think about it, who if is top 2 coaching talent in the country is going to make Dayton their home forever when their career has just taken off. I wouldn't. I wouldn't being raised in Dayton and being a Dayton Flyers fan more than any other sports team anywhere. I'd have jumped at the chance to coach IU in my late 30s and so would anybody who's not nuts.

LOL. Take a deep breath and take your meds, captain. I know you said you met Archie in Hawaii and became totally starstruck, but that doesn't mean the Millers have not mastered coach-speak. They have, anyway you want to spin it. You're not revealing anything that everybody does not already know.

Smitty10 03-29-2017 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer (Post 500703)
LOL. Take a deep breath and take your meds, captain. I know you said you met Archie in Hawaii and became totally starstruck, but that doesn't mean the Millers have not mastered coach-speak. They have, anyway you want to spin it. You're not revealing anything that everybody does not already know.

I guess since he's a coach, that's better than being bad at it :rolleyes:

I appreciate AM for what he's done for the program which if you haven't noticed, is better than anyone else in 50 years. I just thought in Hawaii he was very gracious. Two of us were standing outside and I was smoking a cigarette and it was dark right after the Cal game and everyone was filing off of bus heading for hotel and he stopped to say thanks. Not starstruck, just appreciative.

steve 03-30-2017 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer (Post 500659)

You know you're exactly right. I think every interview he gave should have been prefaced with "Dayton is a great place...for NOW but I'm not going to stay here forever and as soon as that big P5 job comes I'm "probably" out of here..While I like our recruits and they're "nice" players I'd really like to NOT finish 2nd to Izzo for a few kids...Our conference is just okay and going to Olean is a f____en joke and going to that lousy LaSalle gym is ,well, not even HS worthy..

WTF do you want Miller to say for crying out loud? This ain't a marriage or your first born where you're looking forever at least at that moment. It's a freakin' job and Miller did not define the boundaries and it's no different other than a few zeroes than you not looking around whatever industry you're in and for better opportunities if people came busting your door down wanting you to come work for them. Looking for a place that you can better utilize your skills. Can you, your wife, your family, or your friends emphatically tell their boss right now that they will never leave, never look for better opportunities , that $$$ don't mean squat, etc?

Archie doesn't owe UD S___T anymore other than a sincere thank you and heartfelt expression which he gave...

OSU Flyer 04-04-2017 12:10 AM

Q&A: McKinley Wright Talks About His College Future After Archie Miller Left Dayton for Indiana

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_artic...rrer_id=331171

Radar 04-04-2017 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 502156)
Q&A: McKinley Wright Talks About His College Future After Archie Miller Left Dayton for Indiana

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_artic...rrer_id=331171

If nothing else the reporter (Chris Monter) is persistent. I wish he would've named names when asking this question however:

"Have you talked to any of the other Dayton signees. I think that I saw that one is going to go to Indiana?"

CT Flyer 04-04-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar (Post 502180)
If nothing else the reporter (Chris Monter) is persistent. I wish he would've named names when asking this question however:

"Have you talked to any of the other Dayton signees. I think that I saw that one is going to go to Indiana?"

He wouldn't be able to do that because there is no truth to it. He is obviously a trolling, jock-sniffing, douche bag of a reporter.

TA111 04-04-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar (Post 502180)

This has been discussed in the recruits thread. The reporter made it up. A complete falsehood.

BRob2Perryman3 04-04-2017 12:18 PM

So is that fake news or alternative facts?

1903 Flyer 04-07-2017 07:56 AM

2017 shooting guard Al Durham recommits to Indiana, leaving Archie with one less 'ship to steal a UD recruit.

m21eagle45 04-07-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1903 Flyer (Post 502728)
2017 shooting guard Al Durham recommits to Indiana, leaving Archie with one less 'ship to steal a UD recruit.

At this point, I believe that IU is still technically over the scholarship limit.

Medford 04-07-2017 08:58 AM

honorable mention all american...

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/90GdoEN...rican-team.htm

Congrats young man.

jack72 04-07-2017 09:28 AM

How did our guy, get POY in SC over this kid? AG needs to stop at his house today while in SC.

Zion Williamson, Spartanburg, SC
6-7 | 230 | Junior | Forward | Uncommitted
Became a national sensation with highlight dunks, putting up 36.8 points, 13.0 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game en route to state title.

priceg75 04-07-2017 10:05 AM

Zion Williamson plays for Spartanburg Day School which is a Class AA school... in S. Carolina, HS athletics go from AAAAA down to single A. So AA is like Div. 4 or 5 in Ohio. To make matters worse, SDS is a private Christian school. S. Carolina doesn't have a large network of powerful private schools like we do. Their private schools are mostly religious, but do not typically have strong athletic programs. He is playing some terrible competition... yes dominating it, but terrible. He will end up at N. Carolina, most likely... and will have some learning to do, because all he does now is dunk over frightened 6' tall stringbeans.

Our man Davis performs at AAAAA, like Ohio's Div. 1. Best competition. They got to the State Sweet 16 and lost.

CORRECTION: Zion Williamson actually plays at the mid-level of the SCISA... "S. Carolina Independent School Assoc."... at AA level, which is the middle of 3 levels. In my opinion, probably worse competition than the other S. Carolina High School leagues. There are 25 total high schools at that level. They won regularly by 50+ points. They won one game 89-15.

tlangs98 04-07-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 502742)
How did our guy, get POY in SC over this kid? AG needs to stop at his house today while in SC.

Zion Williamson, Spartanburg, SC
6-7 | 230 | Junior | Forward | Uncommitted
Became a national sensation with highlight dunks, putting up 36.8 points, 13.0 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game en route to state title.

Zion is also the #1 overall prospect for 2018. Not sure if you were being sarcastic but I don't think UD is on his list. Duke/UK/NC are his top 3

SC_Flyer 04-07-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlangs98 (Post 502790)
Zion is also the #1 overall prospect for 2018. Not sure if you were being sarcastic but I don't think UD is on his list. Duke/UK/NC are his top 3

Yeah, and everyone down here is hoping that the South Carolina Final Four run may help persuade him to become a Gamecock. Pretty sure Frank Martin would literally box out AG if he tried to stop by for a visit.

FrankStreetFlyer 04-07-2017 02:36 PM

Jeff Borzello @jeffborzello

2017 point guard McKinley Wright has requested his release from Dayton, per his coach. Minnesota native. @adidasD1MN

FlyerinChicago 04-07-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankStreetFlyer (Post 502814)
Jeff Borzello @jeffborzello

2017 point guard McKinley Wright has requested his release from Dayton, per his coach. Minnesota native. @adidasD1MN

His loss. This school and program is so much more than Archie and Ostrom. He's missing out on the greatest four years he would have ever had, at a University he won't match..move on.

lhsgolf19 04-07-2017 02:43 PM

FrankStreetFlyer 04-07-2017 02:44 PM

Here is his announcement. UD is still being strongly considered.

https://twitter.com/Ballislife_025/s...313792/photo/1

Kevinob15 04-07-2017 02:45 PM

I'm gonna give this kid the benefit of the doubt for now but "Dayton University" sure isn't making it easy
Posted via Mobile Device

NJFlyr71 04-07-2017 02:48 PM

Good grief!

DAYTON UNIVERSITY? :wtfsign:

REALLY???????

Maybe he is getting feelers from the UNIVERSITY of DUKE :eek:

FrankStreetFlyer 04-07-2017 02:48 PM

This also allows Coach Grant to scour the grad transfers for a replacement. We will be fine.

m21eagle45 04-07-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankStreetFlyer (Post 502823)
This also allows Coach Grant to scour the grad transfers for a replacement. We will be fine.

This. Not to mention, a grad transfer would help balance out the classes. Not that class balance is too important, but it definitely wouldn't hurt during a transition to a new coaching staff.