UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   McKinley Wright (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30774)

bcross 04-08-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitdowndigger (Post 503024)
Not reading into to DU statement made. Dyshawn Pierre said the same thing when he commited. Albeit he's Canadian...
Posted via Mobile Device

MW was committed for over 7 months and signed a LOI to the University of Dayton. It's a little different than when a recruit first commits getting it wrong.

Sitdowndigger 04-08-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcross (Post 503030)
MW was committed for over 7 months and signed a LOI to the University of Dayton. It's a little different than when a recruit first commits getting it wrong.

No not really. Both equally pathetic. Who cares....one did and the other will work out for somebody, hopefully us but doubtful.
Posted via Mobile Device

UDGutter2 04-08-2017 01:11 PM

If he requested his release from Dayton University, does it mean he is still committed to the University of Dayton? LOL

DallasFlyer 04-08-2017 01:38 PM

Anyone remember the last high school PG to change his mind on a commitment to Dayton? His name was Jevon Thomas. He had a lot of hype. But he stunk. If memory serves, his decommit opened the door for a kid named Scoochie. So you never really know how these things are going to turn out... Most think McKinley is going to be great. But most also thought Jevon Thomas was going to be great.

Avid Flyer 04-08-2017 02:32 PM

Someone brought up a good point. Archie will not sign him since he made the statements he did last week giving a slight perception that there was talk between he and AM or staff etc. Archie don't want to start off with an NCAA investigation, MW isn't that good to test it.

In the end MW talking out of place may have screwed himself.

ruechalgrin 04-08-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucketnight (Post 503015)
Not that i am optimistic but do we know when AG was to meet with MW in person?

AG has met in person with all recruits the past week except for the Czech recruit. MW asked for his release after the live meeting.

AG has other strong point guard options and already is recruiting graduate transfers, transfers, and high schoolers. AG is a better recruiter than AM and puts the time in, but hard to have 2-3 hours with a recruit and hope to keep them whereas they have years relationships with other coaches. Therefore, transfer recruits much more of an even playing field. Most coaches have not had long relationships with them.

Impressed AG kept Jordan Davis.
Posted via Mobile Device

Viperstick 04-08-2017 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 503038)
Anyone remember the last high school PG to change his mind on a commitment to Dayton? His name was Jevon Thomas. He had a lot of hype. But he stunk. If memory serves, his decommit opened the door for a kid named Scoochie. So you never really know how these things are going to turn out... Most think McKinley is going to be great. But most also thought Jevon Thomas was going to be great.

Dallas, you beat me to the punch.

http://www.nj.com/setonhall/index.ss...s_with_de.html

Go out & find the next Scooch, Coach Grant

bcross 04-08-2017 03:39 PM

For accuracy, the Thomas decommitment opened the door for Price.

frisco flyer 04-08-2017 04:13 PM

One thing that has not been discussed very much is that players that will thrive in AGs system may not be the same kind of players that Archie recruited. As much as I would love to keep all the recruits, I am actually thinking that loosing one or two could be a blessing in disguise. This may allow AG to recruit his own players with attributes that puts them in a better stead to perform well in his system. An added bonus if we sign a transfer or tow, or even keep a ship open, is that it will help balance the classes a little better than they are now after loosing 4 seniors in one fell swoop.

TXFlyerFan 04-08-2017 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frisco flyer (Post 503055)
One thing that has not been discussed very much is that players that will thrive in AGs system may not be the same kind of players that Archie recruited. As much as I would love to keep all the recruits, I am actually thinking that loosing one or two could be a blessing in disguise. This may allow AG to recruit his own players with attributes that puts them in a better stead to perform well in his system. An added bonus if we sign a transfer or tow, or even keep a ship open, is that it will help balance the classes a little better than they are now after loosing 4 seniors in one fell swoop.

Well, the issue right now is we're in a world of hurt at PG. Even if Crosby plays well, he can't play 40 minutes per game. We need another PG and Darrell can play a few minutes there if necessary. Frankly, we need two PG's, preferably one a Grad Transfer and one a freshman, in case someone gets hurt.

frisco flyer 04-08-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan (Post 503057)
Well, the issue right now is we're in a world of hurt at PG. Even if Crosby plays well, he can't play 40 minutes per game. We need another PG and Darrell can play a few minutes there if necessary. Frankly, we need two PG's, preferably one a Grad Transfer and one a freshman, in case someone gets hurt.

I agree. Another dependable PG is a must going into next year.

C-time 04-08-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frisco flyer (Post 503059)
I agree. Another dependable PG is a must going into next year.

I would rephrase that.

We need a dependable PG for next year.

Atlantic 10 04-08-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 503063)
I would rephrase that.

We need a dependable PG for next year.

We will

dUDe 04-08-2017 07:57 PM

It's been a couple weeks and AG hasn't hired staff or even met with our recruits? Does anyone know what he is doing? If I were MW I would have asked out too. The most important recruit should have gotten a face to face in the first week. Unless AG was out recruiting a three-star point guard for next season, I have concerns about his priorities.

bcross 04-08-2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dUDe (Post 503070)
It's been a couple weeks and AG hasn't hired staff or even met with our recruits? Does anyone know what he is doing? If I were MW I would have asked out too. The most important recruit should have gotten a face to face in the first week. Unless AG was out recruiting a three-star point guard for next season, I have concerns about his priorities.

It's only been a week and AG has met with the recruits. Met with MW on Thursday.

springborofan 04-08-2017 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dUDe (Post 503070)

What are you smokin' man? He was hired 9 days ago and he has met face to face with all the signed recruits. That means travel to SC, MN, NJ and upstate NY. Plus a day in Dayton for his press conference and meeting with the current players. Add in working the phones to line up assistants. One thing about this man's priorities since you asked...with all he has going on, he made sure he was in OKC to be with his son when he went to his HS prom. I have ZERO concerns about his priorities.

DallasFlyer 04-08-2017 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcross (Post 503052)
For accuracy, the Thomas decommitment opened the door for Price.

So Scoochie committed before Jevon Thomas? Memory has failed me if so.

UDDoug 04-08-2017 11:12 PM

No. Scoochie was the year after Price.

UDFLIES 04-09-2017 07:46 AM

In an interview MW stated he is looking at LSU, IU and UD.
Posted via Mobile Device

ClevelandFlyer05 04-09-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 502981)
Not surprised that he was the guy Grant wanted and not surprised UD's administration nixed it either. But really interesting that it played out that way.

What's this person's name?

jack72 04-09-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDFLIES (Post 503096)
Posted via Mobile Device

Why would a recruit with high skill and aspirations want to go to the dead sea, LSU. They have done nothing since Shaq played there,

DallasFlyer 04-09-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandFlyer05 (Post 503099)
What's this person's name?

Donnie Jones.

BRob2Perryman3 04-09-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 503108)
Why would a recruit with high skill and aspirations want to go to the dead sea, LSU. They have done nothing since Shaq played there,

Well they did have atleast 1 or maybe 2 Final Fours in the mid-2000's. Brandon Bass/Tyrus Thomas teams

1903 Flyer 04-09-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDFLIES (Post 503096)
Posted via Mobile Device

Comparing the three situations:

Last week, LSU offered Corey Davis, the PG for the #1 JUCO team in the country. He happens to be from Louisiana. If he signs, not sure there's room for McKinley. Incidentally, Will Wade is poaching at least one of his former VCU commits.

IU appears to be at 16 scholarship players for the fall. MW would put them 4 over the limit--Archie would have to be creative in culling their roster.

UD has one PG on the roster. MW has a chance to start as a frosh, or at a minimum play in every game, for a team that routinely makes the NCAA tournament and for a coach who for the last two years worked every day with the NBA's top triple double producer.

Easy decision in my book.

BeckysTXA 04-09-2017 10:00 AM

Over on an IU fan board they are lukewarm on Wright. They are over scholarships right now plus they have 5-7 guards on their current roster pending what happens with NBA options.

We will see if AM even entertains him as a recruit. If he is a man of his word, he will not.

DallasFlyer 04-09-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDDoug (Post 503086)
No. Scoochie was the year after Price.

Even so, if Jevon honors that commitment, the PG dynamic is different enough that Scoochie doesn't necessarily cone to Dayton. He might have. But not necessarily.

JimBo 04-09-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1903 Flyer (Post 503119)
Comparing the three situations:

Last week, LSU offered Corey Davis, the PG for the #1 JUCO team in the country. He happens to be from Louisiana. If he signs, not sure there's room for McKinley. Incidentally, Will Wade is poaching at least one of his former VCU commits.

IU appears to be at 16 scholarship players for the fall. MW would put them 4 over the limit--Archie would have to be creative in culling their roster.

UD has one PG on the roster. MW has a chance to start as a frosh, or at a minimum play in every game, for a team that routinely makes the NCAA tournament and for a coach who for the last two years worked every day with the NBA's top triple double producer.

Easy decision in my book.

Plus, Archie has said publicly that he hoped MW would honor his commitment to UD, so when he visits IU I'm sure Arch is telling him that same thing.

C-time 04-09-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA (Post 503121)
We will see if AM even entertains him as a recruit. If he is a man of his word, he will not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBo (Post 503127)
Plus, Archie has said publicly that he hoped MW would honor his commitment to UD, so when he visits IU I'm sure Arch is telling him that same thing.

I know you are both trying to be optimistic, but do you really believe Archie is telling the truth? He is simply offering up the same PC coach speak to the public that every other coach does. If Indiana has guys decide to leave and Archie decides he needs a point guard and Mckinley is the best option he has available Archie is going to take him. It's a cutthroat business and in the end he will do what he thinks is best for Indiana.

MNFats 04-09-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBo (Post 503127)

He can hope he stays with UD (and mean it), and still end up recruiting him. Those two things are not mutually exclusive. It is possible that he would have been very happy for MW had he ended up at UD. But let's remember that we aren't talking about professional athletes honoring contracts. It's an 18 year old kid trying to do what's best for his future.

However, once MW has declared that he is open to other places, Archie would not be fulfilling his commitment to IU if he didn't talk to him.

I'm on record saying that MW is the kind of kid that can be a program changing player as an upperclassman. But even I am fine with an 18 year old kid wanting to follow the guy he created a bond with.

T-Bone 84 04-09-2017 11:22 AM

Not sure how much of the MW to IU talk is wishful thinking on the kid's part, vs. "coach-speak" on Archie's part, vs. a "You're better than that little A-10 school!" on his handlers' part, vs. any other factors. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if, to some degree, it was all of the above.

Of the 3 (LSU, IU, & UD), I think UD offers the best combination of playing time, chance for NCAA exposure, skill development, game-time atmosphere, and academics (if that last point is even a concern for him). But, to paraphrase the immortal Jimmy Binnie, "If he doesn't want to be here, then we don't want him here."
Posted via Mobile Device

m21eagle45 04-09-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 503122)
Even so, if Jevon honors that commitment, the PG dynamic is different enough that Scoochie doesn't necessarily cone to Dayton. He might have. But not necessarily.

Price didn't stop Scoochie from coming, why would Jevon if he was as bad as you guys are making him seem to be?

m21eagle45 04-09-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 (Post 503135)
Of the 3 (LSU, IU, & UD), I think UD offers the best combination of playing time, chance for NCAA exposure, skill development, game-time atmosphere, and academics (if that last point is even a concern for him).
Posted via Mobile Device

You can't be serious? Indiana is a top 100 school academically in almost every publication. UD is anywhere between 111 and 263. They have been to WAY more NCAA Tournaments than us including multiple National Championships. Quite honestly, their roster is better built to make the NCAA Tournament next year than ours currently is even if we keep everyone including MW. IU's Assembly Hall is just as historic as UD Arena, not to mention they are top 10 every year in attendance. I love UD as much as anyone here, but let's not act like IU is Duquense.

Edit: As far as LSU goes, I do not know much about it. But the SEC is a step up from the A10. Will Wade is a good coach, and while they haven't been good lately, historically, they do have some success.

Smitty10 04-09-2017 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 503149)
Price didn't stop Scoochie from coming, why would Jevon if he was as bad as you guys are making him seem to be?

From what I gathered from this thread(I know nothing else from the situation), I'm guessing it's because he was considered a future star PG prior to (here's that term again) exposing himself on the court. Scoochie might have looked at it as they have their point guard for the next few years, I'll go elsewhere. Price seemed more of place holder, to me at least.

OSU Flyer 04-09-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1903 Flyer (Post 503119)

Corey Davis just committed to Houston

NCkevi 04-09-2017 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 503150)
Edit: As far as LSU goes, I do not know much about it. But the SEC is a step up from the A10. Will Wade is a good coach, and while they haven't been good lately, historically, they do have some success.

They need to really hype their final four appearance in 2006 becasue other than that the past 15 years:
2 SEC championships
1-4 record in the NCAA tournament
1-4 Record in the NIT

San Diego Flyer 04-09-2017 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=MNFats;503131] But let's remember that we aren't talking about professional athletes honoring contracts. It's an 18 year old kid trying to do what's best for his future.
QUOTE]

With several dozen relatives and posse chirping in his ear.

What gives me hope is he went to the mat with Minnesota and another school I can't recall (Illinois?), and picked UD for a lot of reasons. And he took his time doing it. Those reasons didn't all go away. Just a couple did.

T-Bone 84 04-09-2017 11:33 PM

m21eagle45, I put "playing time" first for a reason. If he goes to IU, he'll be behind at least 4 and possibly 5 guards on next year's depth chart, between the PG and SG positions. If he wants to play right away, his chances of getting significant minutes are much higher at UD than at IU.
Posted via Mobile Device

1903 Flyer 04-10-2017 07:53 AM

Indirectly related to McKinley... IU boards are stating that Archie and Bruiser met Sunday with Cliff Moore, 6'10" fwd from PA, in an attempt to get him to recommit. Al Durham already committed and IU remains over the scholly limit. Looks less likely that there's room for McKinley at IU.

steve 04-10-2017 07:54 AM

[QUOTE=San Diego Flyer;503171]
Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 503131)
But let's remember that we aren't talking about professional athletes honoring contracts. It's an 18 year old kid trying to do what's best for his future.
QUOTE]

With several dozen relatives and posse chirping in his ear.

What gives me hope is he went to the mat with Minnesota and another school I can't recall (Illinois?), and picked UD for a lot of reasons. And he took his time doing it. Those reasons didn't all go away. Just a couple did.

In a perfect world all those reasons would be weighted equally but, unfortunately, with the rock star status and influence of coaches today they are not with most kids. Props to Jordan Davis for looking beyond one man to dictate the importance of his next four years and the same to Wright, albeit, for far more reasons than UD fans want to understand or need to understand..

hawkoooo 04-10-2017 08:37 AM

AG is in a position not only to offer big minutes (he'll get those by default) but also a starting position. Since Crosby/Wright would probably split time anyway it doesn't really matter who starts, so why not sweeten the deal with a spot in the starting lineup?

maddog07 04-10-2017 08:44 AM

Why stop with just guaranteeing a starting spot to a kid fresh out of high school and who hasn't played a minute of college ball...

Lets throw in letting him call the plays, and getting 75% of the shots and maybe let him develop the schedule and seat him in first class on the non charter flights.......

ClaytonFlyerFan 04-10-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 503202)
AG is in a position not only to offer big minutes (he'll get those by default) but also a starting position. Since Crosby/Wright would probably split time anyway it doesn't really matter who starts, so why not sweeten the deal with a spot in the starting lineup?

A coach should never ever promise a starting spot to any recruit, spots need to be earned. I do not care if your name is LeBron, Kobe, etc.......

m21eagle45 04-10-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 (Post 503191)
m21eagle45, I put "playing time" first for a reason. If he goes to IU, he'll be behind at least 4 and possibly 5 guards on next year's depth chart, between the PG and SG positions. If he wants to play right away, his chances of getting significant minutes are much higher at UD than at IU.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's fine, but A) You mentioned 3 other things, not just one, and UD did not stack up well against the others in those other areas. You made it seem like UD was the best choice for all the reasons that you listed. B) We do not know what he finds as his most important reason for going to a school. Maybe it's a reason that you did not mention. Maybe it's relationship with the coaching staff. Maybe it's playing in a bigger league. Minnesota appeared to be the favorite with Wright until they signed a top 100 PG before he committed.

steve 04-10-2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 503202)

He doesn't have to promise him anything. The writing is on the wall that if MW takes care of business in the classroom, doesn't get injured, and works hard in practice that he'll be getting at least 15-20 mpg just be default. No way even a vastly more improved Crosby plays more than 25-28 mpg...

rollo 04-10-2017 09:10 AM

UD can guarantee more playing time than IU, so go to UD.

But wait!

Wright State will guarantee more playing time than UD...

Then Minnesota-Duluth guarantees more playing time than Wright State!

Then _____ guarantees more playing time than....?????

In other words, playing time is rarely the reason a player commits to anyone.

Development is what they're after.

Alberto Strasse 04-10-2017 09:11 AM

I Hope UD Never Hires a Coach Who Promises

a starting job to anyone. It is determined by competition in practice and the needs of the team.

DallasFlyer 04-10-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 503204)
A coach should never ever promise a starting spot to any recruit, spots need to be earned. I do not care if your name is LeBron, Kobe, etc.......

Semantics. "Hey INSERT NAME - our all-confrence starting PG graduated. There's 30 minutes and a starting spot up for grabs. We NEED you!"

DallasFlyer 04-10-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1903 Flyer (Post 503198)
Indirectly related to McKinley... IU boards are stating that Archie and Bruiser met Sunday with Cliff Moore, 6'10" fwd from PA, in an attempt to get him to recommit. Al Durham already committed and IU remains over the scholly limit. Looks less likely that there's room for McKinley at IU.

IU kid declared for draft today and has signed with an agent so that is one less scholarship that Archie has tied up.

MNFats 04-10-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 503207)
In other words, playing time is rarely the reason a player commits to anyone.

That's not really true. Nobody is saying that playing time is the ONLY factor. If it was then yes - kids would be committing to Eastern Boise Boys School for the Left Handed (EBBSLH).

There isn't any one factor that stands alone in helping kids pick a school. It's a balance of several things. Some are more important to kids than others. Location, Playing Time, Academics, Coaching, School Prestige, Conference Prestige, etc.

Playing time is one of those things. It's the same reason players transfer after a year or two of not playing. They want to play.

Is playing time enough to get a kid to pick us over IU? Maybe not. But to say playing time isn't important to a 18 year old kid who has spent the last 10 years being "the guy" on his team and was just named the best player in his state...is wrong.

oldfan 04-10-2017 10:20 AM

I do not get this IU versus UD for MW's services. I doubt that Archie is seriously looking at Wright as coming to IU. He saw MW as an excellent recruit for UD given the conference UD is in but that is not to say he sees him as the best point guard in the country or anything close to it. Archie and IU are probably completely irrelevant to the recruitment of MW.

MW also is not limited to LSU or one or two other schools. Nearly every school in the country can if they want make room for a player that they really desire. Pitt for example currently has about five opening on its rooster and they just saw their expected starting point guard transfer from the school.

Just saying this paranoia of Archie and IU poaching a UD recruit is just that Paranoia.

rollo 04-10-2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 503216)
Is playing time enough to get a kid to pick us over IU? Maybe not. But to say playing time isn't important to a 18 year old kid who has spent the last 10 years being "the guy" on his team and was just named the best player in his state...is wrong.

Look at what I said below.

Quote:

Development is what they're after.

I never, ever said playing time was 'enough to get a kid to pick us over IU'. Nor did I say it wasn't important.

Apology accepted. You are forgiven. Barely.

DallasFlyer 04-10-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfan (Post 503218)
MW also is not limited to LSU or one or two other schools. Nearly every school in the country can if they want make room for a player that they really desire. Pitt for example currently has about five opening on its rooster and they just saw their expected starting point guard transfer from the school. .

Yep. It's very early on in the (re-)recruitment process. I think there's a better chance McKinley ends up at a school that is not LSU, Indiana or Dayton vs any of those that have been named honestly. I'd bet the field.

NJFlyr71 04-10-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Then Minnesota-Duluth guarantees more playing time than Wright State!

Then _____ guarantees more playing time than....?????

Rollo I believe Minnesota-Duluth was in the National Hockey Championship game over the weekend IIRC. BTW, I think they lost.

But no matter, If they are looking for a BB player he doesn't need to worry about playing time as much as losing some front teeth! :eek:

shocka43 04-10-2017 11:48 AM

MW comments...while tick me off as they show the lack of interest in DU or UD...or whatever we are...show how much his "handler" doesn't care as well. MW didn't write that, but it just goes to show how little his entire camp cares to get it right.

In this case, he was happy with his pick at UD, but since then his people are most likely telling him he he better than UD considering what he has done since signing.

This whole process will shake out and he will be lucky to get on with a school seen as bigger than UD. There has to be the need and the room for him. If he does end up at UD, there will be some explaining to do and probably not the warmest welcome from some. Either your committed...or you're not.

jerseyflyer09 04-10-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shocka43 (Post 503241)
MW comments...while tick me off as they show the lack of interest in DU or UD...or whatever we are...show how much his "handler" doesn't care as well. MW didn't write that, but it just goes to show how little his entire camp cares to get it right.

In this case, he was happy with his pick at UD, but since then his people are most likely telling him he he better than UD considering what he has done since signing.

This whole process will shake out and he will be lucky to get on with a school seen as bigger than UD. There has to be the need and the room for him. If he does end up at UD, there will be some explaining to do and probably not the warmest welcome from some. Either your committed...or you're not.

Not giving him a warm welcome would be very, very silly. Or, in other words, 'sweatery'

MNFats 04-10-2017 12:07 PM

Quote:

I think we are being hard on the kid. He has been super committed to UD all year. He even went through pre-game warm ups in his UD gear. Loved it.

Then he finds out the coaching staff is gone (that's a really big deal). Then hours later he has his first bad game of the year and his team loses their shot at a perfect season and first state title in school history.

I don't know what you were dealing with when you were 18, but that's a lot for him to process in a short amount of time.

He should absolutely do exactly what he is doing. This is his future. Selfishly I wish he had stayed. And I hope he decides to play for the Flyers. But to not give him a warm welcome because he took a step back to consider his future and transposed two words is childish.

steve 04-10-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Ouch....Your comments kind of are hypocritical based on your objective feelings about Archie leaving and some other comments about players having their "right" to choose a school for them based on situations like this happening...Right or wrong (and we/anyone can argue this all day long) as far as a kid choosing a school for the Head coach, Asst. coaches, or scheme, nothing this kid has done wreaks of arrogance, being a head case, being phony, or all of a sudden a prima donna. He ain't the first to "decommit" as there are dozens that do it every year, a bunch that transfer, etc. and it's totally ignorant to call any of these kids selfish, pampered, or anything. Not a person on this site knows s__t about these recruits and their decisions....

You can assume all day what his "handlers" (which may just be his parents/parent),etc. want him to do but this kid probably committed to ARCHIE MILLER, formed a great bond with him and a key component (as in Ostrom ) who, by the way, Archie thinks very highly of.This kid wanted to learn from the BEST as in a head coach and from a very very good PG, himself, at NCSTATE....Guess what??? Archie is gone and Grant is here. Totally different coaches, different systems, different teachers, and totally different personalities....

Every freakin' person on this board would have been thrilled had MW told Grant whenever hew met him (regardless about some of the knee-jerk, ignorant reactions the past couple weeks directed towards Wright) that he was still a UD flyer. But, guess what folks, right now he ain't for whatever reasons they may be but don't forget they are HIS reasons and not yours. Would you like it if you broke up with your chick, divoriced your wife, and had to hear every little Peter dick you know comment about what a POS you were? Of course you would not.You'd tell them to stay the f__k out of it because you know absolutely ZILCH about the reasons..

Jeff 04-10-2017 12:28 PM

Too much worry for things we cant control. Let AG do his thing. Hopefully MW will decide to stay. If he doesn't, wish him well. It's his life.

maddog07 04-10-2017 12:32 PM

I think he's not going to IU. Archie has more integrity than that, especially after saying he hopes all the recruits enroll at UD. Now I think he likes the attention and may well go elsewhere. Hope we get the hat back.

I assume AG has talked with all the recruits and given them a deadline to decide, so he knows what he's got. Wonder how long?

31770 04-10-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 503017)
Hopefully never. If McKinley Wrong re-opened his recruiting before meeting with Grant, then he's a high-maintenance spoiled loser not worthy of Grant's time. If that's the case, I hope Grant told him to f*ck himself. I would.

but roooooooolo.....
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpin' joe (Post 502199)
I wish you would delete this post. The players and recruits read these threads. This is probably the absolute worst time to be ripping one of our players. It's just wrong.

:rolleyes:

shocka43 04-10-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyflyer09 (Post 503242)
Not giving him a warm welcome would be very, very silly. Or, in other words, 'sweatery'

Note I said some...I couldn't care less where he decides to go. Whether it's here or somewhere else. I don't want people playing for UD that don't want to be here. He decides to suit up, he will have my support.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 503246)
Ouch....Your comments kind of are hypocritical based on your objective feelings about Archie leaving and some other comments about players having their "right" to choose a school for them based on situations like this happening...

Not hypocritical at all. He can do as he pleases. My problems lie when you want to decommit and can't even get it right (most likely an adult in his life). Explore other options...have at it. If I decide to switch employers, I don't plan on burning bridges. And by burning bridges that would be not knowing my bosses name or getting the name of the company wrong. The statement indicates to me that UD valued MW more than MW valued UD.

If you read the statement, and thought it was well put together and thought out, then I feel sorry for you. That lack of attention to detail speaks volumes of the people influencing MW.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I support the players that devote their time and effort towards UD, MW included if that is his choice. I do know that this program is bigger than one player and I am tired of hearing, not just on here but other places, that AG's future and the near future of this program is dependent on kids who haven't even moved on campus. I would be much more concerned with the unsupportive statements towards Crosby versus the statements about a potential future player. Had MW decided to stay, right out of the gate, that would have showed his commitment to UD, versus his commitment to transient NCAA coaches. It is his right and his choice, but I am not hung up on the decision. I am confident AG, incoming commits, and current players will be just fine regardless of who decides to show up this summer.

BRob2Perryman3 04-10-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddog07 (Post 503203)
Why stop with just guaranteeing a starting spot to a kid fresh out of high school and who hasn't played a minute of college ball...

Lets throw in letting him call the plays, and getting 75% of the shots and maybe let him develop the schedule and seat him in first class on the non charter flights.......

Sorta like Juwan Staten?

steve 04-10-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shocka43 (Post 503253)
Note I said some...I couldn't care less where he decides to go. Whether it's here or somewhere else. I don't want people playing for UD that don't want to be here. He decides to suit up, he will have my support.

Not hypocritical at all. He can do as he pleases. My problems lie when you want to decommit and can't even get it right (most likely an adult in his life). Explore other options...have at it. If I decide to switch employers, I don't plan on burning bridges. And by burning bridges that would be not knowing my bosses name or getting the name of the company wrong. The statement indicates to me that UD valued MW more than MW valued UD.

If you read the statement, and thought it was well put together and thought out, then I feel sorry for you. That lack of attention to detail speaks volumes of the people influencing MW.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I support the players that devote their time and effort towards UD, MW included if that is his choice. I do know that this program is bigger than one player and I am tired of hearing, not just on here but other places, that AG's future and the near future of this program is dependent on kids who haven't even moved on campus. I would be much more concerned with the unsupportive statements towards Crosby versus the statements about a potential future player. Had MW decided to stay, right out of the gate, that would have showed his commitment to UD, versus his commitment to transient NCAA coaches. It is his right and his choice, but I am not hung up on the decision. I am confident AG, incoming commits, and current players will be just fine regardless of who decides to show up this summer.

And I feel incredibly sorry for YOU as a fan and a person by getting on a kid who says DU instead of UD. Totally ignorant and childish and reeks of diluted fan.

You should really stick with getting on the 40 year loser old fans on this site that call a kid a loser or a bumb or calls him a cancer and thinks he should be off the team. You're pretty good at sticking up for THAT kid, and rightfully, so but that MK doesn't owe UD or DU or University of Dayton or Dayton University jack s___t. He gets to exercise the same "out" option afforded him as Archie does the "out" that was afforded to him..

rollo 04-10-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 503258)
And I feel incredibly sorry for YOU as a fan and a person by getting on a kid who says DU instead of UD. Totally ignorant and childish and reeks of diluted fan.

You should really stick with getting on the 40 year loser old fans on this site that call a kid a loser or a bumb or calls him a cancer and thinks he should be off the team. You're pretty good at sticking up for THAT kid, and rightfully, so but that MK doesn't owe UD or DU or University of Dayton or Dayton University jack s___t. He gets to exercise the same "out" option afforded him as Archie does the "out" that was afforded to him..

Stephanie, you sound like a snowflake. Man up and hold these young men to their words and commitments.

steve 04-10-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 503261)
Stephanie, you sound like a snowflake. Man up and hold these young men to their words and commitments.

LOL. Why don't you tell your little snowflake buddies at DU to man up and hold these young men to their words and commitments.After all, they got the power. They can do it. They can tell Mr. Wright "no way are we snowflakes, son, as you will be playing for nobody other than DU next season"...

rollo 04-10-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 503263)
LOL. Why don't you tell your little snowflake buddies at DU to man up and hold these young men to their words and commitments.After all, they got the power. They can do it. They can tell Mr. Wright "no way are we snowflakes, son, as you will be playing for nobody other than DU next season"...

Stephanie, what does Duquesne have to do with this story?

BRob2Perryman3 04-10-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Really? Show me one instance of ANYONE, using the words loser,bum or cancer? Even if they did its out of pure emotion, some people pour their hearts into this program as fans. I do.

I dont care if you are a 5 star cant miss blue-chipper, you can't drop DU without being called out for it. McKinley is allowed to bolt, i dont blame him, he was here for Archie and Archie's word, Archie bounced i dont blame him if he does the same.

The only person that called anyone a loser was you. Shocka is a Pride+ member,devoted to the school and travels to see the team. Pardon me if i jump to defend him.

I'm with you 100% on McKinley. But to call out Shocka's fandom or his opinion of said program, thats beyond ridiculous

San Diego Flyer 04-10-2017 01:49 PM

Talking absolute minutes is foolhardy...but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 503204)

I think "guaranteeing minutes" is way too absolute. But if I'm a program that hasn't had a good 5 spot stick in over a decade, and a young Tyson Chandler, or even Sean Finn, is showing interest, I offer him my undivided personal development promise. That includes the right amount of court time to demonstrate his training is working at every step of the way. Those opportunities don't come along often in our strata. I let him know that face to face.
The rest of the lineup should be smart enough to get what's going on (see Big Steve).

The only time that backfires if you have clear competition at the position. When have we ever had two promising real 5's in the fold at the same time as Freshmen, fighing for minutes? That doesn't count pseudo 5's that we are trying to fill the position by committee with guys that are really 4's.

Gazoo 04-10-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

You should really stick with getting on the 40 year loser old fans on this site that call a kid a loser or a bumb or calls him a cancer and thinks he should be off the team.

I don't know what a bumb is, is that a new term those whipper-snappers use these days?

Heh heh. 40 year olds. Those old geezers should just walk off the reservation to keep from slowing down the entire tribe. They're mostly dead by then anyway.

steve 04-10-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 503265)
Really? Show me one instance of ANYONE, using the words loser,bum or cancer? Even if they did its out of pure emotion, some people pour their hearts into this program as fans. I do.

I dont care if you are a 5 star cant miss blue-chipper, you can't drop DU without being called out for it. McKinley is allowed to bolt, i dont blame him, he was here for Archie and Archie's word, Archie bounced i dont blame him if he does the same.

The only person that called anyone a loser was you. Shocka is a Pride+ member,devoted to the school and travels to see the team. Pardon me if i jump to defend him.

I'm with you 100% on McKinley. But to call out Shocka's fandom or his opinion of said program, thats beyond ridiculous

LMAO. First off, show me where I directly (you understand what that means, huh? ) called Shockey a loser. Please do.So on one hand those vehement words have never been said but on the other hand they have and it's okay since it's out of emotion? People usually mean what they say and say what they mean when they're "emotional" because there might be 1% of the posters on this site that would the nads' to say anything to other posters or players come face-to-face that they didn't care for.

You, I, Shockey, or anyone has to be a complete idiot to call out a kid and tell them to not let the door hit him in the arse or any paraphrasing by anyone with that intent simply by saying DU. I hope to God the kid comes to UD just so I could witness the swallowing of the softball size lumps in their throats....They'd all want to snuggle up with the kid let alone should he become the player many think he can become.

MDFlyer 04-10-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoo (Post 503268)
I don't know what a bumb is, is that a new term those whipper-snappers use these days?

Heh heh. 40 year olds. Those old geezers should just walk off the reservation to keep from slowing down the entire tribe. They're mostly dead by then anyway.

"Snowflake" is the word old Geezers use nowadays actually. See: this thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

JimBo 04-10-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Either your committed...or you're not.

If coaches these days aren't committed, how can you expect the same of recruits. I know I'm going to get told it's not the same, but in some manners it is. Recruits need to get back to basing decisions more so on schools and programs rather than coaches. Unless you're good enough to go to Duke, or one of the other fortunate schools who have coaches who are lifers, I'm not sure how recruits can believe anything they are told. Coaches probably tell recruits the same things they tell fans, I love it here and have never thought of going anywhere else. If you're talented enough, the NBA will come calling, regardless of where you play your collegiate days at. I think coaches get way too much credit for sending players to the NBA.

There is no such thing as commitment in college basketball anymore. No reason at all to expect it from recruits.

MNFats 04-10-2017 02:45 PM

I think we need a group hug...

UDBaby 04-10-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDFlyer (Post 503270)
"Snowflake" is the word old Geezers use nowadays actually. See: this thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

....and when used in the context throughout the Pride, is a word I'd love to see melt away faster than flurries in Floria....almost as over-used-abused as "unbelievable," one a banal exclamation, the other banal machismo. :cool:

UDGutter2 04-10-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Either your committed...or you're not.

There are also those of us who should be, but I won't name names.

shocka43 04-10-2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

And I feel incredibly sorry for YOU as a fan and a person by getting on a kid who says DU instead of UD. Totally ignorant and childish and reeks of diluted fan..

You've totally glazed over the totality of my posts in your haste to defend the situation.

You missed the point that the statement wasn't written by him...it was written by someone else...most likely an adult...and that adult most likely has the ear of MW. That person that can't take the time to pay attention to the detail in a simple statement about reneging on a LOI, probably also isn't thinking about the big picture with MW's academic and athletic future, and more likely thinking about the interests of the adult at hand.

Don't know how or why that is so confusing, other than people read what they want to read and don't understand the entire point.

If he comes here. Good. If he doesn't? UD will get by. We have a 4 page thread dedicated to a kid who wants to "explore his options". Good for him. But eventually, UD and the basketball program will have to move on...either with or without. I not once knocked this kid. I knocked those that are making decisions for him.

CE80 04-10-2017 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shocka43 (Post 503286)
We have a 4 page thread dedicated to a kid who wants to "explore his options".

Really only about 1 page deals with the kid. The other 3 pages deals with us b!tching at each other.

Atlantic 10 04-10-2017 04:25 PM

I believe IU should have bought out the remaining years on Archies contract, but they didn't. Plus I see that MW tweeted that he got his release from Dayton. I just don't care anymore, time to go golfing

steve 04-10-2017 04:28 PM

Anybody that continually has to say "most likely" in a discussion then I really don't listen to as they probably don't know what in the hell they're really talking about nor are they privy to any facts and they're the ones trying to defend.Try obtaining some before you obtusely accuse someone else of trying to defend anything other than being objective..

longtimefan 04-10-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 (Post 503288)
I believe IU should have bought out the remaining years on Archies contract, but they didn't. Plus I see that MW tweeted that he got his release from Dayton. I just don't care anymore, time to go golfing

I just got home from playing golf, and now I'm reading the crap in this thread. Should have played another nine.