UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   UDPride Articles (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32733)

Swampy Meadows 01-11-2019 01:56 PM

It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) – There are two kinds of people in the world:

Optimists and pessimists

Not sure when I signed up to be one of the former, but I’ve been that way for as long as I can remember. Being in sales helps -- you gotta think that next big sale is right around the corner, otherwise what’s the point?

Being a Red Sox fan helped, as well. After the 2003 playoff disaster vs. the Yankees the ready refrain of “Wait ‘til next year” actually came true at the expense of the same ball club the very next season, on their way to their first World Series in 86 years.

So, when the Flyers fell behind by 22 in the early going on the road against GW on Wednesday night, I resisted the temptation to turn off Larry & Bucky and instead posted this when the Red & Blue cut the lead down to 33-16:

It ain't over 'til it's over.

I even ventured over to the FlyerHoops.net MB game thread and said the same thing. You can look it up.

At halftime, Captain Optimism had this observation:

Cut a 22-point lead to 10 at the break. Do the same in the 2nd half and UD wins.

Of course, AG’s boys made liars out of me – they ended up winning by 6 and not by 2.

What made the difference, besides the re-emergence of one Jordan Davis’ three-point shot?

Defense

GW scored 33 vs the zone in 9 minutes; they scored 33 vs man in 31 minutes.

Unpossible you say? The ball (and the stats) don’t lie.

It was one helluva comeback, the biggest in UD men’s hoops history. To do it on the road makes it that much more impressive.

And now, as Bill Belichick likes to say:

“We are on to UMass.”

The meeting of these two schools pits my alma mater against what was, at the time I was applying to college, my “safety school.” Altho I’m pretty sure that term hadn’t been invented at that point.

Here’s where the optimist in me took hold.

At the 50th reunion of my Notre Dame Prep class last summer, we came to the conclusion that we were all basically knuckleheads when we were 18 years old. None bigger than yours truly. Several of my friends were enlisting in the Air Force in order to avoid getting drafted and sent to Viet Nam. For about 10 seconds I thought about joining them.

I visited UD for a week at the start of my older brother’s senior year. Went to the County Fair. Ate at Arby’s, which we didn’t have back in Boston. Hung out with his frat brothers. Drank lots of 3.2 beer. I liked it -- the college, not so much the 3.2 beer.

When it came time to apply to schools, I did so to Dayton and nowhere else. If I got shot down by UD, I would then apply to UMass. Never had to.

Graduated in Comm Arts. Met my wife. Got hired at WVUD and started a lifelong career in sales. Somehow it all worked out.

Just like the GW game.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com