UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   McKinley Wright (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30774)

ud2 04-07-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 502734)
At this point, I believe that IU is still technically over the scholarship limit.

I re-counted...IU is still over the limit...IU is 1 over the limit...IU at 14 scholarship players now.

Radar 04-07-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 (Post 502822)
DAYTON UNIVERSITY? :wtfsign:

REALLY???????

Maybe he is getting feelers from the UNIVERSITY of DUKE :eek:

Easier to spell!

Or Notre Dame University.

FlyerinChicago 04-07-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankStreetFlyer (Post 502818)
Here is his announcement. UD is still being strongly considered.

https://twitter.com/Ballislife_025/s...313792/photo/1

I think you meant DU

MNFats 04-07-2017 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankStreetFlyer (Post 502823)
This also allows Coach Grant to scour the grad transfers for a replacement. We will be fine.

Yes we will be fine. However, a grad transfer will, at best, bring stability and production. Which is great.

MW had the potential (not a guarantee, but potential) to really elevate this program. His ceiling is significantly higher than any of the grad transfers. I know we all want to pretend like this isn't a bad thing. I know it's not a good thing.

I also worry about the other recruits following his path. The trail has been blazed - it is now MUCH easier for the others to do the same.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not in panic mode...but I'm also not just shrugging my shoulders and saying "Oh well".

Medford 04-07-2017 03:14 PM

Dayton University? Sayanora and don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Can't blame him much.

steve 04-07-2017 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 502832)
Yes we will be fine. However, a grad transfer will, at best, bring stability and production. Which is great.

MW had the potential (not a guarantee, but potential) to really elevate this program. His ceiling is significantly higher than any of the grad transfers. I know we all want to pretend like this isn't a bad thing. I know it's not a good thing.

I also worry about the other recruits following his path. The trail has been blazed - it is now MUCH easier for the others to do the same.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not in panic mode...but I'm also not just shrugging my shoulders and saying "Oh well".

Interesting why he would do this within 24-48 hours of meeting AG (he's had a week to do this) unless he really wants to see what Grant is made of from the recruiting standpoint..

Smitty10 04-07-2017 03:23 PM

Quote:

Doubt he's really still considering Dayton. There's too much of a small time frame for him right now to set free, research and then come sign again while the Flyers are going to have to find a backup PG.

Probably put that in there as a long shot manipulation that Dayton will go easy on the restrictions so as to treat him with kid gloves.

m21eagle45 04-07-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 502838)
Interesting why he would do this within 24-48 hours of meeting AG (he's had a week to do this) unless he really wants to see what Grant is made of from the recruiting standpoint..

Dead period ended today at noon. He couldn't talk to other schools while he was signed. I am guessing he was giving UD a week to recruit him and giving them a chance before opening up to other coaches.

steve 04-07-2017 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 502842)
Dead period ended today at noon. He couldn't talk to other schools while he was signed. I am guessing he was giving UD a week to recruit him and giving them a chance before opening up to other coaches.

My initial thoughts were that Grant would have met with the recruits starting early this week prior to the period ending..Yes, gotta have a staff and I'm sure quite busy there but plenty of phone work involved which, seemingly, could have been done in route...

jack72 04-07-2017 03:34 PM

He, and his advisors, think he will get more big time recruitment after that great senior year. Doubt he is, or has, been looking at IU. Someone he sees as bigger and better will now swoop in. I just hope this does not affect the others.

And to McKinley: Dayton is the same great school and program, nothing has changed. The opportunity to start from Day 1 is yours for the easy pickin'.

steve 04-07-2017 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 502839)
Doubt he's really still considering Dayton. There's too much of a small time frame for him right now to set free, research and then come sign again while the Flyers are going to have to find a backup PG.

Probably put that in there as a long shot manipulation that Dayton will go easy on the restrictions so as to treat him with kid gloves.

It's easier to resign with the Flyers should he be intrigued, impressed, and sold by AG than anywhere else at least at this moment. I'm thinking he wants the total sell job by AG or he's "in like flint" with Archie..

jerseyflyer09 04-07-2017 03:40 PM

I think it was extremely unrealistic to expect him not to request release and it's equally unrealistic to expect him to sign with us again. Kids commit to coaches not schools at the D1 level (unless it's an IVY or something like that where it's a life decision). Root for him to re-sign but don't hold your breath. I think we'll go the grad transfer route and I think it will be a good one...then try to hit it big with a 2018 pg.

CoffeeCan 04-07-2017 03:44 PM

I would do the same thing. If I were hired to start a new job and my boss went to another company, I would not necessarily start at that company regardless. Not saying that I would follow my would-be boss to his new company, but I would take my time and do my due diligence with the company that offered me the job. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

MNFats 04-07-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeCan (Post 502850)
I would do the same thing. If I were hired to start a new job and my boss went to another company, I would not necessarily start at that company regardless. Not saying that I would follow my would-be boss to his new company, but I would take my time and do my due diligence with the company that offered me the job. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Totally agree. I don't blame him one bit. It sucks for us, but it's not our future he needs to think about.

Also agree with the folks saying he isn't actually still considering us. They always say that to make the break up easier. I can't remember a case of a kid getting his release only to commit to that school again later.

I wish him luck. I really do.

steve 04-07-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 502852)
Totally agree. I don't blame him one bit. It sucks for us, but it's not our future he needs to think about.

Also agree with the folks saying he isn't actually still considering us. They always say that to make the break up easier. I can't remember a case of a kid getting his release only to commit to that school again later.

I wish him luck. I really do.

The IU kid that recently decommitted just reaffirmed to IU..Not sure if the rhetoric was exactly the same but it really doesn't matter. Grant is going to have to recruit this kid hard and sell his style..

Smitty10 04-07-2017 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 502848)
It's easier to resign with the Flyers should he be intrigued, impressed, and sold by AG than anywhere else at least at this moment. I'm thinking he wants the total sell job by AG or he's "in like flint" with Archie..

Maybe, but how much time do both Dayton and MW have to play this game? MW might figure out 2 weeks from now Dayton is his best opportunity at this point in time but Grant might have signed a PG transfer (because he can't afford to wait). Or if AG decides to wait it out a little he might miss out on his transfer while MW decides to move on anyway. I would think that MW having AG one on one while he's still under LOI would be good enough to find out everything he's going to find out about the program under AG at this point in time.

This really is a bad situation for the Flyers. This is the big cost of AM's pattern of big class/small class/big class/small class. It certainly helps AM keep experienced player at all times, but it hurts the program when he leaves and he's on a big freshman/junior small sophomore/senior year.

Smitty10 04-07-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 502846)
He, and his advisors, think he will get more big time recruitment after that great senior year. Doubt he is, or has, been looking at IU. Someone he sees as bigger and better will now swoop in. I just hope this does not affect the others.

And to McKinley: Dayton is the same great school and program, nothing has changed. The opportunity to start from Day 1 is yours for the easy pickin'.

Really? John Crosby who you've strongly supported throughout his ups and downs has a say in that doesn't he?

steve 04-07-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 502855)
Maybe, but how much time do both Dayton and MW have to play this game? MW might figure out 2 weeks from now Dayton is his best opportunity at this point in time but Grant might have signed a PG transfer (because he can't afford to wait). Or if AG decides to wait it out a little he might miss out on his transfer while MW decides to move on anyway. I would think that MW having AG one on one while he's still under LOI would be good enough to find out everything he's going to find out about the program under AG at this point in time.

This really is a bad situation for the Flyers. This is the big cost of AM's pattern of big class/small class/big class/small class. It certainly helps AM keep experienced player at all times, but it hurts the program when he leaves and he's on a big freshman/junior small sophomore/senior year.

There won't be a game played, imho. Maybe with 1-2 years left before you have to sign the dotted line then, yes, but not at this juncture. AG will have a couple hours to leave an impression on him but AG would be a fool to not be straight with the young man..I'm sure AG will tell him he has this amount of time or maybe that he's also recruiting other players due to the circumstances..Either way both AG and MW will have to "want" to be together the next 4 years..For all we know, AG could leave Wright's house after the visit and say I don't want him because his heart isn't in it or he doesn't like his attitude..

m21eagle45 04-07-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

At this point I do not think AG should wait. I think he should keep recruiting MW, but if another player comes along, then AG shouldn't feel obligated to wait on MW. That is the risk both of them are going to have to take. But I would much rather UD sign a good replacement, then holding out hope they get MW back and he commit somewhere else.

Smitty10 04-07-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 502858)
At this point I do not think AG should wait. I think he should keep recruiting MW, but if another player comes along, then AG shouldn't feel obligated to wait on MW. That is the risk both of them are going to have to take. But I would much rather UD sign a good replacement, then holding out hope they get MW back and he commit somewhere else.

Which, if MW is seriously still considering UD, he should find out all he needs to know before receiving his release. To me it's an indication that at most with UD, he can take it or leave, doesn't matter much to him. If he really believes that UD still might be the best choice he could make, I wouldn't think he'd ask for his release prior to finding this out and risk losing his chance based on the AG's need to have a 2nd pg next season at all costs. And I think if he made this clear to AG, AG would've put all aside for a little while to give the young man the info he needs to make that decision.

Bucketnight 04-07-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Ideally there has been phone contact. I thought someone posted that AG was supposed to meet with Wright within the next few days... but i may be confused. If that is the case, AG should have a solid feel for it the visit was real or just a courtesy.

But AG needs to move forward as if he is not coming. While it would be ideal to get a plug and play grad transfer, there will only be so many available.

John C. 04-07-2017 04:16 PM

The kid is rolling the dice. I am sure he immediately got calls from other schools including P5s. However, how many of those have been to 4 straight NCAAs and have a real opening for a freshman point guard? May end up at a bigger name, but I would guess he will spend more time talking to the assistant coaches on the bench instead of leading the offense. Just depends on his priorities.

FlyingArrow 04-07-2017 04:23 PM

I don't know if he would have started as a freshman, but he would have had major minutes all 4 years. Next up.

Smitty10 04-07-2017 04:24 PM

There's so many moving parts to this. Let's look at what we've heard about AG and recruiting. From the optimistic and in general, AG should be bringing in a higher rated set of recruits in than AM did. If so, I would be very leery if I were MW. While getting MW to play for him would help smooth out AG's initial seasons here, would he really not be looking for a higher recruit/ceiling PG next year? I think this applies to all 5 of our newby's that AM recruited here. I'm pretty sure that the chances that any two coaches don't have a major difference in the type of players that they want to bring into the program are very, very low.

Medford 04-07-2017 04:31 PM

Lets not be naive and think that there haven't been other schools "in contact" with him. Perhaps not directly, as that would be a violation, but thru a friend of a friend, he has an idea of what his options. Perhaps AG can convince him to stick with the Flyers, but my gut tells me that he's already gone, probably has been for a time as well, just made it official w/ the dead period ending.

flyerfever 04-07-2017 04:34 PM

Jimmie Binnie to Trent Meachum.

Bucketnight 04-07-2017 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 502872)
There's so many moving parts to this. Let's look at what we've heard about AG and recruiting. From the optimistic and in general, AG should be bringing in a higher rated set of recruits in than AM did. If so, I would be very leery if I were MW. While getting MW to play for him would help smooth out AG's initial seasons here, would he really not be looking for a higher recruit/ceiling PG next year? I think this applies to all 5 of our newby's that AM recruited here. I'm pretty sure that the chances that any two coaches don't have a major difference in the type of players that they want to bring into the program are very, very low.

I could see any of the recruits being leery of the change in styles. It is a legitimate concern especially because AG isn't coming directly from another program as head coach.

But every coach should be trying to recruit over every player if possible (with some consideration to positional strength). If he is worried about that he should signed at a low level MAC school.

CoffeeCan 04-07-2017 04:36 PM

MW wants out of commitment but still considering UD = "I still want to be friends" line. He is gone, IMHO. Hope I am wrong.

Bucketnight 04-07-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 502872)
I'm pretty sure that the chances that any two coaches don't have a major difference in the type of players that they want to bring into the program are very, very low.

This may become an issue for players currently on the roster as well.

Smitty10 04-07-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucketnight (Post 502884)
This may become an issue for players currently on the roster as well.

It could be but chances are less so, or that they would act on those concerns. It just makes less sense to sit out a season to play one or two more under a different coach at a different program. Other than maybe XW and KA, I really don't see any of our returning players as being that hot of a commodity to think they will have it better elsewhere. In a sense, most of our returnees stock value has gone down as they've exposed themselves on a college court.

Bucketnight 04-07-2017 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medford (Post 502875)
Lets not be naive and think that there haven't been other schools "in contact" with him. Perhaps not directly, as that would be a violation, but thru a friend of a friend, he has an idea of what his options. Perhaps AG can convince him to stick with the Flyers, but my gut tells me that he's already gone, probably has been for a time as well, just made it official w/ the dead period ending.

Is it permissable to speak with coaches during the dark periods? I would think that a quick call to the AAU coach or HS coach "just checking in to see if a player was ok with the changes or considering asking for a release (not offering or anything because that isn't allowed)" would find its way back to the player.

jack72 04-07-2017 04:51 PM

Very tough for AG right now to cover all the bases with no assistants. He has to hire his help, see all the recruits, take care of talking to the press and UD Staff and get settled in a new environment, and oh yes, start coaching. He may have to pick his priorities as to who he sees first and last, and when. Who knows, Wright may have already had his feelings hurt.

Bucketnight 04-07-2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 502887)
It could be but chances are less so, or that they would act on those concerns. It just makes less sense to sit out a season to play one or two more under a different coach at a different program. Other than maybe XW and KA, I really don't see any of our returning players as being that hot of a commodity to think they will have it better elsewhere. In a sense, most of our returnees stock value has gone down as they've exposed themselves on a college court.

I was thinking more along the lines of someone who's playing time gets cut based upon a style change wanting to go somewhere to get more time based upon fit... probably transferring down to lower level conference/school.

jack72 04-07-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 502856)
Really? John Crosby who you've strongly supported throughout his ups and downs has a say in that doesn't he?

Crosby is, and will be, a nice player, but he is nowhere on the level of this kid. Wright is a stud.

m21eagle45 04-07-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 502861)
Which, if MW is seriously still considering UD, he should find out all he needs to know before receiving his release. To me it's an indication that at most with UD, he can take it or leave, doesn't matter much to him. If he really believes that UD still might be the best choice he could make, I wouldn't think he'd ask for his release prior to finding this out and risk losing his chance based on the AG's need to have a 2nd pg next season at all costs. And I think if he made this clear to AG, AG would've put all aside for a little while to give the young man the info he needs to make that decision.

The problem with the bold above is he was not able to talk to any schools since Archie has left. Maybe he likes everything AG has said so far, but he wants to meet with a few other schools to make sure he is making the right choice. There is absolutely nothing wrong with exploring all options if you are him.

Smitty10 04-07-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucketnight (Post 502891)
I was thinking more along the lines of someone who's playing time gets cut based upon a style change wanting to go somewhere to get more time based upon fit... probably transferring down to lower level conference/school.

So you're saying after this upcoming season. Again, it's least likely with only one year of eligibility left and we will have 5 players in that situation and only 1 with 2 years left(Trey). Again, I think that's why that wasn't a worry or at least one that they can/will act on. But if you're referring to the incoming recruits who choose to stay, I agree on that.

ud2 04-07-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. (Post 502865)
The kid is rolling the dice. I am sure he immediately got calls from other schools including P5s. However, how many of those have been to 4 straight NCAAs and have a real opening for a freshman point guard?

And all 4 NCAAT appearances were with the old coach that just left...and the new coach is not from Archie's staff.

UD is a completely different program now vs. when Archie was here.

You are trying to say that nothing has changed, when, in fact, everything has changed.

Smitty10 04-07-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 502893)
The problem with the bold above is he was not able to talk to any schools since Archie has left. Maybe he likes everything AG has said so far, but he wants to meet with a few other schools to make sure he is making the right choice. There is absolutely nothing wrong with exploring all options if you are him.

My point though is he's risking his chances of signing at UD in the future by doing this. If let's say AM were still here and he had the same opportunity to reevaluate his situation with the risk of losing out on UD, would he take it? I'm thinking no, he wouldn't. So this at least tells me he's not as enthusiastic to play here now that AM is gone.

It certainly means that he's not as high on playing for the Flyers and AG as he was the Flyers and AM. I think he's gone. I believe everything else is wishful thinking.

Smitty10 04-07-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 502892)
Crosby is, and will be, a nice player, but he is nowhere on the level of this kid. Wright is a stud.

Is he stud enough to start over Crosby on day 1 though? I would guess not, very rare to find a Freshman like that.

CT Flyer 04-07-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 502895)
And all 4 NCAAT appearances were with the old coach that just left...and the new coach is not from Archie's staff.

You are trying to say that nothing has changed, when, in fact, everything has changed.

I would not say a completely different program. Maybe a different team than they were but not program. To me the difference between a team and a program is the team is the product/style you play on the floor from year to year and the program is the intangibles that are still in place like facilities, resources, rabid fan base, tradition, good academic school, great collegiate atmosphere both athletically and socially, etc. I would agree that in today's recruiting game the team means more than the program but hopefully the program still means something to some of them (looks like it was that way for J. Davis).

Bucketnight 04-07-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 502894)
So you're saying after this upcoming season. Again, it's least likely with only one year of eligibility left and we will have 5 players in that situation and only 1 with 2 years left(Trey). Again, I think that's why that wasn't a worry or at least one that they can/will act on. But if you're referring to the incoming recruits who choose to stay, I agree on that.

I can see any of those scenarios. There are plenty of kids who transfer after their Soph and Jr years. Often it occurs because their minutes decrease. Not suggesting it will happen; not suggesting that it would be a problem if it does.

MikeF 04-07-2017 05:07 PM

When I saw how many posts had been posted since I last logged in today, I knew either (a) Wright confirmed he was staying or (b) Wright asked for his release. Bummer, though not unexpected, it's (b) rather than (a).

Bucketnight 04-07-2017 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 502893)

I would think he would want to talk to Ostrom... and possibly Archie. He appears to trust Ostrom and even if there isn't really a spot at IU, Ostrom can give MW insight on AG, UD and other assorted schools and their acronyms.

C-time 04-07-2017 05:10 PM

Mckinley has the right to explore his options, but Anthony Grant has the right to explore his options too. He knows he only has one point guard currently on the roster for next year, and needs to make sure he gets at least a 2nd.

And now for my favorite reminder since I haven't posted it in a few days:

DON'T TWEET RECRUITS!!!!

Smitty10 04-07-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ud2 (Post 502895)

This is spot on.

To me, a supporter of Flyers basketball for many, many years, I look over the whole picture and think that AM was the guy to take us to the next level after years getting to a point that someone could. I also look at AG as being the opportunity, thanks to OP, BG and AM of continuing the upswing. I look/wish at it as a rising program.

To a recruit, they might look upon the last 22 seasons as a program that can have a lot of average and some above average seasons but hit on the right coach in the same way you hit on an above average season and now that he's gone, the program falls back to it's normal.

Let's be honest, through out our last 4 years of success, when talked about nationally, we weren't talked about as a long term rising program, we were talked about as basketball program with a great history and great fans who have been very successful lately due to a great new, young coach. I'm sure the recruits don't look at it much differently.

m21eagle45 04-07-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 502900)
My point though is he's risking his chances of signing at UD in the future by doing this. If let's say AM were still here and he had the same opportunity to reevaluate his situation with the risk of losing out on UD, would he take it? I'm thinking no, he wouldn't. So this at least tells me he's not as enthusiastic to play here now that AM is gone.

It certainly means that he's not as high on playing for the Flyers and AG as he was the Flyers and AM. I think he's gone. I believe everything else is wishful thinking.

I get what you are saying, the problem is, he committed to Archie and UD, not AG and UD. That situation has changed, that is what has forced the exploring of options. If all things were the same, he probably wouldn't be looking. But the situation has changed. Kids now commit to the coach, not the school.

UDBrian 04-07-2017 05:31 PM

Archie never really finished his statements concerning UD bball. What he was really saying is "UD is a great place to be until I get the job I really want". I disagree that everything was worth it when there were six recruits left hanging that will severely impact the short term and possibly long term future of UD bball.

PerrymanFan 04-07-2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 502858)

Totally agree, its foolish waiting on a kid who's given no indication he wants to be at "Dayton University". In fact I hope that AG was already working on a Plan B before today assuming there was a good chance this would happen. I look forward to seeing AG work, next man up.

MNFats 04-07-2017 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 502907)
And now for my favorite reminder since I haven't posted it in a few days:

DON'T TWEET RECRUITS!!!!

Looking at Jordan Davis's Twitter page...looks like some folks didn't get your memo...

Viperstick 04-07-2017 05:37 PM

Quote:

Strongly considered. Yeah right...

Let's get a baller to run this show who wants to be here.

DGO67 04-07-2017 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 502909)
I get what you are saying, the problem is, he committed to Archie and UD, not AG and UD. That situation has changed, that is what has forced the exploring of options. If all things were the same, he probably wouldn't be looking. But the situation has changed. Kids now commit to the coach, not the school.

Has a kid ever de-committed Kansas, North Carolina, Indiana or Kentucky when a new coach was announced? The issue for P5 programs is not losing recruits due to a coaching change, it's retaining them for more than a year.

Bucketnight 04-07-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDBrian (Post 502916)
Archie never really finished his statements concerning UD bball. What he was really saying is "UD is a great place to be until I get the job I really want". I disagree that everything was worth it when there were six recruits left hanging that will severely impact the short term and possibly long term future of UD bball.

Yeah, that Elite Eight run sucked... totally not worth it.

With very very very (many more verys) few exceptions, any coach that was in Archie's place would have done what he did. Hopefully, we hit a homerun with a coach who as an alum, will feel different.

This is stressful; deal with it. It can be frustrating; deal with it. I can just imagine all those LaSalle alums sitting around thinking "Glad, we're not in Dayton's shoes"

C-time 04-07-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 502918)
Looking at Jordan Davis's Twitter page...looks like some folks didn't get your memo...

I'm allowing a one time exemption of the "Don't Tweet the Recruits" rule since Jordan announced he is staying with UD. You are allowed one tweet that simply congratulates him and say Go Flyers. This exemption applies to any of the recruits who announces they are choosing to keep their commitment.

The Fly 04-07-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGO67 (Post 502921)
Has a kid ever de-committed Kansas, North Carolina, Indiana or Kentucky when a new coach was announced?

Of course it's happened. It just did at Indiana after Crean's firing. Two recruits decommited, although one has since changed his mind and decided to stay.

m21eagle45 04-07-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGO67 (Post 502921)
Has a kid ever de-committed Kansas, North Carolina, Indiana or Kentucky when a new coach was announced? The issue for P5 programs is not losing recruits due to a coaching change, it's retaining them for more than a year.

As The Fly just mentioned IU lost 2 when Crean was fired, Kentucky lost quite a few recruits when Cal was hired. Some of that was players not wanting to play with Cal and some of that was Cal replacing them with better players. As far as Kansas and UNC are concerned, it's been a long time since their last coaching change, I do not feel like going and looking it up, but I am sure it did.

Edit: But Duke, UNC, Kansas, Indiana are not your typical P5's. Other P5's have lost a ton of recruits during coaching changes. Just this cycle, NC State, Illinois, Oklahoma St, and Cal have all lost recruits with their coaching changes, and that is just off the top of my head. Changes happen when coaches change.

redbengal 04-07-2017 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 502887)
In a sense, most of our returnees stock value has gone down as they've exposed themselves on a college court.

Only Flyer I can recall exposing himself on a college court was Dyshawn Pierre while grabbing a rebound against Boise State in the First Four.

Tip your waitstaff.

Smitty10 04-07-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbengal (Post 502947)
Only Flyer I can recall exposing himself on a college court was Dyshawn Pierre while grabbing a rebound against Boise State in the First Four.

Tip your waitstaff.

That's wrong, Kyle came down from a leap at the same rebound and brushed against his shorts causing the incident. He didn't expose himself, Kyle exposed him.

longtimefan67 04-07-2017 07:30 PM

My gut instinct is that he's gone, he's been gone and was so the moment he found out AM left UD. I think because of the UD fan base sitting on the ledge waiting, he suspects the worse case scenario is the he re-commits to UD if something better doesn't happen (but his HS coach and handlers know probably something will just based on interest). His first choice will be AM/IU, 2nd would be Minnesota or any other big-time program and if all else fails and falls through, UD will be happy to re-sign him, and go back to UD and be a hero. I hope AG does the solid thing and sells himself and "Dayton University" back to MW. I also hope AG has someone who really wants to play at UD - and hopefully that recruit realizes the jackpot he's hit (because he will have hit one) and he'll instantly become a fan favorite for it. And I hope this new recruit signs soon; because MW lost me for good with "Dayton University".

redbengal 04-07-2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 502948)
That's wrong, Kyle came down from a leap at the same rebound and brushed against his shorts causing the incident. He didn't expose himself, Kyle exposed him.

Quite true about Kyle as I've replayed it dozens of times (mostly at my kids' request). But it didn't work as well so, obviously, I couldn't use it in the final version that went to print.

T-Bone 84 04-07-2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty10 (Post 502900)

While I would still welcome him with open arms, I have to believe he's a recruit who chose a coach rather than a program. I mean, you do a tweet where you announce that you're reopening your recruiting, and you can't even get the correct name of the school to which you originally committed? Maybe I'm reading too much into that, but come on, man! Dayton University?!

No, I think he's gone. And if Archie doesn't have room for him at the University of Indiana, maybe Matta can find room for him at the State University of Ohio?
Posted via Mobile Device

rollo 04-07-2017 08:14 PM

Dayton U?

McKinley Wrong...see you later. Royally.

Avid Flyer 04-07-2017 09:12 PM

You can tell he didn't write it as even his own name is mispelled.

UDTradition 04-07-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer (Post 502963)
You can tell he didn't write it as even his own name is mispelled.

BTW...you misspelled, mispelled.

Back when you had to have your boss proof your typed documents, he noted that I "mispelled" a word. I handed it back back to him with the same comment (as above) and he was ready to kill me...I suspect that it hurt my career path...but I thought it was funny!

TXFlyerFan 04-07-2017 10:10 PM

Well, I didn't expect to keep them all. I suspect there is still a very outside chance, but if the young man doesn't want to be here, then good luck and on to the next. I sure hope AG gets his staff in place soon though, because there's a lot to be done and you can't do this job alone.

Avid Flyer 04-07-2017 10:28 PM

AG had his first an important assistant in place on Thursday but got overturned by admin. A lot depends on what Archie does. Will he take Ostrom and/or Kuwik.

DallasFlyer 04-07-2017 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer (Post 502969)
AG had his first an important assistant in place on Thursday but got overturned by admin.

Interesting. Donnie?

Avid Flyer 04-07-2017 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 502976)
Interesting. Donnie?

Yes my friends are mixed, some glad someone looking out for the U and other upset that we hired a man of such high character then don't trust his judgement.

Brad S. 04-07-2017 11:34 PM

Release him and thank him for his interest in Dayton University.

DallasFlyer 04-07-2017 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer (Post 502977)
Yes my friends are mixed, some glad someone looking out for the U and other upset that we hired a man of such high character then don't trust his judgement.

Not surprised that he was the guy Grant wanted and not surprised UD's administration nixed it either. But really interesting that it played out that way.

m21eagle45 04-08-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 502981)
Not surprised that he was the guy Grant wanted and not surprised UD's administration nixed it either. But really interesting that it played out that way.

My problem with this is UD would have at least had an idea beforehand that this was a guy AG was going to go after. It is SOP for a new coach to provide a list of potential assistants either during the interview process or immediately after the hire. If UD did not want this assistant they should have nixed it before he was pretty much in place to take the job. Not only does it look bad, but it wasted time AG could have been recruiting or looking for another assistant.

jack72 04-08-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 (Post 503003)
My problem with this is UD would have at least had an idea beforehand that this was a guy AG was going to go after. It is SOP for a new coach to provide a list of potential assistants either during the interview process or immediately after the hire. If UD did not want this assistant they should have nixed it before he was pretty much in place to take the job. Not only does it look bad, but it wasted time AG could have been recruiting or looking for another assistant.

And probably ticked off an already anxious AG.

Everyone deserves a second chance, but then we do not know all the details.

Bucketnight 04-08-2017 11:01 AM

Not that i am optimistic but do we know when AG was to meet with MW in person?

rollo 04-08-2017 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucketnight (Post 503015)
Not that i am optimistic but do we know when AG was to meet with MW in person?

Hopefully never. If McKinley Wrong re-opened his recruiting before meeting with Grant, then he's a high-maintenance spoiled loser not worthy of Grant's time. If that's the case, I hope Grant told him to f*ck himself. I would.

BRob2Perryman3 04-08-2017 11:41 AM

"Dayton University" At that point i don't care how good he is, i'd rather not have him anyway

JimBo 04-08-2017 11:46 AM

I'm kind of done with Wright. I realize kids nowadays sign with coaches rather than the college or university, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. If he wants to play for a certain coach, he can go play for the Indiana Archie Millers. They deserve each other. #TrueTeam all the way, right?

CE80 04-08-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 503017)
Hopefully never. If McKinley Wrong re-opened his recruiting before meeting with Grant, then he's a high-maintenance spoiled loser not worthy of Grant's time. If that's the case, I hope Grant told him to f*ck himself. I would.

That is what I would do too but I hope Coach Grant would be a little more diplomatic than us. :D

Sitdowndigger 04-08-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 503019)
"Dayton University" At that point i don't care how good he is, i'd rather not have him anyway

Not reading into to DU statement made. Dyshawn Pierre said the same thing when he commited. Albeit he's Canadian...
Posted via Mobile Device

rollo 04-08-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sitdowndigger (Post 503024)
Not reading into to DU statement made. Dyshawn Pierre said the same thing when he commited. Albeit he's Canadian...
Posted via Mobile Device

Metric conversions are confusing...Pierre gets a pass.

Sitdowndigger 04-08-2017 11:56 AM

He did kind of come off thinking he's a prophet with his commitment video....a bit much.

That aside, I'd take him back in a heartbeat. Can't blame him for putting feelers out.
Posted via Mobile Device

m21eagle45 04-08-2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 503017)

Good thing you are not a coach...wow! Tell a 17 year old kid to **** off, very mature and moral there rollo. Maybe you should hold yourself to the high standards you hold the team to.