UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
UDPride Discussion Forums

UDPride Discussion Forums (http://www.udpride.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mens Basketball (http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   McKinley Wright (http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30774)

AZFlyer85 04-21-2017 01:09 PM

Sign a pg and tell him to go pound sand.

MNFats 04-21-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 (Post 504691)
Sign a pg and tell him to go pound sand.

I didn't realize it was that easy. I'll just call up AG and have him stop by the PG store on the way home.

Problem solved.

ClaytonFlyerFan 04-21-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 504695)
I didn't realize it was that easy. I'll just call up AG and have him stop by the PG store on the way home.

Problem solved.

Hey, tell AG I have a buy one point guard get one free coupon he can have.

Back up problem solved too!

longtimefan67 04-21-2017 01:45 PM

I suspect there is a highly rated point guard with an eye on Dayton salivating on becoming a 4 year starter (or less ...aka 1+D). I refuse to believe with the recent profile of UD that AG has nobody in the works. If MW passes on Dayton - and that appears to be the case...ou well- his loss. Good luck going anywhere with more opportunity that sits here currently. In AG i trust.
Posted via Mobile Device

MNFats 04-21-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 504697)
I suspect there is a highly rated point guard with an eye on Dayton salivating on becoming a 4 year starter (or less ...aka 1+D). I refuse to believe with the recent profile of UD that AG has nobody in the works. If MW passes on Dayton - and that appears to be the case...ou well- his loss. Good luck going anywhere with more opportunity that sits here currently. In AG i trust.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey - I trust AG too. And if he decides to pass on MW then I'm on board. Problem is that he isn't passing on MW. AG has been quoted saying he is still recruiting MW...which means his other options might be more limited than some of you want to believe.

There is a lot of talk of grad gransfers and highly rated PGs. Aside from Simmons and Waters...who are these PGs everyone is talking about?

BeckysTXA 04-21-2017 02:45 PM

The assistant coaches work went on behind the scenes with very little public knowledge leaking out. I anticipate the same is going on with recruits. I'm confident AG and staff are all over PGs. With 40-50 days left, both sides of this dance are looking at all options. 4 years of solid playing time is HUGE for any player. Wright knows that as does everyone else we are talking to. It's early, but I would expect now that Easter is over, we will see recruits on campus as early as the upcoming weeks. Let's hope some of the recruiting boards start posting where players are making visits. I hate the silence as much as everyone.

FlyingArrow 04-21-2017 03:54 PM

Just because AG is still recruiting MW doesn't mean AG's other targets are more limited. Right now we have NO options. If we had one, he'd already be committed. AG recruiting MW simply means that MW meets AG's bar. AG may well be recruiting (and have a chance at getting) players better than MW. But given the fact that it's spring and we have 0 PGs on the roster, I'd be pretty sure AG will take anyone who meets his bar right now. If MW jumps first, great. But if not, we could wind up with someone better - or maybe not. The risk of striking out on all the targets and having to take someone you'd rather not take just to get any PG at all is too large.

MNFats 04-21-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingArrow (Post 504716)
Just because AG is still recruiting MW doesn't mean AG's other targets are more limited. Right now we have NO options. If we had one, he'd already be committed. AG recruiting MW simply means that MW meets AG's bar. AG may well be recruiting (and have a chance at getting) players better than MW. But given the fact that it's spring and we have 0 PGs on the roster, I'd be pretty sure AG will take anyone who meets his bar right now. If MW jumps first, great. But if not, we could wind up with someone better - or maybe not. The risk of striking out on all the targets and having to take someone you'd rather not take just to get any PG at all is too large.

I feel like we are saying the same thing. Others on the board seem to dismiss MW and say that AG just needs to get a grad transfer and/or higher rated PG. I'm sure he is looking at some of those options(Simmons/Waters), but the fact that he is still looking at MW means those other options not as readily available as some on this board want to believe.

I think we have a shot at Simmons - which would be great. a freshman PG still makes sense as his backup - and if not Waters - I'm still on board with MW (as is AG). The reality is that the freshman PG would be someone lower rated than both.

AZFlyer85 04-21-2017 04:35 PM

Maybe I'm being gloomy Gus, but I will be STUNNED if MW ends up here. He just seems too excited about all of the other attention he is getting.

longtimefan67 04-21-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 (Post 504722)
Maybe I'm being gloomy Gus, but I will be STUNNED if MW ends up here. He just seems too excited about all of the other attention he is getting.

I agree- when JC announced his transfer- my thought was that if ever MW wanted full reigns- that would have been a perfect opportunity. I think he believes he's got a UD ride just sitting there as a last resort. I'd be perfectly fine with someone like Khari Price.
Posted via Mobile Device

FlyingArrow 04-21-2017 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan67 (Post 504725)
I agree- when JC announced his transfer- my thought was that if ever MW wanted full reigns- that would have been a perfect opportunity. I think he believes he's got a UD ride just sitting there as a last resort. I'd be perfectly fine with someone like Khari Price.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd be shocked if he winds up here because he seems to be thinking of UD as a "backup" option (if that). If that's the case, by the time he decides he'd want to come here (if ever), we would have already taken another PG - and probably 2.

AZFlyer85 04-21-2017 07:07 PM

Look at it this way - you've locked down a homecoming date with a 7. Then, due to unforeseen events, 8's and 8 and a halves are available and showing a great deal of interest in you. What would the average 18 year old male do?

shocka43 04-21-2017 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 (Post 504738)
Look at it this way - you've locked down a homecoming date with a 7. Then, due to unforeseen events, 8's and 8 and a halves are available and showing a great deal of interest in you. What would the average 18 year old male do?

Stick with the 7 and get the 10's next Homecoming. They will appreciate you taking the 7 and think it was all gentlemanly.... lol...we are talking basketball...my bad.

BRob2Perryman3 04-22-2017 07:50 AM

Give me the 5 or the 6 everyday over the 9s and 10s.

Every day older i get the more and more true this becomes.

shocka43 04-22-2017 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 504756)

Trying to match your sleep number?

longtimefan67 04-22-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 (Post 504738)

He'd back out of his date with the 7 and start fishing around with the 8.5's all the while giving the "7" some hope.

The 7 would also start looking but to save a little face would leave the door open just in case.

The dad of the 7 girl would tell her to move on, he doesn't deserve the time of day from you and then tell you to pick the "5" guy because he'll take you to the dance!
Posted via Mobile Device

rollo 04-22-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Go 10 or got home! As this picture proves, anything less is too hard to chew.

http://www.nairaland.com/attachments...3a71761d79dd41

kiefaber455 04-22-2017 02:36 PM

Or, as Jimmy Soul said

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life
don't make a pretty woman you wife,
So from my personal point of view
get an ugly girl to marry you.

CE80 04-22-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiefaber455 (Post 504778)
Or, as Jimmy Soul said

So what do you do if you are an ugly guy and the pretty girl wants to marry you because she has the same concerns about marrying a handsome man?

tirebiter 04-22-2017 04:21 PM

"First I Look At The Purse" - J Geils (The Contours)

rollo 04-22-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 504780)
So what do you do if you are an ugly guy and the pretty girl wants to marry you because she has the same concerns about marrying a handsome man?

Clayton? You out there? Please respond...

shocka43 04-22-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 504785)

Clayton out kicked his coverage.

ClaytonFlyerFan 04-22-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 504785)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shocka43 (Post 504786)
Clayton out kicked his coverage.

Ladies and Gentlemen, meet Dumb and Dumber!

For the record, the pretty girl found the stud she was after, and 24 years later she still realizes how lucky a lady she is! :D

BRob2Perryman3 04-22-2017 05:07 PM

I know of a minimum of 2 moderators that are boiling right now i just detoured this thread into an E-harmony thread.......and i love it!!

rollo 04-22-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan (Post 504787)
Ladies and Gentlemen, meet Dumb and Dumber!

For the record, the pretty girl found the stud she was after, and 24 years later she still realizes how lucky a lady she is! :D

Fake news + Alternative facts = Clayton's story

King Rollo the Dumber...OUT!

T-Bone 84 04-23-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Yep. 9's & 10's are too high-maintenance for me. Give me a trouble-free 6 or 7 any day of the week (and twice on Sunday).
Posted via Mobile Device

T-Bone 84 04-23-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeCan (Post 504224)
2017 Class

Aside from Smith, both Al Durham and Clifton Moore also decided to take the plunge for IU once again as they officially rescinded their request for a release from scholarship after separate meetings with Miller.

With the scholarship number situation at a bloated 15 and the roster oversigned by 2, adding more players for the 2017-18 year seems unlikely, unless the trio of James Blackmon Jr., Thomas Bryant, and Robert Johnson all keep their names in the draft. If they do, look for quick action on former 3-star Dayton commit McKinley Wright, who finally was granted his release from scholarship in the wake of Archie Miller’s move from Dayton. While a number of schools are involved with Wright, Minnesota’s Mr. Basketball has expressed some interest in reconnecting with Archie Miller at Indiana. Wright, a 6’0”, 180 lb PG that can be seen below, is ranked #224 overall in the class of 2017.

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2017/4/...-archie-miller

Just wondering: how long did it REALLY take UD to release MWIV from his LOI? A day? 3 hours? That comment about how we "finally" released him from that commitment kinda urinated me off. :angryfire:
Posted via Mobile Device

MNFats 04-23-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 (Post 504865)
Just wondering: how long did it REALLY take UD to release MWIV from his LOI? A day? 3 hours? That comment about how we "finally" released him from that commitment kinda urinated me off. :angryfire:
Posted via Mobile Device

It was a few days. News broke on a Friday and on Monday it was being reported it was official. So there was a weekend in there...but it took a few days.

UDEE79 04-23-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNFats (Post 504873)
It was a few days. News broke on a Friday and on Monday it was being reported it was official. So there was a weekend in there...but it took a few days.

Is releasing someone from their LOI an official thing that is done through the NCAA? If so it probably can only happen during business hours.

UDEE79 04-23-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiefaber455 (Post 504778)
Or, as Jimmy Soul said

If I had a nickel for every woman that found me unattractive,

women would find me attractive.

:eek:

T-Bone 84 04-23-2017 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDEE79 (Post 504878)
Is releasing someone from their LOI an official thing that is done through the NCAA? If so it probably can only happen during business hours.

I would imagine that it needs to be either reported to or cleared through the NCAA. And, if that's the case, then I'd be willing to bet that it happened within 2 business days from when MWIV asked for it to happen. So the "finally" remark is probably just more conceited P5 blather from someone who simply can't conceive why anyone would have any desire to play for UD.

My response? Suck it, pal!
Posted via Mobile Device

tirebiter 04-23-2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UDEE79 (Post 504881)
If I had a nickel for every woman that found me unattractive,

women would find me attractive.

:eek:

"...if the purse is fat/
That's where it's at!"

OSU Flyer 04-25-2017 12:21 AM

Ryan James‏ @RyanJamesMN 5h5 hours ago
More
2017 PG Mckinley Wright (Champlin Park/@adidasD1MN) has added offers from Clemson & Colorado. @Ballislife_025 will visit Colorado this week

Flyer 86 04-25-2017 01:37 PM

Why he'd want to go to Colorado is beyond me. Clemson too. :whiteflag:

Good weed in the Rocky Mountains? :p

AZFlyer85 04-25-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 (Post 505105)
Why he'd want to go to Colorado is beyond me. Clemson too. :whiteflag:

Good weed in the Rocky Mountains? :p

Both programs have put players in the NBA.

BRob2Perryman3 04-26-2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 (Post 505115)

So has Dayton

DallasFlyer 04-26-2017 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 505182)
So has Dayton

Kind of. No one from Dayton has been drafted in decades. I am surs kids would like to see that Dayton puts kids in position to be drafted, and hopefully drafted in the first round where the money is guaranteed.

San Diego Flyer 04-26-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 505184)
Kind of. No one from Dayton has been drafted in decades. I am surs kids would like to see that Dayton puts kids in position to be drafted, and hopefully drafted in the first round where the money is guaranteed.

I hope they are drafted their Senior year. One and done? No thanks. Maybe something in between.

steve 04-26-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 505182)
So has Dayton

Not even close between UD and Colorado just in recent memory.....3 drafted out of UD in 35 plus years versus 13 or so out of Colorado. Does it really matter for a recruit when they think of Buffalo BB? I'd bet not as they can probably only associate one player in Chauncey Billups in the same sentence as NBA let alone with Colorado BB but when a kid goes out there on a visit thru their athletic hall they see many many more pictures of players at least in color getting drafted by Colorado and in the NBA versus UD at least since Brown Street was a prairie.

hawkoooo 04-26-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 (Post 505115)

Clearly you've never been to either. Legal high quality herb is just a fraction of the awesomeness of CO. Clemson is a beautiful area right outside of Greenville in the mountains. USC fans make fun of it being in the middle of nowhere, but that is what makes it great. It is also a very good school.

shocka43 04-26-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 505188)
Clearly you've never been to either. Legal high quality herb is just a fraction of the awesomeness of CO. Clemson is a beautiful area right outside of Greenville in the mountains. USC fans make fun of it being in the middle of nowhere, but that is what makes it great. It is also a very good school.

But I thought that college recruits didn't look at those things...and that Dayton doesn't have an uphill battle with schools like that in terms of what the cities and areas have to offer versus the university...quite fondly getting roasted a few weeks ago for addressing that issue.

CE80 04-26-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkoooo (Post 505188)

It's Colorado rocky mountain high
I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky
Friends around the campfire and everybody's high
Rocky mountain high

Yes, I'm gone to Carolina in my mind
Gone to Carolina in my mind
And I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind
Goin' to Carolina in my mind
Gone, I'm gone, I'm gone
Say nice things about me 'cause I'm gone south now
Got to carry on without me, I'm gone

hawkoooo 04-26-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shocka43 (Post 505192)
But I thought that college recruits didn't look at those things...and that Dayton doesn't have an uphill battle with schools like that in terms of what the cities and areas have to offer versus the university...quite fondly getting roasted a few weeks ago for addressing that issue.

You'd never hear me saying that Shocka. UD is clearly at a disadvantage in terms of geography.

THirt 04-26-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 505186)
I hope they are drafted their Senior year. One and done? No thanks. Maybe something in between.

I'd be ecstatic if we ever had a guy who was good enough to be drafted after his freshman year. Was this post serious?

FWIW, all the recent UD NBA players were Brian Gregory recruits. Nobody recruited by our most recent former coach has made it (though I of course hope Scoochie or any former Flyer makes it).

Andre Roberson played at Colorado, just for one recent example. Even played against the Flyers a few years ago. Anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

San Diego Flyer 04-26-2017 11:09 AM

Are you serious about me being serious? I'm always Xeyrius.:)

I don't want us to be a program that has one good player for one year. That's the Rick Barnes philosophy at Thee University of Texas. Lots of star power year-to-year and nothing much to show for it except those players making obscene amounts of money. Texas = NBADL. Too many years (come to think of it maybe NO years) of no Championships and half full arenas full of apathy.

Not all one-and-dones are lottery picks, first round, second round even. They find out they aren't LaBron or Kevin Durrant.

rollo 04-26-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 505210)
I'm always Xeyrius.:)

Speaking of Xeyrius, I ran into him at the Kettering Chipotle on Monday around 7:30ish. No doubt in my mind that this means he's looking for an apartment in Kettering and will be transferring to Kettering College at KMC in the Fall. They have a very competitive Sunday evening men's basketball league over there! Darn...lost another one. ;)

Sad day...:bang:

King Rollo the CNN Reporter...OUT!

BeckysTXA 04-26-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollo (Post 505215)
Speaking of Xeyrius, I ran into him at the Kettering Chipotle on Monday around 7:30ish. No doubt in my mind that this means he's looking for an apartment in Kettering and will be transferring to Kettering College at KMC in the Fall. They have a very competitive Sunday evening men's basketball league over there! Darn...lost another one. ;)

Sad day...:bang:

King Rollo the CNN Reporter...OUT!

Big fish. Little pond. It's a dream of many.

DallasFlyer 04-26-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 505186)

So if Dayton could get a kid who was good enough to play in the NBA after one year, you'd advocate we just say "no thanks, he's too good?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by THirt (Post 505202)
I'd be ecstatic if we ever had a guy who was good enough to be drafted after his freshman year. Posted via Mobile Device

We all would. It's like saying you wouldn't want to win a million dollars because you wouldn't want to pay the taxes on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 505210)
I don't want us to be a program that has one good player for one year. That's the Rick Barnes philosophy at Thee University of Texas. Lots of star power year-to-year and nothing much to show for it except those players making obscene amounts of money. Texas = NBADL. Too many years (come to think of it maybe NO years) of no Championships and half full arenas full of apathy.

Your complaint is about roster construction. Recruiting only superstars isn't necessarily the best option, though Calipari has clearly made it work. It's helpful to have some four year glue guys, and gym rats who maybe don't have NBA size that you know won't leave early, but taking on a freshman one and done isn't terribly different than say taking on a grad transfer one and done (which we need), save for maturity level.

But Dayton is not Kentucky or Texas.... It's pretty absurd to even think about Dayton just having too many one and done NBA draft picks rolling through here when we haven't ever had one, ya know?

And half arenas full of apathy? That is because football is king in Austin. Dayton doesn't have that problem. And if those Jim O'Brien teams couldn't keep half the arena away, absolutely nothing will. We could suck with good players. Or we could suck with bad players, and UD arena will be at least 2/3 full.

superfan99 04-26-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THirt (Post 505202)
I'd be ecstatic if we ever had a guy who was good enough to be drafted after his freshman year. Was this post serious?

I would be "happy" if we had a guy good enough that he was drafted after his freshman year.

I would be "ecstatic" if we had a guy good enough to be drafted after his freshman year, that still played at UD his sophomore year. :)

OSU Flyer 04-26-2017 12:08 PM

I think the conference makes a difference too, hey come play against UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, USC, etc

UDEE79 04-26-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 505225)
I think the conference makes a difference too, hey come play against UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, USC, etc

This is why a conference upgrade is so important. Your competition is more important than a wonderful location. The list of big time programs in crappy locations is a lot longer than the list of big time programs in crappy conferences.
Posted via Mobile Device

San Diego Flyer 04-26-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 505217)
So if Dayton could get a kid who was good enough to play in the NBA after one year, you'd advocate we just say "no thanks, he's too good?"

Your complaint is about roster construction. Recruiting only superstars isn't necessarily the best option, though Calipari has clearly made it work. It's helpful to have some four year glue guys, and gym rats who maybe don't have NBA size that you know won't leave early, but taking on a freshman one and done isn't terribly different than say taking on a grad transfer one and done (which we need), save for maturity level.

Yes. I would take Dyshawn Pierre for 4 years over Jerrett Allen for one year any day. He is leaving Texas after a pedestrian 13/8 season with moderate assurances that he will be drafted. Of course right now we would kiss the earth for a one and done point guard. But in normal circumstances I would take Scoochie for 4 any day. Now, Chris Paul, that's a whole nother story.

OSU Flyer 04-26-2017 01:23 PM

Allen is projected as a lottery pick on several sites

C-time 04-26-2017 01:36 PM

A lot of where players will go depends on how big of a limb a coach is willing to step out on and go after 4 and 5 star kids. A lot of coaches easily accept their schools position in the hierarchy of college basketball and just go after players they think will commit to them. Others are willing to go after any player and do whatever it takes to get them.

The best example that has occurred recently has been our favorite coach Ray Harper and his successor Rick Stansbury at Western Kentucky. Harper seemed to settle for guys he thought were typical Conference USA 2 and 3 star players. On the other hand Stansbury has gone after 4 and 5 star guys and has the 10th ranked recruiting class in the nation for next year. (This is where the inevitable Stansbury paid them or hired the right assistant coaches(He did!!) line is inserted.) I hope CAG takes the Stansbury path and goes after the 4 and 5 stars and does whatever it takes to get them to UD. If Stansbury can get them to WKU then there is no reason CAG can't get them to UD.

One other WKU note. They have had more players drafted and actually play in the NBA than UD recently. Courtney Lee (who was recruited to WKU by Archie Miller) was drafted with the 22nd pick in 2008 and is still playing in the NBA. He actually started 74 games this year and made 11.2 million. His career earnings are around 38 million and he has 3 more years left on his contract that averages about 12 million a year. Jeremy Evans was drafted in the 2nd round in 2010 and spent 6 years in the NBA(only 6 D-league games ever) before going overseas this year. He won the dunk contest in 2012 and made 8.6 million in the NBA.

If those two guys can go to WKU and get drafted and earn that much NBA money without having to go overseas first or play in the D-league there is no reason UD can't have the same thing happen.

Radar 04-26-2017 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 505254)
A lot of where players will go depends on how big of a limb a coach is willing to step out on and go after 4 and 5 star kids. A lot of coaches easily accept their schools position in the hierarchy of college basketball and just go after players they think will commit to them. Others are willing to go after any player and do whatever it takes to get them.

The best example that has occurred recently has been our favorite coach Ray Harper and his successor Rick Stansbury at Western Kentucky. Harper seemed to settle for guys he thought were typical Conference USA 2 and 3 star players. On the other hand Stansbury has gone after 4 and 5 star guys and has the 10th ranked recruiting class in the nation for next year. (This is where the inevitable Stansbury paid them or hired the right assistant coaches(He did!!) line is inserted.) I hope CAG takes the Stansbury path and goes after the 4 and 5 stars and does whatever it takes to get them to UD. If Stansbury can get them to WKU then there is no reason CAG can't get them to UD.

One other WKU note. They have had more players drafted and actually play in the NBA than UD recently. Courtney Lee (who was recruited to WKU by Archie Miller) was drafted with the 22nd pick in 2008 and is still playing in the NBA. He actually started 74 games this year and made 11.2 million. His career earnings are around 38 million and he has 3 more years left on his contract that averages about 12 million a year. Jeremy Evans was drafted in the 2nd round in 2010 and spent 6 years in the NBA(only 6 D-league games ever) before going overseas this year. He won the dunk contest in 2012 and made 8.6 million in the NBA.

If those two guys can go to WKU and get drafted and earn that much NBA money without having to go overseas first or play in the D-league there is no reason UD can't have the same thing happen.

RE your comment about AG taking the Stansbury path and "doing whatever it takes to get them to UD"...ain't gonna happen nor should it. This isn't WKU. Different philosophy, different culture. No one really knows how the talent of a 16-17 yr old will translate to the D1 college level, let alone the NBA. We don't even know if they'll keep their britches on or their sticky fingers to themselves. Harper and Stansbury are taking the sell-out approach and that's fine...for WKU. They can make their splash and move on. I'll take sustained success any day.

San Diego Flyer 04-26-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 505250)
Allen is projected as a lottery pick on several sites

I watched him some this year. I would still take Pierre for 4 years. No one can keep the NBA from over paying for "potential" talent.

C-time 04-26-2017 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar (Post 505258)
RE your comment about AG taking the Stansbury path and "doing whatever it takes to get them to UD"...ain't gonna happen nor should it. This isn't WKU. Different philosophy, different culture. No one really knows how the talent of a 16-17 yr old will translate to the D1 college level, let alone the NBA. We don't even know if they'll keep their britches on or their sticky fingers to themselves. Harper and Stansbury are taking the sell-out approach and that's fine...for WKU. They can make their splash and move on. I'll take sustained success any day.

Maybe I should have been more clear. Harper didn't do whatever it took to get great players. Instead he simply settled for 2 and 3 star conference USA level players.

Stansbury is the guy who is willing to go after any 4 or 5 star everywhere he has been. He had gotten Mitchell Robinson(Top 10 player/McDonalds All American) to commit to Texas A&M when he was an assistant there. Once he got the WKU job he hired Shammond Williams(Mitchell's godfather) and Mitchell decided to go to Western. It is also often joked/insinuated in basketball circles that he had to pay kids to get them to Mississippi St, but nothing has ever been proven.

I just want CAG to be willing to at least take the chance to go after those 4 and 5 star players. I'm not encouraging cheating, but the UD attitude of wanting to "do it the right way" and proclaiming UD has higher values than other schools is a joke. Just look back at the last 6 years and you can find plenty of stuff UD swept under the rug as long as they possibly could. I'm sure Rollo can give a lengthy outline of all those things if he wanted to.

OSU Flyer 04-26-2017 02:11 PM

Courtney Lee was supposedly a guy Archie got when he was on staff there

C-time 04-26-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer (Post 505263)
Courtney Lee was supposedly a guy Archie got when he was on staff there

That's exactly what I said in my post.

OSU Flyer 04-26-2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 505264)
That's exactly what I said in my post.

sorry missed that

wes 04-26-2017 02:51 PM

Why doesn't Pepperdine have a team in the Final -4 every year . It's campus is in a great place?

MNFats 04-26-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wes (Post 505275)
Why doesn't Pepperdine have a team in the Final -4 every year . It's campus is in a great place?

I hate people sometimes......

Location is a factor. Not the only factor. Playing time is a factor. Not the only factor. Coaching is a factor. Not the only factor. Blah, blah, blah.

And each recruit puts different values on those factors. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to recruiting. Recruiting is an art. You find what is important to that kid and sell them on how your university fits that...which makes the recruiting pitch a little different every time.

San Diego Flyer 04-26-2017 03:15 PM

Right up there with those factors named, MOM is a factor believe it or not.

DallasFlyer 04-26-2017 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 505249)
Yes. I would take Dyshawn Pierre for 4 years over Jerrett Allen for one year any day. He is leaving Texas after a pedestrian 13/8 season with moderate assurances that he will be drafted. Of course right now we would kiss the earth for a one and done point guard. But in normal circumstances I would take Scoochie for 4 any day. Now, Chris Paul, that's a whole nother story.

You would take player x over player y. Sure. It's easy to say as a fan. And no doubt there's lot that goes into it. Character, fit, position. If you had a bunch of guys leaving early, you may look for four year guys specifically. But that's not exactly an issue for Dayton.

Now, take Chris Wright for example but pretend he could handle the ball and had a great three point stroke. Great local kid, wants to come to UD, despite offers from Kentucky and the like. You absolutely take that kid and if he ends up being so good he is a lottery pick after one year, then you say good for him, and you go out there and use it to your advantage to open more recruiting doors. You cannot discount the affect just one lottery pick would have in terms of future recruiting.

CE80 04-26-2017 03:25 PM

I would enjoy participating in a thread in which half of UD Pride was tired of all the one and done's we have been getting and would rather see more 4 year players. The other half not caring how long players stayed in school but wanted to see the repeated NCAA appearances continue.

Lowd&ProUD 04-26-2017 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 505285)
I would enjoy participating in a thread in which half of UD Pride was tired of all the one and done's we have been getting and would rather see more 4 year players. The other half not caring how long players stayed in school but wanted to see the repeated NCAA appearances continue.

Sign me up for that thread and those problems!

DallasFlyer 04-26-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer (Post 505283)
Right up there with those factors named, MOM is a factor believe it or not.

True. And Grant strikes me as someone who might do better with mom than Archie.

jack72 04-26-2017 03:55 PM

Sign me up for the "we have a point guard" discussion.
Posted via Mobile Device

C-time 04-26-2017 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CE80 (Post 505285)

Just venture to any UK message board right now and you can participate in that exact thread. Heck those threads happened even after they won the national title in 2012.

Kentucky boards make our discussions here seem intelligent. Heck UK message boards even make VCU fans sound like community college graduates!

DallasFlyer 04-26-2017 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack72 (Post 505289)
Sign me up for the "we have a point guard" discussion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Day one, page one will be fun at least. By day two and page two, we'll decide he stinks, and because of that, we'll say mean-spirited things, and call each other names.

BRob2Perryman3 04-26-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 505294)
Day one, page one will be fun at least. By day two and page two, we'll decide he stinks, and because of that, we'll say mean-spirited things, and call each other names.

This post summarized the last month on UDPride.

AZFlyer85 04-26-2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 505301)

Yeah, what Brob said

C-time 04-26-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer (Post 505294)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 505301)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 (Post 505302)
Yeah, what Brob said

You are all completely wrong and idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You completely left out the best part of the last month!!!!!!

Ray Harper Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

longtimefan 04-26-2017 07:14 PM

Is there anyone here who would not have taken Luke Kennard even though you knew he would leave early?

C-time 04-26-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longtimefan (Post 505314)
Is there anyone here who would not have taken Luke Kennard even though you knew he would leave early?

:yay:

BRob2Perryman3 04-26-2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-time (Post 505304)
You are all completely wrong and idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You completely left out the best part of the last month!!!!!!

Ray Harper Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not going to lie, the Ray Harper stuff was the best thing to happen on this board since I've joined.

Well that and Detwon Rogers bruise.

C-time 04-26-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 (Post 505320)
Well that and Detwon Rogers bruise.

I still can't believe it hasn't healed yet!!!

lhsgolf19 04-28-2017 01:32 PM

McKinley was committed to Colorado

McKinley Wright IV‏ @kin_wright25 6m6 minutes ago

Blessed to announce my commitment to Colorado University ���������� #GoBuffs #Pac12

MNFats 04-28-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 (Post 505497)
McKinley was committed to Colorado

McKinley Wright IV‏ @kin_wright25 6m6 minutes ago

Blessed to announce my commitment to Colorado University ���������� #GoBuffs #Pac12

Bummer - Not a big surprise - still a bummer.

I know some will be quick with the "don't let the door hit ya on the way out" type comments.

At the end of the day he's a good kid and a good player at a position we need.

Widget 04-28-2017 01:45 PM

I thought it was "University of Colorado"....