Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Absolutely. You make a good point with regard to new contacts. Assuming you poach an assistant elsewhere from the college ranks then you are opening up new recruiting pipelines. And you don’t just lose the work Kane has done. Grant’s staff should be able to keep pounding at those. So that’s definitely a positive.

But I will say regarding the other point you make, a program like Kansas tends to be very selective going after the highest ranked guys whereas a program like Murray State aims to identify late bloomers and guys who should be really highly ranked and they get on guys early. I’m not saying we wouldn’t want to hire an assistant from Kansas or Villanova but in terms of recruiting there’s a ton of value in what an assistant from a lower program with a history of uncovering diamonds in the rough brings. While the Murray State guy has been talking to hundreds of guys and busting his ass to see as many prospects as possible, I feel like the Kansas guy is just working hard on maybe 20 guys, trying to beat out Duke and Kentucky on the recruiting trail. And that’s a tall order. And let’s face it, an even taller order if that assistant is thinking he can land that guy’s commitment at Dayton.
Posted via Mobile Device
Probably a good point on Kansas, but we want exactly the path that Nova took to the top.

What has Murray State accomplished that puts them where we want to be? The last three years they were 26-6,16-17 and 17-14 with one auto bid and first round loss from a weak league. Prior to that Prohm had one NCAA bid in four years. I, and most of us, want better for UD.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (06-15-2018)