Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
For the record I am fine telling a kid you aren't good enough to play here and we are not renewing your basketball scholarship. But we will honor the academic commitment we made and ensure you get similar academic benefits. I don't see much distinction between that and saying you will never play. Either leaves the kid the same choice. Get a UD degree or transfer to play.
Posted via Mobile Device
I thought about this for a day and for the record I am not in favor of pulling the athletic scholarship in this situation. I am okay with pulling it if there is "cause" like an off court incident or not putting in the effort in practice. If the coach is pulling the scholarship, the coach has either failed as a talent evaluator or as a talent developer. That is on the coach not the player. If the coach changes, I expect the new coach to honor the previous coaches commitments. If the player can handle the "walk on type minutes" I am okay with him staying on the team.

Maybe I still have a too much pollyianna in me but I have a distaste for the one and dones at UK and all the changing conference affiliations. Others have said it, who would want to change schools after 2 years? I think there is something to making a commitment to an 18 year old and sticking to it.