Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I know we finished as the number 2 choice for Laura Wincinski because she said that in a newspaper article. And I think one or two others took a long hard look at Dayton. I hate finishing as a bridesmaid, but I also know that several top recruits a year ago didn't even give Dayton the time of day. So we have to look at this as a positive and stay on course. Being on a short list gives you the chance to make your pitch and continued success during the season will get us there to landing top recruits as both high school players for four years at UD and the top transfers for a couple years.

I'll be honest, two years ago I thought our recruiting was way behind the eight ball. I don't feel that way today. Having the 2013 class lined up by the end of March 2012 is sitting in pretty good shape (a year and a half before they are due to arrive on campus). And, one of the 2013 recruits committed a year ago, which is excellent. The program is continuing to move forward and as fans we should all be proud of that. I know we all want to get to the Sweet 16, and would prefer one big step forward, but as long as we continue to take smaller steps forward we will get there.

Most people don't realize, four years ago we had a shot at the Sweet 16 because we drew home-court advantage by hosting the NCAAs and had a beatable quad of teams in Dayton. We got beat in the first round -- but it was there for the taking because of our draw. Compare that to the last two years. We had a shot at the Sweet 16 because of the talent on the court. That's a big difference. I'll take a lucky draw any day I can get it, but long term success comes down to the talent on the court, and that's what UD has had the last 2 years -- one of the best teams in the country. And we will have that again this coming year. Three years in a row were the bar has been raised. When the team makes that list of goals at the beginning of the season, the last one on the list is no longer "Making the NCAA Tournament". This program has added "Making the Second Weekend in the NCAAs" to that list of goals.

This will be the third year in a row we have the talent to make the second weekend. I'm hoping it will be a very charming year.