Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 09:55 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDTradition View Post
Medford - After reading your post 3 or 4 times....I'm trying to figure out where this is going. I'm baffled.

I'm not trying to take a shot at you or embarrass you but why are you prematurely posting a subject like this? It has the flavor of juicy gossip.

I doubt there are many people on this board (including you and I) who understand the intent of this type of business endeavor and might be mislead...we are potentially the blind-judging-the blind.

He's a bright young guy who we all love who us trying to start some sort of business...let's either support him (assume that he has thought this out and wish him luck),,,rather than potentially embarrass him or offering some ominous warning.

Again...I'm not trying to embarrass you...I just would encourage others from piling onto this subject. IMHO... He is one of the greatest Flyers of All-Time...let's give him the benefit of the doubt. If this is a great opportunity then let's support him.................
Embarrass me? How? If you can further educate me, I'm all for that, not really sure how you embarrass me. As I said in my original post, I'm not saying that Scooch is doing anything wrong, and I personally wish him a ton of success in this venture. Same thing for LaVar Ball. However, if not for the fame of his 3 kids, I seriously doubt anyone is going to be paying $50 for a mediocre at best (my opinion) looking t-shirt. They're not ugly, but they are nothing special either (again my opinion).

In Scooch's case, his funds have roughly doubled since I posted hits from around $300 up to $530 (ok, so less than doubled). If this post helped, good for him, if that's just the natural flow of a go fund me page that just opened on Monday, then so be it. I didn't post to either advocate for nor against this venture. As I said, he kind of mentioned it on a pregame interview with Nancy Wilson, about a month before the season ended, and it was likely tapped well before then, so this is clearly something he's been thinking/working behind the scenes for a while. To me, it has the feel of complete legitimacy, however there is a post on his go fund me page that says "this is the least I can do for 4 years of entertainment" and another that says "good luck man, its been fun watching you for 4 years". I see huge potential for NCAA issues cropping up as crowd sourcing grows ever more present.

Reading the article that OSU flyer posted, I find myself agreeing with a lot of what LaVar Ball says. I also find myself seeing that NCAA is going to have to deal with this, or something like this or its going to get out of hand. He has 2 high school age kids that are more or less advertising the brand, what is to stop the next HS phenom from doing the same thing, or his mother/father from doing the same thing? Frankly, why should it be illegal? In my mind, this is clearly an issue for the NCAA; I don't know how big, but I don't see it stopping w/ the Ball family. I doubt Scooch is the first, nor the last graduate of college to start a go fund me page that will raise at least a portion of their funds for their startup b/c they played football or basketball somewhere. I don't personally have a problem with that, but I clearly see why the NCAA needs to think about this kind of thing and what kind of impact it will have as we move forward.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (05-01-2017)