Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: NEW ARTICLE: "From the Swamp": Five-Oh
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 06:13 PM
1st Lieutenant

OregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really nice
Thanks, and more ....

Ahh, University Hall, aka “The Zoo.” I’m also remembering Animal House, but perhaps I’m confusing my time in Eugene, OR (UO) where that was filmed.

I’m told Don Navallo (Guido Sarducci) is a UH alumnus.

I arrived as a naďve kid from south Jersey in 1969. There were kids from other places that talked funny (Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Kentucky). They called rolls buns, and buns rolls, and what I called “soda” they called “pop.” The pizza was horrible, and you couldn’t get a hoagie or a cheesesteak. A hot dog was a “coney island.”

“Henny Penny” delivered Pizza Sunday night when the food service was closed. Guys would order a bunch of pizzas under fictitious names and room numbers. When the truck parked to deliver the first order to a floor, guys would raid the truck. I think they stopped delivering
In December, UD announced a hall decorating contest for Christmas. Guys made midnight runs raiding streets in the better parts of Dayton. Oh, they returned the stuff in a pile later.

The dining hall smelled like cheap grease. The food was horrible; there was a rumor they put saltpeter in it. Milano’s opened sometime that year. My Jersey buds and I were excited to see “submarine sandwiches” on the menu, then we were POed when we got a different version of what we thought was a “hoagie.” The pizza was good, and we actually came to like the Chicago style “hot subs.”

The blue goose runs were often adventures. Weekend late night runs back from campus: guys passed out in the luggage racks puking on guys below, and guys in seats puking on the floor or out the windows. Punishment duty was cleaning the buses the next day. Orvis Campbell. One 7:30 am run to campus a student driver named “Chris” honked his horn at someone at an intersection near the arena. A guy who might have worked at NCR got out of his car with a handgun and went up to the driver’s window and pointed it at Chris. I was right behind him; fortunately he walked away.

I’m surprised you (Swampy & friends) could get back alive after missing the bus. I can’t remember how many times the bus got rocked in the neighborhood near Dunbar HS.

Pickup basketball in the hangar. Make-it-take-it was a new thing.

My freshman class was the first without any ROTC requirement. UD sent a letter over the summer extolling the virtues of ROTC, asking parents to have serious discussions with their sons encouraging them to enroll in ROTC. I did not.

Eventually my roommate and three guys that lived right across the hall rented Dr. Leo Hoersting’s house on Brown and Kiefaber sophomore through senior year. That was a three story house (floor 3 was a 2 bedroom apartment; we had floor 2) with a sign out front that read “Dr. Leo Hoersting/Rectal Diseases.” Just about every weekend a rock went through that sign. Finally “Doc” put a metal screen on it.

We threw one party every term. One of my housemate’s family owned a beer and wine distributorship in Akron. One phone call from Dad got us a keg of Carling regular (not 3.2), no questions asked.
Mad Props to OregonMike For This Totally Excellent Post:
BOF02 (08-26-2018)