User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Tracking RPIs
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 04:20 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,096 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
In looking at Figgies RPI numbers on his site, a few conclusions heading into A10 play:

- Dayton is the only team in the A10 with a chance of an at-large bid. Its a one-bid league unless UD doesn't win the tourney title

- The A10 is REALLY weak this year and this is not going to help UD's RPI numbers over the next 7 weeks. Only three teams are above .500 -- UD, Davidson, and Fordham.

- The A10 has six Top-100 wins combined thus far. That's abysmal. Dayton has FOUR of them.

- Davidson and Sloo are the only teams with a Top-100 SOS alongside Dayton. Davidson hasnt beaten anyone in the Top-100. They are #81 RPI mostly due to factor two right now which is opponent's record. Their competition has done pretty well. Sloo has played the #44 SOS and some real doozies, but they are 1-11 and have been swept like 7 times. Their only win is #275 Central Michigan. Sloo has a proud vball history. I have to imagine their coach is on a short leash. If you were 1-11 at Dayton VB, you'd be packing your bags. Sloo always gets respect in the A10 preseason. When you dont live up to it, you're in trouble. I suspect Sloo will turn it around a bit in the A10 once the competition eases up. Probably top 3-4 contender with Duquesne.

VCU is 4-7 and have lost a ton more matches than they ever lost last year. I still think they are the team to beat however to get the A10 crown. They were picked first in the league, returned a ton of talent, but are wounded animals.

- The Tennessee and Ohio State victories were absolutely critical for us. I dont think we have an at-large chance unless we won those two (both of them). We'd have gone 0-6 against the Power-5 schools on our schedule (Kansas-L, Washington-L, Kentucky-L, Pittsburgh-L). Adding two more Ls and whiffing entirely would have looked very poor to the committee. You HAVE to do something in the non-con to give the committee a reason to put you in rather than keep you out. Simply going 17-1 of whatever in the A10 isn't good enough. Nobody will ultimately care about our injuries and due dates. Going 2-4 is still not ideal, but I think we salvaged enough alongside the Charleston, Miami, and Kennesaw wins to massage those four losses with computer points. And we did lead Kansas and Washington late -- could have easily been Ws. Of course we could have EASILY gone 0-6. So 4-2 or 0-6. We end up 2-4. Considering our ailments I think thats quite commendable. If we had Jamie, Jordan, Amelia, etc, it changes everything in any particular match.

- We can't stumble in the A10. Our RPI and SOS are going to nosedive. First and foremost, we HAVE TO WIN THE A10. This is non-negotiable. To finish second in this weak league this year would look terrible. So get that done. Additionally I think 2 conference losses are the most we can suffer. And we'd then have to reach the A10 finals of course which I think are at VCU this year? In short, we have a LOT of work ahead of us and our margins are not large. Other schools in better leagues are going to help themselves far more of the next 2 months than we will. Dayton is more or less going to do damage control. That's a big difference.

- The non-con SOS and RPI will remain outstanding despite the overall SOS and RPI dropping considerably. If the committee is doing their job, they will recognize we cant control our league and did what the committee wants teams to do - control what they can control and schedule/beat teams in the non-con. We scheduled big-time and we got some decent Ws. Not all of them, but we got a few and other than the Kentucky score none of them look suspect.

- Winning the A10 regular season and tourney title makes everything I just said irrelevant. If we were head and shoulders above the rest of the league in the preseason, it would be a major disappointment to not be that as well over the league season and tourney. We are the team to beat. This is our rodeo to run how we see fit. Handle our business and make Bracket Day a snooze-fest.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-17-2018), Figgie123 (09-17-2018)