Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,412 Times in 2,484 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think it's all about how tall a player is. Athletic ability comes into play. Alaina is 5'10" but very thin. Is quick off her feet. Can jump, but I do not know her approach touch or her block touch. She is clearly better off the approach -- both height and quickness. But in volleyball, a lot of it comes down to what decisions hitters make in the air. Can they read the block and hit the shot that gets through (including tips) and then also, find an open spot on the court. Arm speed is also a factor for velocity.

UD had a player in the past who could jump out of the gym. Had pretty good arm speed. Could crush the ball without a block in front of her, but never developed the knack to make decisions in the air as to what shot could counter the block. Another player, Amanda Cowdrey was very, very good at in-air decisions. Was only 5-10". Had an ok jump, but not great. Had an ok arm speed, but nothing that stood out, etc. Yet she was awesome at in-air decisions.

I mentioned Alaina reminds me a lot of Kray her freshman year. One key difference is Alaina appears to be much stronger than Kray was. Not now, but back when she was a freshman. Kray has done a ton of work in the weight room since she came to UD. I think Alaina is ahead of her in that area. And I'll also add it surprised the heck out of me. Looking at Alaina coming in I thought for sure she would need a redshirt year and a Spring and Summer working in the weight room. Boy have I been surprised.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 12-01-2012 at 03:24 PM..