Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 09:03 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
I wonder how long it will take for the “grass is greener” syndrome and it’s consequences to hit home and the portal entries decline. I think it’s a two-headed monster. There is the player who thinks he’s better than his current coach. He wants a chance to play because he believes he is a super star in the making if he can get minutes. Or he gets upside down with his coach - which happens. Or he finds out he’s not ready for the level he thought he was and wants to move “down” to find a better fit. Or a select few play above their current team and want a chance to compete in a conference with more top level talent. We all understand these guys want to play. It’s a question of risk versus reality and that’s a case-by-case analysis. The second head is the exterior influencers telling a kid he’s not getting a fair shake at his current school for whatever reason. If you could eliminate this factor I think the portal would flatten out at a reasonable level. I’m pretty confident 99% of these people aren’t saying, “ if you don’t get picked up, I’ll pay your tuition to go to XYZ school/program.”

The NCAA has done a pretty good job putting out the recruiting process information for high school kids in all sports. They have to register. They know the grade requirements, etc. Parents have access to information if they need it. We know not everyone follows it, but it’s out there. I would guess the NCAA will need to put out similar info and stats to help players understand the risks of entering the portal once the NCAA has some stats/ history. I just hope they also address the risks in material for these influencers. Everyone has an opinion and many freely expound it without any consequences. When a player no longer has a team to play ball AND no one is paying for his education, that’s life changing and not in a good way.
There is minimal risk of entering the transfer portal. It doesn't make a kid "lose" their scholarship. Scholarships are for one year and renewable annually. Coaches are forcing some of these kids hands when it comes to entering the transfer portal which is likely the case for the majority of kids that do not find another home. Plenty of innocent kids out there.