User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 09:49 PM
(Formerly O'Side Flyer)

Brad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bcross View Post
Scholarships are given out at the discretion of the coach/athletic department, so it's really not an issue to not renew one. There's also plenty of other ways to "open-up" a scholarship spot if they want to. And for the most part, kids don't want to stick around where they aren't wanted.
In my experience, admittedly limited, that's not the case. Unless there is player misconduct, or unless the athlete isn't living up to the conditions of the scholarship (missing practices, violating team rules, etc.) you really can't just take a player off scholarship because you want to or want to give it to someone else. The athlete can appeal to the NCAA and unless the school can show cause, the NCAA will side with the athlete. This is particularly hard to do for counter sports like basketball or women's volleyball, particularly when the scholarships are fully funded.

I realize that the relationship between athlete and school/coach/team would probably be forever poisoned. I also realize there are lots of ways (like perpetually riding the pine) to encourage an athlete to leave. It's not usually worth the pain for a school to try to get rid of an athlete just because.