Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2021, 10:17 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I caught this this am when looking at the schedule again....

The first weekend when KY comes to town, we play them on Friday night at 7 pm in Fredrick. No surprise there. History has shown that Friday nights are the best night to get students packed into Fredrick. Hopefully COVID allows that.

But...very interesting that UD also scheduled TX St vs Cincy at the same time over at UD Arena. Hmmmmm. Two thoughts crossed my mind. First if COVID limits attendance at Fredrick - our preferred venue for this match because it’s a tough-tough place to play when packed, then maybe they move it to UD Arena so they can give fans a chance to see this great match. That’s really smart thinking ahead and doing everything to open this to students and the public as a back up plan.

My 2nd thought is the NCAA use to require schools that hosted the Regional Tournament weekend - this is the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 matches - to have actually played a match in the venue. Back then schools put in bids for the right to host the 2nd weekend. UD won that bid in 2010 and played a match over at AD Arena during the regular season to meet that requirement.

The NCAA no longer does bids for the 1st and 2nd weekends. The host schools are determined by highest seeds left - usually the top 4 seeds. I would bet UD is preparing for the possibility which is exactly what they should be doing. Clearly we hope to host the first weekend. We will know as the season progresses if those matches need to be moved to UD Arena to accommodate fan demand. But the 2nd weekend would have to take place at the Arena if we are in consideration for that event, so great job by Tim and Neil to plan ahead.

Finally, I’m also aware that the visiting teams might have asked to get matches in so they can accommodate travel plans, but I think this is probably a small percentage reason for scheduling a UD Arena match. I think they would simply adjust times of matches and play them all in Fredrick. That’s what they’ve done forever. I’m inclined to think the first two points are more likely and if so, says a lot about what a healthy team this fall might accomplish.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 06-24-2021 at 10:21 AM..