User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: 2018 Schedule
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
2018 Schedule

Coach Balice has said the schedule is going to be the toughest one yet for UD, so let the speculation begin.... I looked back 4 years to see what teams could have been under a home-away contract. There could be some tough matches in this list. There are 4 weeks of pre-conference matches usually in 4 weekend of tournaments with 3 matches each weekend. Sometimes there is a mid- week match thrown in before conference play. Historically the first weekend is against easier opponents. The two middle weekends against the toughest competition and the last week against solid teams. That’s not set in stone, but common. So here are some possible competition if we had a two year contract, in order of the historic scheduling strength formula.

Week 1: In 2016 both Youngstown State and Northwestern played in Dayton. I could see us going to Youngstown State the first weekend. Northwestern hasn’t been very good the last couple years, but anytime you can play a Big 10 team, the conference is so strong most teams’ RPIs hold up if they can finish 50-50.

Weeks 2 & 3: UD usually hosts a tournament during these weeks. Some years we host 2 tournaments pre-conference. In 2016 we traveled to Evansville, so I’d expect to see them in Dayton this year. In 2017 we travelled to Ohio State, Ill St and X. X is an easy mid-week match, so the other 3 could be a solid tournament.

Others: the following teams played in Dayton and I would except UD to travel to at least two of these teams this year or in 2019. In 2014 CSU Bakersfield, in 2015 Baylor, in 2016 Loyola Marymount, and in 2017 Pitt and Ohio. Ohio is an easy mid-week match or the week after the conference tournament. The other four would be excellent matches with Loyola Marymount and Pitt probably the toughest. I believe in 2006, TH scheduled a trip out west. It’s highly probable there will be a California trip this year again. Stanford is also not out of the picture. Their coach is the former Illinois coach who will be in his 2nd year at Stanford.

Random Wish List: we have scrimmaged Michigan the last two years during spring. Would like to see them on the schedule again for two years. I always want Wichita State on the schedule. We will have a sister of a WSU player on our team in 2019, so I think it will happen, just not this year. We should also pursue both Creighton and Northern Iowa. Another couple Big 10 teams that are becoming stronger are Iowa and probably Indiana. And finally, Notre Dame is also recruiting well and a program on the move upward.

Mt greatest wish for this year’s schedule is that it’s released before school is out in May. It took forever last year.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
cralford (03-29-2018)
Advertisement