Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 12:03 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Absolutely. You make a good point with regard to new contacts. Assuming you poach an assistant elsewhere from the college ranks then you are opening up new recruiting pipelines. And you don’t just lose the work Kane has done. Grant’s staff should be able to keep pounding at those. So that’s definitely a positive.

But I will say regarding the other point you make, a program like Kansas tends to be very selective going after the highest ranked guys whereas a program like Murray State aims to identify late bloomers and guys who should be really highly ranked and they get on guys early. I’m not saying we wouldn’t want to hire an assistant from Kansas or Villanova but in terms of recruiting there’s a ton of value in what an assistant from a lower program with a history of uncovering diamonds in the rough brings. While the Murray State guy has been talking to hundreds of guys and busting his ass to see as many prospects as possible, I feel like the Kansas guy is just working hard on maybe 20 guys, trying to beat out Duke and Kentucky on the recruiting trail. And that’s a tall order. And let’s face it, an even taller order if that assistant is thinking he can land that guy’s commitment at Dayton.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is a great point and why I think losing Kane hurts so much. Not only is he the best recruiter on staff, he's also the guy who's had the most experience at recruiting guys at this level. He did very well at evaluating under the radar talent at Murray State. The Racers board when I looked at it loved the guy and said he was responsible for getting many of their stars. We even had a fan come over here and post how much they liked him.

There's real value finding under the radar guys

The other thing I really like him about him was that he had a lot connections in the southeast. That's an area where I think Dayton can make some real headway. There's really not a comparable program to UD in places like Kentucky, Tennessee, Bama, Mississippi, etc. It's the SEC and CUSA level programs
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lowd&ProUD (06-15-2018)