Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Crean vs Archie
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 06:41 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD_Earl View Post
Flyer Fans! Tell me if I'm wrong about this: if we go young (never been a head coach), like we did with Archie, Gregory, and Jim O'Brien - I think they represent each of three possible outcomes.

O'Brien: it turns out really bad.

Gregory: it turns out all right, not great, not bad, A little hot, a little cold, mostly lukewarm.

Miller: really good, bordering on great.

At this point are you willing to take your chances on which result we get?

This is why I prefer Tom Crean. He would definitely cost a lot more than any of these current young assistant coaches that are available. But who would you rather have to talk to the existing recruits and future recruits? I would prefer a household name. Someone who's been to the final four. I think we've earned the right to hire a seasoned, but expensive coach. And don't you believe that he would have a chip on his shoulder every single day, wanting to prove Indiana wrong?
JOB shouldn't be on that list as he was a head coach at Jesuit Walsh (I believe). Don't think he was a bad coach but coming out of the NBA as an assistant to Pinto he didn't have a HS pipeline for recruits. He did beat X in the MVC conference his first year with OP players but couldn't get any really good players of his own.

I'm just not sold on AG, yes he has UD ties but just isn't a wow factor and other than his first stint at VCU he was pretty much a meh factor.

Crean would be interesting in that he could do better at UD than AM will do at IU.

Kuwik knows the players, recruits system and landscape at UD as well as the footprint of the A-10
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD_Earl (03-27-2017)