Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 01:06 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
As far as TV goes, some of these conferences have TV networks, but they are also ones you have to pay extra for, so not all these HS recruits are seeing these games. I live in Raleigh/Durham with three ACC teams. I would say the combined number of TV games between Duke, UNC and NCSt are about the same as the total TV games for UD. Actually we have a decent TV deal with CBSS, NBCS and ESPN's.

I cannot watch a bunch of PAC12, B10, or SEC, except select games. If the B12 has a network, it is not offered here. The ACC has no network. The Big East has many games on, but not sure it is more than UD.

I think conference is the biggest reason kids shy away from UD. Many of these kids know UD, but when they hear the names of schools we play, they say, "who?"

Vandy right now is 8-13, and last in a the SEC, and is rarely on TV, so maybe their coach is cheating.
Vandy - the worst team in the SEC - has 10 games on the ESPN networks. We have 5 (including Charleston). Everything else we have is NBCS, CBSS, or Fox Sports Ohio. I don't think a TV package exists that gets you all of those channels, but not SEC network (which gives you another 16 Vandy games). Especially from a national standpoint where you need to buy the premium sports package to get a regional Fox channel outside your market - you can get SEC Network easier than that.

And our TV schedule is pretty good. As an out of town fan I get 90% of them - which is awesome. I also pay a pretty penny for the sports package to see them. However most teams in the A10 don't get the TV schedule we do - so this is as good as it gets for us as long as the A10 is what it is.

Overall recruiting, we do pretty darn well for being outside the P5. We have great facilities and a rabid fan base - I think that appeals to recruits. But to expect us to regularly recruit with teams from a major conference may be setting unfair expectations.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (01-29-2018), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (01-29-2018), rollo (01-29-2018)