Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 05:37 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udisit19 View Post
George Mason has hired a new head coach after former head coach Jackie Simpson-Kerr resigned in late April after only two years.

Simpson-Kerr Steps Down
http://gomason.com/news/2017/4/24/wo...ead-coach.aspx

The new head coach will be Aylene Ilkson. She spent last year as the Director of Volleyball Operations for UNC.

Aylene Ilkson Named Head Coach
http://gomason.com/news/2017/6/5/ayl...all-coach.aspx

There sure is a lot of head coaching movement this year. Rhode Island, GW, and George Mason all hire new coaches. George Mason has been much worse in there last five years compared to their last 10 years. GM has a 10 yr RPI average of 214.60 but a 5 yr RPI average of 265.20. Just like with GW, we probably will not know the real reason for the resignation, but you would have to believe a part of it is the disappointing place this program is in. Aylene Ilkson inherits a fairly strong defense, but graduates their most potent offensive weapon of 2016, Tiffany Clarke (H% 0.257). Ilkson will need to lead the Patriots during a year where their peers La Salle and Fordham return almost every player from 2016.
I'm in agreement that Mason is probably sliding to the bottom. LaSalle is headed up the ranks and Fordham has shown they too want to improve their program. I haven't seen that push from Mason, but maybe a new coach will turn it around.

As far a VCU is concerned, I'm not a fan f their AD and the coach he brought in. The player turnover in that program is a red flag. I want to believe volleyball is still about the players and not advancing a coaches career. I know it's moving towards a cut-throat business of win or suffer the consequences for coaches. Just hate what that does to players who work hard to get better but get tossed aside if the coach has a better option come along. It is what it is, but I don't have to like it. VCUs coach has tossed out a lot of players.