UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Tracking RPIs

Every Monday or Tuesday of every week this season I’m going to try to update all our opponents’ rpi and post it here. I will be using figgiestats rpi with bonuses. In order of the schedule, here are the ending RPIs from last season:

55 - Dayton

193 - Marshall
120 - Ball State
133 - So Alabama

20 - Kansas
4 - Kentucky
49 - College of Charleston

66 - Miami

8 - Washington
28 - Pittsburgh
42 - Kennesaw State

88 - Tennessee
275 - Evansville
45 - Ohio State

276 - George Mason
237 - George Washington

255 - Davidson
35 - VCU

180 - Duquesne
234 - LaSalle

246 - Fordham
186 - Rhode Island

124 - Cincinnati
157 - Saint Louis

35 - VCU
255 - Davidson

157 - Saint Louis
144 - Xavier

234 - LaSalle
180 - Duquesne

Based on last year, the schedule averages 138.1. We need to get 3 teams in the A10 with RPIs better than 70-80. The bottom of the conference has done a good job of upgrading their programs and schedules. There was just a big drop off after UD and VCU last year. Three in that top tier will help everyone’s rpi. SLU put together a pretty good schedule so I hope they finally get back to fighting for NCAA consideration.

Finally, how exciting is it that Dayton is playing in two of the premier out-of-conference tournaments this year? Those are big time challenges for a team that has a ton of young talent that will need to step up big to help knock someone off.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (08-09-2018), Figgie123 (08-09-2018), rollo (08-09-2018), udisit19 (08-14-2018)
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2018, 12:17 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Pre-season poll out. We have 3 ranked teams and one receiving votes on our schedule.

#5 - KY
#17 - WA
#20 - Pitt

Unofficially #31 - KS receiving 66 votes.

I’ll add these to the teams when I update.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (08-12-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (08-12-2018), UACFlyer (08-12-2018), udisit19 (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Becky for putting together the 2017 RPIs. Dayton has created a great schedule that should challenge this team against some of the best, but still give the team chances to pick up victories against respected teams. Can't believe Dayton gets to play teams like Kansas and Washington on a neutral court. And the weekend with Ohio State and Tennessee coming to Frericks provides really great opportunities for quality wins. That should help to convince more recruits to continue selecting UD.

I think Dayton and VCU will have great years and I think 2 A-10 teams can make the NCAA tournament. VCU has teams like Wichita State, South Carolina, Virginia, and Georgetown visiting Richmond, so they have chances for resume wins too. VCU returns so many quality players they may even surprise N.C. State or Washington State in the first weekend. VCU can pick up where they left off while other teams might need to replace a starter or two.

I'm not sure the A-10 will get that obvious 3rd team yet. SLU has a big hole to fill after the graduation of Lauren Leverenz (MB), one of only two players to play every set for SLU. The Bilikens were a bad blocking team last year and unless they get some Sophomores or Freshman to step up they won't make any gains. Maya Taylor (OH) made a impact as a Freshman outside hitter and Sien Gallop has a great serve, but other than that, SLU has a lot of questions. Juliana Phillip's height alone is promising at 6'4", but she still lags far behind Leverenz's numbers. Julianna Phillips only hit 0.222 while Leverenz hit 0.342 and Phillips had only 0.38 blk/s while Leverenz had 0.75 blk/s. SLU has one freshman middle, Sara Daniels, and two freshman outside hitters, Giovanna Charles and Isabella Walsh. Its very possible they have an impact in their first year, because Maya Taylor did last year when she hit 0.245, but I think SLU's blocking trouble will continue and I expect a fairly predictable attack early on while the young players establish themselves.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:17 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
I like what GW is building mostly because I think they hired a great coach, but also because they got the A-10 tournament win against SLU last year. I think they might beat SLU to an RPI below 100, but it might take some time. GW graduates an effective RS hitter, Kristel Moor (0.180 H%, 0.54 blk/s), middle hitter Emily Newell who only appeared in half the sets, OH hitter Alliyah Davidson (0.181 H%), and 5th year setter previously from Dartmouth Stacey Benton. A lot of players graduate, but that could be a good thing as GW's 2nd-year head coach has a chance to implement her coaching style and insert her own recruits. But I think GW has at least one big player to replace.

GW will struggle to fill Kristel Moor's spot because she was the best all around player leaving. Her numbers were good not great, but her D was as good as her offense. Davidson struggled on D with blocking and serve receive, so her replacement doesn't need to hit 0.180 to be as good or better. Sophmore Right Side hitter Marianna Warren showed flashes of brilliance. She could be the replacement for Moor.

Sophmore Callie Fauntelroy looks like she might be ready to step into a staring Middle role. She only appeared in 37 sets in her freshman year but hit 0.340 and had 0.84 blocks per set. GW also brings in 4 attaching freshman. 1 MH, 2 OH, and one RS. One of the outside hitters brings height at 6'3". With a fairly new coach and only a few obvious choices for starters, I expect a lot of competition on this team. By the end of the year they can make the case for 3rd in the A-10. However, every team except Dayton and VCU have some glaring trouble areas.

If there is one obvious weakness it would have to be serving. GW's serving was poor last year. No player had more than 0.20 aces per set. Setter Jamison Lee had 0.19 sa/s and Kelsey Clark had 0.18 sa/s. The opposing team can get into their offense more often.

Last edited by udisit19; 08-14-2018 at 12:20 PM..
Old 08-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Colonel

Duquesne would have to be a contender for 3rd place in the A-10 too, but they graduate even more than SLU and GW. DUQ graduates a good middle in Abbie Trzeciak and a great all around OH in Molly Davet.

I think DUQ returns some good players too. Camryn Vacera is a great Libero (she can make the case for best in A-10) and Maria Mosbocher was a strong OH as a freshman last year. Duquesne has coaching stability, a returning Junion setter, and a consistently good defense on their side. They should be able to make the A-10 tournament, but at the same time, it feels like this is the most questions they have had at the start of the year in a while.

If I had to guess, I see teams like SLU/DUQ/ and RI all sliding a little bit due to a loss of experience while I see the lower teams like GW/FOR/LAS/DAV and even GM growing due to key players gaining experience. I think DAY and VCU will be extremely competitive at the top while the bottom of the A-10 will be a free for all. Predicting the 5th and 6th slots of the A-10 tournament will be difficult. You can make a case for most teams (GM may need to get lucky to end in 6th place but I think they will improve too), but each team has a serious flaw. Part of me like the progress Fordham has made, but despite their great right side hitter Olivia Fairchild, Fordham has new leadership from a new head coach. Davidson has a great MH in Ellie Crosley, but they are not strong at the OH position. Serving is becoming a strength for La Salle, but they don't have anyone with more than 0.65 blocks per set.

The bottom of the A-10 will see a lot of competing styles, but it should be great competition. I think we would rather see a strong 3rd or 4th team, but I'm not sure we will see that this year. I hope I'm wrong, but we may have to wait one more year while the bottom of the A-10 rebuilds.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by udisit19 View Post
I think Dayton and VCU will have great years and I think 2 A-10 teams can make the NCAA tournament. I'm not sure the A-10 will get that obvious 3rd team yet.
I agree with this. In the 12 years I’ve been following Dayton/A10 Volleyball I think only twice we’ve seen 2 bid years. Several years ago when Sheff was here, he was talking about moving the A10 to a 3 bid conference. I thought at the time that was a reach because you have to be a consistant 2 bid conference first and the A10 hasn’t achieved that yet.

I agree we have a real shot at getting 2 bids this year because we have stronger than usual schedules with most teams. That will help everyone’s rpi and hopefully push the top two teams above that “35ish” rpi line to get one at-large bid plus a third team in the 70-80 range.

It all starts in less than 2 weeks.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:02 PM

The rpi is a little wacky after one week. Several big groups of teams with tied RPIs starting with 43 teams tied at 19 including Dayton. As there is a bigger body of work for everyone it sorts out. None-the-less here it is from figgiestats with bonus:

19 - Dayton

246 - Marshall
78 - Ball State
177 - So Alabama

317 - Kansas. All these teams will be looking to knock off UD in a major upset.
246 - Kentucky. LOL
78 - College of Charleston

78 - Miami

317 - Washington
19 - Pittsburgh
19 - Kennesaw State

19 - Tennessee. Too bad this isn’t this weekend. 4 teams with the same rpi
19 - Evansville
19 - Ohio State

305 - George Mason
305 - George Washington

78 - Davidson
242 - VCU

309 - Duquesne
177 - LaSalle

74 - Fordham
246 - Rhode Island

78 - Cincinnati
246 - Saint Louis

242 - VCU
78 - Davidson

246 - Saint Louis
53 - Xavier

177 - LaSalle
309 - Duquesne

Seriously, KY and KS did not have good first weeks. We have a shot to beat these two if we can continue to improve like we did from start to finish this past weekend.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 08-28-2018 at 08:53 AM..
Old 08-27-2018, 09:06 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Off topic, went to Ky schedule to look for streaming (didn't find anything), but Ky is charging admission to their match with Dayton next weekend, but have free admission for their matches with CofC and Kansas. Did find our game with KY on the sec channel on espn.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 10:55 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Off topic, went to Ky schedule to look for streaming (didn't find anything), but Ky is charging admission to their match with Dayton next weekend, but have free admission for their matches with CofC and Kansas. Did find our game with KY on the sec channel on espn.
Familiar with the SEC channel, but what is the SEC on ESPN?
Old 08-28-2018, 12:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
ESPN.com Watch streams the SEC channel if you have a TV subscription to the SEC channel. SEC on ESPN shows multiple games going on simultaneously, like ESPN Plus is doing for the A10.
Scroll all the down to the bottom of this page to Volleyball and you will see multiple matches listed. http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/?...&type=upcoming
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (08-29-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 11:56 AM

112- Dayton

204 - Marshall -up 40+
212 - Ball State - down 130+ I believe They will bounce back
175 - So Alabama

66 - Kansas - up up 150+ And they will continue to rise
86 - #16 Kentucky up 220+ And they wii continue to rise
148 - College of Charleston - down 70 I believe they will bounce back.

59 - Miami - up 20 - very good scheduling. They will help our rpi.

20- #12 Washington - up almost 200
19 - #13 Pittsburgh - up 9
110 - Kennesaw State - down 90

53 - Tennessee - biggest surprise so far this year for me. They have had 2 down years but starting 6-0 is encouraging.
140 - Evansville
35 - Ohio State

319 - George Mason - we need no a10 in the 300s
270 - George Washington

132 - Davidson
131 - VCU - good example of how your strong opponents can hold up a 1-win team at this point.

185 - Duquesne
261- LaSalle - does NOT include Depaul win

203 - Fordham
280 - Rhode Island

43 - Cincinnati - another surprising start which will help UD
225 - Saint Louis

131 - VCU
132 - Davidson

225 - Saint Louis
253 - Xavier

261 - LaSalle
185 - Duquesne

I think this weekend is the first time UD has ever played 2 ranked teams in the same weekend and we have two Top 15 on the same day. A whole bunch of high-level volleyball on Friday. I hated coming up short on the KS opportunity, but it could dividends on Friday.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 05:05 PM
Colonel

The 319 ranking for George Mason does not include their wins over Penn or Norfolk State. When GM has only played 5 matches, not including 2 will take a big hit. Penn is a decent win. The Ivy League has no sub-300 finishes in recent history and Penn is typically not the worst team in the league. Based on this, I don't think GM is a sub-300 team.

However, their remaining non-con schedule doesn't provide too many more opportunities for wins. They play Youngstown State this weekend at Virginia. GM really needs that one, but Duquesne couldn't win against Youngstown State in Pittsburgh.

GM with only 6 wins finished with a 276 RPI at the end of 2017.
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 05:11 PM

The 319 ranking for George Mason does not include their wins over Penn or Norfolk State. When GM has only played 5 matches, not including 2 will take a big hit. Penn is a decent win. The Ivy League has no sub-300 finishes in recent history and Penn is typically not the worst team in the league. Based on this, I don't think GM is a sub-300 team.

However, their remaining non-con schedule doesn't provide too many more opportunities for wins. They play Youngstown State this weekend at Virginia. GM really needs that one, but Duquesne couldn't win against Youngstown State in Pittsburgh.

GM with only 6 wins finished with a 276 RPI at the end of 2017.
Great info and good news for the conference. There are going to be two teams in the +250 range and strong scheduling should hold the top teams. UD, VCU and SLU have strong OOC schedules so even with losses these teams will help hold up rpis and any wins in the top 100 will help everyone.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:15 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
The 319 ranking for George Mason does not include their wins over Penn or Norfolk State.
I'd like to apologize for that, but it's the NCAA and Turner IT's fault. Once again, they attempt to "improve" things, and they break things. This is the second thing this year they messed up. Scores are not being updated on the daily pages. For instance, tonight's Dayton vs Miami game has already been uploaded to NCAA, and you can see that if you click through to Dayton's team page. But, the NCAA.com and NCAA.org daily scoreboard pages are not update to include ANY scores from today.

It's really aggravating, as a developer myself, not breaking things should be of the utmost importance when making changes. But, you have to have that feeling in your gut as a developer, and not just in it for the paycheck.

What a shame.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:32 AM

Figgie, over the years your rpi has been great at updating several times a day when matches are completed so I figured the LaSalle-Depaul match wasn’t reported somewhere and G Mason is another example. I assumed it was someone else’s programming. Thanks for filling us in and thanks for all your hard work every year.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:41 AM

I know a signature win will help us if we need an at large bid this year, but even losing to KS, KY, WA and Pitt helps our rpi. We entered the weekend at 112. After the loss to WA we jumped to 74. And after Pitt we sit at 58. All these teams will help our rpi this year as will tOSU and others. Two teams that are playing better than I expected are TN and Cincy. Two teams that are under performing are SLU and DUQ. I’ll trade those 4 any day of the week because they play in better conferences. As strong as our schedule is, it appears to be even better than originally thought.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:26 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I bet our SOS is Top20 right now. It's been brutal. The A10 schedule will hurt us but we cant control that portion. I want to play this kind of schedule every year. You dont get better playing softies. Remember, Horsmon made this schedule thinking Jamie was going to be around. Nothing he can do about that.

Overall we dont uave even a remotely bad loss so far and I think Miami, Kennesaw, and Charleston could all win their leagues. Given the injuries too I think we have met realistic expectations.

Yeah that Wash match will keep stinging for a while. Kansas too. But what I REALLY like about this team is after going 0-2 twice in 2 weekends, we didn't let those tough defeats to the top teams beat us twice. Our end of weekend wins were Charleston and Kennesaw to salvage something from the tourneys and both programs should be 20-win teams. In other words, we went to bed, woke up, turned the page, and fought for something that still had much to gain from.

Let's make some better luck this weekend at home.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 09:32 PM

This isn’t figgie’s doing, but I’m beginning to really hate the scores website isn’t updating immediately when matches are finished. I could even live with twice a day, but it seems some results take days to update. Hard to track how it impacts rpi.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:43 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
NCAA has informed me a fix and update will occur early this week. Hopefully nothing major; don't want to rewrite a lot of changes on my side. We will see.

Why the NCAA feels the need to make changes at the beginning of a school year is beyond me. Again, annoyed that fellow IT people feel this is okay.
BeckysTXA (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 10:43 PM
I Am A Statistical God

I've updated a bunch of scores, including UD vs KSU and UD is at RPI 46. Still a good amount of games not reported, though.
BeckysTXA (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 07:52 PM

Smile

40 - Dayton - even going 1-2 the SOS moves us up 70

135 - Marshall -up 65 - this is strong
198 - Ball State - up about 15
221 - So Alabama down 40 but we knew this was the weakest team invited

55 Kansas - up 11 And they will continue to rise
52 - #16 Kentucky up 220+ And they wii continue to rise
76- College of Charleston - up 70 bounce back complete.

123- Miami - up 20 - tough week, but should do well in conference

6 - #12 Washington - TOP 10
2- #13 Pittsburgh - TOP 10
61 - Kennesaw State - up 50 - solid team that should win conf

106 Tennessee - Tough week. Up 7-0 in 5th and lost. Just glad we weren’t their next match.
219 - Evansville - struggling some at 5-4
14 - Ohio State TOP 15 but probably will settle into high 20s low 30s

307- George Mason - up some. They need to win some matches
277 - George Washington

86 - Davidson - up about 50. Nice.
161- VCU - down 30. A10 will help in their wins. They watch WA video and they will be concerned. UD is better right now

224 Duquesne struggling
177- LaSalle - up 90. Nice.

224- Fordham
185 - Rhode Island up95 thank goodness

29- Cincinnati - another surprising start which will help UD TOP 30
225 - Saint Louis

161-VCU
86-Davidson

225 - Saint Louis
247-Xavier

177- LaSalle
256-- Duquesne

I think TN will finish in the 50-60s and tOSU 30s so going 3-0 this weekend is what this team needs to do and are more than capable of coming away primed to tear thru the A10.

I hope we are a little healthier than last weekend, but even with the 10 player rotation and 3 freshmen subs that haven’t played a lot, I’m confident we can go 3-0. Traveling so posting this Mon night. I’ll add. Back rankings next Week.
Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-10-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 10:55 AM
Colonel

I know SLU is having a bad year, but look at Xavier too. Both once near the top of the A-10, now struggling to be above 200.

We should have scheduled Northern Kentucky or Wright State for a late non-con match. Or Marshall a 2nd time.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:59 AM

A10 final non conference week

I didn’t look at opponents already played and the opponents-opponents part of the rpi equation. But solely on who everyone plays this week and current figgie adjusted w/ bonus rpis - here’s the potential for the teams current rpi to go up or down before conference play begins. Also these rpis might have changed a little from above due to games played and updated since I posted above.

85 Davidson - I’m sure their tourney in SC will get cancelled due to hurricane. Expect to stay pretty much the same. I think this is strong for DAV. They have had a very good non-conf.

160 VCU - they have 5 matches in 7 days. 20 SC, 110 VA, 137 VA Tech, 172 James Madison, 263 Toledo. If they lost all 5 I think they stay about the same. 2 or more wins they improve. 4 wins I think they get in the 70-80s. We really need them to start playing better and get under 100.

177 LaSalle - 198 Ball St, 205 Towson, 237 UMBC. They might not beat Ball St. it helps us a little if they do because we play LS twice and BSt only counts once in our rpi calculation. I’d love to see LS finish the year with an rpi around 150. That would be cutting their rpi in half from 3-4 years ago when it was always 300+. It’s a real possibility. This week I don’t see it moving much up or down but they open conference against VCU and DAV and play the current top 3 teams twice.

193 RI - 140 Sacred Heart, 311 Binghamton, 318 NJIT. I think they will go 3-0 but these 3 won’t move their rpi. Previous opponents and their opponents might help them. Looking for something 160 or better from RI before season is over.

223 FORD - 147 Dartmouth, 180 Columbia, 302 St Francis, 328 Manhattan. This too looks like a wash even if they win all 4. A loss to either 300 and they will drop. Need them to finish season better than 200 and they have an opportunity to do that if Fairchild gets healthy. But right now she hasn’t played this year.

230 SLU - 111 UMKC, 145 Murray St, 174 UNLV. I think this is a critical week for SLU. They need to get on some kind of upward track. This schedule was put together for 3 wins before A10 play. They need to find a way to make that happen and forget about how the season has gone so far. I’m planning on watching some. I saw them week one and they really couldn’t do much right in all aspects of the game. Everyone expected SLU to be a 40-60 rpi team. Right now I’d be happy with something around 150. We will see after I watch again this week if I feel that’s even possible. If not I think Miller’s is probably out at SLU and I wonder if they will try to bring Anne back??????

257 DUQ - 62 Houston, 167 E MI, 197 IPFW. Even with 3 losses, rpi gets better. Any wins helps even more plus it improves after playing DAV and VCU in week 1 conference. We need DUQ around 150-170. They have a good weekend and that’s possible. Go Dukes.

276 GW - 168 Memphis, 301 Hampton, 331 Coppin St, 332 AL A&M. Pray the hurricane goes North to DC. ( That’s a joke.) None of this helps the A10. 5 teams in this tourney. 3 in the 300s + GW at 276. All that’s going to do is pull down Memphis’ rpi after they beat everyone. Even if GW goes 4-0 I think their rpi drops and continues to drop with this groups records the rest of the season.

308 G Mason - 94 Redford, 98 No CO, 334 Norfolk St. GM beat Norfolk 3-0 earlier. We need the same. Losses to the other two still help GMs rpi. They should get out of the 300s this weekend as long as they beat Norfolk St.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:04 AM

I know SLU is having a bad year, but look at Xavier too. Both once near the top of the A-10, now struggling to be above 200.

We should have scheduled Northern Kentucky or Wright State for a late non-con match. Or Marshall a 2nd time.
X struggled to rebuild last year too. Not sure how much time they will give Christy to put it back together. This is her 3rd year as HC.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Colonel

The A-10 has everyone except for Rhode Island, Duquesne, and La Salle playing at home. This is a great chance for the A-10 to pick up some wins.

The biggest games are definitely Dayton vs. Tenn and Ohio State, but VCU vs. Virginia Tech, Virginia, and James Madison are pretty important too.

La Salle has an almost road game against UMBC that they can win, but it will be difficult. Fordham should destroy Manhattan, and hopefully destroy St. Francis NY. Fordham vs. Dartmouth in the Bronx could be a good one.

SLU should have a chance in all 3 matches. They really need some wins. UNLV has already beat Duquesne and Fordham. The outcome in this one will say a lot about conference play.

GW has easy matches against Coppin State and AL A&M. GW should beat Hampton. I think GW has a chance against Memphis at home. Build some confidence then get an upset at home.

RI vs. Sacred Heart looks like a chance for an upset. If not, RI might still get two wins.

It would be a shame if Davidson's matches get canceled, because they put together a great schedule for wins and RPI. I don't know if they are anywhere near 85 in RPI, but they will help make the conference look good. I was looking forward to Davidson getting a rematch against Georgia State.

Last edited by udisit19; 09-11-2018 at 12:48 PM..
BeckysTXA (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 09:40 PM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Watched Kennesaw vs Auburn tonight. Kennesaw hosted. Up 2-0, lose 3rd game 28-26 and then get trucked and lose 3-2. Auburn abused them at the net with blocks and dug the living heck out of them. By end of the match it was just sloppy bad vball by Kennesaw.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:52 PM

VCU gets swept by VA Tech. Rpis were about 25 apart but VCU should have been able to compete and it wasn’t that close. 16-18-21.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:04 PM

160 VCU - they have 5 matches in 7 days. NOT ANY MORE. 20 SC - cancelled. 110 VA - cancelled. ,137 VA Tech loss. 172 James Madison still on schedule. 263 Toledo - cancelled.

Even after VA Tech loss, they were 158 on Wed. The loss of SC in their rpi equation hurts. It could be difficult for them to move better than 100 now. Will be interesting to watch. When UD wins the conference this year, it’s still a one-bid conference.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-13-2018 at 09:26 AM..
Old 09-13-2018, 09:38 AM

Davidson, GA State, Presbyterian in Clinton, SC. This is hosted by Presbyterian Who first moved their football game and has now cancelled it. But no word on the vball matches anywhere. Clinton is pretty far inland. And it’s an inside event. Davidson is also inland and close. But I would not want to fly in GA St students today. I lived in Charlotte when Hugo came thru. Snapped huge trees in half like a toothpick. No one should be out on the roads. Not sure what they are thinking. If they were yell-bent on playing this they should bus Davidson and Presbyterian to GA St for the weekend and play Saturday or Sunday. It’s two matches each and that would get the two Carolina teams out of harms way.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:49 AM

LaSalle played 268 Loyola MD on Thursday night and won 3-0. This was a change due to the hurricane. I don’t know if this was only an addition or if a replacement for their Fri-Sat matches. The A10 website is reporting LaSalle at the Campbell tournament is canceled. But the LaSalle website has them scheduled at Towson this weekend for a tournament.

A10 os also reporting Geo Mason tournament is canceled. They picked up a match against Leigh tonight ( Fri). Also reporting VCU tournament is canceled.

Davidson’s match against GA St on Sat is canceled, but the teams are going to play in Clinton, SC on Fri. They play Presbyterian on Friday. Presbyterian is 235 GA St is 280. Davidson is 85 this am. It would have been better if they had punted both, but the worst rpi is canceled so that helps. Right now they only play Presbyterian. I hope everyone is safe staying in SC tonight.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-14-2018 at 10:53 AM..
Old 09-14-2018, 11:04 AM

GW schedule also changed. 168 Memphis and 301 Hampton aren’t coming to DC. Morgan St at 287 is added. And, 312 ALAM and 329 Coppin St are still on but time might have changed. All 3 of these teams are higher rpis than GW at 278. I took the Fri morning rpis for this post which have changed since earlier in the week. Once this weekend plays out everyone who has built schedule website will have a lot of reprogramming and updating to do. Add that to the NCAAs earlier and maybe still current work that caused slow reporting of results.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:14 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
Add that to the NCAAs earlier and maybe still current work that caused slow reporting of results.
Yea, NCAA.org still is only updating once a night, between 2am and 3am EST. Even though teams upload XML's all night long when games are over, the scores are shown on team pages, it just won't show up on daily schedule pages.

I swear Chris R and I could run NCAA.org more cohesively.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-14-2018), Chris R (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Yea, NCAA.org still is only updating once a night, between 2am and 3am EST. Even though teams upload XML's all night long when games are over, the scores are shown on team pages, it just won't show up on daily schedule pages.

I swear Chris R and I could run NCAA.org more cohesively.
+1

It might take until November to get all the schedule changes programmed. It wouldn’t surprise me if there are other changes yet to come. I heard NCAA rpi was being released Oct 1 this year. That’s probably what they were working towards, but now who knows?
Chris R (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 12:51 PM

I looked at Pitts schedule. They are 9-0, one of only a few undefeated teams left. They have College of Charleston and High Point at home this weekend. They will be 11-0 heading into conference play. I don’t see anyone beating them in conference unless they have some injuries and/or illness hit.

If they go undefeated, I think they are a top 4 seed in the tournament.

Anything close to undefeated will be an rpi goldmine for UD.
jack72 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 11:36 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Regular updates to the RPI should be occuring again.

With UD's win against Tennesse, and half of Friday's games complete, UD has moved upto RPI 26.
BeckysTXA (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 08:35 AM

I see Sat am, KY jumped up to mid 30s from mid 50s. The one that surprised me was TN. I thought they would jump up even after losing to us. They are 102 this am. I think they started at 105ish. But it might be teams in their rpi equation chain that aren’t reporting scores yet???

It’s looking like we have a real opportunity to have 3-4 teams in the top 25 rpi and another 4-5 in the Top 26-50 before the season is over.

Sitting at 26 right now is excellent. We have to assume going undefeated in the A10 could still drop our rpi 10 points, maybe more. It will be interesting to see it play out each week.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:04 AM

Davidson vs Presbyterian was finally canceled so Davidson is not playing this weekend. This helps their rpi versus playing teams in the 200s that weren’t going to win many matches this year. Right now Davidson sits around 78 rpi - the best after UD in the A10.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:51 PM
I Am A Statistical God

One day, I will get this posted on figstats.net in a more laid out blog post with the historical data to back it up.

As I mentioned in the Ohio State game thread, UD moved up to 14th with the win. The question is how will that 14 ranking end the season and what it means for NCAA hopes.

In the past few years, almost all teams that have an RPI of 40 or better have made it in. There are a few non-Big 5 edge cases that didn't make it.

With that said, which RPI matters? Well, of course, it is the RPI that is used in the selection committee room, which would be the Monday before the last weekend. And of course, RPI changes alot during the year. But, that's really if your conference schedule is drastically different than your non-conference record. For instance, winning a lot in non-conference, and then losing alot in conference, or vice versa.

Where am I going with this? On the 4th Monday of the year, if a school is in the top 10 in RPI, they have made that selection RPI top 40 the past 3 years. Well, UD is 15 now, so let's look at top 25. If a team is in the Top 25 after the 4th weekend's RPI, they are in the top 40 by selection RPI at a high rate 21/25 in 2015 and 24/25 in 16 and 17. All 25 are in the RPI top 50 in the past 3 years.

So, what does this all mean? It's my prediction that as long as Dayton doesn't self-destruct in conference play, and they happen to not get the tournament title, they will get an NCAA bid. Of course, it's all in the hands of the selection committee.

Figgie
BeckysTXA (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 04:20 AM

In looking at Figgies RPI numbers on his site, a few conclusions heading into A10 play:

- Dayton is the only team in the A10 with a chance of an at-large bid. Its a one-bid league unless UD doesn't win the tourney title

- The A10 is REALLY weak this year and this is not going to help UD's RPI numbers over the next 7 weeks. Only three teams are above .500 -- UD, Davidson, and Fordham.

- The A10 has six Top-100 wins combined thus far. That's abysmal. Dayton has FOUR of them.

- Davidson and Sloo are the only teams with a Top-100 SOS alongside Dayton. Davidson hasnt beaten anyone in the Top-100. They are #81 RPI mostly due to factor two right now which is opponent's record. Their competition has done pretty well. Sloo has played the #44 SOS and some real doozies, but they are 1-11 and have been swept like 7 times. Their only win is #275 Central Michigan. Sloo has a proud vball history. I have to imagine their coach is on a short leash. If you were 1-11 at Dayton VB, you'd be packing your bags. Sloo always gets respect in the A10 preseason. When you dont live up to it, you're in trouble. I suspect Sloo will turn it around a bit in the A10 once the competition eases up. Probably top 3-4 contender with Duquesne.

VCU is 4-7 and have lost a ton more matches than they ever lost last year. I still think they are the team to beat however to get the A10 crown. They were picked first in the league, returned a ton of talent, but are wounded animals.

- The Tennessee and Ohio State victories were absolutely critical for us. I dont think we have an at-large chance unless we won those two (both of them). We'd have gone 0-6 against the Power-5 schools on our schedule (Kansas-L, Washington-L, Kentucky-L, Pittsburgh-L). Adding two more Ls and whiffing entirely would have looked very poor to the committee. You HAVE to do something in the non-con to give the committee a reason to put you in rather than keep you out. Simply going 17-1 of whatever in the A10 isn't good enough. Nobody will ultimately care about our injuries and due dates. Going 2-4 is still not ideal, but I think we salvaged enough alongside the Charleston, Miami, and Kennesaw wins to massage those four losses with computer points. And we did lead Kansas and Washington late -- could have easily been Ws. Of course we could have EASILY gone 0-6. So 4-2 or 0-6. We end up 2-4. Considering our ailments I think thats quite commendable. If we had Jamie, Jordan, Amelia, etc, it changes everything in any particular match.

- We can't stumble in the A10. Our RPI and SOS are going to nosedive. First and foremost, we HAVE TO WIN THE A10. This is non-negotiable. To finish second in this weak league this year would look terrible. So get that done. Additionally I think 2 conference losses are the most we can suffer. And we'd then have to reach the A10 finals of course which I think are at VCU this year? In short, we have a LOT of work ahead of us and our margins are not large. Other schools in better leagues are going to help themselves far more of the next 2 months than we will. Dayton is more or less going to do damage control. That's a big difference.

- The non-con SOS and RPI will remain outstanding despite the overall SOS and RPI dropping considerably. If the committee is doing their job, they will recognize we cant control our league and did what the committee wants teams to do - control what they can control and schedule/beat teams in the non-con. We scheduled big-time and we got some decent Ws. Not all of them, but we got a few and other than the Kentucky score none of them look suspect.

- Winning the A10 regular season and tourney title makes everything I just said irrelevant. If we were head and shoulders above the rest of the league in the preseason, it would be a major disappointment to not be that as well over the league season and tourney. We are the team to beat. This is our rodeo to run how we see fit. Handle our business and make Bracket Day a snooze-fest.

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-17-2018), Figgie123 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 10:54 AM

One of the reasons I started this thread is to look at how scheduling really tough OOC can hold up a team and how it impacts your rpi week to week. I agree with both figgie and Chris above for the most part. But I’m a little more confident our OOC schedule will hold up our rpi. Figgie has looked at the history and noted most Top 40 teams get in somehow. I’ve set the bar more at 33-35 just to be safe.

I expect us to tear thru the A10 even with our current injuries. Building mental fortitude is critical to do that because our team is so young. Senior leadership is critical plus junior Sierra’s development on the Rightside. She expected to be playing MB in college and she is making a huge contribution to the TEAM in agreeing to play outside right now. I have a lot of respect for her and will support her even thru tough matches. We all need to do that, becuase it kind-of yucks having to p,ay out of position.

Finally, even when we go undefeated in the regular season A10, my guess is rpi will drop 10-15 slots. That’s a guess. I have zero historical knowledge to support it except looking at the 2010 team that scheduled MN, ILL and NE and lost all 3, but the rpi held up. This year we have one more loss, but we’ve played a tougher OCC schedule which includes top teams in more conferences that should win a bunch more games now that everyone will start playing conference matches. I’ll go back and post our OOC foes records from 2010 versus this year’s and post that comparison in about two weeks so we can track that too. Again, the reason for this thread...to find out.

So sitting at 15ish right now looks very, very good to me even with 4 losses. I consider this our safety net if something happens in the A10 tournament. We’ve had a key player get injured in set 2 of a tournament match and lost and missed the dance. It can happen, but right now if we take care of business, I think we are sitting in a good spot. Team has to keep working hard and getting better. I can tell you we played better last week up at Pitt. We did not play as well physically this weekend. Where we got better is I think we mentally raised our game. We played bad in several sets, but did not fold mentally. We let it go and kept fighting. I credit our 3 seniors for keeping everyone focused forward on the next point. That’s a critical issue that we need to see more of. It’s something that was missing last year on a team that had a lot of seniors, but I’m not sure it had the leadership it needed.

Back on the road this coming weekend. Two most important words this week are... air conditioning. It’s going to still be mid 80s.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-17-2018 at 10:57 AM..
Old 09-18-2018, 03:12 AM

FWIW Stat: Dayton VB is #15 RPI. All 14 teams ahead of them in the RPI are ranked in the AVCA Top-25. Dayton has no votes in the Top-25. There were a few teams with 1 vote that were not specified so I downloaded the spreadsheet and looked at all the coaching ballots to see if we may have been one of those single-vote teams. Doesnt appear so. So no votes at all.

Horsmon is an AVCA voter but the spreadsheet didnt have his week #4 ballot. So he didn't vote for Dayton.

Its just interesting that every single team RPI 1-14 is ranked (not just getting votes) but team 15 can't even muster a single vote from a single coach. Not saying we're Top-25 material. But you'd think one or two coaches would look at some recent results and throw us a bone. I wouldnt expect Horsmon too. He never seems like one to homer.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:54 AM

I’m not sure Tim is a voter this year. I read that in his bio during preseason and also looked up his vote but he wasn’t on the spreadsheet. I assumed I read into his bio he was a voter this year when it really means he has been a voter in the past. I’m not 100% sure on this because I haven’t looked it up except that once, but it’s my guess he’s not a voter this year.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:41 AM

I changed up the layout a little to show each teams’ history in a snapshot. There is a reason NCAA doesn’t publish rpi for several weeks, so there is more data in the equation. So going forward there wont be as much variance week to week. But it will show how a conference can help teams and hurt teams. Dayton sitting at 15 right now should be good enough to hold up above 35 which is at large bid territory if we need it. After the NCAA rpi is published Oct 1, I’m going to put out a comparison between the final 2010 schedule rpis vs this year’s. Initially I thought this was the toughest schedule UD has ever put together. After a quick look, I was wrong on that. I remembered playing at MN and NE, but I forgot we played ILL that year and we beat UNI at MN. I remembered that victory, I just forgot UNI had a top 10 rpi. And the A10 was stronger that year. So right now we are behind 2010, but I’ll post the comparison.

Dayton - 55-19-112-40-14. Good news is we have the worst two rpi teams in the A10 this weekend, so we get the biggest hit out of the way early and we play each team only once. We need the strong rpi teams we’ve already played to WIN and keep winning.

Marshall - 193-246-204-135-178
Ball State - 120-78-212-198-148
So AL - 133-177-175-221-133. Nice rebound. Would like to see them stay above 150

Kansas - 20-317-66-55-42. Need to stay above 50
#20 Kentucky - 4-246-86-52-33. I think they will be back in Top 25 before it’s over.
College of Charleston - 49-78-148-76-65. Hoping they get above 50

Miami - 66-78-59-123-135. Top 100 finish is possible.

#13 Washington - 8-317-20-6-6. TOP 10
#9 Pittsburgh - 28-19-19-2-5. TOP 10
Kennesaw State - 42-19-110-61-70. Top 50 possible. Should win their conference.

RV Tennessee - 88-19-53-106-72. Hoping for top 50 finish.
Evansville - 275-19-140-219-198. Hoping for top 150 finish.
Ohio State - 45-19-35-24-34. Big10 will help them even with losses. Expecting Top 25 finish.

George Mason - 276-305-319-307-310. I think they only play the top 3 A10 teams once, so not sure they get out of 300, but I’m hoping for something better than 280.
George Washington - 237-305-270-277-258.

Davidson - 255-78-132-86-81. God Bless Davidson!
VCU - 35-242-131-161-173.

Duquesne - 180-309-185-224-211.
LaSalle - 234-177-261-177-229.

Fordham - 246-74-203-224-210.
Rhode Island - 186-246-280-185-199.

RV Cincinnati - 124-78-43-29-61. Needs to bounce back in conference after weak foe weekend.
Saint Louis - 157-246-225-225-249. They should get 2 wins this weekend against GW-GM. If not, Miller might be out on Monday.

VCU - 35-242-131-161-173
Davidson - 255-78-132-86-81

Saint Louis - 157-246-225-225-249
Xavier - 144-53-253-247-232

LaSalle - 234-177-261-177-229
Duquesne - 180-309-185-256-211
Old 09-18-2018, 09:44 AM

I didn’t underline anything, but it looks like I did. Mysteries of the Internet. LOL
Old 09-18-2018, 09:53 AM
Lieutenant General

Those names are underlined because this site has a link to their websites.

Excuse my ignorance, can someone explain why Tennessee and Cincinnati have "RV" before the names? I have tried to google for an answer and couldn't come up with anything.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:00 AM

Sorry. RV = Receiving Votes in the avca poll this week. Not ranked in the top 25 of the poll, but got votes. Another “issue” with poll - UD beats TN but they are still RVs and UD got zilch. I think votes are going to be shocked when the NCAA rpi comes out how strong UDs schedule has been. Of course GW and GM will be in that calculation by then.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-18-2018 at 10:03 AM..
Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Lieutenant General

Thank you. It was on our schedule page too and has been driving me crazy trying to figure it out!
Old 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM
Colonel

I can't believe how high Davidson's RPI is right now. They did pick up a lot of wins, but only their victory against Charlotte looks really good. I think Davidson will lose some matches in the A-10 to teams other than Dayton and VCU. It will still help the conference by pulling up some of the other teams. Davidson hosts Duquesne and La Salle this weekend. Those will be big matches to decide who makes the A-10 tournament.

The Massey Ratings for women's college volleyball have La Salle at 222 and Duquesne at 248 with Fordham and GW in between them at 229 and 243 respectively. That the A-10's 5th through 8th teams really really close to each other. The competition in this group for those last 5 spots will be strong. SLU is currently below GW. I'm not sure how confident I am in SLUs rating because they simply have not played that many teams close to them. SLU plays GW right out of the gate. That will be a huge indicator to find out where SLU is.
BeckysTXA (09-18-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 07:37 AM

Good news...its Wed morning and VCUs rpi rose from 173 to 129. They beat James Madison in 5 on Monday. ( Not impressive, but well take it.) JMs current rpi is in the 160s. A win never hurts, but the rise probably came from some success from teams they’ve already played. And their schedule OOC schedule was pretty strong. My guess is slow updates on scores.

At 129 headed into the A10 gives VCU a chance to finish in the top 100. It will help the conference if both VCU and Davidson can do that.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:02 AM

Duquesne and LaSalle travel to Davidson this weekend. I assume they fly into Charlotte. I looked up flooding issues. Charlotte was suppose to crest Monday and Davidson today (Wed). Should not affect these two matches.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:12 PM
Colonel

VCU's win over JMU was pretty good. Here is a look at the Massey Rating resumes for Dayton and VCU.

Dayton:

H against #38 Tennessee
H against #45 Ohio State
N against #72 Kennesaw
N against #76 Col. of Char.
H against #101 Ball State
H against #103 Miami OH

Dayton's losses are: @#6 Pitt, #11 Washington, @#21 Kentucky, #42 Kansas

VCU:

N against #60 Oklahoma
H against #91 James Madison
R against #143 Southern Miss.

VCU's losses are: #6 Pitt, #22 Wash. St., home vs. #54 Wich. St., @ #62 NC State, @ #70 Florida St., @ #117 Virginia Tech, and @ #202 Seton Hall.

VCU definitely played some tough road matches, so I see why they may not have the same quantity of wins. But Dayton doesn't have any bad loses. The Seton Hall loss really jumps out as a huge disappointment. Maybe it was still a hangover from a tough loss to Wichita State at home. The Oklahoma match looks pretty good. Its a neutral victory against a team just outside of the top 50. Its kinda similar to Dayton's wins against CoC and Kennesaw.

Based on the non-con results. I think Dayton is the favorite to win the regular season and the tournament. But that doesn't mean Dayton won't still have a tough road match against VCU. With the tournament at VCU and Dayton's injuries, still a long way to go.

I hope we continue to see Sierra Pla improve that slide attack. She will need to be able to keep opposing blockers honest and be able to score consistently from the right pin. I'm also very encouraged by our serving. Dayton's serving was awful the first weekend, but it was one of our strength in the 4th weekend. Dayton got big aces. There's no way the Flyers win if they weren't able to get Ohio State out of system. The Buckeye hitters were too good in system, but Dayton's serve helped win sets 4 and 5. It came up big against Tennessee too.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:31 PM
Colonel

Best wins not from Dayton or VCU (based on Massey Ratings - https://www.masseyratings.com/cvol/ncaa-d1/ratings):

Duquesne at home against #198 Bowling Green
Davidson at home against #223 Charlotte
Duquesne Neutral against #240 Eastern Mich.
Rhode Island neutral against #238 Columbia
Rhode Island home against #284 New Hampshire
Fordham at home against #289 Dartmouth
GW on the road against #291 LIU Brooklyn
Fordham at home against #292 Bryant
Rhode Island at home against #297 Army

I think Massey tried to include Division II and II schools too, so the numbers don't match up with RPI at all. However, its still a good representation of which teams have the best wins.

Duquesne and Rhode look like they have the highest ceiling from the remaining teams with Fordham slightly behind them. GW is the only team to have a road win in this list. We may not have seen the best from GW yet. La Salle overall has a good resume. Massey Ratings currently have La Salle higher than Fordham and GW. No bad loses, but no huge wins.

Last edited by udisit19; 09-19-2018 at 04:33 PM..
Old 09-21-2018, 05:34 PM

It’s Friday afternoon around 5:30pm. Dayton has been at #13 on figstats all day. Looking at who is ahead of us I can’t imagine being able to get much higher. But based on our OOC schedule, we have a lot of teams that are going to win a lot of matches in conference play. Your opponent win percentage is the heaviest part of the equation, carrying 50% weight. Your win-loss is 25% and your opponents- opponents win-loss percentage is 25%.

There are also some bonuses and penalties, but Right now, I don’t see any penalties for UD. We will pick up some bonuses. There will be a little difference between figstats and NCAA rpi, but not much. We have to tear through the A10 plus beat Cincy and X, but right now we are sitting very well. We should be rooting for Davidson. They are sitting at 83. VCU is around 130. VCUs schedule is better, but I don’t know if they can get above 50. Davidson has a chance if they finish second in the a10. It will be 8nteresting to watch it play out.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:20 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
There will be a little difference between figstats and NCAA rpi, but not much.
There better not be. I've done my best to be able to match NCAA exactly.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-22-2018), jack72 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 04:02 PM

Friday afternoon UD had the 7th toughest SOS. After playing GM, it’s dropped to 17th. Welcome to the A10.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:49 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Whoa nellie. tosu wins over PSU 3-1.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-23-2018), Chris R (09-24-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-23-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 03:01 PM

Dayton - 55-19-112-40-14-18. I was hoping we would be able to stay out of the 20s after playing two high rpi teams. We accomplished that with our tough SOS. It was also good to see 6 of our opponents in the top 50. We are 1-3 against Top 25. 1-1 against Top 26-50. That equals 2-4 against Top 50. Our average rpi loss was 17 last week. It’s 16 this week. Plus our schedule average rpi moved from 147.4 last week up to 144.3 this week. Our schedule and rpi are looking solid. However, We do have to play much better this coming weekend.

Marshall - 193-246-204-135-178-193
Ball State - 120-78-212-198-148-162
So AL - 133-177-175-221-133-175

Kansas - 20-317-66-55-42-38
#19Kentucky - 4-246-86-52-33-14
College of Charleston - 49-78-148-76-65-47

Miami - 66-78-59-123-135-92

#13 Washington - 8-317-20-6-6-8
#8 Pittsburgh - 28-19-19-2-5-5
Kennesaw State - 42-19-110-61-70-89

Tennessee - 88-19-53-106-72-70
Evansville - 275-19-140-219-198-206
RV Ohio State - 45-19-35-24-34-24

George Mason - 276-305-319-307-310-291
George Washington - 237-305-270-277-258-226

Davidson - 255-78-132-86-81-111
VCU - 35-242-131-161-173-109

Duquesne - 180-309-185-224-211-233
LaSalle - 234-177-261-177-229-222

Fordham - 246-74-203-224-210-187
Rhode Island - 186-246-280-185-199-213

RV Cincinnati - 124-78-43-29-61-49
Saint Louis - 157-246-225-225-249-273 very likely the weakest A10 team. This does not help us because we play them twice.

VCU - 35-242-131-161-173-109
Davidson - 255-78-132-86-81-111

Saint Louis - 157-246-225-225-249-273
Xavier - 144-53-253-247-232-199 hoping Big East can pull them above 150

LaSalle - 234-177-261-177-229-222
Duquesne - 180-309-185-256-211-233
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-24-2018), udisit19 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 04:24 PM
Colonel

Gotta love that Ohio State is just barely in the top 25, College of Charleston is a few spots within the top 50, and Miami of Ohio within the top 100.

Cincy is at 49 too. Its a shame the A-10 schedule is so weak. Dayton isn't going to get much credit for beating VCU or Davidson if they stay outside the top 100. And they definitely won't get any respect for beating any of the other A-10 teams.

On the other hand, the bubble is pretty week. Lots of teams are receiving votes in the rankings, because after the top 15, its a free for all. If Dayton can simply avoid losses, they will look pretty good. Ohio State is looking like a nice win. Tennessee has some work to do, but their next 3 matches are all at home against Missouri, Arkansas, and Alabama. I'm kinda surprised Tenn is so low.
BeckysTXA (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 05:50 PM

I'm kinda surprised Tenn is so low.
A little history on TN. They had a long-time coach who had some great years. Well respected program. Then something happened inside the program. I have no info on fault, but a lot of players started transferring out of the program. This resulted in the program falling on hard times the last 2-3 years. That coach retired last year and they have a new HC this year.

Based on that I think they scheduled a little soft early in this year to help get their feet under themselves. I think they are better than they thought they would be at this point and I expect them to continue to win a lot of matches this year. I think their conference performance will help their rpi a lot. I’m hoping they can get above 50, but not sure they will make the NCAAs in this transition year. It will be good if we have a two year contract with them and go to TN sometime in the next two years because I think they will be strong.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 AM
Colonel

The SEC seems stronger than it normally is. Normally Kentucky and Florida are good, but Alabama is receiving votes and other teams like South Carolina, Missouri, Georgia, and Auburn are all within the figstats top 50 right now. There is only one bad team dragging the whole conference down. Mississippi state is at 253 right now, but everyone else is in the top 100. Tennessee has every opportunity to raise their RPI.
BeckysTXA (09-25-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 02:31 PM

UDs rpi sits at 18 and SLUs sits at 285. Davidson and VCU sit in low 100s. When they both beat SLU and both should loose to Dayton, I don’t think either’s rpi will move up or down much.

UDs however would probably drop after two wins because our equation will now have SLUs results in it. However, we have a lot of teams we have played that should rack up wins this weekend against good teams. Hard to say, which is why I’m tracking rpi week to week so we can learn, I’d say even tho we are playing the best of the A10, we probably stay about the same because of SLU in the mix. Of course if anyone beats us this weekend we probably drop close to a 30 rpi.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:18 PM

Ohio State beating Penn St. Last week will go a long way for their at large chances. They recently lost to IU but IU is probably at large quality so not a bad loss even at home.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:32 PM

TN upsets figstats rpi #27 Missouri in 5 sets. TN was around 68. This is a great win for UD. Hoping TN can finish in top 50 rpi.
Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 10:55 PM

TN jumps up to 52 after the big win.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:48 PM

LaSalle is sitting at 196 on Sunday afternoon. I’ve been following A10 vball since 2006. It’s the first time ever LaSalle’s rpi has been in the 100s. We will see how it holds up for the year and with the NCAA rpi, but it looks promising. I’ve said it before, when they hired their current coach (and I’m assuming the rumor about fully funding scholarships is true), she’s done a great job of getting some quality recruits every year and building a solid program
Old 10-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Holy Toledo, it’s Friday already and I haven’t gotten this post done this week. I’m staying with figstats rpi even tho the NCAA is out.

Dayton - 55-19-112-40-14-18-28. Good news even with the loss to VCU we stayed out of the 30s. Plus 7 teams on our schedule are top 50 and we are 2-4 against those with Cincy left to play and Colllege of Charleston knocking on the door at #56. We have a chance to be 4-4 against Top 50.

Marshall - 193-246-204-135-178-193-194
Ball State - 120-78-212-198-148-162-131. Nice jump up.
So AL - 133-177-175-221-133-175-200.

Kansas - 20-317-66-55-42-38-34
#18 Kentucky - 4-246-86-52-33-14-9. Back where coaches thought they would be this year.
College of Charleston - 49-78-148-76-65-47-56. They are winning, it just depends on who they are playing. UD loss alsodidnt help them.

Miami - 66-78-59-123-135-92-105

#15 Washington - 8-317-20-6-6-8-10
#8 Pittsburgh - 28-19-19-2-5-5-5
Kennesaw State - 42-19-110-61-70-89-79

RV Tennessee - 88-19-53-106-72-70-48. One of biggest surprises this year.
Evansville - 275-19-140-219-198-206-202.
Ohio State - 45-19-35-24-34-24-37.

George Mason - 276-305-319-307-310-291-287
George Washington - 237-305-270-277-258-226-227

Davidson - 255-78-132-86-81-111-146
VCU - 35-242-131-161-173-109-90

Duquesne - 180-309-185-224-211-233-243
LaSalle - 234-177-261-177-229-222-186

Fordham - 246-74-203-224-210-187-220
Rhode Island - 186-246-280-185-199-213-208

RV Cincinnati - 124-78-43-29-61-49-49
Saint Louis - 157-246-225-225-249-273-270

VCU - 35-242-131-161-173-109-90
Davidson - 255-78-132-86-81-111-146

Saint Louis - 157-246-225-225-249-273-270
Xavier - 144-53-253-247-232-199-177. Looking for top 150

LaSalle - 234-177-261-177-229-222-186
Duquesne - 180-309-185-256-211-233-243

We need to not only go 2-0 this weekend, but sweep both these teams with ease. A win is a win for rpi. But two sweeps sends a statement that we will challenge VCU. Plus set wins factor into seeds at A10 tournament time for tie breakers and we have already dropped sets we should have won. It’s time for the team to start looking at the bigger picture of what needs to be done in these A10 matches. Plus if we don’t show up mentally, either of these teams can beat us. Jill loiars is a Assistant at Duquesne.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 10-05-2018 at 01:45 PM..
Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-05-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 09:56 AM

Dayton - 55-19-112-40-14-18-28-26. Good week on the road taking care of business with two sweeps. Well need to do the same this weekend. And it looks like two third year players finally got healthy and can help our starting rotation. We need better consistency, better focus and less errors. This will be a good weekend to test all three of those.

Marshall - 193-246-204-135-178-193-194-198
Ball State - 120-78-212-198-148-162-131-112. Still moving up.
So AL - 133-177-175-221-133-175-200-203

RV Kansas - 20-317-66-55-42-38-34-25. Big jump for being this high.
#16 Kentucky - 4-246-86-52-33-14-9-13
College of Charleston - 49-78-148-76-65-47-56-74.

Miami - 66-78-59-123-135-92-105-93

#18 Washington - 8-317-20-6-6-8-10-11
#6 Pittsburgh - 28-19-19-2-5-5-5-4
Kennesaw State - 42-19-110-61-70-89-79-71

RV Tennessee - 88-19-53-106-72-70-48-46
Evansville - 275-19-140-219-198-206-202-208
Ohio State - 45-19-35-24-34-24-37-45. Interesting TN and Cincy RVs, but not tOSU and UD for that matter. At this point I like UD flying under the radar while we get healthy.

George Mason - 276-305-319-307-310-291-287-243
George Washington - 237-305-270-277-258-226-227-217

Davidson - 255-78-132-86-81-111-146-174
VCU - 35-242-131-161-173-109-90-81. Can they get in the top 50?

Duquesne - 180-309-185-224-211-233-243-238
LaSalle - 234-177-261-177-229-222-186-190

Fordham - 246-74-203-224-210-187-220-219
Rhode Island - 186-246-280-185-199-213-208-237

RV Cincinnati - 124-78-43-29-61-49-49-43. This will be a HUGE match next week -midweek. We need this win over a top 50 team and as a tune up for VCU. Will also need a HUGE crowd. Plan to attend.
Saint Louis - 157-246-225-225-249-273-270-273

VCU - 35-242-131-161-173-109-90-81
Davidson - 255-78-132-86-81-111-146-174

Saint Louis - 157-246-225-225-249-273-270-273
Xavier - 144-53-253-247-232-199-177-171

LaSalle - 234-177-261-177-229-222-186-190
Duquesne - 180-309-185-256-211-233-243-238
Old 10-11-2018, 01:24 PM

Kansas beat #3 Texas last night.

BeckysTXA (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 02:39 PM

Ohio State got a much-needed and big win with a sweep over 15-4 Michigan State.

BeckysTXA (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 03:50 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Ohio State moves up 8 spots, while Michigan State drops 8 spots.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:36 PM

ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Cincinnati (RPI 38) beats Wichita (RPI 29) in 5 sets. Monster match against the Bearcats Wednesday evening at Frericks.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (10-14-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=BeckysTXA;559366]Dayton - 55-19-112-40-14-18-28-26-26. The handful of big wins noted above by teams we have played helped offset our two matches against 200-rpi teams this week. Plus Pitt is undefeated at 20-0. I don’t see them losing before the NCAAs. And teams like KY and KS are playing well and winning. 2 big matches and 6 take care of business matches left for UD starting with Cincy Wed. You want a top 50 match this time of year and you don’t always get one in the A10. Time to rise up and play at a very high level. We have the talent even with players out. But everyone needs to play well. This is the type of match that defines a program. We’ve already beaten Miami and tOSU. Need to finish the Ohio championship for 2018 with wins over Cincy and X.

Marshall - 193-246-204-135-178-193-194-198-194
Ball State - 120-78-212-198-148-162-131-112-108
So AL - 133-177-175-221-133-175-200-203-199

#22 Kansas - 20-317-66-55-42-38-34-25-19. Big surprise this year. Top 25!
#15 Kentucky - 4-246-86-52-33-14-9-13-9. Back where people thought they would be this year.
College of Charleston - 49-78-148-76-65-47-56-74-70.

Miami - 66-78-59-123-135-92-105-93-90.

#19 Washington - 8-317-20-6-6-8-10-11-15
#6 Pittsburgh - 28-19-19-2-5-5-5-4-4
Kennesaw State - 42-19-110-61-70-89-79-71-80

RV Tennessee - 88-19-53-106-72-70-48-46-44
Evansville - 275-19-140-219-198-206-202-208-213
Ohio State - 45-19-35-24-34-24-37-45-37. Still not RVs but working their way back into at-large bid territory. Need another big win.

George Mason - 276-305-319-307-310-291-287-243-250
George Washington - 237-305-270-277-258-226-227-217-230

Davidson - 255-78-132-86-81-111-146-174-155
VCU - 35-242-131-161-173-109-90-81-79

Duquesne - 180-309-185-224-211-233-243-238-214
LaSalle - 234-177-261-177-229-222-186-190-191

Fordham - 246-74-203-224-210-187-220-219-244
Rhode Island - 186-246-280-185-199-213-208-237-257

RV Cincinnati - 124-78-43-29-61-49-49-43-36. HUGE showdown Wed. Top 50 win on the line.
Saint Louis - 157-246-225-225-249-273-270-273-255

VCU - 35-242-131-161-173-109-90-81-79
Davidson - 255-78-132-86-81-111-146-174-155

Saint Louis - 157-246-225-225-249-273-270-273-255
Xavier - 144-53-253-247-232-199-177-171-192

LaSalle - 234-177-261-177-229-222-186-190-191
Duquesne - 180-309-185-256-211-233-243-238-214
Old 10-23-2018, 10:50 PM

Nebraska has lost 3 in a row. Not sure that has happened in the last two decades. And 4 of the last 5. They play tOSU on Wed night at tOSU. I’m pulling for the Buckeyes to help our rpi, but the Huskers will be on a tear to get a win so it doesn’t look good. But when I post I expect a team to win, it does increase their odds of losing, so hears my two cents...I’d expect NE to win.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:46 PM

Dayton - 55-19-112-40-14-18-28-26-26-34. In bubble territory right now. I don’t think we can drop too much more and still get an at-large bid. Maybe 36-37 because we have a strong strength of schedule. We could end up with basically the same W-L results as last year and get a bid because of SOS. Lesson learned will be schedule as tough as you can....always. Just need to win them all to get to A10 champ match and take one more swing at VCU.

Marshall - 193-246-204-135-178-193-194-198-194-200
Ball State - 120-78-212-198-148-162-131-112-108-88
So AL - 133-177-175-221-133-175-200-203-199-181

#22 Kansas - 20-317-66-55-42-38-34-25-19-30
#15 Kentucky - 4-246-86-52-33-14-9-13-9-8
College of Charleston - 49-78-148-76-65-47-56-74-70-63

Miami - 66-78-59-123-135-92-105-93-90-64

#19 Washington - 8-317-20-6-6-8-10-11-15-25
#6 Pittsburgh - 28-19-19-2-5-5-5-4-4-9
Kennesaw State - 42-19-110-61-70-89-79-71-80-87

RV Tennessee - 88-19-53-106-72-70-48-46-44-32
Evansville - 275-19-140-219-198-206-202-208-213-225
Ohio State - 45-19-35-24-34-24-37-45-37-61

George Mason - 276-305-319-307-310-291-287-243-250-238
George Washington - 237-305-270-277-258-226-227-217-230-251

Davidson - 255-78-132-86-81-111-146-174-155-168
VCU - 35-242-131-161-173-109-90-81-79-71

Duquesne - 180-309-185-224-211-233-243-238-214-227
LaSalle - 234-177-261-177-229-222-186-190-191-169 their coach deserves COY

Fordham - 246-74-203-224-210-187-220-219-244-257
Rhode Island - 186-246-280-185-199-213-208-237-257-266

RV Cincinnati - 124-78-43-29-61-49-49-43-36-27
Saint Louis - 157-246-225-225-249-273-270-273-255-230

VCU - 35-242-131-161-173-109-90-81-79-71
Davidson - 255-78-132-86-81-111-146-174-155-168

Saint Louis - 157-246-225-225-249-273-270-273-255-230

LaSalle - 234-177-261-177-229-222-186-190-191-169
Duquesne - 180-309-185-256-211-233-243-238-214-227
Old 11-01-2018, 03:00 PM
I Am A Statistical God

UD's problems are Ohio State, 2 losses to VCU and a loss to Cincinnati. Right now they have 1 top 50 win (Tennessee). Ohio State might make it back in, and VCU is getting close, but we didn't beat them, and if we had, VCU may not have broken top 50. And that Cincy game was right there for us to take.

I know I said they should be in based on things in week 4, but that meant no hiccups. Losing to Cincy was "ok", but twice to VCU was not.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Losing to Cincy was "ok", but twice to VCU was not.

And if we lose a third time to VCU - possibly the one way we do not make the dance - then it is hard to make a case we deserve to be in the NCAA tournament.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
And if we lose a third time to VCU - possibly the one way we do not make the dance - then it is hard to make a case we deserve to be in the NCAA tournament.
I said before the VCU2 match we needed to win one of the two matches left with them, expecting to meet them in the tourney championship. I didn’t think it mattered which one. But now we are down to one opportunity. If we can’t beat them I agree we will need help from a bunch of teams we have already played if we don’t win the A10 Tourney. We will get in if our rpi is low 30s. 50% of our rpi calculation is our opponents win percentage, so we need teams we’ve played to finish strong, especially the OOC teams.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:15 AM

We dropped to 40 after the SLU win and our SOS went from 35 to 51. As long as we keep winning, this is the lowest we will drop. We have absorbed SLUs awe full record of 5-19 twice in our Rpi. That low winning percentage twice in the opponents winning percentage that counts 50% of our rpi just killed us.

We are sitting at 38 this am. For the most part, the A10 matches are a wash. Someone wins and someone washes itself out percentages-wise. The small exception is we want teams we play twice to win and those we play once to lose.

So it’s our OOC opponents that we need to be watching. I’ll pull together a list of what’s left and probability of wins for our past opponents and how it moves their win percentage and helps or hurts us.

The goal is to get an rpi in the low-30s in case we need an at-large bid. We have Duquesne who’s winning percentage is about .500 right now and LaSalle who’s winning percentage is about .650 now. Both play us and SLU, next weekend. So we need to win both those matches. What happens against SLU is a wash.

We will be the 2nd seed in the A10 Tourney. We want to play the third best overall record team because it helps our rpi. Right now that’s LaSalle again.
jack72 (11-04-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 12:38 PM

Smile

Ok I looked at all of our OOC opponents and what they have left and who they have left to play. 7 teams have no conference tournaments so I didn’t have to guess on unidentified matches. The remaining 7 I got lucky in that there are no middle of the conference teams. So easier to guess they were or were not even getting into the conference tourney and their probability to win any match by round. Of the matches left, identified or not, I tended to lean toward they lose a match than hoping they can win a match. In other words, worst-case.

Good news is there are only 3 teams in our OOC schedule that I’m sure will end with losing records. It would have been 4 if we played X. (So AL, Marshall, Evansville). I personally think tOSU will also finish in this category at 15-17. But they might surprise me and go 16-16. The next lowest winning percent is Washington. I think they finish 18-11. Everyone else has great winning percentages - all over .650. I have Pitt going 28-2 (.933) losing to Duke a second time as their only two losses. I honesty don’t think that’s going to happen, but wanted to be conservative to look at our worst case.

I also have UD going 3-1 the rest of the way losing to VCU in the conference final. I actually think we have a great chance to beat VCU, but this is a discussion of what has to happen to get an at large bid and we don’t need one if we win that match.

I also only went to our 14 OOC teams. I did not look at the opponents of our 28 teams and those winning percentages are 25% of the calculation. But that’s 100+ more matches and way too much guessing, so I’m assuming that all averages out to where we are today on that part of the calculation.

Our rpi percentage currently sits at .6072. If we go 3-1 and my conservative guesses for the OOC teams is correct, we increase our rpi percentage to .6232. That would rank 28th currently. That also assumes no teams above us or below us improves their rpi percentage, which isn’t going to happen.

But here is the bottom line, we have to win 3 matches, and our great OOC schedule will help us. The highest I think we can finish is 28. I think we have to finish no lower than 33-34. That gives us a fudge of 6-7 spots.

We beat Duquesne, LaSalle and probably LaSalle again, I think we are in. I’ll re-evaluate again after next weekend.