UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-13-2018, 10:01 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
All Conference Awards

In the past they have come out on Thursday. Here’s my best guess...

COY -Caitlin Schweihofer, LaSalle. Tim’s always in the mix, but I hope they honor what Caitlin has done with a program that was a 300 rpi team for a decade.

POY - Between MB Sneed of VCU and OH Lauren. This is a tough call. Both will be first team AA. I think what Lauren did this year far exceeds what the last couple OH POY winners did, but VCU won the conference and coaches look at that. Last year Amber got it with UD finishing second, but I’m not sure they will do that again this year. If Sneed wins it I’m pretty sure she will be the first senior to win POY after NEVER being on any A10 all conference team during her four year career at VCU. Yanz was SOY, but she was only at UD one year. Sneed played for VCU four years and wasn’t voted for a post season award. Both Sneed and Lauren just took their games to a whole new level this year.

SOY - another close race. Woods from LAS leads the conference in assists per set because she plays a 6-1. Rooney from DAV and Westbeld from UD lead the country in triple doubles and play in a 6-2 system. I don’t think they will give it to a setter on a terrible team which bumps Rooney. You double Brooke’s a/s to compare apples to apples with both setters going 6 rotations, and Brooke’s numbers are better. My guess is Brooke, but it’s close.

LOY - Sharrits from LAS. There are a lot of good Liberos this year. If it’s based on digs, Margo might not get recognized this year. That would be a mistake, because I think what she does on the court is more than any Libero in the league. Margo had more assists than any other defensive player I’ve ever seen in the A10. She was our third setter and did an unreal job feeding hitters when she was called to do so. She also did a great job coaching two freshmen DS players who will be ready to take over next year because of Margo. If Margo doesn’t get honored by the conference this year, i hope the team gets fired up about it and goes out and wins the conference tourney. This happened in 2007 when Adrienne Green was snubbed when she should have been LOY. Biggest post-season error by A10 coaches ever.

ROY - should be Allie. Her stats are BETTER than both Kray and Alaina as freshmen and those players finished as 2x POYs each. No player dominated the weekly ROW award this season. A bunch of freshmen were honored so technically it’s a wide open race, but Allie’s numbers are better than others. Her hitting percentage for a freshman left OH is very good (.225).

Others - Maura should make the all-rookie team, but with all the other freshmen having won weekly awards this year, she might get over looked. That again would be a mistake. She is really, really good. Kendyll should also be all conference somewhere in the mix. That leaves the academic team and without GPAs it’s tough to make that call, but UD should be represented well.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 11-13-2018 at 10:38 AM..
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (11-13-2018)
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2018, 11:47 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Bruns - POY, A10 1st team, All-Academic
Wolf - LOY, A10 2nd team, All-Academic
Papesh - ROY, A10 Rookie team
Brown - A10 1st team
Westbeld - A10 2nd team

La Salle got Setter and Coach of the year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-15-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 01:15 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Very happy for LaSalle and pleased for UD. Many races were close and to be honest VCU is probably ticked off and ready to prove a lot of coaches wrong.

Also, it’s tough for Maura to be left off All Rookie team, but it looks like the coaches spread that award around to teams and when you have the ROY that’s who gets UDs slot. Maura is very good right now and will be the front runner for Libero of the year the next three years. Her time is coming.

So happy for Lauren and Margo to finish their careers as the best in league. Both are excellent amabassadors for UD.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:39 AM

I thought Sneed from VCU was a senior. Might explain why I didn’t see her on the all Rookie Team her freshman year - I was looking at the wrong year. She was honored her freshman year. And she will be the leading candidate for POY next year as a senior.

Amelia back healthy will be a ROY candidate. It was great to see a Flyer back in that spot this year and I’ll take two years in a row when Amelia’s foot is healed. And Maura will be in contention for LOY three years in a row just like Margo was....just like Kraftka was. A great decade of all conference Liberos at UD. With Peterson and Horsmon somewhere in the mix next year and UD will dominate these awards again.

All that is great. But it’s time to focus on winning the A10 Tournament and picking up the auto bid. We will get an at large bid, but this senior group wants to beat VCU. Everyone will need to take their game to the next level, but it’s that time of year. Go Flyers!

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 11-16-2018 at 08:49 AM..
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 09:22 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.atlantic10.com/ViewArticl...B_OEM_ID=31600

This the A10 Tournament page and has links to all the games in one place.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-16-2018)