UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
2018 Schedule

Coach Balice has said the schedule is going to be the toughest one yet for UD, so let the speculation begin.... I looked back 4 years to see what teams could have been under a home-away contract. There could be some tough matches in this list. There are 4 weeks of pre-conference matches usually in 4 weekend of tournaments with 3 matches each weekend. Sometimes there is a mid- week match thrown in before conference play. Historically the first weekend is against easier opponents. The two middle weekends against the toughest competition and the last week against solid teams. That’s not set in stone, but common. So here are some possible competition if we had a two year contract, in order of the historic scheduling strength formula.

Week 1: In 2016 both Youngstown State and Northwestern played in Dayton. I could see us going to Youngstown State the first weekend. Northwestern hasn’t been very good the last couple years, but anytime you can play a Big 10 team, the conference is so strong most teams’ RPIs hold up if they can finish 50-50.

Weeks 2 & 3: UD usually hosts a tournament during these weeks. Some years we host 2 tournaments pre-conference. In 2016 we traveled to Evansville, so I’d expect to see them in Dayton this year. In 2017 we travelled to Ohio State, Ill St and X. X is an easy mid-week match, so the other 3 could be a solid tournament.

Others: the following teams played in Dayton and I would except UD to travel to at least two of these teams this year or in 2019. In 2014 CSU Bakersfield, in 2015 Baylor, in 2016 Loyola Marymount, and in 2017 Pitt and Ohio. Ohio is an easy mid-week match or the week after the conference tournament. The other four would be excellent matches with Loyola Marymount and Pitt probably the toughest. I believe in 2006, TH scheduled a trip out west. It’s highly probable there will be a California trip this year again. Stanford is also not out of the picture. Their coach is the former Illinois coach who will be in his 2nd year at Stanford.

Random Wish List: we have scrimmaged Michigan the last two years during spring. Would like to see them on the schedule again for two years. I always want Wichita State on the schedule. We will have a sister of a WSU player on our team in 2019, so I think it will happen, just not this year. We should also pursue both Creighton and Northern Iowa. Another couple Big 10 teams that are becoming stronger are Iowa and probably Indiana. And finally, Notre Dame is also recruiting well and a program on the move upward.

Mt greatest wish for this year’s schedule is that it’s released before school is out in May. It took forever last year.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
cralford (03-29-2018)
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2018, 10:42 AM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Becky. When did coach Balice say this?

I see the reasons for a tough schedule. Dayton and VCU look like clear favorites in the A-10. Dayton should pick up a lot of wins, so the good teams see Dayton (as well as VCU) as an RPI boost. From Dayton's perspective, they are probably expecting a lot of wins in the conference so it gives them the chance to schedule tough in the non-con.

Also, with some great players who are new like Alli Papesh, or still with multiple years left, like Jamie Peterson, you can look at this year as a chance to prepare them.

Or, to be honest, why not go big right now. We have a great Sr. Libero in Wolf, a great Sr. outiside in Bruns, and a great Sr. middle in Brown. Sometimes the young players can come right in and be successful. I think their spring performance against Michigan (by set scores alone) shows they can hang with the big programs.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:29 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
There is a link from a video clip interview of coach Balice in the thread announcing his return to UD.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:46 AM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Your wish came true. It has been released well before the end of school.

http://daytonflyers.com/documents/20...l_Schedule.pdf
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-04-2018), jack72 (04-04-2018), rollo (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Colonel

Although, it doesn't come without some confusion. The the story and the pdf both say we open against Marshall, but for some reason, the actual schedule page shows Marquette. It sure could be a mistake given their similarity.

Or, did Marquette only want to play one game at our tournament against us????? Who knows.

Either way, there are a lot of challenging matches even if you don't include Marquette. Kentucky and Washington were top 8 teams last year. Kansas and Pitt were both top 25. Then matches against Ohio State, Tennessee, Miami OH, College of Charleston, and Kennesaw State are all chances to earn resume victories. The first weekend looks weak compared to the others, but I don't see any harm in warming up. Especially with a new starting setter, new starting middle, new starting outside, and a new starting DS. None of the 3 (Ball State, Marshall, and South Alabama were awful) last year and Ball State seems like a team that could finish in the top 100.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-04-2018), rollo (04-04-2018), UDVBFan (08-06-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 09:07 PM

I like this schedule a lot. We have matches against solid teams from the conferences that send the most teams to the NCAAs year in and year out. The first week is a tune up. And then we have three great weeks before conference play. We have SLU and VCU twice and hopefully they are at the top of the a10 to challenge us. Also a note on TN. They’ve had a couple down years recently, but I expect they will be back in the NCAAs this year or next.

Great job by the staff to pull this all together. Big10 - PAC 12 - ACC - SEC - BIG12 - Big EAST - if only men’s basketball could pull off this kind of scheduling. I say that in jest, but seriously this is a great schedule.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Colonel

In addition to teams from all of those big name conferences, the schedule also includes the best team from the CAA (College of Charleston), the best team from the Atlantic Sun (Kennesaw St.), and the two best teams from the MAC (Miami of Ohio and Ball State). Obviously this is based on the end of last year, but its hard to look at this schedule and say it won't challenge this team and give them a chance to get at an at-large bid.

The website staff already fixed this Marquette/Marshall issue. We will be playing Marshall.
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 08:27 PM

The more I dig into this schedule the better I like it and I liked it a lot when it was released. Here is a really exciting stat - using figgie rpi from the end of last year - the A10 conference rpi average of all teams ended at 200.9. Basically VCU and Dayton held their own and everyone else fell between 157-276. Thankfully there were no teams in the 300s, but the conference needs 3 teams with RPIs better than 70 and we weren’t even close last year.

The OOC 2018 schedule...those teams ended last year with an average rpi of 86.8. That is the best rpi I have ever seen for a UD OOC schedule by probably 2x. I’ve run these numbers pretty much every year for the last 10 years or so and I can’t remember a year our OOC schedule was better than a 160 rpi. Many years it was disappointing because it was better than our A10 schedule, but not that much better. This schedule is a huge difference. The biggest reason is we only have two teams with RPIs greater than 193. Past years we’ve had 4 or 5 of those teams. 3 teams are between 120-144. Everyone else is 88 or better with two top 10s which I think is also a first.

Since these RPIs are from the end of last year, I dug into how many seniors, juniors and sophomores each team has returning for this year. Plus I looked at the tenure of each head coach and where the team finished in their conference. We will be going up against some very veteran teams, highly tenured coaches and a boat-load of teams that finished 1st or 2nd in their conference, just like UD. Those details are my next post.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 04-05-2018 at 09:01 PM..
Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 PM

Format
Figgie RPI - Team - conference finish - 2018 seniors -juniors - sophomores - coaches tenure-addt comments

275-Evansville-MO Valley-bottom half-7-1-2-6th yr-weakest Team we will play has 7 seniors .
193-Marshall-USA-8th of 12-2-2-3-16th year.
144-X-Big East-6th Of 10-4-2-3-3rd year + 4 as assistant-X had key injuries last year that derailed their season. They will be better in 2018 with 4 seniors.
133-So Alabama-Sunbelt-2nd-4-4-4-7th year. 4 seniors + 4 juniors.
120-BallState-MAC-1st West Div-6-4-4-2nd year-former coach retired. 6 seniors + 4 juniors.
88-TN-SEC-bottom half-3-5-4-1st year- longtime coach resigned. New coach came from NC and brought 2 assistants with her. Will be interesting to see if they rebound.
66-Miami OH-MAC-1st in East Div-2-4-5-35th year-amazing tenure at this program.
55-Dayton-A10-2nd-3-3-4-I didn’t count up THs years but around 10 years-huge talented freshman class too.
49-College of Charleston-CAA-1st-6-2-3-12th year. 6 seniors.
45-tOSU-Big10-9th of 14-1-4-4-11th year-missed NCAAs because just under 500 for the year and yet the Big is so strong a top 50 rpi. With only 1 senior this could be the year we beat them.
42-Kennesaw St-ASUN-1st-5-2-3-6th year- biggest rpi surprise for me. With 5 seniors, they will be tough. 5 seniors.
28-Pitt-ACC-1st-4-5-4-5th year-this coach has come in and done an amazing job turning this program up several levels. We’ve lost to them the last two years. They are very good. They will be ranked. When Penn States coach retires I expect them to look at Pitts coach. 4 seniors + 5 juniors.
20-Kansas-Big12-T3rd-1-5-3-21st year-2nd longest tenured coach. With one senior, it’s an opportunity knock off a big time P5 team. They might be ranked with a big junior class (5).
8-WA-PAC-1st(repeat champs)-1-4-4-3rd year + 2 as asst-WA will be ranked, but only 1 senior.
4-KY-SEC-T1st with FL-3-3-4-13th year-coach was Asst at NE before taking KY job. They will be ranked.

We have never played 3 ranked teams in the regular season. We might play up to 5 before it’s done. 8 teams finished 1 or 2 in their conference plus KS was 3rd. Best schedule ever by a mile.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 04-05-2018 at 09:13 PM..
Old 05-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Colonel

It's not Dayton's schedule, but 3 A-10 teams have shown up on the Toledo Rocket's 2018 schedule. Toledo will play GW, Duquesne, and VCU. http://utrockets.com/schedule.aspx?path=wvball

The VCU weekend is especially interesting because it is a VCU home tournament featuring some decent teams. VCU will host Toledo, South Carolina, and Virginia. I think VCU swept Virginia last year, but it's still an ACC team. South Carolina and the SEC have been improving lately. South Carolina finished last year at 156 in the Figstats RPI with wins against Tennessee, Duke, and Alabama. They were good, not great. No must see matches, but no cupcakes either. We will have to see the rest of the VCU schedule, but its a nice start.

GW will play Toledo, Bradley, and Western Illinois.
Duquesne will play Toledo, Morehead State, and Manhattan.

Toledo vs. GW and Toledo vs. Duquesne are good road matches for those two teams. Hopefully GW and Duquesne will win those not so difficult neutral matches.
BeckysTXA (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 11:25 AM

Rhode Island’s schedule is out. I think they did a good job with setting this up based on their team. They only have 1 All-Conference player returning, an All-Rookie team OH. Based on Figgie rpi, RI finished last year at 186. Six of their 12 non-conference teams in 2018 ended with better RPIs.

77 Temple
84 Yale
96 Loyola Marymount
108 Hofstra
131 Drake
161 Army

Temple in the ACC and Yale in the Ivy both finished 2nd last year. LMU in the West Coast, Hofstra in CAA and Drake in the MVC all finished 4th. I expect LMU to finish higher this year. I don’t know enough about anyone else.

The rest:

206 Sacred Heart
210 New Hampshire
211 Columbia
239 Binghamton
305 NJIT
306 Holy Cross

I hope the 300s improve this year. Overall these 12 average a Figgie rpi of 178. That better than RIs 186, and they don’t return a lot of good players. And thus I think this is good scheduling for them for 2018.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Colonel

Looks like a tough non-conference schedule for a team that graduates so many seniors. Sure, they may have some good sophomores and freshman, but it's a pretty daunting schedule for a fairly inexperienced team. Rhode Island graduates their best middle Marie Gilcrist (0.297 H%, 1.37 B/S, 0.30 sa/s), most active OH Kylee Wolfe (890 attempts, 0.31 sa/s, and 2.31 d/s), libero Jessie Blaze (3.58 d/s), and the two players who played RS Rachel Lynn Cox and Sam Roberts. The biggest loss is definitely Marie Gilcrist. Her hitting and blocking numbers were the best and most consistent on the team by far.

The 1st weekend is so much tougher than the rest. It does seem like the head coach could be giving his young team the chance to face tough opponents before giving them opportunities to use what they learned the next 3 weekends. There are some opportunities for victories, but there aren't many. That match against Sacred Heart (last non-con match) will be a great measuring stick to see what they learned. A win or good performance on the road against Sacred Heart, a team that is normally good in the NEC, would be a good sign.

If there is any good new, RI does return Liv Lunde Fosdal at OH and she played well.
RI also returns setter Lauren Pick. Rhode Island's younger players did not get too many opportunities to show their stuff last year. Outside of Olivia Budinich at Libero (she played 81 sets as a DS), we will have to wait until the season starts to see who can fill the holes and how well they do. The most promising could be Kelsey Montgomery at the MB position. She only played 13 sets and got 26 attempts, but did post a hitting percentage of 0.346.
BeckysTXA (05-04-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 05:03 PM
Colonel

La Salle's schedule is official. http://www.goexplorers.com/schedule.aspx?path=wvball

Big change from last year. In 2017 the Explorers played 5 matches against the Patriot league. In 2018 they have zero matches against the Patriot League. They don't even play nearby Lafayette. Penn is also not on the schedule. I guess Penn didn't like taking a loss to La Salle.

La Salle plays NJIT for the 3rd year in a row and plays UMES for the 2nd year in a row. La Salle has player Rider a lot in the past and they are back on the schedule. Rider is a much better local rivalry than Lafayette. I like the switch. I was hoping to see this. UMES and La Salle played to five sets. It's another good match to continue.

I really like the matches against Delaware, DePaul, Kent State, and UMBC. In general I like this a lot. It's challenging but they have some opportunities to pick up some wins with Kent State at home and DePaul on a neutral court. It's consistent with how their team was playing at the end of last year.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Colonel

More 2018 schedules are available. Both Fordham and Davidson have released schedules, and a slight change has happened with La Salle's last game before conference plan. UMES will not be playing La Salle in Towson and instead the Explorers will be facing off against Ball State.

Davidson 2018 Schedule - http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/sche...px?path=wvball
Fordham 2018 Schedule - https://fordhamsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=wvball
BeckysTXA (07-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 09:36 AM
Colonel

Duquense has posted their schedule.
http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/w-v...ley-sched.html

Not a particularly ambitious schedule from the Dukes. 8 teams further west than Pennsylvania, so the schedule isn't full of east coast cupcakes. But Lafayette and Manhattan show up on the schedule and they should be easy victories. It could end up being a good opportunity to be challenged but still get some wins. Their first match of the year at Lehigh might be one of the toughest in the non-con. It looks like a good schedule to at least prepare them for matches against the likes of Fordham, La Salle, GW, and Davidson.
BeckysTXA (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 12:12 PM

No VCU schedule yet. I noticed for spring they played mostly at Virginia - 3 matches. Might be having scheduling problems all around. It’s really late in the cycle. Will be interesting to see what comes out.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:18 PM

SLUs looks pretty good. I like the mix of conferences in their OOC matches, and against teams that usually finish pretty strong in their own conferences.

http://www.slubillikens.com/SportSel...&Q_SEASON=2018
Old 07-10-2018, 12:48 PM

VCU just posted. It looks pretty strong but I haven’t looked at last year results for any of the OOC teams.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/w...18-19/schedule

Overall it looks like schedule for the conference as a whole are stronger this year. There are programs that are not as strong, but collectively I think it’s upgraded overall.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:33 PM

Duquesne’s schedule finally released. IMO a little weak.

http://www.goduquesne.com/schedule.aspx?path=wvball
Old 08-07-2018, 12:58 PM

Some preseason conference polls are out and here are the projected finish of some of our opponents.

#1 - Pitt in ACC
#1 - KY in SEC
#4 - KS in Big 12
#2 - So Alabama in East Div of Sunbelt
#6 - X in Big East
#10 - TN in SEC

TN has been down the last couple years, but have traditionally had a strong program so they might surprise some people. Everyone else is probably about right - meaning they could move up or down one slot.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:12 PM

Forgot to add, I’m excepting Pitt and KY to be ranked in preseason poll.