Published by Swampy Meadows
03-06-2011
Dear BG

Head Coach Brian Gregory
University of Dayton Arena
Edwin Moses Boulevard
Dayton, OH 45469

Dear BG:

Hey Coach, now that the season is finished I thought that I would write to you on behalf of the 3,000+ members here at UDPride.com.

Yeah, I realize that it’s only the regular season that has ended, but let’s face facts:

This team is done
Finito
Over and out

The Flyers are not going to claim the A-10 Championship in AC, even if you somehow manage to win in Amherst; you are not headed to the NCAAs; and we all hope to hell that neither the NIT nor, heaven forbid, the CBI comes calling. We want this season to be over and more importantly, it’s pretty clear that your players do, too.

When Drew Formentini from WINGAM.com asked you after the “2nd Annual SLU Senior Night Debacle” on Wednesday if you had lost this team, you told him that he was the first guy to bring it up.

No he isn’t. Not by a long shot.

The 3,000+ good folks here at UD Pride are all convinced that you have lost the Flyer players and fans are ****ed off to varying degrees, ranging from “BG please do something different on offense!” to “FIRE BG NOW!!!” You’ll find the same thing over at FlyerHoops.net; likewise in the comments section of the DDN if you are masochistic enuf to read them.

And I hate to tell you this, but most of them are leaning towards the latter rather than the former.

Those fans at the Arena on Wednesday night were not cheering “Luuukke” Coach; those were boos. I was there in the Arena for the “1st Annual SLU Senior Night Debacle” last year when the Red and Blue were booed off the Arena floor at halftime and thought it was terrible. I can only imagine how it felt this time.

Okay, so enuf about the past.

What the heck are you gonna do about it next year?

Can I make a suggestion?

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know sh*t from Shinola when it come to Xs and Os… but I can think of someone who does.

It entails getting in your car and driving north on Interstate 75 about 250 miles. Get off at the University Drive exit. It’s a place you know very, very well.

Your alma mater, Oakland University.

Head into “The Orena” and into the Athletic Department offices and plop your butt down in the chair in the Basketball office and start firing questions.

To Greg Kampe, your old Head Coach.

Besides coaching you, NBA prospect Keith Benson and hundreds of other guys over the last 26 seasons, there is something else that Coach Kampe is noted for and that is what brings you to see him.

The Dribble Drive Offense

Coach Kampe is one of the acknowledged gurus of the Dribble Drive Offense. He’s like Yoda, only with bad hair!

Coach Kampe teaches the Dribble Drive Offense at clinics, like this one for the COBA:

http://cobacampblog.blogspot.com/201...ty-topics.html

I found this item in the comments section to be interesting:

“We rarely get on players for poor shot selection because we want them to play with freedom rather than looking over at the bench.”

This year, Coach Kampe has kept the dribble drive offense but has switched from man-to-man to a matchup zone defense:

http://rochester.patch.com/articles/...chups-to-start

Hmmm.

So why the Dribble Drive Offense?

-- It’s something different. No offense, but having Luke Fabrizius set a (moving) screen 30 feet from the hoop is not an offense, Coach.

-- It suits your existing personnel. It’s tailor-made for guys like Juwan, Josh Benson and Chris Johnson. You think LaDontae Henton and Percy Gibson would be excited about running in this kind of offense? Or how about Alter’s Jaaron Simmons in a couple of years?

-- It will make the Flyers less predictable, which will be invaluable in the Atlantic 10 campaign next year. Admit it: A-10 teams knew what your players were gonna do before they did. That ain’t good.

-- Not only does Coach Kampe run it, but Slick Rick down at UL does as well along with a growing number of your peers. You’ll get to see it firsthand on Tuesday because Derek Kellogg at UMass is a proponent – and he’s got the guy who developed the dribble drive offense, Vance Walberg on his staff:

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/Drib...onOffense.html

If nothing else make the drive to OU; learn the principles of Dribble Drive from your mentor; bring them back and experiment with them on the European tour this summer. See how it works when nobody is watching. If you like the results, whip it out on an unsuspecting field at the Old Spice Classic in Orlando this November. Or better yet, save it up for Chris Mack or Chris Mooney in A-10 play next year, when they least suspect it.

That will surprise them. And it would shock the hell out of us.

Thanks for listening, Coach.

Jim “Swampy” Meadows
UDPride.com
Article Tools
By Avid Flyer on 03-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Shame on you Swampy, you could have had the decency to at least wait till the fat lady sang. You've made a foregone conclusion. Thank God you are not a doctor. While the patient is in ICU you have pronounced their death and signed the certificate. Yet the family (fans) are still at their side. Would you start embalming while they are still breathing.

While many of your thoughts could be spot on you could have at least waited till the final result.
By Flyer68 on 03-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Well said and written. But don't you guys have better things to do on Saturday night at 12:30 AM? Miracles happen but... Let's assume that UD gets past UMass but since we lost the first game, it's a poor assumption. Then we get to play Xavier. Let's see now... UD at home on Senior Night loses to St. Louis by 18 points. Xavier then beats St. Louis in St. Louis by 11 points. UD v. X sure does not look like a close game to me.
By Flyer 86 on 03-06-2011, 10:22 AM
spot on Swampy, one of your best and most realistic reads.

if i'm troubled or untalented, I first admit i don't have the skills or tools necessary to get me out of _____________. This is called wisdom. Then i analyze and seek out what skills or issues I need to deal with.

then i find the right people. helpful environment and tools to create effective tools and patterns.

Then i keep habitually utilizing these tools and positive patterns in my job or life to keep the engine of hope and creation running well. Keeping negative patterns at bay, I keep focusing on what I do well and what my talent is. And how I bring in the student/athletes and staff to help me keep achieving my goal.

If I have no real concrete attainable goal.... I am sunk. It's realization and reflection time UD hoops.

- Basketball Anonymous
By Flyer1407 on 03-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Shame on you Swampy, you could have had the decency to at least wait till the fat lady sang. You've made a foregone conclusion. Thank God you are not a doctor. While the patient is in ICU you have pronounced their death and signed the certificate. Yet the family (fans) are still at their side. Would you start embalming while they are still breathing.

While many of your thoughts could be spot on you could have at least waited till the final result.
The family isn't at the side, the priest has come in, they've pulled the plug, it's OVER.
By Trinity on 03-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Why the dribble drive O? The current offense that doesn't seem to work so well uses on-ball action. We have two starting wings (soon to be seniors) who haven't proven that they can get to the rim or pass off of penetration. Parker doesn't finish at the rim very well. (not sure about Dillard) We don't handle the ball very well. These guys are jump shooters. Run them off picks away from the ball. Hit the big men opening towards the ball after they set screens.
By Buster Goode on 03-06-2011, 12:00 PM
The sad part is with the First Four games, even if we make one of the post-season tournaments, we will likely have to play on the road unless we play VERY early like 4pm.
By tirebiter on 03-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Swampy - Think how embarrassed you'll be if they win the next 4 or 5 straight.
By Avid Flyer on 03-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
Swampy - Think how embarrassed you'll be if they win the next 4 or 5 straight.
Sorry Swampy but when I read an article from a journalist I expect it to be factual and not fictional or based on ones emotional take. While this is a blog you should still stick with the facts.

And the facts are the team is still alive.
Last edited by Avid Flyer; 03-06-2011 at 04:53 PM..
By FlyerDan on 03-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I'd say Swamp hit a home run with this post. For those of us who have followed the Flyers for the past 40 plus years, this team has been one of (if not) the biggest disappointments in UD history. There may be a million reasons, but there are no excuses.
By Avid Flyer on 03-06-2011, 04:56 PM
No doubt about the disappointment but that does not change the fact the team still has at least one game left. Will that one game make a difference to the season, probably not. We will see what they are made of now that it is a new season.

Forget the season and A-10 record everyone is not 0-0.
By Swampy Meadows on 03-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Sorry Swampy but when I read an article from a journalist I expect it to be factual and not fictional or based on ones emotional take.
Whoa Avid, time out dude. I am not and have never claimed to be a "journalist." I'm a fan with a blog. That's it.

And this happens to be my opinion, given the current set of circumstances.

Are the Flyers still alive? Of course.

Are they gonna run the table in Atlantic City? Nothing would please me more, but I don't think so.
By UDBrian on 03-07-2011, 02:34 PM
BG didn't make the kool aid, people on this forum made the kool aid (myself included) and many of us drank it. We knew that there were some serious holes to fill coming into the season and many of us ignored getting killed by UC. This team plays hard and has improved since early in the year but imho the players just aren't good enough yet and they need to work on individual skills just as Holloway has since arriving at Eggs avier
Comment

Article Tools