User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,523 Times in 771 Posts
Barney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant future
This makes me angry. Troubled man? How can they hire him? Come now. He needed time off for his health and he's better now and you ridicule him for accepting the Florida Atlantic job? How can anyone stoop so low? I know I'll take heat for this position but frankly I DON"T CARE -- just like when I felt the criticism Lauren took was unjust - I took heat for that. Be happy for the man - the game is better with him in it.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Barney Sentner For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (04-06-2017), jaburr91 (04-06-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-06-2017), rollo (04-06-2017), San Diego Flyer (04-06-2017)
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
A good man...

Originally Posted by Barney Sentner View Post
This makes me angry. Troubled man? How can they hire him? Come now. He needed time off for his health and he's better now and you ridicule him for accepting the Florida Atlantic job? How can anyone stoop so low? I know I'll take heat for this position but frankly I DON"T CARE -- just like when I felt the criticism Lauren took was unjust - I took heat for that. Be happy for the man - the game is better with him in it.
Barney, you may be misinterpreting the comments about Jabir. I think all Priders know that he's a good man who has done much for UD....and vice versa. It's the peculiar way he handled his issues, whatever they may be, that has led to the comments re his departure.

If JJ needed break for health reasons, physical or emotional, I'm sure UD would have accommodated him in every way possible. I'm sure of that. It's the "Quitting the best job I ever had"....then accepting a similar (but not nearly as good) job only six months later with a strange European adventure in between that has given rise to the questioning of his behavior.

JJ's behavior has been very odd, to say the least....and surely is consistent with emotional "trouble" of some sort...hopefully now in the past. Comments by Priders have not been intended as criticism of JJ...."concern" would be a better interpretation, I think.

Last edited by UACFlyer; 04-06-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
4-25 last season, 0-18 C-USA, very top heavy roster. should be a challenge indeed.
http://www.fausports.com/sports/w-ba...askbl-mtt.html

on the upside, if you can adjust to the cost of living, i think boca raton is a more glamorous place to live than dayton! maybe he'll be tight with new football coach lane kiffin! ;-/ or was it daniel tosh?

as christians we're not supposed to judge. coach jabir elevated our program to new heights. i wish him, his children, and angie much luck & happiness. i watched the streaming press conference -- angie was in attendance and sounds like she's going to florida.

sometimes the details don't matter. dayton is well-positioned with anthony grant and shauna green. life goes on.

Last edited by Columbia Blue; 04-06-2017 at 01:03 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Columbia Blue For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (04-06-2017), jaburr91 (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,114 Posts
jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
http://www.upressonline.com/2017/04/...championships/

“When I initially talked about health scares, I kind of felt that if I kept on going on the track I was, that eventually something bad was going to happen to me physically,” said Jabir. “It was more of an emotional thing that I was beat up. I kind of felt if I kept going that way. I’m fine and I’m really excited to be here.”
Old 04-06-2017, 02:31 PM

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Trading Dayton for Boca Raton. I could get into that.

Article says, "They would like to welcome Coach Jabir and his family." Wonder if Angie is moving, or is it just generic PR speak?
Old 04-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
She is moving to florida.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 02:38 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Leave of absence

Seems as if a one year leave of absence would have taken care of that....hard to believe that UD wouldn't have gone along. However, what's done is done...and the program may be better off having a solid coach step in right of way. She did mighty well.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (04-06-2017), jumpin' joe (04-06-2017), rollo (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,560 Times in 2,453 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, it would have taken care of it IF he was certain he would return to coaching at the time he left. And yes, UD would have granted a leave. However that was a big if.

He said he did not feel that he could give the team and the program what it deserved. Had he not resigned, I doubt Shauna comes back to lead the team for one year. They would have been in a holding pattern and would likely not have come near the success they did enjoy.
I believe he made the difficult decision to make a complete separation for the good of the players and the program because he had no idea what the future would hold for him.
I am delighted that he will be coaching again. As Barney said, the game is better with him in it. FAU is fortunate to have him.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:22 PM
Brigadier General

jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...SlnZ7xgZ1t6ZI/

After health scares at the end of his Dayton tenure that Jabir attributed to overworking himself...
Jabir dedicated his new job to his wife, Angie, who he said also serves as his agent and guide.
Mad Props to jaburr91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 07:15 PM
Brigadier General

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...406-story.html

With a 252-155 record, Jabir is Dayton’s all-time leader in wins. But he said the expectations after an Elite Eight run hampered his health. He believed the next step was to make a Final Four.

"For a year, I killed myself trying to get there,” Jabir said. "My players would walk into my office and go ‘You look like crap. Are you alright? Go see a doctor or something.’ I wasn’t me. I was tired. I was beat up. I walked away because I wasn’t doing the job I promised I would do for them."
Old 04-06-2017, 07:51 PM

Unnrealistic...

This explanation of self-imposed "pressure" doesn't make sense. Final Four? C'mon!

The Flyers had become regulars in the NCAAs. That was great. But they weren't particularly successful once they got there. Then came the glorious Elite 8. That was wonderful...but hardly led to expectations by the Faithful that a Final Four was right around the corner. That simply makes no sense.

Although being an NCAA regular is an accomplishment, getting past the first round of the NCAAs has been a struggle for the Flyers and, if I recall correctly, the Elite 8 year was the first time the Flyers got to the second weekend of the tournament.

Dayton fans would be ecstatic to be an NCAA regular, winning when there, and making it to the Sweet 16 once in a while. Perhaps after a decade or so of that level of NCAA success the Faithful would begin to look forward to more. But, to suggest that after a single really great season there was Final Four kind of pressure on a Dayton coach is close to delusional.

I believe JJ when he says he felt that sort of pressure. But at the same time I don't see that it reflects even a hint of reality. It doesn't take a Final Four to make Dayton fans very, very happy with their basketball teams and coaches.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:13 PM

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
It's never the pressure others put on us, ultimately it is the pressure we put on ourselves that does us in.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (04-06-2017), Cardsflyer (04-07-2017), jaburr91 (04-06-2017), John C. (04-07-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-06-2017), rollo (04-06-2017), UACFlyer (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 08:39 PM

Right!

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
It's never the pressure others put on us, ultimately it is the pressure we put on ourselves that does us in.
Absolutely right, Jack. And the resulting anxiety can be disabling....almost unbearable. Very good point, Jack.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,523 Times in 771 Posts
Barney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant future
I hate to even get into this but watching the intro press conference Angie will be joining Jim in Florida - so impressed to hear his new players hugged him after their initial meeting. Congrats FAU.