User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016, 02:16 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
ncaa tournament

has anyone been watching the ncaa games? There has been some great vball. John Dunning the Stanford coach was a presenter at the art of coaching volleyball clinic, seemed like a great guy who was definitely into technical measurements and tools such as the noah device

Dunning's stanford team was down 2-0 to wisconsin and won. They have a 6'8" outside hitter and their shortest hitter is 6'3"

final four on thursday
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-14-2016), Glen Clark (12-13-2016)
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2016, 05:54 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
has anyone been watching the ncaa games? There has been some great vball. John Dunning the Stanford coach was a presenter at the art of coaching volleyball clinic, seemed like a great guy who was definitely into technical measurements and tools such as the noah device

Dunning's stanford team was down 2-0 to wisconsin and won. They have a 6'8" outside hitter and their shortest hitter is 6'3"

final four on thursday
Here is the Stanford roster: http://www.gostanford.com/roster.aspx?path=wvball Basketball coaches would go nuts with an athletic team this size! Watched some of the games and will certainly view the final 4.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NovaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-14-2016), Glen Clark (12-13-2016), UDBrian (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:18 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,360 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I think I'm speaking for most when I say I have no idea where these 6'8" girls are coming from, but they are in the prep pipelines and coming. Stanford and Florida already have one and Wisconsin is getting one next year. And like Novaflyer said, they are athletic. I'm confident the days of a setter or any hitter under 6' are numbered. I don't care how great a jumper you are, you can't give up 7-8" and expect to defend 6'8". We saw it with 6'6" Lindsay Fletmeier. She could just flatout hit over the blocks.

As far as the setters go, I think you are already seeing more and more 6'+ setters. It's just a matter of time. It's hard for club coaches of 12 year olds to not use a 5' 10" young girl as anything but a hitter at that age. And parents see their daughter so much taller than her classmates. But parents are going to have to get more educated. They need to take a hard look at family history and expected growth once their daughters reach 13-14 years old. Most girls don't grow too much after that and 5'10" hitters will have problems finding quality D1 programs as a hitter. DII has always taken very good - shorter hitters. I just see the bar for "shorter hitters" being raised to 6', maybe even higher sooner rather than later.

I also wonder what the impact of the emergence of women's volleyball is having on women's basketball. The pool of athletic girls is still growing, but there is a saturation point and this new world of taller women will impact these two sports. It also might have an impact on soccer some. Bigger, taller, faster, more athletic is coming in a lot of women's sports in the next 10 years.

10 years ago my niece was finishing her senior year in high school and headed to UD as a 6'1" MB. Her dad will tell you if he had known more about volleyball as she was growing up, he would have had her play setter even tho she was basically the tallest girl in her class and a good jumper. She can dunk a basketball kind of jumper. She should have been a setter 10 yrs ago. She would be a setter today if she was in high school. Hitters over 6'4" is where the game is going.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:10 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
The biggest advantage the tall players have is that their timing doesn't have to be perfect. I remember one play where Lindsay Fletmeier spiked a ball and the dig was an overpass back to her. She didn't have time to jump and spiked the ball flat footed. It was crazy and the other ud players thought the same thing.

Your niece could have played any position on the court except for maybe libero. She was really really quick hitting the slide and that came from Kelly.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:00 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...-a-boost.html#

First- woo hoo I just figured out how to copy and paste on an iPad.

The link above talks about the Final Four over in Columbus. But it also says that volleyball just surpassed basketball at the high school level with more girls playing vball. I knew it had to be getting close. Just didn't know it's now bigger.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:01 PM
General of the Air Force

Congrats on your accomplishment, I will buy you a congratulatory drink the next time you are in town

Really interesting info on vball, I didn't realize how popular it has become although I probably should have.

In some ways I wish that I had purchased tickets but I'm not sure the seating will be very good since that is a basketball court. It isn't as nice as being in a volleyball only venue
Old 12-16-2016, 07:11 AM
General of the Air Force

I am pulling for stanford only because I have listened to dunning and think that he coaches by emphasizing the positive whenever possible
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 08:27 AM

6 vs 4 seeds in the final. The best two teams won last night. I felt the two factors in both matches were the teams that put up a brick wall of a block won both matches. Both TX and Stanford were totally committed to blocking last night. Second was the teams that served the toughest consistantly won. Both NE and MN either let up on serving or were too amped up and serving up too many service errors. They struggled from the serve line. You have to be able to get tough serves in play at this level or the other team is in system too much. You have to go for your serve, but you have to get it in. Backing off your serve does no good. It's that simple. TX and Stanford did a better job serving and blocking.

Final will be great. The scary part is both of these teams took a similiar path thru the season and are so young. Stanford starts 4 freshmen. Both made tons of line up changes during the season including making tough setter decisions mid- stream. Both teams are peaking after a season of working to get people comfortable in new positions and roles.

For UD, three things that stood out to me were the serving as noted above. The ability of these teams OHs to score on the sharp cut shot time and time again. We haven't seen a left OH nail cut shots inside the 10' line at will since Rachel Kraybacher. And from the middle slide attacking from the right side since Becky Novacek. The good news is I think everyone of our current hitters have the ability to make this shot from either the left or the right. We occasionally see it. But both of these teams use this shot more than the basis cross court shot which usually has a defender waiting for it. We need to get in the gym and make it happen in the off season. The setter needs to set up the hitters to give the hitters the option to cut their shots hard.

And finally the ability to put up a roof block. We were not a good blocking team early in the season and we improved a ton this past year. But we now need to take it to the next level. We are not penetrating over the net like the Final Four teams. They reach over the net every time to stop hitters and have the blocked ball go straight down. Our blocks bounce off the blocking arms and give teams a better chance to dig up the block. We need to work on getting up and over the net on our blocks. Plenty to work on this off season.

FYI: a cut shot travels very close to the net and lands between the net and the 10' line. A cross court shot is more angled from the hitter to the opposite back corner of the court. For a left OH to hit the cut shot, if they are right handed, they need to start their approach from closer to the net. Last night I watched the left OHs and the were never starting their approach run farther than about 4 feet back from the net. They were outside the court, but running more left to right onto the court than starting back 10' and running towards the net to hit. The tv camera was over on the right side pretty much along the net line so you could see the left OHs' approaches very easily. You could also see the block penetration over the net from this camera angle. You can watch both of these on Saturday's final. It's much different than what UD is doing.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 12-16-2016 at 08:46 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-17-2016), NovaFlyer (12-16-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 09:54 AM
General of the Air Force

Great observations

I rewatched the Stanford Wisconsin match. As you said Stanford puts up a big block. In the first two sets Stanford's block wasn't a huge factor. In sets 3-5 Stanford's block was the big difference. A huge factor was that Stanford started serving tougher. When the passes were off the net or in the corners Wisconsin struggled just as UD struggled at times when passing wasn't up to par. When you play a team with a 6'8" blocker it is even more obvious when you don't have three hitting options on a pass. The color commentator did a great job pointing out the lack of ball control later in the match

I really like Jess's jump floater and it was consistent in big matches. But, other than that we can also improve the serving a lot which will also improve the blocking. I cannot remember the exact goals on serving that Stanford's coach gave at the art of coaching volleyball clinic. He wanted high speed float serves with a small number of errors. It seems that it might have been about 5 missed serves per match and that he wanted those serves at 30 mph

Last edited by UDBrian; 12-17-2016 at 09:57 AM..
Old 12-17-2016, 12:55 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Biggest difference I see at this elite level: there is no compromise when you recruit size. There is no compromise when you recruit athleticism. Often Dayton has to decide one or the other in a recruit. If you want 6-5/6-6, the player isnt going to be a jumping jack. If you recruit 5-11/6-1 jumping jacks, they are undersized.

Th Stanfords and Texas' of the get the full package. Which is why those recruits are Lebron James and Kevin Durant of the vball world. They have no weakness you can pick on when competing against Top-10 opposition.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 06:06 PM
General of the Air Force

I agree. The only way you can beat a team like that would begin with almost flawless passing so the setter always has multiple options. Coach Sheffield pointed this out before the match and they accomplished this for two sets. Even though these 6'8" players are athletic they are not as quick as some of the 6'1" players. So you run sets completely out to the poles and tool and you run fast sets to the seams between blockers.

For a team with UD's size it would take an almost flawless match starting with the setter sitting in a rocking chair receiving perfect passes over and over. And the setter must be extremely accurate for the entire match, any minor mistake and you lose the point.

I should also say that I was very impressed with Bates the Stanford libero, wouldn't be surprised to see her on the Olympic team at some point

I should add that ud has three freshmen 6'3", maybe more than one of them will become a hitter

Last edited by UDBrian; 12-17-2016 at 07:11 PM..
Old 12-17-2016, 10:26 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Wow, Stanford playing super, streaks and great athletics.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:26 AM

First I have to say after about 500 cut shot swings by these two teams on Thursday I saw a total of two Saturday night. Both teams must have game planned to take that shot away from each other.

Stanfords block is the best I have seen over the last two matches. For the season they averaged 3.37 per set to lead the nation. The number of roof blocks it produces is unreal. (Blocks that go straight down on the other side of the net because the blockers arms are extended so far over the net.)

Stanford shut down Texas' OH1 immediately. At one point in the 2nd set she had 2 kills and 8 errors. She's the player that got replaced in the 3rd set because nothing was working for her last night. She's a 2x all American hitter and Stanford took her out of the match.

To start the match, in the first set, there were a lot of Libero sets by both teams. Neither team could get the second touch to their setter. Stanford fixed that and went on to improve their passing as the match went on. Texas improved some, but not at the level of Stanford. Stanfords Libero credited their block as the reason they were digging the ball so well. She said the block was well positioned making it easier to set up behind it to get to any balls. Volleyball is such a team sport on a different level. Every action has a reaction - good or bad.

Stanford is going to be so good for years. They graduate 1 senior from their rotation, and a total of 2. They have only 2 juniors and both were in their rotation, so after next year they will only loose 2 Players. Everyone else on the floor was a sophomore or freshman including frehmen Libero, Setter and the NFOY OH1. And their front line is 6'8", 6'6", 6'6", 6'4" and their setter is 6'1".

Finally, Texas' setter was good, but she was only 5'7". Stanford hit over her all night long. A couple years back Penn State won a championship with a short setter, but these days are numbered. No one can make up basically a foot on the front row and that's what Texas' setter gave up last night with 3 Stanford hitters.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-18-2016), Glen Clark (12-31-2016), UDBrian (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 08:56 AM
General of the Air Force

I wonder if Stanford will start a new trend in vball. It used to be that the tallest player was expected to play middle blocker. But, Stanford doesn't have a hitter under 6'3", their middles are a little bit shorter.

Will club teams pick up on this and start playing their tallest players on the outside if they are athletic enough?
Old 12-18-2016, 09:24 AM
General of the Air Force

I've mentioned the noah device before. It measures the height and trajectory of a set and speaks out a number such as "74" AT some point the coach will say "ok, that is what I want, keep repeating that"

During the art of teaching volleyball clinic coach Dunning had someone setting from a local Div II school. This young woman repeatedly made sets within 3 numbers. Coach Dunning stopped her and said something like "You are doing a GREAT job. You are doing better than my setters do" It was nice of him to take the time to congratulate her in front of a very large audience of coaches. Just thought I would mention this because he was coaching in the final four.
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 06:24 PM

I'm not sure how the voting for National Coach of the Year works. I do know it's usually a list of the regional COYs that are on the ballot. Dunning did NOT win the regional COY this year for his region, but won National COY. I don't know if that means he was a write-in or not. But he was probably very surprised since this is not how it normally comes down. He certainly deserved it getting a very young team to put it all together after a 7-loss season to win it all taking down the #2, #3 and #4 seeds. That was probably the most impressive.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (12-19-2016)