Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Why Chose UD for Football

On the Recruit thread, a new father has been asking questions and wondering about a perceived advantage that Butler has over UD.

First, we should welcome Always Proud to the forum. We really, really do need input from the inside if any news can be or should be posted. I focus on the team (players mainly) because I never went to UD nor did my children. Many alums focus more on the program and maybe this subject.

Dad, you said on the other thread that UD could show off the arena & Baujan Field but what do we have for football.

The other sporting venues don't sell a football player but they create a pleasant memory as do the buildings around campus where money was spent for educational & social purposes. Even how students inter-acted with each other or said "Hi" during a campus visit all sets the comfort zone in our memory.

The player really doesn't care about the field markings or stadium void. The field surface is good. I too hated the field from my viewpoint in the seats but have put it aside because it is the lipstick you mentioned. it's a short walk from the dressing room and practice field is shorter walk. The tax man is concerned about whether or not it is within campus boundaries.

Most decisions favoring UD are about two things - the academics and the level of football. This may be the highest level the boy's frame or speed will allow. The three guys from the 2010 team were snapped up quickly by European teams because Dayton is D-1 football to them!

Other factors such as distance from home & friends could be a factor. Weather not so much - it's better than Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Detroit in winter.

My first look at UD football after learning of a commitment centered on the record of the team (and its old coach) of so many years. It was a well-kept secret in Ohio!
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2012, 09:39 PM
1st Lieutenant

Always Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of light
The only conversation I was trying to generate was what is it that UD offers to a prospect that other schools may not be able to. There is no doubt UD's academic offerings are tops in the PFL. But their are a few others who aren't shabby either. It just depends on your academic interest. I realize some are a joke when it comes to academics. Ours is not.

My point about the arena is that it is a focal point of the sports at UD. As someone said to me, UD is a basketball school not football. I politely disagreed. Even Gruden pointed that out during his conversation during the UD-Xavier game. I'm sure soccer, volleyball, etc. feel the same. As for the stadium. Yes the field is top notch and new. There are a few other things I don't care for but that is me. My biggest gripe is the locker rooms are well dated. When it is not large enough to get dressed for the game and during half time, part of the team has to stay outside because it is not big enough is a problem. Baujan is the latest addition and nicely done. Someone in another post mentioned how it would be nice if the football stadium was in a smaller venue as such. Shame on me for mentioning because this is all off topic of my original point.

Obviously my son and his mom and I were impressed enough with all of the same points you mention that he chose to be a Flyer. He had options of playing at a MAC school, another PFL school, or a DII school. When it came down to enjoying himself and getting a degree, UD was his choice.

You are likely correct in I must have hit hit a nerve with some alumni (presumed). That was not my intention. All I was trying to do is generate conversation and get others perspectives. Again not my intention to offend. All I wanted were opinions of what makes us different than others. Maybe academics and campus environment is what makes us different from others. And possibly the passion of UD supporters? (JK)

So I wave the white flag and shall take my lashings.

Last edited by Always Proud; 02-06-2012 at 09:50 PM..
Old 02-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
No white flag needed and no lashings deserved. Good conversation and opinions welcome and well stated. I find the viewpoint of someone who has seen the recruiting process firsthand informative and constructive. Your comments on the "extended conversations" with your son give me a chuckle. He sounds pretty normal. Keep em comin.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Charlie B (02-07-2012), UACFlyer (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Captain

murphy98 has a spectacular aura aboutmurphy98 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Flyer Gramps View Post
On the Recruit thread, a new father has been asking questions and wondering about a perceived advantage that Butler has over UD.

First, we should welcome Always Proud to the forum. We really, really do need input from the inside if any news can be or should be posted. I focus on the team (players mainly) because I never went to UD nor did my children. Many alums focus more on the program and maybe this subject.

Dad, you said on the other thread that UD could show off the arena & Baujan Field but what do we have for football.

The other sporting venues don't sell a football player but they create a pleasant memory as do the buildings around campus where money was spent for educational & social purposes. Even how students inter-acted with each other or said "Hi" during a campus visit all sets the comfort zone in our memory.

The player really doesn't care about the field markings or stadium void. The field surface is good. I too hated the field from my viewpoint in the seats but have put it aside because it is the lipstick you mentioned. it's a short walk from the dressing room and practice field is shorter walk. The tax man is concerned about whether or not it is within campus boundaries.

Most decisions favoring UD are about two things - the academics and the level of football. This may be the highest level the boy's frame or speed will allow. The three guys from the 2010 team were snapped up quickly by European teams because Dayton is D-1 football to them!

Other factors such as distance from home & friends could be a factor. Weather not so much - it's better than Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Detroit in winter.

My first look at UD football after learning of a commitment centered on the record of the team (and its old coach) of so many years. It was a well-kept secret in Ohio!
If they care about the other buildings on campus they will care about the field they play on and the stadium is an issue. Its old and ugly.. A smaller campus field would be much better. A stadium like Denisons would be great.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I am not a huge fan of Welcome Stadium, but there are far worse venues in the PFL. I have never been in the locker rooms. For a stadium that size to have small locker rooms is just silly. PLENTY of politics wrapped up in that place. Fighting with an urban, public school system is very difficult to say the least. UD is in a really odd position.... With the arena, baseball, softball, and practice football fields all over there, it is REALLY hard to justify building another stadium. On the other hand, my sense is that the DPS almost does not want to sell Welcome to UD because they resent UD's success while like most public, urban school districts, they fail miserably on most fronts, (just my outsider's opinion, I have no facts to back this up). I have no doubt that if UD is ever able to buy the stadium, the shortcomings would be addressed in short order. Frankly, in the long term it only makes sense that UD buy the stadium and DPS moves to another location, (maybe with assistance from UD). Easier said than done.... As for why recruits choose UD, I have been asking recruits and families that question for years. In my experience, academic reputation, combined with location are the two biggest factors. We have had players turn down the Ivy League because UD had a great academic program that they wanted AND their family could come and see them play. Try traveling from Western Ohio to the East Coast every weekend.... Do not underestimate the "community" at UD either.... This is an area where UD talks the talk and walks the walk.... You will hear time and again that kids and families chose UD because it "felt right". In my own daughter's case, she was primed to attend UD almost from birth. As a 17 year old, she had been there many times and was absolutely convinced that she would not attend. She applied and was accepted to multiple schools. We visited them all.... She agreed to a campus visit at UD just to shut her parents up. She went in with a determination not to be won over.... Well guess what, even with that attitude going in, her campus visit to UD blew her away. Compared to the other schools, UD was organized, efficient, FRIENDLY and welcoming. She was almost ashamed to admit to her dear old dad that she had chosen to become a Flyer.... She graduated in 2008 and she still describes it as the best experience of her life to date.... Sometimes we take the kid's comments about choosing Dayton over Drake for granted.... He too was won over by a campus visit. Drake won the PFL last year and has a much better stadium than UD in my opinion. Still, walk Drake's campus and walk UD's. Talk to random strangers on either campus and you will quickly understand why UD is unique and growing in reputation.

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 02-07-2012 at 11:00 AM..
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Always Proud (02-07-2012), Avid Flyer (02-16-2012), Charlie B (02-07-2012), chriscage (02-07-2012), Flyer Gramps (02-07-2012), MichiganFlyer60 (04-29-2012), PIONEER 8 (02-07-2012), proudpapa (02-09-2012), UACFlyer (02-07-2012), UD Sam (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 11:18 AM
1st Lieutenant

proudpapa will become famous soon enoughproudpapa will become famous soon enough
This is a great thread. I can tell you from our stand point and that of my son's that the reason that we chose UD was a combination of things. First and foremost it was the character of the coaching staff and all that we came into contact with. My son is quite spiritual and not Catholic. He had great reservations coming to UD and perceived that not being a Catholic would be a detriment. During his official visit, all doubts were put aside and he committed before we left that weekend. You really have a great coaching staff and the school attracts great kids.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there were plenty of other places that he could have went that would have been a better fit. His first school to recruit him was Princeton, then Liberty. Both in his wheelhouse. He could have went to many other places on a full ride. There are better teaching programs. There are schools that have nicer campuses. When it comes right down to it, we chose UD because they do it right. The character of the players is high. Academically UD is right up amongst the top in football All-Americans. I expect my son to be one and he well on his way. We thought that my son would get a chance to do some great things at UD and I hope that he does.

When it comes right down to it, it was the character of the institution, it's faculty, the coaches and the other players that made our decision. I can honestly say it was an easy decision. Again we made our commitment before we left that day and knew that it was the right one. Has he questioned it some days? Probably! He's away from home and doesn't have a lot in common with many folks. Have his mom and myself questioned the decision? Not one bit! UD is a great University and we have had good experiences every time we come up. He will soon have two academic years in and is doing very well.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to proudpapa For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (02-16-2012), Charlie B (02-07-2012), chriscage (02-07-2012), DetroitFlyer (02-07-2012), Flyer Gramps (02-07-2012), ud69 (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
Interesting topic (one of many on this Forum). I cannot say what makes most families decide between one school and another. I can only relate my personal experience and that of my two sons (all of us played college football). For each of us it really came down to doing some preliminary "sorting" where we looked at the geography of the schools as well as their academics and their football program. Once we went through that process it really came down to feel and where we each "felt" most comfortable with the school, the coaches and the other players. I personally wat not that impacted by the facilities as long as they were adequate. Both of my sons were more impacted by those things and quite frankly their initial choices were not as good of a fit as my initial choice. What I asked them both to decide in the end is where would you go to school if football were no longer an option? If that is the process for many recruits then UD will always do very well. The academics are fine, the campus is nice, the students and administration are friendly and welcoming and the coaching staff is great. If a player is looking for the most scholarship money, the highest profile program or the most modern facilities then UD may not be the top choice. The things that we could do to win over those kids who are on the fence would be to get more support out for the games (kids are very much influenced by the support that the team receives) and modernize the facilities to the extent possible. I think that the on campus facilities are very good and improving and Welcome is good enough given that it is not on campus. If the school could find a way to modernize and update the lockers that would be a big plus.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to PIONEER 8 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (02-07-2012), proudpapa (02-09-2012), UACFlyer (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 12:48 PM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Re the FB lockers...

Originally Posted by PIONEER 8 View Post
Interesting topic (one of many on this Forum). I cannot say what makes most families decide between one school and another. I can only relate my personal experience and that of my two sons (all of us played college football). For each of us it really came down to doing some preliminary "sorting" where we looked at the geography of the schools as well as their academics and their football program. Once we went through that process it really came down to feel and where we each "felt" most comfortable with the school, the coaches and the other players. I personally wat not that impacted by the facilities as long as they were adequate. Both of my sons were more impacted by those things and quite frankly their initial choices were not as good of a fit as my initial choice. What I asked them both to decide in the end is where would you go to school if football were no longer an option? If that is the process for many recruits then UD will always do very well. The academics are fine, the campus is nice, the students and administration are friendly and welcoming and the coaching staff is great. If a player is looking for the most scholarship money, the highest profile program or the most modern facilities then UD may not be the top choice. The things that we could do to win over those kids who are on the fence would be to get more support out for the games (kids are very much influenced by the support that the team receives) and modernize the facilities to the extent possible. I think that the on campus facilities are very good and improving and Welcome is good enough given that it is not on campus. If the school could find a way to modernize and update the lockers that would be a big plus.

I would like to know more about the lockers for the FB Flyers and visitors.

I thought that FB lockers were in the Donoher Center...I'm not sure where I got that notion. Right? Wrong? I presume that the visiting team uses lockers under the Welcome stands. Right? Wrong?

The fact that Welcome in part of the Arena complex is a good thing....as is the fact that the cost of improvements made to date as well as upkeep are shared by the City. Access and parking could not be better.

UD would not want to share new lockers with City HSs, it seems to me. If that is true, could UD construct a relatively small building for lockers near one of the end zones?

UD is in the early stages of planning for new Baujan lockers....and good facilities are clearly a priority. I would think that Mike Kelly would have influence if he felt that an investment in better FB facilities was an issue.

Whatever, all one has to do is look around to see that there is nothing shabby about UD...athletically and otherwise. Apparently UD feels that the FB facilities are adequate, at least.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Lieutenant General

DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Lockers....

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
I would like to know more about the lockers for the FB Flyers and visitors.

I thought that FB lockers were in the Donoher Center...I'm not sure where I got that notion. Right? Wrong? I presume that the visiting team uses lockers under the Welcome stands. Right? Wrong?

The fact that Welcome in part of the Arena complex is a good thing....as is the fact that the cost of improvements made to date as well as upkeep are shared by the City. Access and parking could not be better.

UD would not want to share new lockers with City HSs, it seems to me. If that is true, could UD construct a relatively small building for lockers near one of the end zones?

UD is in the early stages of planning for new Baujan lockers....and good facilities are clearly a priority. I would think that Mike Kelly would have influence if he felt that an investment in better FB facilities was an issue.

Whatever, all one has to do is look around to see that there is nothing shabby about UD...athletically and otherwise. Apparently UD feels that the FB facilities are adequate, at least.
It seems that I recall the players walking from the Arena over to Welcome Stadium BEFORE the games. Perhaps the locker room comment comes from half time? I do not remember the players heading back over to the arena at half time...? As for this comment: "UD would not want to share new lockers with City HSs, it seems to me. If that is true, could UD construct a relatively small building for lockers near one of the end zones?" My sense is that DPS has made it very clear that they do not want anything UD related at Welcome Stadium. If the visitor's lockers are sub-standard, I see that as a potential concern.... In the PFL, the traveling teams are about half of the home teams, so maybe the locker size is not as much of an issue?

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 02-07-2012 at 01:01 PM..
Old 02-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
FB Lockers are between practice field & game field

Football lockers are in the back of the arena building. They are nearly halfway between the grass practice field and Welcome stadium.

The locker room under the stadium is used for halftime and a brief after game meeting (they do not change or shower at Welcome).

Morehead State is where the whole team cannot get in for a halftime meeting. About 10 sophs sit on a block wall under the stadium while the rest are inside...and that's just the 56-man travel team!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:30 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
DPS and UD

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
It seems that I recall the players walking from the Arena over to Welcome Stadium BEFORE the games. Perhaps the locker room comment comes from half time? I do not remember the players heading back over to the arena at half time...? As for this comment: "UD would not want to share new lockers with City HSs, it seems to me. If that is true, could UD construct a relatively small building for lockers near one of the end zones?" My sense is that DPS has made it very clear that they do not want anything UD related at Welcome Stadium. If the visitor's lockers are sub-standard, I see that as a potential concern.... In the PFL, the traveling teams are about half of the home teams, so maybe the locker size is not as much of an issue?

For quite some time I've been hearing about what sounds like a hostile relationship between UD and the DPS, which is the City, essentially. I can't help but wonder if the hostility is imagined rather than real.

Why would there be friction between UD and the school system, an extension of the City itself? Both UD and DPS benefit by sharing costs. And surely the City leaders must recognize that in these troubled economic times UD is the City's crown jewel. Imagine the void left by NCR absent UD's aggressive approach to redevelopment of the South side of Dayton. Without UD there would be no GE R&D center...an empty NCR HQ building and...and 50 acres of undeveloped land from Brown to the River.

There is every reason for the City and its institutions (DPS) to recognize and appreciate the vital and expanding role of UD as regards the health of the City. A hostile relationship between any City unit and UD makes absolutely no sense. There may be issues from time to time concerning Welcome since the interests of DPS and UD do not overlap 100%. But, I seriously doubt that the long-term relationship that exists between DPS and UD would have survived if there were any significant, fundamental conflicts.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:41 PM
1st Lieutenant

Always Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of light
The locker room I've referenced is in regards to the stadium. The one at the arena is not the concern. I realize it is what it is. But in my opinion, if during game day they can dress, meet, shower, etc. at the stadium it would be nice. I'm not a UD player so maybe I'm wrong. I can only state my opinion on what I was used to in high school and college. I would be curious if the visitor locker room is any larger than our side. If I'm not mistaken, that used to be the home side until they added the press box.

It appears most of the responses, if not all, mention the campus environment / atmosphere and size. A article in the Flyer news http://www.flyernews.com/articles/id/7342 mentioned how the campus is growing too much. With the NCR expansion, the GE building, etc. it will soon no longer be a 5-10 minute walk across campus. I know this year alone they had 10,000 freshmen applicants for 2,500 openings. So obviously the welcome feeling extends being the stadium. Maybe it isn't about bricks and mortar and goes deeper into the human aspect. I can live with that.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:02 PM

No enrollment growth...

Originally Posted by Always Proud View Post
The locker room I've referenced is in regards to the stadium. The one at the arena is not the concern. I realize it is what it is. But in my opinion, if during game day they can dress, meet, shower, etc. at the stadium it would be nice. I'm not a UD player so maybe I'm wrong. I can only state my opinion on what I was used to in high school and college. I would be curious if the visitor locker room is any larger than our side. If I'm not mistaken, that used to be the home side until they added the press box.

It appears most of the responses, if not all, mention the campus environment / atmosphere and size. A article in the Flyer news http://www.flyernews.com/articles/id/7342 mentioned how the campus is growing too much. With the NCR expansion, the GE building, etc. it will soon no longer be a 5-10 minute walk across campus. I know this year alone they had 10,000 freshmen applicants for 2,500 openings. So obviously the welcome feeling extends being the stadium. Maybe it isn't about bricks and mortar and goes deeper into the human aspect. I can live with that.
The opinions expressed in the Flyer News piece are those of students...uninformed students. Like most private schools UD is in a position to target its enrollment...and the administration has made clear that the goal is 7000-7500 undergrads and as close to 1800-2000 freshman as they can get. Of course, with over 12,000 applications, the big uncertainty every year is the size of the freshman class. The ideal size is one that fills all the beds allocated to undergrads....allowing a bit for retention loss. No private school wants to have unused beds....nor do they want to have 100+ freshmen with no beds. Schools are pretty good at and certainly experienced managing enrollment...but it's not an exact science.

Moreover, there are competing forces in play: Schools know the HS population and whether its going up or down.....they know their "yield", i.e., the fraction of those admitted that will decide on UD; and they understand the impact of economic factors on private schools. In spite of that, the size of the freshman class is always uncertain.......and is affected by UD's steadily improving reputation.

As for the campus growing to an undesirable level....nonsense. UD is absolutely tiny for a school having 11,000+ students....within the core campus the buildings are practically on top of one another.....there is barely room for the chapel expansion because of the proximity of nearby buildings.

What UD desperately needed was space...and now we have it....and it's being used intelligently.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (02-12-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Lieutenant General

UD is looking to expand the

graduate schools. Grad students are of course different than undergrads. It seems reasonable that UD could expand the graduate schools without much of an impact on the current undergrad experience. When I was UD in the early 80's, (seems like yesterday), my friends and I WALKED over to Welcome Stadium and the Arena. Yes, there were busses, but most times we just decided to walk. Not once do I remember thinking that this was a great distance. Even in February in the snow and cold, it did not seem that bad. Granted, we did take the busses more often in the dead of winter.... Walking from the apartments on Stewart Street over to Campus South also did not seem that far and we did it on a routine basis.... Maybe even a stop or two in the Ghetto was in order on the way there or back.... UD knows what makes the school special, they will not lose that as the campus "expands". Speaking of graduate programs, I saw a job posting for a Dean to head up a new Physicans Assistant program! Another step toward the possibility of a medical school in UD's future?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:05 PM

Are you sure, DF?

graduate schools. Grad students are of course different than undergrads. It seems reasonable that UD could expand the graduate schools without much of an impact on the current undergrad experience. When I was UD in the early 80's, (seems like yesterday), my friends and I WALKED over to Welcome Stadium and the Arena. Yes, there were busses, but most times we just decided to walk. Not once do I remember thinking that this was a great distance. Even in February in the snow and cold, it did not seem that bad. Granted, we did take the busses more often in the dead of winter.... Walking from the apartments on Stewart Street over to Campus South also did not seem that far and we did it on a routine basis.... Maybe even a stop or two in the Ghetto was in order on the way there or back.... UD knows what makes the school special, they will not lose that as the campus "expands". Speaking of graduate programs, I saw a job posting for a Dean to head up a new Physicans Assistant program! Another step toward the possibility of a medical school in UD's future?
Re a UD PA program....a new start-up program wouldn't merit a dean. Our doctor of physical therapy program is just that, a "program" withing the School of Education. Are you sure the posting was a UD posting...and for a "dean"?

As for a UD med school....a million to one against...cost prohibitive unless there was an acute shortage of MDs in Ohio and hospitals subsidized a new school. But, with WSU having a med school right in our back yard, not likely.

Very, very few Catholic schools have med programs....I doubt if the number is as high as five.

(I would love to see UD doing more in the medical/life sciences though, as a complement to our strong physical sciences/engineering programs. That would open access to the tons of research money doled out by the NIH.)
Old 02-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Lieutenant General

Yep - Not a Dean but...

impressive title nontheless:

"Founding Department Chair & Director of Master of Physician Assistant Program"
Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 09:46 AM

The important thing is not the title,...

impressive title nontheless:

"Founding Department Chair & Director of Master of Physician Assistant Program"
....But that UD is initiating the new program. Very interesting, indeed. I wonder why it hasn't been publicized....and I'm curious as to how a school without a med school goes about this. Perhaps by way of an affiliation with a local hospital.

Thanks, DF.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think the relationship with the city of Dayton or DPS is all that bad. My understanding why DPS won't sell Welcome to UD is with the Welcome family. Had heard that the DPS had a new site for building a new stadium for HS in the DPS. There was some talk regarding UD buying Welcome but met with objections from the Welcome family.

For the life of me I don't understand why DPS can't build their new stadium and still call it Welcome Stadium. Not sure what all the objections are from the Welcome family that couldn't be worked out.

I also think UD did not want to purchase the stadium too early when their were state funds available for repairs and upgrades to the stadium. As a private institution UD would not be able to get those state funds.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 10:22 AM

I think it's a good deal for UD...

....to have someone else share the cost.

If UD ever comes to think that a new locker building is required, or some other expense that DPS doesn't need, even that can be worked out. If DPS decides to build a new stadium elsewhere (unlikely), and doesn't want the Welcome name, I doubt if UD would object to committing to retain the WS name on its stadium.

Seems to me that all parties are pretty content with things as is.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Academy Doolie

ICDWS is on a distinguished road
Why we chose UD? Perhaps it was UD that chose us. After many months of contact, camps, visits, calls, promises, letters, more calls, more promises, progress reports and finally broken promises, it was the UD coaches that persevered. The visit sealed the deal. The UD community feel, spiritual opportunities and facilities carried the day. UD is getting a significant player and leader. For us it was the best match.

Now about this stadium? What are chances of building one on campus. This was mentioned several times on the visit. Welcome Stadium looks very sterile. Only problem with FCS level football is attendance. A small, on campus stadium would solve that issue.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ICDWS For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (03-07-2012), jmitch (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 PM

very little wrong with Welcome Stadium

Originally Posted by ICDWS View Post
Why we chose UD? Perhaps it was UD that chose us. After many months of contact, camps, visits, calls, promises, letters, more calls, more promises, progress reports and finally broken promises, it was the UD coaches that persevered. The visit sealed the deal. The UD community feel, spiritual opportunities and facilities carried the day. UD is getting a significant player and leader. For us it was the best match.

Now about this stadium? What are chances of building one on campus. This was mentioned several times on the visit. Welcome Stadium looks very sterile. Only problem with FCS level football is attendance. A small, on campus stadium would solve that issue.
1. The chances of building one "on campus" are zero. WS is on campus. UD's campus stretches about a mile from the historic core to the sports complex.

2. A few million have just been spent to upgrade WS.

3. FCS level FB is poorly attended at all but a few schools. A new stadium would not change that.

4. To the extent that the "atmosphere" at WS could be improved....it would take very little additional money to do that.

Bottom line: UD's athletics facilities are exceptional compared to its peers....with improvements on-going.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Academy Doolie

Not arguing just stating what was told to us. FCS football is the most overlooked and underappreciated sport going. Pioneer, Patriot, MVS, Ivy these conferences feature exceptional weekly contests by the last true student-athletes. A little PR, some TV exposure and energy put into the production and FCS could garner some viewers. Versus Network carries an Ivy League Game of the Week. I am uncertain if there is regular Pioneer coverage.
Mad Props to ICDWS For This Totally Excellent Post:
chriscage (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Lieutenant General

Do not let

UAC's summations throw you. There are plenty of UD fans that are not fans of Welcome Stadium. I have been following the Flyers since 1980. So my entire fan hood has involved Welcome Stadium. When I was at UD from 1980-84, Baujan Field was a dumpy intramural field. What was left of the football stands was crumbling and unsafe. Frankly, it was hard to imagine a decent football stadium at the location. Welcome is at best serviceable. It is squarely owned by the Dayton Public Schools and any hint of UD being involved has always been and remains minimal at best. As for an "on campus" stadium, I do not see it happening. What might happen is that stands could be build at the new Stewart Field location. There is enough field turf there to lay out a football field. I could see something like that happening for maybe a special game every year. I doubt, however, that we would ever move there permanently.... Many of us think that the best solution is for DPS to sell Welcome to UD. No doubt that UD could turn it into a true college venue in no time.... Sadly, I think that there are simply too many politics wrapped up in that solution. I think it will happen eventually, but as I said, I have been waiting over 30 years....

By the way, many cool old photographs here:

http://digital.udayton.edu/cdm-archi...CISOSTART=1,21
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1925 Baujan Field Football.jpg (139.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 03-07-2012 at 03:53 PM..
chriscage (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Colonel

Baujan Blimp

Nice photo Motor City Guy! That was either the Bridgestone blimps camera or Orville fooling around!!

Love it! TV must not have been "on" in '25! What time was tOSU playing? Were not the women's varsity teams playing that day? Didn't the students on campus go driving their cars somewhere that day? What about front lawn grilling in the Ghetto? Seems that so many just went to that game instead.

Nice job putting it in a thumbnail...something you young Geeks understand about this internet.

Now, got to go, nearly time for the evening radio news!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Academy Doolie

Awesome photos. Somehow these games have to be better attended. there must be some way to get the UD students there?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
Love the pictures and thanks for putting them up. However, the past is the past. I would love it if UD had a more central location for a sadium and I think it would help attendance some. I also think that it would help if we could buy Welcome and put more of a UD spin on it. Problem is that in my opinion FCS football and even FBS football to an extent is never going to be what it was. There are just too many choices now for people in the community to make hopping in the car and driving to the game what it once was. When you can watch 8 games on any Saturday including Alabama/LSU or Stanford/USC plus the Buckeyes and whoever they are playing it makes it less likely that you go down to Welcome to watch UD and Butler. I wish it were not so but even 2/3 of the FBS bowl games are half empty these days. It is not a UD problem it is a college football problem. The best UD can do is put a good product on the field and create some excitement about the team and make it a point of pride for the school and the community. If we do that, the attendance will increase and the atmosphere will improve but we still won't see crowds like that EKU game from 1967. I don't like being negative so I will now shut up on the subject.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 PM

Thanked 17,145 Times in 5,115 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the forums ICDWS!

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 03-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Academy Doolie

P-8, I hear what you are saying. The quest becomes to make the product unique, so people feel they are missing something if they dont go. I dont' know, maybe night games or 5:00pm starts with tailgate party before? The seating area needs to be condensed to create a sense of excitement from a smaller number of people. Not sure the exact answer. Perhpas I should actually see one game at WS before I make a total idiot of myself!
Mad Props to ICDWS For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Academy Doolie

Hey thanks guys..How do I officially thank someone? I dont want to seem like an ingrate!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ICDWS For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (03-07-2012), DetroitFlyer (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanks button

Hey thanks guys..How do I officially thank someone? I dont want to seem like an ingrate!
Normally there is a "thanks" button undet the post on the right hand side. Just hit the button.
ICDWS (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Captain

P-8, I hear what you are saying. The quest becomes to make the product unique, so people feel they are missing something if they dont go. I dont' know, maybe night games or 5:00pm starts with tailgate party before? The seating area needs to be condensed to create a sense of excitement from a smaller number of people. Not sure the exact answer. Perhpas I should actually see one game at WS before I make a total idiot of myself!
I think that a tailgate or something in the parking lot near the stadium before or after the game would be a nice touch. It would really be nice if there were something after the games and the coaches and players were invited and provided with food after the games. That would give them a chance after they shower (not sure I would want to be close to them after the game and before they shower) to get to mingle with the fans and parents. I think it would be a nice touch and would help foster a sense of community. It seems to me that the football boosters could raise some money (shouldn't be that expensive to provide hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, water, Gator Aide,...) and then charge a small addmission fee to the parents and fans (coaches and players eat free).
Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Lieutenant General

The Flyers Club has a tailgate before the game. Look for the flag. For $5.00 you get all the hot dogs, brats, and metts you can eat. Beverages, pop and a hops based beverage, are also provided.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Academy Doolie

P-8 I like that idea. Our older son plays in college out east and post-game tends to be awkward. The families would like a place to go together, calm down, let loose, get to know each other. Having a recognized place to go be it a giant tent or something, would be a relief.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 PM

I've told this story so many times on UDPride...

....but no one remembers.

Back in the `50s before there was FBS, FCS, Div 1A, Div 1AA, etc., Villanova (a team like UD at the time) gave away tickets through a local super market chain, ACME markets, as I recall.

The game was against either Mississippi or Mississppi State and was played at the stadium in south Philly where the Army-Navy game was played each year. Well over 50,000 fans showed up.

If fannies in the seats is what you want...it's easy. Give out about 20,000-30,000 TX through Krogers, e.g., four TX for orders over $50....whatever formula is required to get rid of 20,000-30,000 TX.

For certain, a few thousand of those TX will be used. After a little experimentation it soon will be determined what percentage of the TX are used. It might be 5%, 10%, or whatever. A safety margin is built in in the beginning to be sure that more people don't show up than can be seated.

Start small. If average attendance is usually 2500...see what it takes to get 5000 people at WS. In one season UD could determine how many TX to give away to average about 7000-8000 for a game. That number of people in WS, having a capacity of 11,000, would create a very nice game-day atmospehere. Some fraction would find that they really like it and will come back. And UD would net about $2 a head on concessions.

Considering how simple approaches like this are, the fact that UD hasn't tried something like this tells me one thing. It doesn't matter to UD that only 2500 show up for games. UD is satisfied with the FB program as is.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If they moved the football games back to Baujan the students would turn out a plenty. Right in walking distance from dorms, classrooms etc. Of course the real kicker would be playing common opponents we are familiar with. but that is light years away. X, SLU, Marquette fans are all for it but its the admin holding it back. BTW X and Marquette have club teams that could be easily upgraded to PFL type teams.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 PM

Easily upgraded?

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
If they moved the football games back to Baujan the students would turn out a plenty. Right in walking distance from dorms, classrooms etc. Of course the real kicker would be playing common opponents we are familiar with. but that is light years away. X, SLU, Marquette fans are all for it but its the admin holding it back. BTW X and Marquette have club teams that could be easily upgraded to PFL type teams.
If the club teams could be easily upgraded they would be upgraded. It would take a few million is start-up costs and about a million a year thereafter to upgrade from club to PFL-type FB.

As for UD, there is a clear, sensible strategy: Invest in the five sports for which UD can compete with the best at the national level....men's/women's BB and soccer, and volleyball. Baujan is the soccer venue....investment in Baujan has been made and there is more to come in the relatively near future.

That is not going to be sacrificed for football.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ICDWS (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Captain

The Flyers Club has a tailgate before the game. Look for the flag. For $5.00 you get all the hot dogs, brats, and metts you can eat. Beverages, pop and a hops based beverage, are also provided.
Thanks. I have seen the flag when I am running into the stadium late but never stopped to investigate. I will make a point to do that this season. Any possibility about holding it over after the game and feeding the team and coaches?
Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Lieutenant General

Good Question

Originally Posted by PIONEER 8 View Post
Thanks. I have seen the flag when I am running into the stadium late but never stopped to investigate. I will make a point to do that this season. Any possibility about holding it over after the game and feeding the team and coaches?
I do not know if that idea has ever come up before. I am always moving fast to make the 3.5 hour drive back to Detroit, so I do not hang around after the games very often. My son, (non-football player), will be a freshman next year so I will have more reasons to stick around. I am kind of a remote Flyers Club member, but next time I am talking with club members, (probably in August at the picture day), I'll bring it up....
PIONEER 8 (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Academy Doolie

The post-game works for us as well. Meeting the kids after the game and then getting to the meet parents and families is what this is all about. My older son is super tight with his team mates. Having a place to go after the game even just for a drink or two would be most helpful.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
With all due respect

a post game tailgate is not likely to happen--ever. Flyers Club members arrive several hours before the game to set up the grill and start cooking. I don't think any of them will want to sacrifice attending the actual games to have food ready for the entire football team AND their families. Plus the costs and the not knowing how much food to buy would be difficult to predict for the varying amount of people each week. Just from working the family/picture day each year, we see how much food and drink it takes to feed the team and families. Flyers Club is not set up to accommodate that many people that many times per year. While it would be nice, I just don't think it could work.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Academy Doolie

Well it gives us out of towners something to create then. Most homes games we will be staying over saturday night so we will be chillin post game anyway. may as well do it with other Flyer families.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
Well it gives us out of towners something to create then. Most homes games we will be staying over saturday night so we will be chillin post game anyway. may as well do it with other Flyer families.
The friends and families of the players always gather just outside Welcome Stadium to wait for the players to come out. They linger around for quite awhile. Most games, the drummers in the band will treat everyone to some awesome drum beats while they wait. I look forward to meeting all the new parents this year. If you make it down for the family picnic in August, come say "hi". I'll be the lady handing out drinks in UD Arena, and making my kids fill cups with ice. They are too short to do anything else. LOL!
Mad Props to smitch425 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ICDWS (03-09-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Captain

jmitch will become famous soon enoughjmitch will become famous soon enough
Nice article on what the Football Flyers were doing this weekend...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...y-1367590.html
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jmitch For This Totally Excellent Post:
chriscage (04-29-2012), DetroitFlyer (04-29-2012), Flyer Gramps (04-29-2012), ICDWS (04-30-2012), MichiganFlyer60 (04-29-2012), ud69 (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 01:08 PM
1st Lieutenant

MichiganFlyer60 is on a distinguished road
Flying Right
Mad Props to MichiganFlyer60 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (04-29-2012)