Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 AM
1st Lieutenant

MichiganFlyer60 is on a distinguished road
Red white game

So what do we think from what we saw yesterday?
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I was going to ask that same question. I can start:

Running looked very good.

QB situation appears to be very unsettled.

Defense looks promising.

Kicking OK, but hard to tell for sure with the wind.

It is hard to tell in real time what is good and not so good. I was focused mainly on the QB's, so I had a hard time following the defense. The way the teams were split also makes it hard to tell how a full team of starters would perform.

My general impression is that we need a ton of work with the QB's. If we are going to win next year, the starter must perform at a Kevin Hoyng / Steve Valentino level. I think all three QB's are great athletes, so the scrambling / running thing should be OK. We really need to be able to complete passes on a regular basis. Receivers did not look too bad. I did not see Ross Smith. Was he there?

Incoming recruits looked good. Nice size and they looked like athletic big men.

Weather was terrible. Felt like a December game....

Oh, I hope that we can that shovel pass play. That thing just looks like a turnover waiting to happen.
Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Academy Doolie

ICDWS is on a distinguished road
The Flyer Red v. Flyer White game was cold, but fun! Our impressions were team speed is significant. The defense was ahead of the offense and flys to the ball. Very mobile attack. QB unsettled, RB is a stud. All members of the team appeared to enjoy themselves.

The Big Brother ceremony was lots of laughs and shows the families how clsoe these guys are. For our incoming player, he cant wait for Auguts 6, 2012.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ICDWS For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (04-23-2012), Flyer Gramps (04-23-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
My general impression was that the QB play was not up to par but the WR play looked pretty good. I thought they has some good speed and made some nice catches. However, the QB play may have been a little deceptive based on how the strength of the line and the DB play was allocated. By that it seemed to me that 9 and 10 both looked pretty good in the first half but 10 did not do as well in the second half when he switched from the red to the white team. I also noticed after the game that there were several DBs on the white team that did not play because of injury and two of them were expected starters. Finally, the red team seemed to have a much better running game even after Harris went out in the first half. While I don't know much about the allocation of the teams, when I put all of that together it makes me think that maybe the red team had a little better line and better DBs. If that is the case then the fact the 9 looked better than the other two may say more about his playing for the red than it says anything negative about the other two. In any event, we are going to need much better QB play in the fall if we are going to succeed at the level we expect.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Captain

Scout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura about
2 comments, I think we have a serious QB problem and according to Coach Chamberlin.....he stated on the radio that Coach Fox commented prior to the game that the White team was more stacked in the defensive side than the red team . So it would seem defensively the white team wasn't ready ....certainly not for Taylor.

Last edited by Scout86; 04-24-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Old 04-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
I didn't hear the broadcast so you have one up on me there. But if the white was stacked in the secondary that was before they decided not to play Pfleger and Welsh. I assume that remove two captains/starting DBs from your lineup weakens you a little. I am not making excuses for the QBs and hopefully the best player will start (regardless of experience last season). I was just offering some observations after having been at the game.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Captain

Scout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura about
I'm with you I was at the game as well......I hope that during the summer months that Bardo works on his timing and mechanics of his throws!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 AM
1st Lieutenant

MichiganFlyer60 is on a distinguished road
The QB's all played with the ones, twos and threes I think. The play and execution was better early as the ones were in. What you might not notice are routes run incorrectly (two receivers in the same area etc..). I thought the mix between pass and run was weighted on the pass. If you recall last year we didnt run a very vertical offense. it was more west coast with dumps, check downs and tuck and runs. There are many reasons why including the play calling.

Switching to a new offensive scheme will always put more pressure on the QB's to read and react. I'm confident that the QB's will come around in this area with more study. They are all bright kids. Execution of the offense is obviously more physical. This offense will be challenged if we cant throw seams, deep digs and shots over the top to make room for #5. That should be the deciding factor in PT for #3,9 or 10.

It was good to see a nice crowd, even a few students out last Saturday. I'm glad my kid is a Flyer.

Fly Right
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MichiganFlyer60 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (04-25-2012), ICDWS (04-26-2012), PIONEER 8 (04-25-2012), ud69 (04-25-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Nice

Originally Posted by MichiganFlyer60 View Post
The QB's all played with the ones, twos and threes I think. The play and execution was better early as the ones were in. What you might not notice are routes run incorrectly (two receivers in the same area etc..). I thought the mix between pass and run was weighted on the pass. If you recall last year we didnt run a very vertical offense. it was more west coast with dumps, check downs and tuck and runs. There are many reasons why including the play calling.

Switching to a new offensive scheme will always put more pressure on the QB's to read and react. I'm confident that the QB's will come around in this area with more study. They are all bright kids. Execution of the offense is obviously more physical. This offense will be challenged if we cant throw seams, deep digs and shots over the top to make room for #5. That should be the deciding factor in PT for #3,9 or 10.

It was good to see a nice crowd, even a few students out last Saturday. I'm glad my kid is a Flyer.

Fly Right
insight. We are glad you son is a Flyer as well!
Old 04-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Captain

jmitch will become famous soon enoughjmitch will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PIONEER 8 View Post
I didn't hear the broadcast so you have one up on me there. But if the white was stacked in the secondary that was before they decided not to play Pfleger and Welsh. I assume that remove two captains/starting DBs from your lineup weakens you a little. I am not making excuses for the QBs and hopefully the best player will start (regardless of experience last season). I was just offering some observations after having been at the game.
I just wanted to point out that Matt Pfleger did play. He changed his uniform number this year to 21. The roster still had him listed at 46.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Captain

jmitch will become famous soon enoughjmitch will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
Receivers did not look too bad. I did not see Ross Smith. Was he there?
Looks like the 2012 roster is out. Ross Smith is still listed on the roster as #8.http://daytonflyers.com/mens/football/roster/
Mad Props to jmitch For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
These reports do not exude confidence. If we need a Hoying or Tino type performance from our QB's we could be in a wee bit of trouble. Another 6-5 or 7-4 season could be in the offing. Our first four games will be real tests.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
Looks like the 2012 roster is out. Ross Smith is still listed on the roster as #8.http://daytonflyers.com/mens/football/roster/
A few of the players switched numbers. Looks like Brandon Johnson went from 81 to 1 and Ross Smith went from 80 to 8, among others.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Captain

I also noticed their heights and weights are last years numbers.