Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Parallels
Parallels
Published by Swampy Meadows
03-29-2011
Parallels

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- We’ve seen this movie before:

The coach waits until after his team has been eliminated in the first round of the post-season by a higher seeded opponent

And until his landmark local recruit has completed his 4 year career at UD

He then suddenly announces that he is leaving Dayton to take over a struggling program in the powerful Atlantic Coast Conference

Eight years ago it was Oliver Purnell.

Yesterday it was Brian Gregory.

And while the circumstances surrounding their departures are eerily similar, the atmosphere in Flyerland in the aftermath is decidedly different.

When OP hitched his horse and headed south, the overwhelming mood was one of thanks for having brought a moribund basketball program back to life locally and relevancy nationally.

At the time, I wrote:

“OP has been an outstanding coach who ran a clean program -- class individual and an absolute credit to the university. We should all thank him and wish him well.

I never met Coach Purnell. I only admired his handiwork from 225 miles up I-75 and got to write about it occasionally here on UDPride.com. I appreciate all that he did to restore my pride in being a Flyer.”

Today the vocal minority that was the “Fire BG” crowd is rejoicing although, I’m still encamped in the “be careful what you wish for” school of thought.

Why?

UD just lost its head coach

Two of the Flyers’ prized recruits have hit the highway

2011 recruits LaDontae Henton and Percy Gibson now have an out-clause from their LOI, should they choose to exercise it

That’s a whole lotta shakin’ goin’ on right there.

Unlike OP, I got to know BG a little bit. Had the opportunity to cover a few of the games in-person. Got to know some of the players.

So what do I think? I believe BG is in the same boat we are. The name of the ship we have all boarded?

“Uncertainty”

I wish BG good luck because I think he’s gonna need it. Maybe more than we do.

As Tim Wabler makes the decision that will shape the Flyer program for the next decade, ponder this:

You can count the number of Flyer head basketball coaches in the last sixty years on one hand:

Blackburn

Donoher

O’Brien

Purnell

Gregory

Five guys.

Six decades.

Few (if any) schools can make such a claim.

I’m gonna tell Tim Wabler the same thing that I wrote eight years ago when Ted Kissell faced the identical challenge:

Let’s go find the best basketball coach in America.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By GetFlyeredup on 03-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Every reason you stated that causes you worry is due to BG. BG chose to take the Georgia Tech job. BG's stubbornness drove away Staten and Spearman. BG has caused the incoming freshmen to doubt whether to come to UD. I fail to see how this will be the fault of whoever UD hires to replace BG.
By The Fat Tuna on 03-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Xavier has had 3 different coaches in 8 years alone. Would you rather have their results over the past 20 years or UD's?
By TommyGola on 03-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Swampy: You make it sound like "we the alumni and fans" are the cause of BG's leaving. BG initiated this change; he broke his contract; he was the coach of the two players who left. Swampy, BG did that...no one else.
By Swampy Meadows on 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Tommy:

I totally agree. Both guys left of their own volition. I never said otherwise. I'm just saying just because BG is gone, we ain't out of the woods yet.
By TommyGola on 03-29-2011, 03:11 PM
That's true, Swampy. We aren't out of the woods yet. We have an opportunity to bag a new coach and four new players, including the two promising kids from your neck of the woods. I look forward to the future and I am sure you do as well. No doubt there will be a transition, but I think that was in the cards anyway.
By UACFlyer on 03-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Uneasy as well...

I, too, am uneasy about a coaching change. Change is always disruptive.

Having said that, except for a glorious two week run in the NIT last year, there was a malaise associated with the Flyers over recent seasons. Something just seemed not to be right...the team performed well below expectations and ability.

One could not watch the Flyers and fail to sense that. While the Staten affair brought matters to a head, apparently, it just seemed as if something else was wrong.

Because of that it's understandable that people look at the coach. He is the guy ultimately responsible for all aspects of the team....all aspects.. Any one season can be characterized by hard times, bad breaks, etc. But when a pattern develops, as it seems to have at UD, it's usually more than that.

Sometimes a change is bensficial to all.

Good luck to BG....good luck to Tim...good luck to the Flyers.
By Swampy Meadows on 04-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Well UACFlyer, it looks like you and I and the rest of ther restless can relax--mission accomplished.

Well played, Wabler!
Comment

Article Tools