Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
How About 4 Flyers Playing in Europe!

And Now there are 4 Flyers from 2010 Team Playing in Europe

Don’t close the file on that 2010 Co-Championship Dayton football team just yet. Last week an unheralded member of five Flyer seasons stepped off his international flight in Europe and onto the roster of the Reggio Emilia Hogs in Italy. The story was brief, the experience will be brief (only two games remained) but the memory will carry on for a lifetime.

Former DE, later TE, #45, Alex Johnston joined his friend and became a teammate again with Devon Langhorst. The article in Italy said his arrival would give an added weapon for the coach. Nothing in Social Media about this so we’ll just have to enjoy the UD story about Alex Johnston, a TE who followed in his father’s footsteps but on a team that does not use TE formations.

Alex Johnston was DB in high school at Gaithersburg, MD. His father played with Coach Chamberlin at UD. Alex arrived in 2007 and red-shirted that season. His weight training added 30 lbs. and resulted in a move to DE. His story has little in the way of stats but much in the form of dedication and love of football. Dayton was privileged to have had Alex Johnston for five years.

In 2008, Alex’s first season with playing time, he participated in 3 games and had one tackle. His buddy Langhorst did much better, he had two tackles & two assists. These are the seasons of sport the usual fan might never ponder or appreciate. The players were undaunted and Johnston accepted a move to TE in 2009 and caught one pass in the spread/running-QB offense. In the 2010 season, Alex Johnston had one reception and one tackle. As a senior, he played in all 11 games and had another pass reception.

I’ve heard both Coach Chamberlin and Coach Kelly talk with affection about Alex’s play and determination on radio airtime. In one paragraph we have his playing history. But now we have the most unlikely player of 2010 playing football in Europe. What a memory this should make for him! Get a tackle or reception in Italy Alex, you earned it!

DAYTON COMES FROM ALEXANDER JOHNSTON

Langhorst called reinforcements to play all out with the Hogs: playoff goal.
To get the chance is only one: win the next two games, and to face the arduous task the Hogs rely on Alexander Johnston, a college friend of Devon Langhorst.
Dayton comes from the TE / SS who will provide coaching Cattini and Rossi will have one more weapon to tackle the first obstacle: the Bolzano Giants coming Saturday night at Torelli Scandiano in a crucial step for the race to play off.

.....No..................................Birth.... Pos........Ht....Wt.
# 45 ALEXANDER JOHNSTON 1989 ..TE / SS.. 100 188
..# 11 Langhorst DEVON ........1988 ... DE...... 104 192

Click his name for photograph.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (05-21-2012), jmitch (05-22-2012), jpk4ud (05-21-2012)
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, what a great story! You can just about imagine the process. Devon talking to coaches in Italy.... We really need another solid all-rounder. Do any of you Yanks know someone? Devon: Light bulb goes off.... Yeah, coach, I know the perfect person. Phone rings about 10:00 PM in the USA, (Devon calling about 4:00 PM Italy time). Hello? Hey Alex, Devin.... How would you like to play some professional football here in Italy? Alex: Huh? Devon: I'm serious man, we need another all-rounder to try and make the playoffs and the owner and coaches want you to come over! Alex: Holy cow, well I am having a hard time finding a good job, so yeah what the heck, I'm in. Who do I contact?
Devon: Call this number. Alex: By the way, how much will I get paid? Devon: WE PLAY FOR PIZZA!!!!! Alex: Sweet, I like Pizza.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Charlie B (05-21-2012), Flyer Gramps (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

moville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant future
Got to set the record straight . . . Alex played HS ball at historic Gonzaga High School on Capitol Hill, one of the oldest Jesuit high schools in the country. I think his hometown is Gaithersburg. My kid went to Gonzaga and that's why I kept up with Alex's progress.

In any event, great for the kid to get to go to Europe and put on a uniform.
Mad Props to moville For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (05-22-2012)