Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-27-2016, 10:22 AM
Captain

PittsburghFlyer is on a distinguished road
Central State

The first game of the year against Central State is one week away! Not much information on CSU but we know they were 5-5 last year, hailing from the Division 2 Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC). Looking at their roster, they have a lot of transfer players (24 in total). The most significant one I believe is a Sr tailback who last season played at FCS Southeast Missouri, De'Michael Jackson. His best year was 2013 were he rushed for nearly 1,000 yards. I pulled up some film on him and he is a very good runner. I believe CSU runs a triple option attack, operating with two wing backs and a single set back. Last year, they had 13 rushing TDs to 6 passing TDs. Definitely are a run first team. They kind of remind me of Kennesaw State on last year’s schedule.

Being the first game of the year, this will give us a good idea of our squad in 2016. We will have to play assignment football on defense to effectively negate their option attack. On offense, I think we have a bunch of weapons and am curious to see how we attack the CSU defense. Looking forward to opening day for the Flyers and the excitement of the start of a new season. GO DAYTON FLYERS!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to PittsburghFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (08-27-2016), NEOFlyer (08-27-2016), PIONEER 8 (08-29-2016)
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2016, 06:27 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
I am also excited to get the season going. Seems to me the two major concerns are the untested receivers and new safeties. Camp seems to have built some confidence in the receivers and helped by a rapidly maturing returning QB. Central State, being a run heavy offense, will be a good game to get the safeties some reps and confidence.

The long range weather forecast looks very good, too.

Go Flyers!!!
Old 08-28-2016, 01:03 AM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
I was going start a thread next week on the Marauders, but since Pitt beat me to it, I'll just add-on here.

1. Team Composition: The Marauder's have a comparatively small roster with only 60 players listed. They also appear to be a fairly young team having graduated a number of seniors from last year's team. In fact, several position groups seem to be dominated by underclassmen. Most notably, the Marauders list only 8 offensive lineman, with 5 of those 8 being FR. Same story on D, with 4 of the 8 DL being either FR or SO. It would appear that the Flyers' experience and depth will be a significant advantage.

2. Offense: Pitt's characterization of the Marauder's as "run first" is almost underselling the point. They ran the ball more than twice as often as they threw it last year (427 rushes v. 203 passes). On those rare occasions when they did air it out, their efficiency was shockingly low (39% completion). The X-factor for the Marauders will be the SR transfer RB, De'Michael Jackson. Based on video, he looked very quick and explosive against good FCS competition in the OVC. He is, however, coming off of an ACL tear that ended his season after only 3 games last year. In any event, the Flyers will have to be prepared for a relentless running attack, with the occasional play-action pass. As Pitt suggests, our experience with Kennesaw St. last year will be valuable.

3. Defense: The Marauders seem to be a good defensive team, having given up only 18 pts/game last year. I suspect, however, that some of that is attributable to the fact that they run the ball so much on offense and there are simply fewer possessions/game. Of their 4 returning All-Conf. players, 3 are on the defense (2 DBs and a LB). The "stud" of Marauder defense is clearly LBer, Deonate Gary. Although not as big or explosive, he reminds me a little of Donald Payne of Stetson. He's all over the field and is in on most plays. The Marauders did lose their best pass rushers from last year and, as noted above, are fairly young on the DL. I would expect the Flyers' offense will run the ball effectively, which will create opportunities in the passing game.

4. Level of Competition: While the Marauders did finish 5-5, two of their victories last year were against teams that have now disbanded their FB programs (Stillman and Concordia). To provide a sense of perspective on the level of competition, I noticed that the Marauders lost a close game (22-14) to Alderson Broaddus Univ. last year. That same Alderson team was later blown out (53-18) by the Duquesne team that Dayton beat by 11. Of course, this is a new year and these are different team.

After wildly underestimating Kennesaw St. last year, I promised I would never again make bold proclamations of Flyer victories. So, in keeping with that promise, I will simply say that I like our chances in this one.

Really looking forward to getting this thing started. Go Flyers.
Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (08-29-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 04:24 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
Central State's Game Notes

http://www.maraudersports.com/news/2...st-dayton.aspx
Old 09-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Captain

Game Preview

The link below will take you to the Central State game preview for the Flyers this week. I think the Game Notes are incorrect since it is only a half a page and does not make much sense. Hopefully, someone updates the PDF game notes with the correct version.

http://daytonflyers.com/news/2016/9/...?path=football
Mad Props to PittsburghFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
NEOFlyer (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 03:22 PM
Captain

Game Notes

The game notes are now officially updated! Of all the players on the depth chart, there is only 1 true freshman, Ryan Skibinski WR (second team). However, there are quite a few backups that are R-Fr. In terms of our seniors, there are 7 R-Sr and 1 Sr starting on defense. On offense, there are 5 R-Sr (predominantly linemen) and 1 Sr starter. The O-lineman that moved from D-line last year, Wes Hegemann, is starting at guard and we moved the true So Gauthier to right tackle. I think all our skill position players on offense are very good, along with a very experienced offensive line. Cannot wait to see them in action on Saturday. On defense, we also have very good players across the board with a lot of experience. Against Central State, we will need to be stout across the front to stop their option attack. Just two days now to opening kick off and the start of the 2016 season!
Mad Props to PittsburghFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
PIONEER 8 (09-02-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 03:50 PM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
Interesting that the Marauders' transfer RB (De'Michael Jackson) isn't listed on their 2-deep at RB. I suspect they are trying to sand-bag the Flyers?
Old 09-01-2016, 04:17 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by FlyerIllini View Post
Interesting that the Marauders' transfer RB (De'Michael Jackson) isn't listed on their 2-deep at RB. I suspect they are trying to sand-bag the Flyers?
I noticed that also. And, no, it would not surprise me if they were sand-bagging.

Last edited by NEOFlyer; 09-01-2016 at 04:23 PM..
Old 09-02-2016, 07:27 AM
Captain

DDN Article on CSU

DDN wrote an article this AM on three transfers to the CSU footall program. It includes the transfer of Jackson to CSU. It is a well written article with some interesting information on their program. It stated in the article that CSU does provide 12 full scholarships to its players. That is the reason they are able to attract the transfer students. I have included the link to the article below. Also, as Neo and FI noted above, hard to believe Jackson not on the two deep list. Just a minor oversight on the part of CSU .

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...pressio/nsQXH/

Last edited by PittsburghFlyer; 09-02-2016 at 09:02 AM..
Old 09-03-2016, 08:50 AM
Captain

Game Day

For those watching from afar today, the link to the Dayton You Tube live stream is below. Go Dayton Flyers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72lingK5Tiw
Old 09-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Two observations. We pulled the starters early and the last 9 min. were painfull, and those red jerseys and blue numbers are god awful, can't see who's who on the video feed. Hard to really evaluate our overall performance as the quality of CSU is a ?, but we did take care of busness and moved out to an impressive lead. RM will be a better test, but they have a bunch of freshmen on the two deep. The Dukes on the road will for sure be a stiff test. RM lost and Dukes stayed with YSU for a while but ended up losing 45-10

Last edited by UD62; 09-05-2016 at 01:45 PM..
Old 09-05-2016, 09:58 PM
Captain

Thoughts on CSU

Overall a well played game by the Flyers. I thought on offense that our running attack was humming. All 3 backs, Yinger, Adams, and Williams played well. I thought we should have ran the ball more since CSU was all out blitzing every play (used to call that Jail Break in midget football). I think we would have piled up more yardage overall by running some more. Albeit the interception early in the game, Jeske had a solid performance. The receivers that stood out to me were Euritt, Skibinski, and Forcucci. The jet sweep to Skibinski was a thing of beauty. He ran the ball like he was a running back, reading the blocks and picking the appropriate path.

On defense, the play of our safety Leisring was outstanding. He made a number of good plays and solid tackles for his first start of the year. He was also responsible for 2 INTs on the day. Nees also appeared to play a solid game at the other S position. I know preseason the safety position was not as experienced but they really came through this week. Our LBs also had a very good week making the stops all across the field. Overall, a solid performance by the entire D.