Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-02-2016, 08:48 AM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
Robert Morris

I know...I know...the only game that matters is the one tomorrow. Having said that, it looks like Robert Morris is off to a tough start losing yesterday to Alderson Broadus, a D-II school. This same D-II team beat Central St. last year by just a TD.

I'm sure the coaches will use this as a reminder to the players that they can't take anyone lightly.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/co...5f7df5a5f.html
Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
NEOFlyer (09-02-2016)
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2016, 08:59 AM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
I didn't want bring this up until next week but RMU's depth chart is loaded with true freshman.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:40 PM
Captain

PittsburghFlyer is on a distinguished road
Robert Morris Match Up

Robert Morris started their season off on a bad note losing to Div II Alderson Broaddus by a score of 14-7. All of the scoring for both teams occurred in the 1st Quarter. The Bobby Mo TD was a 99 yd opening kickoff return. The Colonials could only muster a total of 149 yards on the night. In fact, their 2 QBs were sacked a total of 7 times by the Battlers. It appears the So QB who started last season, Matthew Barr, is out of the picture. They started Luke Brumbaugh, a local W PA guy, and yanked him early in the game in favor of Andrew Romanchak, another local W PA guy. They combined for a total of 2 interceptions, 15 of 37 passing, for a total of 133 yards in the air. Their running game is spearheaded by the guy that took the opening kickoff to the house, Dante Satcher, who rushed for 42 yd on 15 carries. Similar to the QB position, the guy who started last year against us was Rameses Owen, and it appeared he played but did not carry the rock. As stated previously, their OL is chocked full of freshman. On defense, their leading tacklers were true freshman LB Gee Stanley and Sr DL Steven Fiadewornu. Both defenders tallied 9 stops on the day. I know that they loss some of their key defensive lineman from last year to graduation. In past years, the Colonials were always very strong on defense. That has a lot to do with the background of their head coach, John Banaszak. He is a former Pittsburgh Steeler with a couple of rings (1979 and 1980) as a result of his efforts on their D-line. I believe the Colonials are either rebuilding or are in decline. The last couple of years they have struggled and they always seem to lead the scoreboard in the penalty department. I do know however they do recruit and get some very good athletes.

With all that said, we will need to play better and more consistent this week to win again at Welcome against the Colonials. I thought offensively against CSU we left a lot of points on the table. We need to complete the scoring drives and not settle for FGs. On defense, we need to really turn up the pressure on their QB, whoever the starter may be. We cannot let them get off to a good start and gain confidence. Last week, overall, we played a solid game. This week is going to require a greater effort and more consistency.

Here is to a great week of practice followed by a great game by the Flyers this coming Saturday at Welcome. Go Dayton Flyers!
Mad Props to PittsburghFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
NEOFlyer (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
I definitely agree with a lot that you mentioned PF. If we play a cleaner game (looked like we played solid first game against CSU for the most part) against RMU, I feel confident we can take the game. We can't let RMU gain any confidence or momentum.

Go Flyers!!
Old 09-06-2016, 12:25 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone notice that our A10's/Patriot Richmond pulled off a huge upset over big brother, Virginia on Saturday by 17 points? Talk about humiliating for Virginia. Richmond led the entire game.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:48 PM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
I've been checking the Robert Morris fan board. Here are some tidbits:

1. QB: According to one fan, Matt Barr (last year's starter) tore his tricep muscle. Nonetheless, there is some speculation that he will play against the Flyers. Seems hard to believe. Last week's starter left the game in the 2nd quarter due to an injured shoulder. Unclear whether he will be available. So, it's very possible we'll see the 3rd guy (Romanchak), who was actually recruited to RM as a DB. Even if Barr is available, it will be his first game and he will have had limited practice reps. Advantage Flyers.

2. Apparently, one of their RBs announced over the weekend that he's transferring. Although the RM fans didn't identify the RB by name, the hints suggested Ramses Owens (last year's starter against us). While not a huge impact since he had lost his starting job, that kind of disruption can't be good for team morale. Advantage Flyers.

3. The RM fans are very concerned about their O-line, which started 4 FR last week. It sounds like one upperclassmen will be back, but that still leaves 3 FR. All sorts of chaos in their O-line. Advantage Flyers.

Notwithstanding all of the above, the Flyers also have several things to clean up and will need to play at a higher level. Looking forward to seeing them make the expected progress.

Last edited by FlyerIllini; 09-06-2016 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: Change "bicep" to "tricep"
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
NEOFlyer (09-06-2016), Showme Flyer (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Captain

Young, inexperienced O-Linemen.. Inexperienced QB (maybe).. and RB issues against a experienced veteran Dayton defense hopefully adds up to very few points for RMU

Go Flyers!!
Mad Props to NEOFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
PittsburghFlyer (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 08:49 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,114 Posts
jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
Not sure if this is well known here but Barr is a graduate of Troy HS here in the Dayton area.

Last edited by jaburr91; 09-06-2016 at 08:53 PM..
Old 09-08-2016, 07:41 AM
Captain

Game Notes

The game notes have posted on the Dayton Football website. Only change I can see from last week is Tucker Yinger is unavailable. I hope that he gets back on the field soon.

http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.co..._Wednesday.pdf
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to PittsburghFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-08-2016), Showme Flyer (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Captain

I think Tucker Y. will be back next week. Great opportunity for J. Adams to carry the load. Depending on how things go, we may see a true FR in at RB to provide some depth.
Flyer Gramps (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 08:58 AM
Captain

Anyone else surprised that Leisring wasn't the team's Defensive player of the week? I love Cam, but David L. led the team in tackles and had the 2 picks.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Captain

Two items I noticed on the RM 2-deep: First, Romanchak is listed first at QB, and M. Barr (last year's starter) is listed No. 2. If Romanchak is the starter, we need to really get after him and force some bad decisions.

Second, in addition to all of the FR on the O-line, they have a true FR starting at CB. Need to take advantage of that match-up.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-08-2016), NEOFlyer (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 10:24 AM
Captain

[/QUOTE]they have a true FR starting at CB. Need to take advantage of that match-up.[/QUOTE]

My guess is they will have safety help for him. If the safety overplays that side... a good pump fake would hopefully give space to an RB or TE in that area.

Go FLYERS!!
Old 09-08-2016, 03:01 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by FlyerIllini View Post
Anyone else surprised that Leisring wasn't the team's Defensive player of the week? I love Cam, but David L. led the team in tackles and had the 2 picks.
I am shocked that Leisring was not the D player of the week. If you read the short synopsis of the game on the website, Leisring is the only defender mentioned. I agree Cam is one heck of a player, but I am not sure what Leisring has to do to get the player of the week. He was even nominated as the PFL defensive player of the week. Does not make a lot of sense to me. Was it maybe a typo?
Flyer Gramps (09-09-2016), FlyerIllini (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Coach Chamberlin's Monday night show podcast.
http://od-cmg.streamguys1.com/dayton...6211613140.mp3
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerIllini (09-09-2016), PittsburghFlyer (09-08-2016), Showme Flyer (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by PittsburghFlyer View Post
I am shocked that Leisring was not the D player of the week. If you read the short synopsis of the game on the website, Leisring is the only defender mentioned. I agree Cam is one heck of a player, but I am not sure what Leisring has to do to get the player of the week. He was even nominated as the PFL defensive player of the week. Does not make a lot of sense to me. Was it maybe a typo?
Pitt: You were right; just a typo in the game notes. Chambo confirmed on his weekly show (linked above) that Leisring was the team's defensive player of the week.
PittsburghFlyer (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 11:51 AM
Captain

A couple of takeaways from the John Banaszak radio show from last night: First, he confirmed that A. Romanchak is "their guy" at QB this week. He's a RS FR who was recruited and played at DB during his RS year. Interestingly, their No. 2 QB (despite what the game notes say) is true FR, Chase Bodeman.

The other takeaway was just his tone. While he attempted to sound positive, he acknowledged several times that his team is very young and has a ways to go to be good. He said all he was really looking for against the Flyers was "improvement."

The Flyers can't (and won't) take any team lightly, but as I said last week...I like our chances.
Flyer Gramps (09-10-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 10:53 PM
Just off the Jet

RMUcolonial is on a distinguished road
A lot of what has been said is true.

- O-line is young, talented, but young and that was their first taste of live football last week. RMU has had so many injuries during camp that they did not even scrimmage. Not sure they will be great against Dayton, but hopefully better.

- Not sure about the QB, everything I have heard is Barr is out, as in not available. Not sure if that is true, just what I have hear. With 3rd string QB starting, and I have heard 4th string (true freshman) is also out, I truly fear we are one deep at qb.

- RB, sounds like there is a transfer out, do not think it will hurt moral, he has been beaten out by a walk-on (blake) and beaten out this year again as a starter, guys who have played know he just wants to go somewhere he can play, they understand.

- WR, if the line can hold, watch out. Kyle Buss who was NEC rookie of the year last year, was 2nd on 2 deep. The new crop is fast, fast, fast. A lot of guys had MAC scholarships, and new TE is a Pitt transfer. Great group, will not matter though if Oline can't hold and QB can't get it to them.

- D, in general, same as always. Good. Stanley (freshman OLB) is a stud on runs and when blitzing, seemed to get lost in wash on pass coverage. DL is great again, even with new names. CB Stott is going to All NEC, so hopefully, for RMU, as someone else mentioned they will go after him. He had a pick last week. He was signed at University of Maryland, but did not like new coaching staff from what I hear. His buddy was already at RMU and convinced him to go there.

Anyways, Dayton has owned series, but it is typically a heck of a game until the 4th. Hope RMU wins, and pray for no injures on either team.

Go Colonials.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to RMUcolonial For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-10-2016), jaburr91 (09-10-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-10-2016), UACFlyer (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 12:40 PM
Just off the Jet

Does the youtube link on Dayton's webpage work? Says live stream starts in 24 hours. Not sure if anyone is on here, just wanted to check.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Just off the Jet

Oh its up now, sorry just get a little antsy on gameday! Hope we get a good, clean, competitive game.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:56 PM
Lieutenant General

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
It is working now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct-r...ature=youtu.be
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
RMUcolonial (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Stanley is impressive for RM. couple sacks, we are getting beat on the left side. right side has been more successful. wind is a factor for both teams
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
RMUcolonial (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 01:34 PM
Just off the Jet

Truly not sure how Stanley ended up at RMU. He is a absolute stud. Keep an eye on 90 and 93 on dline. They are both also true freshmen.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:02 PM
Just off the Jet

Sad to say, but tough to see RMU scoring 13 points unless it is a special teams or int return for 7. Offense is just sputtering.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Defense playing well. Red zone execution is awful.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:10 PM
Just off the Jet

UD62, do not worry. RMU can't get anything going on O. That D2 team RMU played last week shut them down also. Dayton should just kill clock.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Captain

Game Over

Game called with 9:37 left on clock in 4th Q and Dayton wins 13-0. A lot of talk here about RMU defense. Granted, they are good but if we had not stalled out a number of times in the redzone would have been a lot worse. The Dayton offense amassed 319 yards of total offense in the 3 plus quarters played. Also, I do not care if the two freshmen are the second coming of Mean Joe Green and LC Greenwood. RMU, both offensively and defensively, does not play as a team. Penalties, especially the personal fouls, kills them every time for the last couple years I have been watching. Their record over the last 4 or 5 years reflect their play as a team, which is not good.

With our Flyers, good day on offense but we need to start punching the ball in when we get close. Some great plays by our WRs once again. The one by Euritt was spectacular among all those athletes on the RMU defense! If we keep it up, we are going to start to score a bunch of points.

On defense, definitely laid the smack down on RMU. We were robbed of in INT in the one series and they could only muster 7 TOTAL yards in the first quarter. For the game, RMU accumulated only 62 yards of total offense. That is about good a job as you are going to get from your defense. Our team play on both offense and defense was outstanding! Go Dayton Flyers!

Last edited by PittsburghFlyer; 09-10-2016 at 05:50 PM..
Old 09-10-2016, 05:39 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
storm moved thru
why game called?
Old 09-10-2016, 05:43 PM
Captain

Why Cancelled?

Storm did move through but a lot of residual lightning afterwards. Additionally, by that point game already delayed over an hour and 15 minutes. Lastly, there is a high school game scheduled for 7:30. I am guessing they did not have enough time to complete the Dayton - RMU game.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Lieutenant General

There is still lightning. And they have to wait 30minutes after the last strike.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Just off the Jet

Originally Posted by PittsburghFlyer View Post
Game called with 9:37 left on clock in 4th Q and Dayton wins 13-0. A lot of talk here about RMU defense. Granted, they are good but if we had not stalled out a number of times in the redzone would have been a lot worse. The Dayton offense amassed 319 yards of total offense in the 3 plus quarters played. Also, I do not care if the two freshmen are the second coming of Mean Joe Green and LC Greenwood. RMU, both offensively and defensively, does not play as a team. Penalties, especially the personal fouls, kills them every time for the last couple years I have been watching. Their record over the last 4 or 5 years reflect their play as a team, which is not good.

With our Flyers, good day on offense but we need to start punching the ball in when we get close. Some great plays by our WRs once again. The one by Euritt was spectacular among all those athletes on the RMU defense! If we keep it up, we are going to start to score a bunch of points.

On defense, definitely laid the smack down on RMU. We were robbed of in INT in the one series and they could only muster 7 TOTAL yards in the first quarter. For the game, RMU accumulated only 62 yards of total offense. That is about good a job as you are going to get from your defense. Our team play on both offense and defense was outstanding! Go Dayton Flyers!
In what will probably be last post on this forum. I would first say that penalties are hurting RMU, and have for years. Second, your "smack talk" and frankly lack class put you in the minority of Flyer fans I have met throughout the years, but that is a you problem.

I think Dayton will be typical Dayton, good to great. I have always enjoyed the RMU - Dayton games, for as close as they have been, and the many Flyer fans I have met along the way. 99% of them classy, and not the the showboating type. Much like their team.

Best of luck to the Flyers the rest of the year! Hopefully, assuming series continues, the Colonials can give you all a better game next year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to RMUcolonial For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-10-2016), UD62 (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 06:54 PM
Lieutenant General

For having such a young team RM played well. Flyer defense was the difference.
offense left a lot of points on the field, credit RM for some stout defense in the red zone. As the frosh gain experience, should we play again in Pittsburgh, and I see no reason that we won't, Colonials will be a handfull

Last edited by UD62; 09-10-2016 at 07:21 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-11-2016), RMUcolonial (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Captain

I apologize if I offended anyone. That was not my intent. I just thought the UD players had a good game and was trying to bring that out. I stated before all the current discussions at the top of this post that RMU is probably the most talented team we will face. Anyway, I will choice better words next time.
Mad Props to PittsburghFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-11-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Lieutenant General

With all due respect to our friends at RM, out next two games against the Dukes and SDU will be among the toughest, if not the toughest games we play, both on the road.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Captain

PFL Defensive Player of the Week

Mike Gray, our R-Sr D-end, was named the PFL defensive player of the week! A very deserving honor to a hard working defensive player. Below is the blurb from the PFL website.

"Gray led a Dayton defense that posted a shutout in a 13-0 victory against Robert Morris, Saturday. From his defensive end position, he had just four tackles but three of those stops came behind the line of scrimmage. Gray was credited with 2½ tackles for loss, including two sacks that themselves resulted in 17 yards lost. He also was credited with two quarterback hurries that resulted in incomplete passes. That effort helped the Flyers hold the Colonials to just 62 yards of total offense."
Flyer Gramps (09-12-2016), FlyerIllini (09-12-2016)