UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016, 03:52 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,360 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
2017 recruits

I will try to track down the high school and club stuff for our incoming recruits over the next 6 months or so. It depends on the recruits club websites. Some post results while others are basically for players and parents so they know practices and schedules, etc. I do have some info on DS/L Emily Broerman from Colorado. First both her parents are UD alums. Second, her sister Rachel played at UD from 2007-2010. Third another sister is playing at Penn State right now.

Emily finished her high school year in CO class 3A leading the state in Digs and 4th in Aces. She also holds several state records for digs in a match and is #2 all- time career digs.

She is on the under-armor watch list. Was all-conference and first team all region and played in the all-state championship match.

I will confess that while the cameras were panning the UD fans at PSU on Friday, they were a little reserved. I'm assuming most were parents and family. That will change immediately when Mr. Broerman is back on the UD sidelines. He has coached volleyball and likes to get everyone fired up with cheers. Just a friendly heads up to all the parents and fans. Starting in the fall it will be time to stand up and be LOWD. Lots of fun. Frerricks will be rocking.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
NovaFlyer (12-05-2016)
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Love to watch UD volleyball. Thx for all the insight.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:47 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to seeing Westbeld play next season.

BeckysTXA (12-09-2016), UDBrian (12-08-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:18 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
Looking forward to seeing Westbeld play next season.

Spring should be a good time for this team. We are pretty deep at all positions and that means we will get after it on both sides of the net. I've heard Brooke has improved which says a lot when you come in a highly ranked player to start with. I also admire any player who takes full advantage of a redshirt season. I think Brooke will be one of those players.

I hope we can find some practice guys that can serve a variety of tough serves to help us with that part of the game. Even some area alums might give us some help. We have talent in the back row, but if you don't practice against tough serves you will struggle when you go up against it. Both losses this year we struggled in this area. We will get there and I know we will get after it. We just need some strong servers to help us practice.

Finally, I'm just shaking my head at some of the players coming into this game. We are seeing 6'9" and 6'8" hitters. And these young women are athletic. I remember Lindsay at 6'6" just hitting over everyone. I don't know what is going to happen, but I feel the days of front row players under 6' are numbered. The game is changing and you've got to have key players over 6'2". We are sitting good in the A-10. It's our NCAA matches that we have to prepare for.
UDBrian (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:31 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I like the idea of buying a serving machine which can go up to 60 mph because it is always available and doesn't get tired. You would only need three practice players, one playing setter, one right side returner and one left side returner. You could even do it with a left side returner and someone in the setter position.

Or, you could put a 3' wide net in the setter position and have the serves going to one returner who has to pass it into a 3' net. That is how you get better, return 500 tough serves a day into a 3' net. I think that Janna Krafka returned serve better her freshman year than anyone I have seen and she said the summer before fall vball started her previous coach was serving her 500 balls a day.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-11-2016), Glen Clark (12-09-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
Question Tall ?

Do we have anyone coming in that is over 6'0"?

TH seems to favor skill over height (perhaps a recruiting necessity). Amber is the classic example. Probably passed over by Pac-10 schools at MB due to being regarded as too short.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:22 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
There aren't a lot of scholarships available this year but last year they brought in three players 6'3" or taller and all of them put up big blocks
Old 12-21-2016, 08:37 AM

Setter Maria Schorr. Biggest news is Maria appears to have gotten taller. Earlier news clips had her listed as 5'9" and I was a little worried she might have to play As a DS/L for us. She is a great setter. She was just named to the MaxPrep All-American third team and it has her listed at 5'11". MaxPrep honors the top 50 or so players. Maria on that list puts her in a good position to also garner a Top 100 ranking from Prepvolleyball. That would give us 3 Top 100 recruits on the team the next 3 years. We've never had 2 until this year with Jamie and Brooke who took a redshirt.

Maria led Cathedral HS in Indianapolis, iN to their second straight state championship in the large school class. I think they were also named the mythical National Champs last year. She only had 36 ball handling errors in 2,689 set attempts. Her reputation as a setter is excellent at the prep level and if she is now 5'11" she fits at an elite D1 program. Very excited to see her play at UD.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-21-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 09:07 AM

If we have a scholarship come available for next year ???? I think the best player available is 6'2" OH Meredith Pellegino from Norwalk, CT. There appears to also be 2 MBs in 6'4" Chloe Thorpe from MN and 6'3" Kalley Wasson from CA. They might not all be still available because there aren't recruit lists widely available like in men's basketball. We were just posting about the need for tall players and these fit that mode and are on some noted lists of quality prep players.
UDBrian (12-22-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 11:18 AM

I did a little research and need to make a couple corrections. Jamie was the #73 recruit and Brooke was #23 coming out of high school. We also had 2 top 100 recruits for the 2007 and 2008 teams. Bethany Akerheilm was in the 70s and Tiff Gareke was in the 90s. We have never had 3 and the prep volleyball list is already out. I forgot it comes out so early. So we will have 2, but it's very good Maria is a Top 50 on max prep. It just came out, and if Maria has grown 2" I think that is great news. She has started since her freshman year on varsity. She is also an under armour honorable mention AA. Dayton under Horsmon has always been very good at finding both diamond in the rough and late developing players. Maria kind of fits both of these. Officially we won't have 3 Top 100 recruits, but we will be as close as you can get with these 3.
UDBrian (12-22-2016)