User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-28-2023, 07:54 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
I have had enough. There are 2 posters who are on my Ignore list, and now a third who's posts make MadDog seem pleasant and objective.
^^^^^^^^^

Another that can't handle the truth. Acceptance of failure is not a good quality.
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2023, 07:58 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,563 Times in 944 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
I had to look at the calendar to confirm that April 1 hadn’t arrived. Mike had the second lowest fG % on the team. He was among the poorest 3 pt shooters, with a % just under Holmes!!!He rarely got fouled, < once a game and was the poorest rebounder among anyone with material minutes. He was at best modest in assists, with the privilege of giving the ball off to DH and TC. All on a mediocre team. He was backing up an out of shape Malichi for Christ sake! He has Zero chance of playing in the NBA anytime soon. He’s at best a back up point guard for us. I did see potential given his size and ball handling ability… but it’s several years away. Mike ….Get outa here!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2023, 08:27 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,753 Times in 795 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
The NIL and/or the portal is ruining college basketball.

Anthony Grant should step down as he has lost control of the program and has not achieved the stated goals of the program.

Both of these can exist at the same time.

And we are far more likely to suck next year than to luck into a perfect storm of players who will win like the Miracle on Ice or something. Wake up.
You know what else is most definitely true along with your 3 wild conjectures? AG is our coach next year. Given this I think your head will go full bore scanners and self combust before any of the other 3 have a chance to occur. It would be different if you actually had one new thing to add, true or wild conjecture, every 50 posts but no such luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2023, 08:34 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,646 Times in 703 Posts
Monster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond repute
It’s the same thing over and over from the same group. We get it! They’ve become like the Staff Writer on OTG and that’s not a good thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Monster Man For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigudfan (03-29-2023), CJ2etc (03-28-2023), JimBo (03-28-2023), TA111 (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 09:29 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,630 Times in 766 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Monster Man View Post
It’s the same thing over and over from the same group. We get it! They’ve become like the Staff Writer on OTG and that’s not a good thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Would that be a M, L, or XL red sweater, cowboy?
Old 03-28-2023, 09:31 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
I have had enough. There are 2 posters who are on my Ignore list, and now a third who's posts make MadDog seem pleasant and objective.
I have three also, probably the same three you have.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:32 PM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
What in the blue hell does that have to do with this conversation or anything I posted within?

The only thing you'll ever see posted by me all season that's negative toward Mike, is that Mike is not a good enough PG to be an alternative to Mali. Mike should be playing the 2 and 3. And that at this point in his career he fouls too much and he's not yet good on defense.

Now as far as negatives toward the program, AG(apparently Mike agrees with me on this) and Zimi(just about the whole board agrees with me) and Brea(I'm by myself on this apparently but will insist who whether healthy are not, is a terrible player for an A10 team trying to reach the NCAA) tournament.

Oh, and the fact that you are picking fights with me for some other hidden agenda other than the topic at hand as proven here and in the RJ thread.
I think that was his very nice way of saying the empty can rattles the most.

But just incase he was not saying trying to say that - then I will. But if it was what he was saying then I will just say Ditto to what he said.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:52 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
Would that be a M, L, or XL red sweater, cowboy?
From the small town of Springboro to the large city of San Diego

From Old administrators of UDPRIDE to the current "Chief of Staff"

From Moderators who cry over player criticism to kings that are victims of those moderators.

From Fly's to Monsters.

From Marysville to TN.

From those who thinks playing golf and countering negative AG posts prove they have a full life to Superfans to half-assed stat providers.

Selling blue and red sweater vests to these folks every March that involves a Flyers NIT or the Flyers declining an invite before they are ever invited would be a very lucrative business.

There's one thing good about people that have low expectations, they make the best customers.

btw Coffee, if you do decide to go into the business, I'd suggest you overload the inventory with the XLs.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:56 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
I had to look at the calendar to confirm that April 1 hadn’t arrived. Mike had the second lowest fG % on the team. He was among the poorest 3 pt shooters, with a % just under Holmes!!!He rarely got fouled, < once a game and was the poorest rebounder among anyone with material minutes. He was at best modest in assists, with the privilege of giving the ball off to DH and TC. All on a mediocre team. He was backing up an out of shape Malichi for Christ sake! He has Zero chance of playing in the NBA anytime soon. He’s at best a back up point guard for us. I did see potential given his size and ball handling ability… but it’s several years away. Mike ….Get outa here!
Posted via Mobile Device
While your delivery is more harsh than mine, your facts are pretty indisputable. Mike has a lot of upside, but I think he’s at least 2 years away from playing professionally anywhere that will pay a decent buck.

I’ll admit that some of his dad’s criticisms were legitimate, but what I heard about many of them smacked of CYO-level parental pride. I wish the kid well, but I don’t think he’ll be a mainstay at the NBA’s All-Star Weekend any time soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (03-28-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 10:13 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,109 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
From the small town of Springboro to the large city of San Diego

From Old administrators of UDPRIDE to the current "Chief of Staff"

From Moderators who cry over player criticism to kings that are victims of those moderators.

From Fly's to Monsters.

From Marysville to TN.

From those who thinks playing golf and countering negative AG posts prove they have a full life to Superfans to half-assed stat providers.

Selling blue and red sweater vests to these folks every March that involves a Flyers NIT or the Flyers declining an invite before they are ever invited would be a very lucrative business.

There's one thing good about people that have low expectations, they make the best customers.

btw Coffee, if you do decide to go into the business, I'd suggest you overload the inventory with the XLs.
I love me my golf Smitty, The Masters is just a few short weeks away. I am not worried about the state of UD basketball. At all.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:29 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,179 Times in 4,207 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Gem View Post
In all fairness, we don't know what the team will look like next year. I am guessing there will be 8 to 10 new players. You never know, we might be really great.
Yes, all of this is true, we do not know what the future will bring, we could be great. Nobody saw the potential 1 seed year coming. If we are great, then you will hear no complaints about NIL or the portal or the new transfer rule.

People are complaining right now because we are on the front end of the players transferring out, we might bring in some great players on the back end of this situation.

Kansas State had a bunch of new guys this year, like 10 I think, and they made the Sweet 16 iinm this year.

I hope we are great.

Last edited by ud2; 03-28-2023 at 10:34 PM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
The Gem (03-29-2023)
Old 03-28-2023, 10:29 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,510 Times in 825 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
So funny, not one negative comment about Mike's play all season. And now that he's putting his name into the NBA draft, for the purpose of feedback only) and he's crossed off a return to Dayton, he's now a "3rd string point guard" and "he really wasn't that great" and "he wasn't all in".
Entering the draft just to get feedback is fine. He's just nowhere near NBA ready. I'd be excited to have Mike back. I thought he showed a lot of potential. But he shot 32% from 3 and 38% overall. His AST:TO ratio was below 2, despite being the point guard for a decent chunk of time. There's potential there, but we didn't get results this year. And that's why it's just strange to think of him as an NBA prospect. I hoped he'd get to that level with Dayton. Sounds like he's going to try to get to that level somewhere else. He certainly isn't to that level now.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:14 AM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
I hate to see him go. I think the kid has a ton of upside potential... more than anyone else on last season's roster including Holmes. He may never get one iota better or bigger but his flashes show the potential to be special. Time will tell if those were just flashes. I am certainly not saying he is better or ever will be as good as Holmes (especially defensively).

My daughter had a couple classes with him and texts with him. She's told me that he is polite and a really nice kid overall. He' hangs out with the other members of the team and has always been friendly with other students. So I don't buy into some of the early posts in this thread that attacked him personally. Can't speak regarding his father and those concerns. He certainly wouldn't be the first or last kid to get bad advice from someone close to him. Can't provide any insight into his relationship with AG other than to say I never noticed any body language that indicated an issue.

He obviously is nowhere near NBA ready but the portal isn't the only route he has now. He could make money overseas immediately as his body and game mature. Don't discount that he could stay in the draft and get stashed in the G League by a team that sees potential. It's yet to be seen what NIL does to the G League long term but right now it remains another avenue.
Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (03-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 12:59 AM
General

Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post
. Can't speak regarding his father and those concerns. He certainly wouldn't be the first or last kid to get bad advice from someone close to him.
So if his father thinks it's better for him to go another direction other than return to UD it's presumed to be "bad advice"? Seriously?
Old 03-29-2023, 06:43 AM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
So if his father thinks it's better for him to go another direction other than return to UD it's presumed to be "bad advice"? Seriously?
“Bad advice” was probably a poor choice of words on bucketnight’s part. But to pivot his comment slightly, Mike’s definitely not the first kid (and won’t be the last) to have one or more “handlers” blow sunshine up up his @$$ about how great he already is, and that he can do “so much better” anywhere but where he was. That’s part of what’s driving the volume of players overall in the transfer portal (“You’re a star! You just need to go somewhere else, so you can prove it!”). However, the “sunshine” is what caused over 40% of last year’s portal entrants (a figure mentioned on this board) to not only not find greener pastures but also to lose the pastures they had.

Did Mike get misused a bit last year? Yeah, probably. Are his chances of success in professional basketball better if he goes somewhere else? Maybe. Will I miss seeing him out there next year, playing for our Flyers? Definitely. But is he ready to play a high level of professional basketball right now? Definitely not. He needs more strength and more foot speed, especially on defense.

Good luck, Mike.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Kool-ade Flyer (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 08:48 AM

Thanked 9,816 Times in 4,076 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think the family is blowing smoke about UD but rather they don't think he is going to his potential at UD under Grant. His dad had a ton of love for UD the institution and the fans. He had no love for the way Mike was used.

I would say his Dad's opinion has some weight given his pedigree. This isn't some dad off the AAU circuit.

I don't see how anyone can think much differently based on the last 10 months. He didn't put up lottery pick numbers here. Whether it's him or the system we may never know.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-29-2023), flyerfanatic86 (03-29-2023), TXFlyerFan (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 09:16 AM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
T-bone is right. Should have been clarified at least. I don't presume Mike received or is heeding his dad's or anyone else's advice. Whether the potentially given advice is bad or not depends on variables none of us know. You know, such as what is it, does Mike really want to follow it, does it actually work, etc. I was broadly referencing previous posts. To be unclear is to be unkind so I hope you will take that little bit of kindness and use it as a springboard for a pleasant day. Or at least a day that sees only 12-15 negative posts.

FWIW... I support every kid's right to transfer and hope for the best for any kid who doesn't embarrass the school or the program. I mentioned in a couple posts before this season that I thought it was just a matter of time before we have transfers that move "up". Seemed like common sense but I also mentioned that some on the board would likely loss their mind.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:22 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,343 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I can't blame any guard for transferring from UD right now. I'm sure they are all watching the tournament and all you see from guards on most other teams is the freedom to create shots either for themselves or for other players. At UD right now its paint by numbers, no creativity, no reading the defense to take what is given. BORING!
Old 03-29-2023, 09:23 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
I don't think the family is blowing smoke about UD but rather they don't think he is going to his potential at UD under Grant. His dad had a ton of love for UD the institution and the fans. He had no love for the way Mike was used.

I would say his Dad's opinion has some weight given his pedigree. This isn't some dad off the AAU circuit.

I don't see how anyone can think much differently based on the last 10 months. He didn't put up lottery pick numbers here. Whether it's him or the system we may never know.
I think usage, not playing time, was the issue.

Mike will do well in a looser offense. What makes him special is his ability create. He's got great vision and passing skills. In Grant's offense, he's locked into spots and toward the end of the season was asked to bully smaller guard on the block (which wasn't a terrible idea).

I thought you could see Mike "get with the program" during the non-conference, and to his credit I thought he generally did well in what he was asked to do. But Mike's not going to shine in an offense that insists on dropping it into the post on 75% of the possessions. He needs something more fluid and freer to reach his potential.

I hoped he'd come back, and the offense would evolve in the post-Camara-Holmes era. He's certainly not there yet, but I could see how an offense with Mike in a lead role could work. An offense keying on Mali, Mike, Elvis and Brea that runs up and down the floor had some potential.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyer016 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (03-29-2023), CT Flyer (03-29-2023), FLYER5 (03-29-2023), Jeff (03-29-2023), shocka43 (03-29-2023), springborofan (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 09:29 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GoFlyer View Post
I liked Mike and wanted to see him develop but I was very bothered that his dad was directing and that the attitude was he should have the pg job and big minutes as a freshman and no recognition of his need to pay some dues, bond w his teammates, hit the weights, and grow up.
And possibly to learn how to play defense better and to not react so angrily to every call. The best ability is availability and it wasn't AG that caused Mike's foul trouble issues. I'm sure his mpg increase and his ability to get more into rhythm would have surfaced if he was able to stay on the court longer.Again, this is all a learning curve.

Last edited by steve; 03-29-2023 at 09:31 AM..
Old 03-29-2023, 09:35 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
I don't believe Mike would have put it all together in AG's slow, grind it out style of play. Just never felt like a good fit for either party. It will be interesting to see where his career takes him from here.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-29-2023), Flyer 86 (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 12:10 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,773 Times in 936 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
We are down to one PG, and he's about to have surgery on BOTH of his ankles.

This is a low point, but we can only go up from here! Calling all ball handlers! Come to UD where we don't have any!

Mike going pro is a joke, btw. He's going to another team where he will probably thrive since he won't be misused like he was here.
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 12:31 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
Interesting to re-read this. Mike is an intriguing player as this “NBA draft potential” analysis indicates, but the answer to four of the five questions at the end of the story are telling:

1. Could he expand his game to become a reliable shooter off the dribble?
2, Does his passing ability at the high school level lead to him developing into a primary initiator at the NBA level?
3. Is he able to get strong enough to withstand the physicality of the NBA game?
4. Does he develop as a finisher with his left hand?
5. Can he find a role where he becomes a positive defender?

The answers are no, maybe, no, no and no. He did show flashes of elite passing ability, but his shooting (despite excellent form) was erratic and mostly unimpressive. He’s physically frail, right-hand dominant, and (to date) a weak defender. He has a long way to go to make an NBA roster. He’ll either be playing overseas, at another college or, though doubtful, in the G League. I wish him well, but it will take more than a new coach to get him NBA ready. He needs to become a gym rat, pound the weights, and chow down with a fury. I can’t imagine those weren’t marching orders at UD, but he looked on Day Last exactly like he did on Day One when he committed. That’s at least partly — and maybe wholly — on him.
Great summary of Mike's current status and things he needs to work on.

One of the things I thought holding Mike back the most were a lack of willingness to get close to the basket. This ties in with both #3 (Can he withstand contact) and #4 (lacking finish with the left hand). He finished 2022 with a 38.8 FG% which feels way to low for a forward.

Mike also has a strong ball handling ability for a Forward. And I feel like he could exploit this a little more if he was willing to rebound and could steal without fouling. Both would give him a chance to lead a fast break. Since his best skill is his passing, this would put that passing on display. Since his biggest weakness is finishing around the net with contact, it would reduce the amount of other players he needs to finish around.

But much like you, I don't see him making these giant leaps. Because they require time in the gym and a willingness to put game effort into plays that aren't flashy. He prefers the Lebron like blocks near the rim and mid-range fadeaways. He prefers the highlights, without the little things that lead to those plays.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-29-2023), The Fly (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 01:59 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
I guess this means that Mongolian Mike’s younger brother is off the table and not a likely recruit?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 02:57 PM
General

Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,552 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing against Mike, but have stated this since the first time I saw him in the pre-season. Mike lacks the quickness to play the point and the strength to play the 4. He would be OK as a 2 or 3, but even then, he would often be forced to guard an opposing player with more quickness. At that point, he becomes someone like Amzil who largely played the 4 slot, but only after beefing up a bit.
Old 03-29-2023, 03:03 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Mike's father posted that among the decisions was the need for more playing time and he did not see Mike getting more time with the guards in front of him.

Back to the recruiting of guards dilemma.
Old 03-29-2023, 03:24 PM

Thanked 1,319 Times in 686 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
Mike's father posted that among the decisions was the need for more playing time and he did not see Mike getting more time with the guards in front of him.

I don't think that's it at all. I think it's that he didn't see getting more time here, because his style of play is not what Grant values. On another team, with Smith and Mike, it may play out completely differently. And if we really don't think anyone can compete with a guy coming off two ankle surgeries and another with limited success and a knee injury, and another kid coming off having steel rods put into both tibias to resolve stress fractures, then we have much larger issues.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 03:31 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,413 Times in 2,485 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck with playing time at any program better than UD if you can’t beat out the players on a team that’s didn’t make the NCAAs. And that is no disrespect to our current players. We all know the injury-thing that affected this year. Mike got more playing time than he would have if injuries hadn’t occurred. Next year pray we are healthy…and Mike would have had to earn his minutes the old-fashioned way…by beating out those ahead of you on the depth chart with performance.

So this is a comment on logic. There never appears to be much when a parent thinks their kid should be getting more playing time. What kind of meltdown would dad have had if players had been healthy. I hope the NBA scouts and coaches are brutally honest with this player and his dad. I like the player. He has some talent but has a long way to go in so many areas.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (03-29-2023), longtimefan67 (03-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 03:59 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
Good Luck with playing time at any program better than UD if you can’t beat out the players on a team that’s didn’t make the NCAAs. And that is no disrespect to our current players. We all know the injury-thing that affected this year. Mike got more playing time than he would have if injuries hadn’t occurred. Next year pray we are healthy…and Mike would have had to earn his minutes the old-fashioned way…by beating out those ahead of you on the depth chart with performance.

So this is a comment on logic. There never appears to be much when a parent thinks their kid should be getting more playing time. What kind of meltdown would dad have had if players had been healthy. I hope the NBA scouts and coaches are brutally honest with this player and his dad. I like the player. He has some talent but has a long way to go in so many areas.
Dead on point! If you can play you will play. The beautiful thing about sports is that it does not matter your color, political beliefs, ethnic/social/economic background as the best on the team will play. Any coach with half a brain will play the best players on the team as their job depends on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2023, 04:23 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,773 Times in 936 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute

We have like 3 guards on the entire roster and they were hurt most of last season. That is a weak excuse.
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 04:26 PM
General

Disagree, we're talking about freshman thrown to the wolves by having to be a starting PG for a good portion of the season. I truly believe he's a much better FT and 3 point shooter than he's shown. I believe the pressure of learning to PG in D1 basketball took a lot of his concentration away from other aspects of his game.

As for his defense, that will improve, it normally does. Hell, just look at Ryan Mikesell's defense from his freshman season and how it progressed. And he wasn't some speedster.

I figure Mike for playing the 2 position on offense and the 3 position on defense. I think he's nothing more than insurance you pray you don't use as a #1 PG but think he'd be a fabulous 2nd PG on the court with another more conventional PG running the offense more than he does. Kind of like Rodney Chatman, only better at passing.

Where ever Mike goes, I expect a huge jump in production and doubtful it will be a step down from UD and especially from Grant.
Old 03-29-2023, 06:09 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,343 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ready Action View Post
Dead on point! If you can play you will play. The beautiful thing about sports is that it does not matter your color, political beliefs, ethnic/social/economic background as the best on the team will play. Any coach with half a brain will play the best players on the team as their job depends on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
But a coach may not play a player who he does not think fits in his system and said player may prosper in a different system that fits his skill set better.

Which makes me wonder why AG recruits so many guys that clearly do not fit his system.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-29-2023), shocka43 (03-29-2023), TXFlyerFan (03-29-2023), UDEE79 (04-03-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 07:01 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
https://hoop-social.com/2023-nba-dra...pect-rankings/

This list shows Mike @ 85.....DaRon at 29.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:05 PM
Lieutenant General

FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

I doubt that they bothered to rank that last category, which they called, "Should return". So Mike is really anywhere from 81 to 100. Or 500. Anyone else who might put their name in also falls into that category, too.
Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 08:30 PM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
Mike is justan average player . 21.. no strength and afraid of the paint .: and a very poor defender . We have to get better with our intake .
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to flybye For This Totally Excellent Post:
upperarlingtonflyer (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 08:39 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,538 Times in 783 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flybye View Post
Mike is justan average player . 21.. no strength and afraid of the paint .: and a very poor defender . We have to get better with our intake .
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with your take on his skills today. 2 more years at UD or wherever would make him a credible NBA prospect. But today, Mike’s dad is writing checks that Mike can’t cash. I don’t think it’s an intake problem, it a parental problem
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-29-2023), FlyingArrow (03-29-2023), Monster Man (03-29-2023), upperarlingtonflyer (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 08:58 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Disagree, we're talking about freshman thrown to the wolves by having to be a starting PG for a good portion of the season. I truly believe he's a much better FT and 3 point shooter than he's shown. I believe the pressure of learning to PG in D1 basketball took a lot of his concentration away from other aspects of his game.

As for his defense, that will improve, it normally does. Hell, just look at Ryan Mikesell's defense from his freshman season and how it progressed. And he wasn't some speedster.

I figure Mike for playing the 2 position on offense and the 3 position on defense. I think he's nothing more than insurance you pray you don't use as a #1 PG but think he'd be a fabulous 2nd PG on the court with another more conventional PG running the offense more than he does. Kind of like Rodney Chatman, only better at passing.

Where ever Mike goes, I expect a huge jump in production and doubtful it will be a step down from UD and especially from Grant.
I don’t disagree with MOST of what you said. I would have expected Mike to get better every year he would have been at UD. My comments were about his Dad. His dad thinks he should have been the starting point guard. He posted pretty much that after a game where Mike did not play PG. something about he’s played PG his whole life and should be playing it now. Fast forward and it’s announced Mike hired an agent and will look at playing pro but hasn’t closed the portal option. That says to me his dad thinks he might just jump to play pro somewhere. It won’t be in the US. That would be insane at this point. Surely we agree on that. I don’t think he’s ready for Europe either. Doesn’t it make more sense for him to enter the portal sooner rather than later to explore that option ASAP? Personally I don’t think Mike is one year away from being pro ready. I’d say 2 minimum, even for overseas. But assume his dad will have him overseas after next year, is he even worth being a one-year project for a team? Is he ready to contribute immediately at one of those “step-up” programs you allude to? And will his dad allow him to go anywhere he won’t be playing point? I like the player. But the latest coming from the dad is the move is because he didn’t get enough playing time. So it always seems to come down to PT. And he got more than he had “earned” out right with the injuries. He helped the team even being thrown out in a big role his freshman year. That’s not what my post was about. My post was about his dad’s expectations and opinions of where Mike’s skills are today. My opinion is his dad is wrong.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (03-29-2023), Swampy Meadows (03-30-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 09:11 PM
General of the Air Force

No idea how credible this source is, but they list Mike as a Forward, not a Guard or a F/G Swingman. Just an observation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-29-2023, 09:24 PM
Colonel

Monster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
I agree with your take on his skills today. 2 more years at UD or wherever would make him a credible NBA prospect. But today, Mike’s dad is writing checks that Mike can’t cash. I don’t think it’s an intake problem, it a parental problem
Mike’s dad calls the shots when it comes to his son. Two years ago, he was set to enroll at Centerville and was practicing with the team. At the last minute, he decided that Centerville (State Champs and three straight Final Four’s) wasn’t right for Mike. Instead, he had him enroll at International Sports Academy in Willoughby, Ohio. I have to believe that Gabe Cupps being firmly entrenched as the starting PG at Centerville, was a factor in this decision. I was told that Mike wanted to stay at Centerville, but was overruled. As far as UD basketball is concerned, we’ve been down this road before with Staten and Doliboa.
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Monster Man For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (03-30-2023), Bill McPeek (03-30-2023), cj (03-30-2023), Flyer 86 (04-04-2023), FLYER5 (03-29-2023), longtimefan67 (03-30-2023), Marysville Flyer (03-30-2023), rollo (03-30-2023), San Diego Flyer (04-03-2023), springborofan (03-30-2023), UDEE79 (04-03-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 11:35 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
I Wish Mike The Best

and I hope he returns to UD some day. One of the best Freshman recruits UD history IMHO.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Dave (03-30-2023), Jeff (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 01:01 PM
Brigadier General

N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, so his dad wants unearned PT. I'd lead with that at your NBA tryout . . .
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-30-2023), Flyer 86 (04-04-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 01:56 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Monster Man View Post
Mike’s dad calls the shots when it comes to his son. Two years ago, he was set to enroll at Centerville and was practicing with the team. At the last minute, he decided that Centerville (State Champs and three straight Final Four’s) wasn’t right for Mike. Instead, he had him enroll at International Sports Academy in Willoughby, Ohio. I have to believe that Gabe Cupps being firmly entrenched as the starting PG at Centerville, was a factor in this decision. I was told that Mike wanted to stay at Centerville, but was overruled. As far as UD basketball is concerned, we’ve been down this road before with Staten and Doliboa.
It is a little odd that his dad moved his family to Dayton after Mike signed. Nothing shouts “helicopter parent” more than moving half way around the world to be where your 18 yr old son is playing basketball.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:20 PM

Thanked 9,816 Times in 4,076 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
It is a little odd that his dad moved his family to Dayton after Mike signed. Nothing shouts “helicopter parent” more than moving half way around the world to be where your 18 yr old son is playing basketball.
If you have the resources why not?

If i had money to burn and no ties to where I was at why in the hell wouldn't I move to be closer to support my kid and his athletic endeavors?
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-30-2023), cj (03-30-2023), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-30-2023), flyerfanatic86 (03-31-2023), FlyingArrow (03-30-2023), TXFlyerFan (03-31-2023), UDEE79 (04-03-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 08:30 PM
General

Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
My oh my the wolves come out when a player leaves. The kid / parent were nowhere near Staten material.

The cold reality is that as of right now, this team is looking at a 3rd straight season where the PG is coming off an injury or surgery. There are no other true PG options. The last two 1) transferred to a school in the same conference and is blossoming into a much better player and 2) left the program. Now, if you're a recruit, and someone on your posse did any homework, you would realize that once Mali is healthy, you will not play PG. Doesn't matter what anyone on this board thinks they can justify, that is what has in fact transpired. Seems to me, the only way we get another PG is one that comes from a lower conference and sees UD as a step up, and is willing to be a backup. Meanwhile, the team will be exactly where has been the past two years. A PG that can't finish, wont go left, and has a weak outside shot. But hey, he racks up assists.

But, none of that matters, let's all take shots at a kid and his dad. You know, because we all have similar experiences moving around the globe, we've all been there done that, and it's no big deal.

Wouldn't the collective time be better spent developing the list of reasons why the team didn't win the league, tournament, get into the NCAA, or reasons to criticize those who point that out?

On this board and the emerging UD culture is - you're praised for being mediocre, and criticized for attempting to improve yourself.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (03-31-2023), Smitty10 (03-30-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 08:53 PM
General

My oh my the wolves come out when a player leaves. The kid / parent were nowhere near Staten material.

The cold reality is that as of right now, this team is looking at a 3rd straight season where the PG is coming off an injury or surgery. There are no other true PG options. The last two 1) transferred to a school in the same conference and is blossoming into a much better player and 2) left the program. Now, if you're a recruit, and someone on your posse did any homework, you would realize that once Mali is healthy, you will not play PG. Doesn't matter what anyone on this board thinks they can justify, that is what has in fact transpired. Seems to me, the only way we get another PG is one that comes from a lower conference and sees UD as a step up, and is willing to be a backup. Meanwhile, the team will be exactly where has been the past two years. A PG that can't finish, wont go left, and has a weak outside shot. But hey, he racks up assists.

But, none of that matters, let's all take shots at a kid and his dad. You know, because we all have similar experiences moving around the globe, we've all been there done that, and it's no big deal.

Wouldn't the collective time be better spent developing the list of reasons why the team didn't win the league, tournament, get into the NCAA, or reasons to criticize those who point that out?

On this board and the emerging UD culture is - you're praised for being mediocre, and criticized for attempting to improve yourself.
I will never agree with you that Mike was a good alternative at PG to Mali, I will to this day say he's a 2 or 3 that should only be used as a PG due to no other choice.

I also don't know that if Grant found a PG that was more productive at that position than Mali, he wouldn't replace him. I personally don't think that Scenario has presented itself because, well, I don't believe Mike was that PG.

I still think Mike is going to be a very good to great 2 or 3. So the "don't let the door hit ya" type of comments are ridiculous. So I much agree here.

But let me give you kudos for the best summation of a huge portion of this board with "On this board and the emerging UD culture is - you're praised for being mediocre, and criticized for attempting to improve yourself".

Dang, I've never heard it summed up in a nicer, truer description than that.
Old 04-03-2023, 06:08 PM
Major

The NBA and players union agreed upon a new CBA. Within it, teams can now carry 3 2-way players up from carrying 2. Teams generally use the provision to stash players in the G League as they only play a limited number of games and are payed 50% of the minimum salary. Effectively, it allows teams to spend more on better players while stashing players they view as having upside.

Not saying this impacts Mike's potential to be drafted which I had at approximately 0% but it may impact the overall philosophy of teams a little.
Old 04-03-2023, 09:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post
The NBA and players union agreed upon a new CBA. Within it, teams can now carry 3 2-way players up from carrying 2. Teams generally use the provision to stash players in the G League as they only play a limited number of games and are payed 50% of the minimum salary. Effectively, it allows teams to spend more on better players while stashing players they view as having upside.

Not saying this impacts Mike's potential to be drafted which I had at approximately 0% but it may impact the overall philosophy of teams a little.
When rounded, his chances of being drafted are 0%. This doesn't change that, but it does increase the chances of landing a 2-way contract since there are now 30 more of them. That still probably rounds out to 0%, though.
Old 04-03-2023, 09:50 PM
General

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I’m unclear on this, did Mike grow up in the U.S.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2023, 07:23 PM
Colonel

https://twitter.com/rize_management/...rtVEe_0sWLSjCQ

Ready for what? I really think he’s getting bad advice from people close to him. We’ll see….
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2023, 07:26 PM
Colonel

https://twitter.com/sharavjamts55/st...rtVEe_0sWLSjCQ

Sorry, here’s the link from his dad’s Twitter account that has the “We are Ready” quote.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2023, 08:47 PM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
I believe that agency is NCAA certified, meaning Sharavjamts would maintain his NCAA eligibility if he withdrew from the NBA draft by May 31.

That seems wise. I don't get the impression there's much of a chance he'd be drafted at this point.
Old 04-28-2023, 10:24 AM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Who knows maybe someone will take a flyer on him but I doubt it. He showed some flashes over the year but to me nothing says that he's more than an outside shot as a project at this point. His shooting is best described as tepid hovering around 40% from the floor and 30% from three, but he does move well and is creative. He's not going to present any real matchup issues at that level if he can't stretch defenses and is thus pretty easily neutralized. He's not strong enough to plug in as an NBA forward and he's not quick enough to plug in as a guard. I'm not really sure what you do with him after that on an NBA court. Finally, he's consistently behind on defense, but that doesn't seem to matter as much in the NBA unless you play for Thibs evidently. I just don't see this going well for Mike.

Last edited by Canonball; 04-28-2023 at 10:27 AM..
Old 04-28-2023, 11:11 AM
Lieutenant General

I think he'll end up regretting leaving the University of Dayton. It seems that we're ideal for him in terms of development, opportunity, and visibility.

He's not ready for the NBA. If he goes pro, he'll be overseas where even if he's good he won't likely be great enough to grab anyone's attention.

If he goes to another school, he'll suffer either less opportunity (buried on the bench at a bigger school) or less visibility (starting for a low-major). He was in the rotation here as a freshman, with the opportunity to grab the starting job. Based on his performance, he didn't do that, but he'd have had the opportunity again next year and he'd have continued to be in the rotation regardless.

His departure is a loss for us, but also a loss for him (imo).
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-29-2023), JimBo (04-29-2023), NYCFLYER (04-29-2023), superfan99 (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 11:13 AM

Thanked 15,916 Times in 6,997 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Britney Grimes has a better chance of getting drafted into the NBA than Mongolian Mike....she has Diversity going for her...he has nothing.
Gazoo (04-28-2023), jack72 (04-28-2023), longtimefan67 (04-29-2023), Monster Man (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 02:59 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
I think he'll end up regretting leaving the University of Dayton. It seems that we're ideal for him in terms of development, opportunity, and visibility.

He's not ready for the NBA. If he goes pro, he'll be overseas where even if he's good he won't likely be great enough to grab anyone's attention.

If he goes to another school, he'll suffer either less opportunity (buried on the bench at a bigger school) or less visibility (starting for a low-major). He was in the rotation here as a freshman, with the opportunity to grab the starting job. Based on his performance, he didn't do that, but he'd have had the opportunity again next year and he'd have continued to be in the rotation regardless.

One cool thing about going overseas: He will break another Guinness World Record by becoming the First Mongolian Ever to Play Professional Basketball In (Insert Country Name Here)
Old 04-28-2023, 03:09 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,459 Times in 777 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Somewhere it was mentioned that he doesn’t want to be a student. I hope for better options for players who are not interested in being a college student. Let the student-athletes have the scholarships. I have no hard feelings for guys who just want to be athletes except when they poorly imitate being a student. Look at the big boy drafted out of OSU last night. He completed his journalism degree in 3 years and speaks Portuguese and Mandarin. It’s possible to be a student and an athlete.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-29-2023), Gazoo (04-29-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 04:55 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,434 Times in 683 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
He can get paid to play with G League Ignite and get plenty of exposure to NBA scouts.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-30-2023), shocka43 (05-08-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 05:03 PM
Colonel

zmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to behold

Obviously it depends on how he looks at his next stop but how on earth can you say that UD is an ideal fit for him given how slow AG’s offense is
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to zmz723 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (05-03-2023), CT Flyer (05-02-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 05:38 PM

TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zmz723 View Post
Obviously it depends on how he looks at his next stop but how on earth can you say that UD is an ideal fit for him given how slow AG’s offense is
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think it really matters what offense he's in. He just wants to play ball, not do school. There's nothing wrong with that, and so if he can find the right situation to focus solely on basketball and get all the training he needs, then that's what he should do. No need to try and force a square peg in a round hole.
Old 04-28-2023, 06:23 PM
Major

superfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zmz723 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Is AGs offense always slow or was it just slow last year because of personnel and injuries? I don’t recall AGs offense being slow at all in 2019-2020.
Posted via Mobile Device
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to superfan99 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-28-2023), Flyer Dave (04-28-2023), GoFlyer (04-28-2023), John C. (04-28-2023), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 11:08 PM
Major

Originally Posted by superfan99 View Post
Is AGs offense always slow or was it just slow last year because of personnel and injuries? I don’t recall AGs offense being slow at all in 2019-2020.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tempo (number of possessions a game) under Grant, per KenPom:

2023 - 354 (of 363 teams)
2022 - 344
2021 - 305
2020 - 220
2019 - 322
2018 - 267

At Bama, 281, 301, 315, 302, 245, 267.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyer016 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (05-01-2023), CT Flyer (05-02-2023), FLYER5 (04-29-2023), OSU Flyer (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 12:13 AM
Colonel

zmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by superfan99 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
It’s always slow. Half the time they don’t even start the offense until there’s 12 seconds left on the shot clock. Infuriating
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to zmz723 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (05-02-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 07:26 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,088 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyer016 View Post
Tempo (number of possessions a game) under Grant, per KenPom:

2023 - 354 (of 363 teams)
2022 - 344
2021 - 305
2020 - 220
2019 - 322
2018 - 267

At Bama, 281, 301, 315, 302, 245, 267.
Those numbers are so pedestrian if we took a walk across the street in a crosswalk we'd get run over Every. Single. Time.
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (05-08-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 08:22 AM
General

Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,552 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
No wonder our offense struggled so much the past few seasons. This all translates into ill-advised threes at the buzzer. I hope the coaching staff isn't missing this key statistic...but I am skeptical they can connect the dots.
Old 04-29-2023, 09:05 AM
Brigadier General

springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
The counter argument the Grant haters don’t want to share:

UD rank of NCAA Shooting % ranking by team by year (~360 teams):

2023 38
2022 14
2021 18
2020 1 (but that’s only a regular season so it doesn’t REALLY count)
2019 2
2018 24

UD must have had some awesome 3 point shooters to make so many “last second” 3 point shots!

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-ba...ate=2018-04-03

Last edited by springborofan; 04-29-2023 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Spelling and Clarity
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-29-2023), Gazoo (04-29-2023), Glen Clark (04-29-2023), Jeff (04-29-2023), longtimefan67 (05-02-2023), mikeymo85 (05-01-2023), podcast411 (04-29-2023), UDGutter2 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 09:26 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,563 Times in 944 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future

Shooting % by team:

2023 38
2022 14
2021 18
2019 2
2018 24

UD must have had some awesome 3 point shooters to make so many “last second” 3 point shots!

What does this % show? It doesn’t seem to correlate to the chart you attached.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2023, 11:23 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
What does this % show? It doesn’t seem to correlate to the chart you attached.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry, I cleaned up the prior post. The link shows 2018, you have to adjust the year on the website to get to rankings each year.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 12:06 PM

2023 38
2022 14
2021 18
2019 2
2018 24

Will the hall monitors be along to criticize this post for being about Grant when it's supposed to be about Sharvjamts?
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
TX Flyer (05-01-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 12:42 PM
General

Thanked 5,463 Times in 2,388 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
What MD and others conveniently ignore is that some of the best teams in the country are 200+. They treat it like a win-loss record when it's really just a style of play indicator. You can play fast and terrible, slow and good, or any mix.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 01:21 PM
General

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really tell if he's spent much time living in Mongolia but they do have a professional basketball league

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol...ll_Association

Maybe he wants to live in Mongolia and be the big fish over there
Old 04-29-2023, 02:45 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Britney Grimes has a better chance of getting drafted into the NBA than Mongolian Mike....she has Diversity going for her...he has nothing.
Is the WNBA off the table for Mike? Just asking . . .
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (05-02-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 03:14 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Is the WNBA off the table for Mike? Just asking . . .
Based on Brittney's recent comments, I would say no.
Old 04-29-2023, 03:47 PM

runnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to all
She not only has Diversity but an Adams Apple too
Old 04-29-2023, 05:29 PM
General

2023 38
2022 14
2021 18
2019 2
2018 24

If this means A10 championships and/or NCAA appearances I'm all in.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (04-29-2023), UDGutter2 (04-29-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 07:18 PM
General

frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Number of possessions is one metric for determining tempo, but like all metrics it can't be taken in isolation. Grant's offense is not slow. It is predicated on player and ball movement to create easy shots. We don't take shots early in the shot clock unless they are wide open. Most times, the shot clock is in single digit before the shot goes up. But because we work to create open shots, our shooting percentage tends to be near the top of the stats, and because it takes time to create these shots, our number of possessions tend to be near the bottom.

Last year we were slow, because our guards were hurt and the entire offense suffered as a result. Normally though, when our offense is clicking it looks good, it is fun to watch, and it is anything but slow tempo.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (05-01-2023), Gazoo (04-30-2023), Glen Clark (04-29-2023), springborofan (04-29-2023), UDGutter2 (04-30-2023)
Old 04-29-2023, 08:07 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Enough with the common sense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2023, 08:35 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,014 Times in 501 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Slow tempo and low possessions is fine, unless you also have a 20+% turnover rate. In theory that should be alot easier to correct than just not having good shooters.
Old 05-01-2023, 05:21 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,619 Times in 2,468 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Sh. Ekhin-Od received invitations to training from the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, Utah Jazz, and Milwaukee Bucks. ������

I'm flying to Dallas tomorrow. Training with professional athletes and coaches is a great opportunity to fully show yourself.

https://twitter.com/naba_naranbat/st...990276096?s=20
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 02:18 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
so ready for a couple more
Welcome to the family threads....
Old 05-01-2023, 03:34 PM

Thanked 15,916 Times in 6,997 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Training with professional athletes and coaches is a great opportunity to fully show yourself.
Be careful what you wish for Mike.
BeckysTXA (05-02-2023), cj (05-02-2023), Gazoo (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 11:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Sh. Ekhin-Od received invitations to training from the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, Utah Jazz, and Milwaukee Bucks. ������

I'm flying to Dallas tomorrow. Training with professional athletes and coaches is a great opportunity to fully show yourself.

https://twitter.com/naba_naranbat/st...990276096?s=20
Or, to King Rollo’s point, it’s also a great opportunity to fully expose yourself (as in, your weaknesses). I wish the kid well. I just don’t see that he’s anywhere near ready for the NBA any time soon. Maybe someday, but not this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-02-2023), cj (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 08:44 AM

Does not surprise me he’s getting a couple workouts. I posted that early in this thread because all these agents can call in a favor and ask for a couple complimentary workouts. It’s how the business works.

Does anyone know if Mike is finishing his spring semester at UD? 2 things here. Does he have to be enrolled at a school to enter the portal? And I wonder if he is in the strength and conditioning off-season program. He has been removed from the roster. This is new so I wondered if he left school. If ever a player needed the off-season conditioning program, it’s Mike. Just wondering if he is in it. If not, his dad really mis-played those cards.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 09:12 AM
Lieutenant General

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know if he is finishing the semester, but I do know this is finals week. He's going to Dallas today, maybe he has some special arrangement for finals.

It's the school's compliance officer who enters the name into the portal. I would think you'd have to be in good academic standing for the receiving school to accept you. 9 days left to get his name in the portal. ( I will be surprised if he enters. He may have stepped away from academics when the season ended just as Kostas did.)
Old 05-02-2023, 10:21 AM

I don't know if he is finishing the semester, but I do know this is finals week. He's going to Dallas today, maybe he has some special arrangement for finals.

It's the school's compliance officer who enters the name into the portal. I would think you'd have to be in good academic standing for the receiving school to accept you. 9 days left to get his name in the portal. ( I will be surprised if he enters. He may have stepped away from academics when the season ended just as Kostas did.)
I really hate when that happens. It’s easy to say Kostas and maybe Mike just didn’t like the academics of college sports. Well I’ll note I don’t think Obi really liked the academics either. He had to sit a year and work on getting his in order and he manned-up and got it done. His mother noted many times while he was at UD his first 2 years he still had some growing up to do. He faced his responsibilities, took advantage of the support a student athlete gets at UD, and got his house in order. It helped make him the man he is today.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (05-03-2023), Flyer 86 (05-02-2023), Gazoo (05-02-2023), JimBo (05-02-2023), longtimefan67 (05-02-2023), podcast411 (05-02-2023), Sticks 'n Stearns (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 10:45 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,088 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
To Beckys point about growing up one individual vs another there is no one way that transition to adulthood travels (or at least trying to go from being irresponsible to being responsible).

Sometimes a change is made while under duress, some poeople change as a natural occurrence, and then some times reality smacks you up-side-the head and the decision to move/grow brings clarity to what you want to make of yourself.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:45 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Does not surprise me he’s getting a couple workouts. I posted that early in this thread because all these agents can call in a favor and ask for a couple complimentary workouts. It’s how the business works.

Does anyone know if Mike is finishing his spring semester at UD? 2 things here. Does he have to be enrolled at a school to enter the portal? And I wonder if he is in the strength and conditioning off-season program. He has been removed from the roster. This is new so I wondered if he left school. If ever a player needed the off-season conditioning program, it’s Mike. Just wondering if he is in it. If not, his dad really mis-played those cards.
I just checked the web site and his picture and bio IS still listed. But, that doesn’t mean anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2023, 10:20 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,373 Times in 1,109 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
I just checked the web site and his picture and bio IS still listed. But, that doesn’t mean anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
It does mean something- the webmaster is way behind on updating the website. Mike has already said he has no intention of returning to Dayton.
Old 05-03-2023, 12:11 AM
General

I really hate when that happens. It’s easy to say Kostas and maybe Mike just didn’t like the academics of college sports. Well I’ll note I don’t think Obi really liked the academics either. He had to sit a year and work on getting his in order and he manned-up and got it done. His mother noted many times while he was at UD his first 2 years he still had some growing up to do. He faced his responsibilities, took advantage of the support a student athlete gets at UD, and got his house in order. It helped make him the man he is today.
Just wondering, does UD teach welding classes?
Old 05-03-2023, 08:47 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,630 Times in 766 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
I changed one of my passwords to Sharavjamts23 but got locked out as I could not figure out how to spell it again.
Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (05-04-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 08:49 AM
Lieutenant General

The most recent roster on the website is the 2022-23 roster. The roster is correct, that is the team that finished the season. (Washington and Baker were removed because they left mid season.)
Old 05-03-2023, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
They must have been doing some kind of maintenance and he got bumped off and they have corrected it.

I posted right after I checked and double checked the roster because as I noted this was “new”. There were 2 options on the drop down to click this past year. I clicked both and I knew he was the last player on the roster. He was not there when I clicked on both - twice - which is why I posted. So it was a moment in time and he’s been returned to the listing. Thanks for the update.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:38 AM

The most recent roster on the website is the 2022-23 roster. The roster is correct, that is the team that finished the season. (Washington and Baker were removed because they left mid season.)
My roster this morning - both options on the drop down - still has Amzil removed. He was there until he committed to NM. He was also not on the roster yesterday when I posted the Mike info.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:56 AM
Lieutenant General

Earlier Amzil was on one of the options ( I specifically looked for him)now he isn't. I thought one 2023 option was being used for updating and the other was the permanent record of 22-23. Guess not. LOL
Old 05-03-2023, 06:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Jon Chepkevich
@JonChep
Dayton’s Mike Sharavjamts has secured a G League Elite Camp invitation, I’m told.

The first Mongolian to earn an NCAA DI scholarship + the son of a Harlem Globetrotter, “Mongolian Mike” hangs his hat on impressive flashes of playmaking feel/vision as a 6’8” jumbo initiator.
Old 05-03-2023, 06:15 PM
Brigadier General

Jack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to all
Mike invited to G League elite camp

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...K7ILPIY5FXBG4/
Old 05-03-2023, 08:11 PM

Earlier Amzil was on one of the options ( I specifically looked for him)now he isn't. I thought one 2023 option was being used for updating and the other was the permanent record of 22-23. Guess not. LOL
I thought maybe the same which is why I double checked both and found them basically the same. I think someone removed Mike and it was corrected. It happens. UD probably has guidelines who and when players get both added to the rosters and removed.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-03-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 07:51 AM
Captain

Don is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post
Mike invited to G League elite camp

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...K7ILPIY5FXBG4/
This highlight video just magnifies the hurt in losing a player with that kind of potential. If only he'd come along back when players stayed for four years.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:01 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,118 Times in 2,611 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Update from Mike

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress

Dayton's Mike Sharavjamts will enter the NCAA transfer portal, he told ESPN. "Mongolian Mike" says he's leaning towards turning pro, but wants to explore collegiate portal options in case he withdraws from the NBA draft on May 31. Will attend next week's G League Elite Camp.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:11 AM
General

Good luck to the young man.

The best thing that could happen to him right now is for his dad to get a full time job away from basketball. The guy is gifted with size and he has skill, but I can’t help but think he is being over-managed by someone with unrealistic expectations.
Old 05-09-2023, 11:25 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Given Mike’s aversion to classwork I would sincerely doubt that he is in good academic standing which is required to transfer.
Posted via Mobile Device