User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Neat Highlight video over the years

on daytonflyers.com. Video quality not the greatest but it shows some great offensive plays by the flyers over the years.

Watching the video couldn't help but notice the lack of fans in the stands on the visitors side which takes away from the feel of the game in my opinion.

After thinking about it, knowing that UD moved to Welcome Stadium back in the 70's as they were considering going D1 scholarship which we all know they went 180 and non scholarship to DIII, and since have had meager crowds at best.

So why not move the football program back to Baujan Field where more students could attend the game. Build the stadium seating back to where it was with better facilities etc and if they are going to tear down the end building make it a horseshoe with a great entrance with seating for about 7k. It would save money renting Welcome and have a greater feel for the game with fans closer together.

This would necessitate building another soccer field but I do believe UD has that extra space now with the latest land acquisitions. Just a thought.
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
UD's Arena Sports Complex,....

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
on daytonflyers.com. Video quality not the greatest but it shows some great offensive plays by the flyers over the years.

Watching the video couldn't help but notice the lack of fans in the stands on the visitors side which takes away from the feel of the game in my opinion.

After thinking about it, knowing that UD moved to Welcome Stadium back in the 70's as they were considering going D1 scholarship which we all know they went 180 and non scholarship to DIII, and since have had meager crowds at best.

So why not move the football program back to Baujan Field where more students could attend the game. Build the stadium seating back to where it was with better facilities etc and if they are going to tear down the end building make it a horseshoe with a great entrance with seating for about 7k. It would save money renting Welcome and have a greater feel for the game with fans closer together.

This would necessitate building another soccer field but I do believe UD has that extra space now with the latest land acquisitions. Just a thought.
....including Welcome Stadium, Avid, would be the envy of the majority of our peers. We are lucky to have access to a facility like Welcome.

Avid, nearly 13,000 show up for men's BB games in all kinds of weather,...including a large number of students. They come because they are interested and becuase they want to. The off-campus location of the Arena is not an issue.

Why would we believe that relocating FB games that draw about 2500 at the same location as BB games,....under better conditions, generally, ....would draw significantly better at Baujan?

Not many years ago Flyer FB averaged over 5000 with 7000-8000 occasionally. Something has changed....some Priders have theories what it is. I think UD could do a much better job marketing FB....but I don't understand the sharp drop-off in interest and attendance...by about 50%, at least.

But, I don't think UD's facilitiess or their location are an issue. It is very common for colleges to locate athletic facilities some distance from the academic center of campus. If there is interest people will come...generating that interest seems to be the issue.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
chriscage (01-05-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
I think they took a hit when NCAA passed the execrable "Dayton rule" I can get jazzed for playoffs and national championships, Pioneer league championships? Not so much.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:02 AM
1st Lieutenant

chriscage will become famous soon enough
Correction...UD was D1 scholly

In my days at UD (late 60s and early 70s) we played UC, Louisville, Temple, Miami, BG and other (then) mid-major football programs. Then along came D3 non-scholly.

While it was fun winning and competing for a national trophy, the NCAA had it about right. We were a misfit in D-3.

We have found a home in FCS (1-AA), competing against our peer institutions like San Diego, Butler and Drake . Poor attendance is entirely a promotion and marketing problem.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
We used to do very well playing night games in Sept and Oct. I am told we stopped that because the PFL didn't want night games. Why is that, and why in heck's name did we let them dictate to us? I heard it had something to do with the fact that road teams didn't want to have to put their teams up in a hotel for the night after a game, then travel home the next day. If so, this league should change its name to "The El Cheapo League" where any expense, no matter how small, is waaaaay to much.

Now it's games on Saturday afternoon or nothing. Of course, then you 're running head to head with OSU and every other "Big" college game that's been hyped as a "must see" for weeks. Then too there are the young parents and grandparents who are forced to choose between Jimmy's Pee Wee league football game (or Jenny's soccer game) and the Flyers.

You know who comes out second there, right? Sorry, Flyers!

No wonder attendance is down for a great product. I mean, usually the Athletic Dept is sharp. But for football, they've (no pun intended) dropped the ball for years and years. Makes you think they don't really care.

Last edited by bobber; 01-28-2012 at 01:35 PM..