Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Will this be a 3 Quarterback Season?

Scout posted on the Recruit thread that Zach Splain has decided to give up on football. That's disappointing but not shocking. He was 2nd team All-State in MD and had passing stats similar to our starter. He was not as gifted a runner though. good Luck Zach!

Papa confirmed the news and added that there were 3 quarterbacks in winter workouts - Bardo, Johnson & Voigt. Does that mean that Joe Spahr (Columbus) is not on the roster?

Papa also reminds me that there are no QB's in the 21 recruits we know of so far. Since it was reported that there are 28 recruits, we still have a chance.

So, what do you think? Three is a bit thin for the Spring Game, but should be lots of snaps for all. Did we scare off any recruits with what appears to be a 4-year QB starter?

What about a recruit's not knowing who the OC would be; is that a factor? There is a noted thinning in the offensive ranks of recruits (not counting linemen). Has there ever been only 3 QB's on a UD roster for a season?
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 PM
1st Lieutenant

proudpapa will become famous soon enoughproudpapa will become famous soon enough
Smile Joe Spahr

I have it from a reliable source that he may have quit. I know that the quarterback that my son hosted was concerned about the ability to compete for the starting position. My son advised that he was very honest and up front with him. That Will started almost every game, that there was some level of inconsistency in his play. He told him that there were no guaranteed positions on the team. I do not believe that the offense has been spelled out for the upcoming season as far as the new OC goes. I have heard there will be some formation and play changes to come.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
I will miss seeing Zach with his long hair. Reminded me of Sunshine from Remember the Titans before he got it cut. Three QBs is pretty thin given how Bardo tends to run around. He has good speed so we need to keep that as a weapon but hopefully (if he is the starter) he will be a little more mature in picking his spots. Any word on changes to the coaching staff? OC, new hire to replace DW?

Last edited by PIONEER 8; 02-16-2012 at 05:38 PM..
Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 AM
1st Lieutenant

proudpapa will become famous soon enoughproudpapa will become famous soon enough
Coach Ochs will be the OC I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to proudpapa For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by proudpapa View Post
Coach Ochs will be the OC I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Have you heard about any other coaching hires or changes?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 AM
1st Lieutenant

Always Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PIONEER 8 View Post
Have you heard about any other coaching hires or changes?
I believe the DC was promoted from within the ranks. Don't take it to the bank, but I think it may be Coach Turner. It may still be a little early for new hires. If anything happens, likely Spring when other things start shaking loose.

Also, since you can find it doing a search, I presume this is for public consumption. If the link does not work, Google Dayton Football Workout.

http://youtu.be/HrRuym27aNE

Finally in keeping on topic thread, I had heard Joe had left the team but still planning on attending UD. He has a older brother going to school here.

Last edited by Always Proud; 02-17-2012 at 10:29 AM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Always Proud For This Totally Excellent Post:
chriscage (02-17-2012), DetroitFlyer (02-17-2012), Flyer Gramps (02-17-2012), PIONEER 8 (02-17-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Not exactly sure what UD is doing relative to coaches. Our website still does not list an official offensive and defensive coordinator. There are "Assistant Coach/Offense" and "Assistance Coach/Defense", listed.... It almost looks to me like RC is saying prove yourself in the next season or two and I will give you the official titles.... As for QB's, or any player for that matter, it is tough to do everything that football requires when you never get a chance to play. At an athletic scholarship program, the student-athlete has to stay on the team to keep his scholarship. I think this is actually something that can work to UD's favor in recruiting players. If Joe remains at UD for example, he keeps all of his aid. I seem to recall that he is a Chemical Engineering major. I can speak from direct experience that getting through that major by itself is very, very difficult. Doing it while playing football is amazing to me.... I had a Chemical Engineering classmate that played center on the team. I could never figure out how he survived. One thing seems certain; he was much smarter than me.... I have a friend that sent both his son and daughter to Stetson for golf. Both had athletic scholarship offers, but chose academic scholarships at Stetson in case the golf thing did not work out.... It might not be that important to the student-athlete as a high school senior, but this could be a big factor to mom and dad in recruiting.
Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Captain

Scout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura about
QB

Had dinner with my son last night, according to him we did sign a QB, younger brother of a current player ?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Captain

jmitch will become famous soon enoughjmitch will become famous soon enough
The Welsh family

Originally Posted by Scout86 View Post
Had dinner with my son last night, according to him we did sign a QB, younger brother of a current player ?
Ben Welsh's brother, Luke, has joined the Flyers.

http://www.jconline.com/article/2012...CFRONTPAGE%7Cp

I had heard that Ben would be returning for his fifth year to play with his brother. Here's hoping Ben can have a heathly senior season.

Last edited by jmitch; 02-21-2012 at 12:24 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jmitch For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (02-21-2012), Flyer Gramps (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Always a great sign when a younger sibling chooses UD. It sounds like he is still learning the QB position. UD should be a great fit as he will be able to learn and grow while attending the best school in the land! (In my completely unbiased opinion....)