Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Misery Loves Company
Misery Loves Company
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
02-10-2011
Misery Loves Company

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- Nobody in Flyerland is deriving much pleasure from watching what started out as a promising 2010-2011 basketball campaign melt into the muck of the merely okay. And despite the feverish protestations of message board posters everywhere 17-8 is not the end of the world or just cause to fire BG, it’s simply disappointingly ordinary, that’s all.

It’s probably of no consolation to any of us, but UD is in some fairly good company when it comes to mumbling and grumbling about their favorite hoops team, searching for an answer to the elusive question:

“Whahappened?”

Look no further than last years’ Final Four darlings, the Butler Bulldogs. Butler fans must lead the nation in face-palms as they think back 12 short months to their team’s magical run to the NCAA Championship game. The Indy Star provides a simple one-word answer to what ails Bulldog Nation:

Defense

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...-Bulldogs-s-D-

Another poster child for NCAA success has been Gonzaga. When Flyer fans kvetch about the Red and Blue you will often hear “Why can’t Dayton be like the Zags?” Well, those fans finally got their wish because this season the Red and Blue are pretty much the spittin’ image of the Catholic school on the West Coast.

Rush the Court provides the details:

http://rushthecourt.net/2011/02/07/w...-with-gonzaga/

Finally, the program that brought us Brian Gregory; the team that UD resembles the most; the blueprint for most of what the Flyers do on both sides of the ball -- the MSU Spartans -- are hurtin’ for certain.

The excellent writer Michael Rosenberg of The Detroit Freep provides a chilling ‘what if’ tale:

http://www.freep.com/article/2011021...ws|text|Sports

Read those final three sentences over again:

“As bad as this has been, Izzo is lucky he stayed in East Lansing rather than jump to Cleveland. And you know who else is lucky? The guy who would have replaced him.”

Gee, I wonder who “that guy” might be? Can you imagine the chaos that would have ensued at UD had Izzo gone to the Land of the Cleves and BG taken his place in East Lansing? This season is the proverbial day at the beach complete with seashells and balloons compared to what might have been had that occurred.

I guess what I’m trying to say is relax, Flyer Faithful…as hard as it may seem to believe, things actually could be worse!

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By Atlantic 10 on 02-10-2011, 11:29 AM
So your saying its alright to play 500 ball in the A 10 again, this will be the 4th year out of the last 5. I dont buy this crap, how can a university with so much settle for this every year. This is why we are behind X, which never skips a beat during a coaching change
By ud69 on 02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Atlantic10- I read Swampy's article as well. Nowhere did I see him say it was "alright to play 500 ball in the A10 again". The point of the article seemed to be that several other programs - some of which we emulate - are in the same distress we are. Did you see something different?
By mlekan on 02-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Did you see something different?

Yes, much different. Those programs have had a distinct measure of recent success. Comparing the Flyers to programs who have recently played in the National Championship game, been to the tourney 12 straight years, and has 6 Final Fours in the last 12 seasons misses the point: the Flyers only recent sucess is ONE tourney win and a bunch of squandered seasons. Considering the state of college basketball in which so many programs are having a down year, this should be the time for UD to shine. Instead, Groundhog Day.

Gregory is not a total failure; he has raised the basement such that 17-8 is considering bottoming out. But, the ceiling has stayed the same, and that is where Swampy's justification fails miserably.
By ud69 on 02-10-2011, 02:07 PM
mieken- You used the word "justification" to describe the article. Yet, the article is titled with the word "misery". Normally, if one justifies a position one is not in misery - yet this article talks of misery.

One one point of yours I agree wholeheartedly - This should be the time for UD to shine - and we are not.
By The Fat Tuna on 02-11-2011, 09:52 AM
I agree, we all get a little bent out of shape and have that "the sky is falling" feeling when things don't go right.

BG is good for 20 wins a year. That is pretty much a lock right now. But how about this "what if" scenario: What if UD didn't make that NIT run last year? What if they lost at UC in the second round? If not for that, I think people would be burning torches on Edwin C. Moses Blvd. I don't see UD ever being a perennial power (a la Xavier) under Gregory....but I also see UD winning at least 19 games every year.
By NovaFlyer on 02-12-2011, 09:57 PM
everyone starts ot promising...few finsh that way. we are still a premier student-athlete program and we ill produce more people who make a difference.
By NovaFlyer on 02-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Not sure where to post this but where were the students today?
Comment

Article Tools