User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
X was never injured. He had a bad attitude about the new coach. He wanted to continue to fling three-point shots and Anthony wanted him to be more of a force in the paint. X made up ailments like a bad back and sore throat, and then there were the academic issues. He is gone and I hope Anthony gets a young man in here who is worthy of the Flyer uniform. X was not worthy of it.
There's an entire other thread where anyone and everyone is spewing their disdain for XW. I'd rather focus on the positive.

I don't know what to expect from Mikesell, but I'm hopeful we get a player who will be comfortable in the role he is asked to play. Someone who watched and learned this year. A player who worked on his individual skill set like shooting, ball handling, strength.

If we get that player, I see a very solid contributor who helps take the team back to where it belongs.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (03-12-2018)
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2018, 06:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDTradition View Post
Why are people so apprehensive to include Ryan Mikesell on the "can't wait to see him play" list.

He started numerous games on last year's team. Contributed quality minutes with a high BBall IQ. His IQ is probably at an all time high. His body will be healthy and ready to go. Because of his bball style - I think he will be ready to go from the blast of the starting gun.

He is finally not hampered by a genetic disorder.

Also - his ailment was not an accident. He didn't blow out a knee or similar which certainly challenges every athlete when they have returned to sports. He had sore hips and now they are not sore. I suspect that there is nothing that he can't do upon his return.

Why isn't there tremendous optimism that we have a healthy Ryan back on the team?
We are in the woe is us stage. Wallowing in our misery. Optimism doses not start until the Red & Blue game.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-13-2018), Gazoo (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 07:10 PM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
X was never injured. He had a bad attitude about the new coach. He wanted to continue to fling three-point shots and Anthony wanted him to be more of a force in the paint. X made up ailments like a bad back and sore throat, and then there were the academic issues. He is gone and I hope Anthony gets a young man in here who is worthy of the Flyer uniform. X was not worthy of it.
He actually does have an injury. He was receiving treatment last Friday. I know this because my family member was receiving treatment at the same place at the same time. So yes X’s time here did not work out but we shouldn’t chastise a 21 year old college athlete for not living up to our expectations. Just wish him luck and hope he figures it all out as he continues to learn.
Posted via Mobile Device
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Kevinob15 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (03-12-2018), Furio (03-12-2018), Jeff (03-12-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-12-2018), OSU Flyer (03-12-2018), SeasonTicketFan (03-12-2018), TerryK_67 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 07:31 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Why are people so apprehensive to include Ryan Mikesell on the "can't wait to see him play" list.

He started numerous games on last year's team. Contributed quality minutes with a high BBall IQ. His IQ is probably at an all time high. His body will be healthy and ready to go. Because of his bball style - I think he will be ready to go from the blast of the starting gun.

Also - his ailment was not an accident. He didn't blow out a knee or similar which certainly challenges every athlete when they have returned to sports. He had sore hips and now they are not sore. I suspect that there is nothing that he can't do upon his return.

Why isn't there tremendous optimism that we have a healthy Ryan back on the team?
I'm excited to see what he can do. Glad he's healthy and working hard. Beyond what he can do on the court he seems like a guy who could provide some much needed upperclassman leadership.

We've seen flashes like the SE Missouri as a freshman & Alabama, Vanderbilt St. Bonnies last year.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:57 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
We are in the woe is us stage. Wallowing in our misery. Optimism doses not start until the Red & Blue game.
Or maybe Detwon Rogers memory is still in some folks head.

Ryan has great court sense and we can use that anytime.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 11:12 PM
Just off the Jet

Dave497 is on a distinguished road
Bucky said during a broadcast after Mikesell has been practicing for about a month. That he was the second best player on the court. Now that makes me optimistic.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:21 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
That does not make me optimistic. I like Ryan a lot, but if he's the second best player on the court, we've got issues.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Phi Psi Flyer '09 (03-13-2018), rollo (03-13-2018), ruechalgrin (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 07:50 AM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
That does not make me optimistic. I like Ryan a lot, but if he's the second best player on the court, we've got issues.
This post makes no sense. You saw the rest of the team play this season, we clearly have issues. If Mikesell and/or Toppin are better than what we put on the floor this season that would be the one of the few reasons for optimism.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:28 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, probably because people have been led to believe before that someone looked "great" in practice and then when that said player came back and didn't score 38 points in his debut, they felt underwhelmed.

For his basketball IQ alone (rarely makes a stupid pass, always sees the entire court, etc..) I can't wait to see him back on the court. I can't imagine how difficult it was to play with chronically sore hips knowing that it would affect everything from defense to your shot. I don't expect him to post 21 points his first game back but I'm willing to bet we'll all see high quality minutes - and that is what this team needs.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sid Louick (03-13-2018), UDTradition (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:30 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
Saying good bye to X does not make the Flyers a better team next year than this year. He was not playing let alone starting and the Flyers lose a senior who is expected to be replaced by an incoming freshman.

There is a lot of man love for Landers on this board but if he is starting in the role he played this year the team will not be any better than this year and perhaps worse. You have to like his hustle but a power forward he is not. He could play the three spot but that is not ideal for the team or he could play the 2 spot but then who sits Jordan Davis or the new freshman savior? My own opinion is that Trey is a born sixth man who comes in and plays a variety of positions, gets as much time or more on the court as any of the starters but he should not be a starter.

This team needs a makeover in the front court. Maybe Mikesell is not the answer but the status quo is definitely a recipe for failure.
Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
maddog07 (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:33 AM
1st Lieutenant

Sitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Browns View Post
This post makes no sense. You saw the rest of the team play this season, we clearly have issues. If Mikesell and/or Toppin are better than what we put on the floor this season that would be the one of the few reasons for optimism.
Still remember Archie’s comments when he landed Mikesell...”he will be everyone’s favorite player in a couple years.” I’ll take another Cunningham/Trey level player. Predicting he’ll be the glue that holds things together out there...the soccer midfielder who will hit the upper 90 if open with a crap load of assists.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Sitdowndigger For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:27 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Sarge is a glorious beacon of lightSarge is a glorious beacon of lightSarge is a glorious beacon of lightSarge is a glorious beacon of lightSarge is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
My own opinion is that Trey is a born sixth man who comes in and plays a variety of positions, gets as much time or more on the court as any of the starters but he should not be a starter.
The fact that Trey can play a variety of positions should not keep him from being a starter. Personally, I am going to set the tone early with the guys that bust their butts on every possession and reward those that give their all at every practice.

You want to start, earn it!
Mad Props to Sarge For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Saying good bye to X does not make the Flyers a better team next year than this year. He was not playing let alone starting and the Flyers lose a senior who is expected to be replaced by an incoming freshman.

There is a lot of man love for Landers on this board but if he is starting in the role he played this year the team will not be any better than this year and perhaps worse. You have to like his hustle but a power forward he is not. He could play the three spot but that is not ideal for the team or he could play the 2 spot but then who sits Jordan Davis or the new freshman savior? My own opinion is that Trey is a born sixth man who comes in and plays a variety of positions, gets as much time or more on the court as any of the starters but he should not be a starter.

This team needs a makeover in the front court. Maybe Mikesell is not the answer but the status quo is definitely a recipe for failure.
You have no idea if they are not a better team minus X Williams. Take away a bad attitude and replace that with a possible grad transfer, excellent JUCO player or another high level freshman who has not signed yet....Safe to say x gave them nothing this year..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (03-13-2018), Sarge (03-14-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:59 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
The best player on every struggling football team is the backup quarterback. The best players on struggling college basketball teams are redshirt players. Fan perspective give always.

I don’t have big expectations for Mikesell next year. Will he suddenly become more athletic? He is smart player and he knows where to be on the court. I am just not sure if he is an impact player.

I like more of what I have seen of Toppin, but again that has only been practice and a limited number at that.

Any contributions from Mikesell will be a plus, but I don’t expect Josh Cunningham type contributions either.

To be successful next year, this team needs to do more than learn how to hold its own. It needs to be much more powerful especially on defense and on the road.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:18 AM
1st Lieutenant

Sitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
The best player on every struggling football team is the backup quarterback. The best players on struggling college basketball teams are redshirt players. Fan perspective give always.

I don’t have big expectations for Mikesell next year. Will he suddenly become more athletic? He is smart player and he knows where to be on the court. I am just not sure if he is an impact player.

I like more of what I have seen of Toppin, but again that has only been practice and a limited number at that.

Any contributions from Mikesell will be a plus, but I don’t expect Josh Cunningham type contributions either.

To be successful next year, this team needs to do more than learn how to hold its own. It needs to be much more powerful especially on defense and on the road.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2018, 10:27 AM
1st Lieutenant

Are you okay?....any contributions from Mikesell? What is it toppins stache you like?.....

I am done until next October....someone send an alert if we get a recruit
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2018, 10:47 AM

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future

How "athletic" is the Aldridge kid at Davidson? Basketball "smarts" can make up for a small dose of athleticism.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sid Louick For This Totally Excellent Post:
CJ2etc (03-14-2018), Gazoo (03-13-2018), oldfan (03-16-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
There was a 'kid' I seem to remember that had BB smarts and grit that was unparalleled on the team. I don't think he was given much athletic cache during his entire career yet he turned out plenty dam good.

I think his name was :

https://twitter.com/daytonmbb/status/707945009216135169

You may have heard of him!

With an improved Mikesell who knows but don't sell him short (OH! A double PUN!!! or is it?)
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 12:03 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I thought Paxson was very athletic. Deceptive quick.

There are exceptions to every rule. Larry Bird did not look athletic either. For every Larry and Jim, there are hundreds and thousands of players who are OK.

Mikesell did not exactly tear it up his first two years. He some moments here and there.

What I saw of Toppin, he is long and tall, has some quickness and has a nice touch around the basket. Again, only limited views this year.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:14 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It happens all the time. Why not us? Add a player or two, lose an attitude or two, and the team does a 180. I can't begin to tell you how we will do it, but we have experience and upgrades which have a chance to gel next season. But like the past few years we will know early when we are done with Atlantis what the future holds.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 12:29 PM
1st Lieutenant

There are exceptions to every rule. Larry Bird did not look athletic either. For every Larry and Jim, there are hundreds and thousands of players who are OK.

Mikesell did not exactly tear it up his first two years. He some moments here and there.

What I saw of Toppin, he is long and tall, has some quickness and has a nice touch around the basket. Again, only limited views this year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2018, 12:33 PM
1st Lieutenant

Freshman highlights 18 years of age...no stiff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dfvcOizh_XU
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sitdowndigger For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (03-13-2018), UDTradition (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 12:41 PM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sitdowndigger View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
And soph

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PpGUUtzoqiY

Last edited by Sitdowndigger; 03-13-2018 at 12:43 PM..
Mad Props to Sitdowndigger For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 12:49 PM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
There was a 'kid' I seem to remember that had BB smarts and grit that was unparalleled on the team. I don't think he was given much athletic cache during his entire career yet he turned out plenty dam good.

I think his name was :

https://twitter.com/daytonmbb/status/707945009216135169

You may have heard of him!

With an improved Mikesell who knows but don't sell him short (OH! A double PUN!!! or is it?)
Sir NJ71, did you ever see Jim Paxson play? Help me out here because you can't be sober/sane/serious if you're making a comparison of the athleticism of Mikesell vs Paxson.
jack72 (03-13-2018), maddog07 (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 01:52 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
There is zero basis for this comment. Having not seen the best of RM, you've decided his best just won't do.

On a very good team where his job was to just do grunt work, and hobbled by injury, he got 5.7 / 3.9. (Devin Oliver: 4.9 / 5.0 as a sophomore in the same number of minutes.)

There is no reason he can't significantly improve on that, particularly from outside of 3, with better lift in his legs.

There is a lot of man love for Landers on this board but if he is starting in the role he played this year the team will not be any better than this year and perhaps worse.
So you're saying you would take this lineup:
Crutcher (Fr.), Davis (Fr.), Davis (Sr.), Landers (So.), Cunningham (Jr.)

Over this lineup:
Crutcher (So.), Davis (So.), Landers (Jr.), Mikesell (Jr.), Cunningham (Sr.)

Good luck with that. How much shall we wager?

I remember this one guy who started as a sophomore. Couldn't shoot straight, undersized, and could only go left but played his heart out. Kyle something-or-other. Was the heart and soul of the team. Many said "if he's starting next year we're screwed". A GREAT many. He started as sophomore, then as a junior and a senior. That team turned out decent.

SMH. You know, Mikesell has a lot in common with Larry Bird, John Chambers, John Paxon, Jim Paxon, John Stockton, Jerry West, Kevin McHale, Gordon Heyward, etc. And that thing is. . .

Now Toppin, HE'S QUICK. I once saw him dribble past a guy in practice.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
CJ2etc (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
So getting players that are better than the ones we have currently is a bad thing? Are you also hoping that Cohill, Toppin and Matos are worse than the players we have?
Old 03-13-2018, 03:39 PM

TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
So getting players that are better than the ones we have currently is a bad thing? Are you also hoping that Cohill, Toppin and Matos are worse than the players we have?
This is so nonsensical I'm not sure how to respond. In fact, I think I'll just let the stupidity of your comment shine for all to see.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
There is zero basis for this comment. Having not seen the best of RM, you've decided his best just won't do.

SMH. You know, Mikesell has a lot in common with Larry Bird, John Chambers, John Paxon, Jim Paxon, John Stockton, Jerry West, Kevin McHale, Gordon Heyward, etc. And that thing is. . .

Now Toppin, HE'S QUICK. I once saw him dribble past a guy in practice.
The entirety of the statement was about upgrading the talent on the team via recruiting. I like RM, but if you're comparing him to Bird, McHale, Paxon, etc., well, I don't know what to tell you. Those guys were some of the best in the NBA ever for their time. RM is not the next coming of Larry Bird
Old 03-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Why are many forgetting that three freshmen, Crutcher, Davis, Kostas, are all going to be better than they were this year which in and of itself makes next years team better. Not to mention, I'm not convinced Trey has hit his ceiling yet. Get a similar year from Cunningham and we should be much better with just those five not to mention the possibility of more depth with Matos, Toppin, Mikesell and Cohill (although he may need a year of seasoning to truly contribute).
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer69ers (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 03:58 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
We don't know what Mikesell is capable of. A bad hip inhibits daily life let alone basketball

He has put up some good games against major conference competition when you look past the stat line

Last edited by OSU Flyer; 03-13-2018 at 04:00 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-13-2018), UDTradition (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 04:33 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
The entirety of the statement was about upgrading the talent on the team via recruiting. I like RM, but if you're comparing him to Bird, McHale, Paxon, etc., well, I don't know what to tell you. Those guys were some of the best in the NBA ever for their time. RM is not the next coming of Larry Bird
You missed the point on my comparisons.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:51 PM

Actually in those clips above from Ryan's first two years he is moving pretty well. It makes you wonder how long it took to break down, and what kind of tolerance is he going to enjoy over a tough long schedule. Makes me recall Kendall Pollard's struggles. Hope it all works out for Ryan.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Why are many forgetting that three freshmen, Crutcher, Davis, Kostas, are all going to be better than they were this year which in and of itself makes next years team better. Not to mention, I'm not convinced Trey has hit his ceiling yet. Get a similar year from Cunningham and we should be much better with just those five not to mention the possibility of more depth with Matos, Toppin, Mikesell and Cohill (although he may need a year of seasoning to truly contribute).

I'm thinking we might actually be pretty good . . .
Mad Props to Flyer69ers For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-13-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 08:58 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Me thinks you folks doubting Mikesell as an athlete might need to understand what being an athlete really means. So if Mikesell ran faster than a young Paxson (very easily might have), jumped higher than him (Mikesell can get up), could hit a baseball better and farther, could play shortstop better than Paxson (Mikesell a heck of a baseball player), throw a football better, play golf better, play tennis better, etc. would Paxson still be a "better athlete" than Mikesell or maybe, just maybe, a far better basketball player? You need to decipher exactly what athleticism and what being an athlete really means and not get caught up in all the slobber regarding ESPN top ten dunks...
Edit/Delete Message
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 09:05 AM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Sir NJ71, did you ever see Jim Paxson play? Help me out here because you can't be sober/sane/serious if you're making a comparison of the athleticism of Mikesell vs Paxson.
I saw most of Paxson's home games in person his Jr/Sr years. Mikesell reminded me of him early on. Paxson never stopped moving, it was amazing.

Not sure we can ever compare two guys separated by 40 years. They do have similar attributes.

What we know now about Mikesell's health his sophomore year explains what we saw last year.

RM may not be JP, but if he's 100% RM, he has a chance to be a very good A-10 player, likely not an NBA player. There's no reason he couldn't be a similar player to the kid at Davidson. We'll see.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 09:07 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sitdowndigger View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, we would have had a few more wins last year with that player on the court. Gives me hope that we’ll have a few more wins next year just by having a more experienced version of that player back on the court.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2018, 04:20 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
"So you're saying you would take this lineup:

Over this lineup:

Good luck with that. How much shall we wager? "

Why would I wager against myself? The only way I win is if your starting lineup is the one AG goes with next year and proves to be as I project a 500 ball club. Because this would mean that the other big men on the team are incapable of moving Trey from his starting position. What it indicates to me is that we will be just as weak up front next year as we were this year.

My hope is that Kostas or perhaps Toppin prove good enough to start and that the starting line up is Cunningham, Kostas, Mikesell, Davis and Crutcher with Trey coming in as the sixth man.

I am not sure what the point of bringing in Kyle Davis as a comparable. Why not just use Don May as the comparable. Both are about 6"4" and both play the forward spot and both hustled when they were in the game heck they were both local high school players. Or perhaps we just compare Trey to Trey and the skill set he brings to the floor.

And I am not saying Trey is not as good as Don May, perhaps he is the second coming. I would love it if he were. In my opinion I just have not seen it; what I have seen is a guy who would be an excellent sixth man. Just an opinion not a fact.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

Over this lineup:

Why would I wager against myself? The only way I win is if your starting lineup is the one AG goes with next year and proves to be as I project a 500 ball club. Because this would mean that the other big men on the team are incapable of moving Trey from his starting position. What it indicates to me is that we will be just as weak up front next year as we were this year.

My hope is that Kostas or perhaps Toppin prove good enough to start and that the starting line up is Cunningham, Kostas, Mikesell, Davis and Crutcher with Trey coming in as the sixth man.

I am not sure what the point of bringing in Kyle Davis as a comparable. Why not just use Don May as the comparable. Both are about 6"4" and both play the forward spot and both hustled when they were in the game heck they were both local high school players. Or perhaps we just compare Trey to Trey and the skill set he brings to the floor.

And I am not saying Trey is not as good as Don May, perhaps he is the second coming. I would love it if he were. In my opinion I just have not seen it; what I have seen is a guy who would be an excellent sixth man. Just an opinion not a fact.
I'm highly doubting with the year he had this year that Trey will not be a starter, even if he would be a valuable sixth man.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyers98 (03-14-2018), Gazoo (03-15-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 05:04 PM
Colonel

zmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud of
With what Kostas showed at the end of the season ideally he would be starting after a full offseason. Who knows what Mikesell will look like in live action
Old 03-14-2018, 05:18 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I'm highly doubting with the year he had this year that Trey will not be a starter, even if he would be a valuable sixth man.
Thank you. I mean he gave the most consistent effort of anyone on the team, improved immensely from the start of the season and was a vocal leader. If the “reward” for that is the presumption that you lose your starting spot to a guy who is returning form injury as an unknown, I think we might have a couple more transfers than we are projecting.

The beauty of all this is it matters not a bit what we think. These guys will actually lace up their shoes, play some basketball and their coaches will decide what players and combinations give the team the best chance at success. I realize it is the off-season and people need stuff to discuss but the fact that people are actually arguing over this is nuts to me.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TA111 (03-14-2018), TerryK_67 (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 05:34 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I think the front line rotation ( I think we may actually have a frontline rotation) next year will depend upon what Toppin has to offer. Without him I see Landers and Cunningham starting with Kostas coming in for Trey then Trey back in for Cunningham. Toppin could change that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2018, 05:47 PM

Obidiah way, there will be no one Toppin that.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (03-15-2018), Jeff (03-16-2018), OSU Flyer (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 07:37 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute

Over this lineup:

I think he was talking about this year's team, with Darrel Davis as the senior, unless there was sarcasm that I missed.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:36 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Mikesell is not and never will be Jim Paxson, but he has a chance to be Damon Goodwin. I'll even take 75% of Damon...
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-15-2018), Flyer 86 (03-15-2018), Jeff (03-15-2018), TXFlyerFan (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:21 PM
General

Once again some people are counting on the guy who didn't play at all last year (OT) and a guy who was wildly (and I mean wildly) inconsistent (KA) being the saviors.

It could happen. Maybe OT and KA are so much improved we just can't keep them off the court. But Trey proved everything there is to prove about being a starter for the second half of this year. I'll plan to go to battle with him.

Not because he's the #1 athletic specimen in the gym (though certainly not bad!!), but because you can't measure leadership and desire in a vertical leap or with a tape measure. Every team needs a level headed glue guy and a leader to bring together the specialized pieces.

But hey, I could be wrong.
pmcmullen (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand all this stuff against Trey. Were you guys watching a different team than I did? This is remarkably simple, really. If you pull Trey off the team (or the floor) this past year, we were positively abysmal. Not only the stats, but the intangibles.

If I'm coaching this team, Trey plays. Period.
Mad Props to pmcmullen For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Don't think anyone is against Trey. More lamenting that given his somewhat limited game, he's one of our best players, when on a quality team he would appear to be a sixth man type player. Sure he works hard, be he is not a great shooter, or penetrator, too slow for a guard and too small inside.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2018, 08:08 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Trey as a Sophomore led the troops and brought KA back from the dead, i.e. got him away from X, he was the floor general, not the point guards. So,

He's not athletic enough? Check
He would be a 6th man on a winning team. Check
Working hard is not enough. Check
Size sucks for either position. Check

Trey Landers is our most important player. Cohill or no Cohill, he's still our best player next year. Starting lineup may be different this year but it ain't gonna be because Trey isn't in there
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 08:18 AM
General

3rd in scoring. In the first 13 games he took double digit number of shots 0 times. In the last 16 games he took double digit shots 8 times.

2nd in steals, missed leading the team by 1 steal.

Shot 58% from the field, second only to Cunningham.

Started all 29 games.

Shot 35% from 3 including 48% over his last 13 games.

73% FT shooter, 3rd on the team in FT's shot.

Six-foot-five, and fulla muscle. (He said do'ya speaka my language?)

I could be wrong, and I'm not saying he's going to finish as one of the all-time greats in a Flyer uniform, but I'll just be really surprised if he's not a starter next year.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (03-16-2018), CT Flyer (03-16-2018), Figgie123 (03-16-2018), Flyer2 (03-16-2018), fuz_forward (03-16-2018), MikeFlyer (03-16-2018), rollo (03-16-2018), TXFlyerFan (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 08:30 AM
2nd Lieutenant

116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light
Landers is a starter for a program like ours. For a Power 5 program, maybe he is a 6th man. During many many games this year, I found myself saying "Trey HAS to be out there" to my wife and friends. He simply impacts the game positively on both ends. I don't care if he starts or not, Landers will be out there a lot because of what he brings.

No, he doesn't have ideal size, but he did a pretty good job guarding taller players this past year.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:46 AM

'Undersized' hasn't stopped Ohio State from having a pretty good season.

Style of play matters. Trey will be fine as long as UD doesn't go to a BG type offense. The faster, the better for My Flyers. What we need now is depth, which will allow us to run/move/cut for 40 minutes, not 25.
wes (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:15 AM
Major

Buster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud ofBuster has much to be proud of
Rollo, I would look forward to 25 minutes of hustle right now. Anyone see Buffalo last night? Holy crap. 5 Tasmanian devils out there. We have one.
Back on topic now. Can anyone out there in the field of medicine explain to me how you can have TWO hip replacements and still be a top performing athlete? I like Ryan's play, I want to believe he can play and hustle, jump, dive, and go like crazy for 40 minutes a night if needed. But I do not understand how that is possible with the hips of a 60 year old. I thought his career was over when it was decided he need hip replacement surgery. I seriously don't get it. Is it just a means to get an education that he is sticking it out?
Old 03-16-2018, 09:21 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Rollo, I would look forward to 25 minutes of hustle right now. Anyone see Buffalo last night? Holy crap. 5 Tasmanian devils out there. We have one.
Back on topic now. Can anyone out there in the field of medicine explain to me how you can have TWO hip replacements and still be a top performing athlete? I like Ryan's play, I want to believe he can play and hustle, jump, dive, and go like crazy for 40 minutes a night if needed. But I do not understand how that is possible with the hips of a 60 year old. I thought his career was over when it was decided he need hip replacement surgery. I seriously don't get it. Is it just a means to get an education that he is sticking it out?
He didn't have hip replacements. They fixed an inpingement.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-16-2018), TA111 (03-16-2018), UD62 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:27 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Just to clarify, Mikesell did not have hip replacement surgery, he had hip impingement surgery. I can't help you past that. Sounds like this may have been an issue for a while. With the pain removed, mobility increased, and his mind freed up thinking about it, I'm hoping Mikesell 2.0 will be a major piece of the puzzle in 18'-19'.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-16-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-16-2018), TA111 (03-16-2018), TommyGola (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:34 AM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Just to clarify, Mikesell did not have hip replacement surgery, he had hip impingement surgery. I can't help you past that. Sounds like this may have been an issue for a while. With the pain removed, mobility increased, and his mind freed up thinking about it, I'm hoping Mikesell 2.0 will be a major piece of the puzzle in 18'-19'.
This diagnosis is becoming more and more common in youth athletes mostly because it was a previously overlooked problem. Athletes typically make full recoveries after surgery with no long term restrictions. Mikesell should be moving free and easy by now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Kevinob15 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:46 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Found this statement by Neil Sullivan on Ryan Mikesell 2.0 - appears that Ryan uses the name Steve . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7zNY0I5JNI

Last edited by N2663R; 03-16-2018 at 01:12 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-16-2018), UDGutter2 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kevinob15 View Post
This diagnosis is becoming more and more common in youth athletes mostly because it was a previously overlooked problem. Athletes typically make full recoveries after surgery with no long term restrictions. Mikesell should be moving free and easy by now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not saying completely comparable, but it really took Devin Mesoraco 2 years to recover. He had some additional issues beyond just the impingement, but after being out for a year, it can lead to other injuries as the body has lost so much of it's previous ability to handle certain athletic stresses. I hope that's not the case with RM.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:53 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Maybe he will be like Johnny Davis after he got a pair of contacts.
Mad Props to oldfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 02:13 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Not saying completely comparable, but it really took Devin Mesoraco 2 years to recover. He had some additional issues beyond just the impingement, but after being out for a year, it can lead to other injuries as the body has lost so much of it's previous ability to handle certain athletic stresses. I hope that's not the case with RM.
Mesoraco came back after 10 months, and Mikesell will be about 18 months. Mesoraco played in 16 games, then tore his labrum. Not sure there is any relation to the other injury, nor have I seen that speculated. So my glass is mostly full, and Mikesell will be 100%.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:52 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
is Ryan related to Daniel Mikesell, founder of Mikesell's potato chips?
Old 03-17-2018, 11:51 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
'Undersized' hasn't stopped Ohio State from having a pretty good season.

Style of play matters. Trey will be fine as long as UD doesn't go to a BG type offense. The faster, the better for My Flyers. What we need now is depth, which will allow us to run/move/cut for 40 minutes, not 25.
Agreed. Scheme and skill beat size every time.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:59 AM
General

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I could be wrong, and I'm not saying he's going to finish as one of the all-time greats in a Flyer uniform, but I'll just be really surprised if he's not a starter next year.
For all the people who were sure Trey would definitely not start this year.

He's started all 13 games so far. 2nd in minutes played, second in FT's, 4th in scoring, and 1st in rebounds.I don't think having Kostas on the team would have changed a lot for him since Mikesell has started at PF and that's where Kostas would have been.

By how much is he first in rebounds? He's got 104, the next guy on the list has 67. That's 55% more than the next closest guy. That's officially "a lot" more rebounds. I don't think Kostas would have snatched that many rebounds from him.

Is he just the prettiest girl in the ugly contest? Well we've been outrebounded 4 times in 13 games.
-Once by 1 (Presbyterian - Trey 1st in rebounding)
-Once by 2 (Oklahoma - Trey 1st in rebounding)
-Once by 3 (Virginia - Trey 2nd in rebounding)
-Once by 10 (Mississippi State - Trey 1st in rebounding but did not have a great game)

So it's not like we're getting trounced on the boards. And it's not like he only rebounds against the bad teams.

Toppin definitely has more upside but there are reasons Trey is still starting. Unfortunately he's completely lost confidence in his shot (20% from 3 after shooting 35% last year), but I really have to disagree that Trey is slow, or too small to rebound, or that he can't penetrate.

Last edited by Gazoo; 01-02-2019 at 09:02 AM..
UDTradition (01-03-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 09:21 AM

On top of all that, his a team leader. And a passionate one.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (01-06-2019), Justin (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 09:54 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
One thing I have liked about Trey's game is he can "finish" around the bucket despite his relative lack of size. Also, he pours his guts out every time he laces up his shoes. He is a true Flyer.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
cobra8u (01-02-2019), tirebiter (01-02-2019), UDTradition (01-03-2019)