Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-31-2016, 12:58 PM
Captain

jabo911 has a spectacular aura aboutjabo911 has a spectacular aura about
This Season So Far

You may remember the Xavier twin mountains, 6’5” Amber Harris and 6’6” Ta'Shia Phillips. They leave (and so does Coach Kevin McGuff) after they graduate, and the program has had some lean years with 2014-2015 being their first winning season since 2011.

The Flyers are in pretty much the same boat. Lost two of our best players, didn’t lose our coach but had a bad year, then lost our coach just when the next season is ready to begin and now look where we are.

Feel free to flame me because of mentioning X but we are going through some of the same things they experienced. UD was smart to bring someone that was very familiar with the program because the new coach had to hit the ground not just running, but in a sprint. She has taken the tools that were in the toolbox and has tried to make something that looks like a winning program. I sure she knew the task at hand and knew it would be a challenge but took the job anyway.

As a new head coach, she needs to grow into a new position and see what works and doesn’t work for her. All the while, we as the fans have watched Coach Jabir develop a winning program and all we see are the walls tumbling down around us. I for one hate each loss and just like many of you, I criticize and complain about players and coaches for everything from lack of athleticism to poor coaching decisions. We do this because we love our team and want to watch a great team win games.

While I don’t want to go back to the days of Coach Haskins, we may have to watch a couple bad years and hope that Shauna can right this ship and guide it back to our winning ways. I’m sorry for this long post but I’m trying to pump myself up for the rest of the season. As always, I will be at today’s game cheering and probably bit*hing but I’ll enjoy watching our Flyers.
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2016, 02:16 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jabo911 View Post
You may remember the Xavier twin mountains, 6’5” Amber Harris and 6’6” Ta'Shia Phillips. They leave (and so does Coach Kevin McGuff) after they graduate, and the program has had some lean years with 2014-2015 being their first winning season since 2011.

The Flyers are in pretty much the same boat. Lost two of our best players, didn’t lose our coach but had a bad year, then lost our coach just when the next season is ready to begin and now look where we are.

Feel free to flame me because of mentioning X but we are going through some of the same things they experienced. UD was smart to bring someone that was very familiar with the program because the new coach had to hit the ground not just running, but in a sprint. She has taken the tools that were in the toolbox and has tried to make something that looks like a winning program. I sure she knew the task at hand and knew it would be a challenge but took the job anyway.

As a new head coach, she needs to grow into a new position and see what works and doesn’t work for her. All the while, we as the fans have watched Coach Jabir develop a winning program and all we see are the walls tumbling down around us. I for one hate each loss and just like many of you, I criticize and complain about players and coaches for everything from lack of athleticism to poor coaching decisions. We do this because we love our team and want to watch a great team win games.

While I don’t want to go back to the days of Coach Haskins, we may have to watch a couple bad years and hope that Shauna can right this ship and guide it back to our winning ways. I’m sorry for this long post but I’m trying to pump myself up for the rest of the season. As always, I will be at today’s game cheering and probably bit*hing but I’ll enjoy watching our Flyers.
Don't think that will be the case, I expect Shauna to right the ship an finish in top 3, then take the tourney
Old 12-31-2016, 02:45 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I think we are going to struggle to finish out of the bottom 6 in the league. Fundamentals you hang your hat on just arent there. Hopefully Im seeing it wrong.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 12-31-2016, 02:55 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I feel LC will shoot her way out of her funk. The freshmen will mature an Jenna will get some pressure off her. Kelley wil be steady but not the Kelley we all know an love.

Expect Harris to eat up the a10.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:19 PM
Captain

jabo911 has a spectacular aura aboutjabo911 has a spectacular aura about
I'm hoping we can pull out a string of wins and have a respectable finish. Today was a game that they didn't seem to give up in the 4th and came out with a win. That is one of the things we will need to finish out the year.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:50 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,523 Times in 771 Posts
Barney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant future
There were some posts questioning Kelley's defense which was outstanding today on Leidel. Aggressive game for SGA and Layfield's offense continues to get stronger. I do want to see more minutes from Scaife. St Louis is the best in the conference but no reason UD can't pile up wins and can't lose in Olean.
Mad Props to Barney Sentner For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 05:35 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,115 Posts
jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
Austria now 46 points away from 1000.

It would be cool to witness her hit the mark at UD Arena but with three of the next four games on the road I'm hoping we don't have to wait until that fifth game. I'd rather see her move past Kizzy Dawson (1013) during that fifth game!

Last edited by jaburr91; 12-31-2016 at 05:39 PM..
Old 12-31-2016, 05:55 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Why did we not double up on 00 when she got the Ball? Our game is so predictable, wish we would do some different things to get the opponent questioning.
Mad Props to NovaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 06:13 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,115 Posts
jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by NovaFlyer View Post
Why did we not double up on 00 when she got the Ball? Our game is so predictable, wish we would do some different things to get the opponent questioning.
00 picked up her fourth foul near the end of third quarter -- I kept waiting for Dayton to pound it inside the entire fourth quarter and force her to avoid that fifth -- but it never/rarely happened.

Dayton actually ran some 'movement' plays for the bigs against Texas A&M. Not so much against UVa. Of course, they were hitting EVERYTHING from the outside against A&M which always helps.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jaburr91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jabo911 (12-31-2016), jack72 (12-31-2016)
Old 01-25-2017, 10:08 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
How we stand now - 1-25-2017

Thought I would revisit this thread. Things have really improved since Chris's
post # 3 on 12-23-2016.

We now lead the A-10. Part may be weakness in the A-10, but the team has definitely improved. The question is why.

IMO, while noting that I only "see" the team rarely on the computer, several things stand out from the statistics.

1) SGA, Layfield and Harris are averaging, as a group, 24.3 rebounds per game for the season to date. It also appears that the offensive rebounding recently has greatly helped the scoring.

2) SGA has been putting up big numbers in some recent games and fair numbers in most recent games.

3) Kelley seems to be getting stronger and better as the season goes on.

4) Coach Green deserves credit, certainly recently for improved play and may
be behind item Number 1) above. ( I think she often plays all three at the same time to try to dominate the boards.)

Earlier this season, I thought this team could only make the NCAA tournament
by winning the A-10 tournament. Now I think an at large bid may be possible, if the team gets to the A-10 tournament final, especially if it wins the A-10 regular season championship. (Health permitting)

Go Flyers
Old 01-26-2017, 01:50 AM
General of the Air Force

I am actually pleased with the way the season has gone and the way it started off at 3-6. Had we started off with a lot of wins I do not believe the team would have gotten the scrutiny it needed to become Shauna's team. Early success would have been attributed to Jabirs team/players.

In a post game interview Shauna explained the difficulty she experienced in the early preseason and early schedule. Coming in late she did not have the time to properly prepare the team for the immediate schedule which was loaded heavy on the front end with game after game and little time for true practices.

Essentially she said she and the coaches had to evaluate the players during games to try and find the right combinations and what each players talents were and how to design an offense that would allow for more flow and the "W".

With her first break a whole week off she was able to work with the players and added new offensive sets/plays freeing up the stagnant offense. Texas A&M was the first team to see the new Shauna Green's Dayton Flyers. Very convincing win. With the exception of Virginia Dayton has been on a winning streak and finding ways to finish games. Still a work in progress but progress is indeed what the flyers have achieved.

Her rotation is shortened and results are more points in the paint, rebounds and in general scoring. The defense has tightened and become downright stingy.

The best news is that the best is yet to come for the Shauna Green Flyers. Another NCAA trip is on the horizon.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jabo911 (01-26-2017), NovaFlyer (01-26-2017), rollo (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:42 AM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
While we have put together a nice win streak, several of those games have been nail biters. That being said, the ladies have shown significant improvement - perhaps Layfield more than anybody. Scaife is giving us good minutes. Our rebounding is so much better. Austria is getting her legs back from her ACL injury. Turnovers are still a work-in-process. However, other than Scaife, the bench is really weak.

I do hope the A-10 rethinks the scheduling of an early conference game. I do not think we lose to La Salle if we play them during the normal conference schedule period.

We currently sit at 68 in the RPI with 8 games left. Our next 2 games - Rhody and Davidson - are cream puffs. Even with 2 wins our RPI will drop. The A-10 is so weak of a conference this year that even if we win out and get to the A-10 finals I am not sure we can raise our RPI to NCAA at-large territory.

At this point - take every game as our last and see where we end up.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:55 AM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Interesting to read the earlier gloom and doom posts and see how wrong they were. Tough to make predictions about people and teams, or the weather and politics.

Stick to analysing the facts and we'll all be better. Of course there won't be much in the "news" if we rely on facts. When I read the Dayton Daily News I often think it is the Dayton Daily Opinion.

Why did I get carried away? Just expressing my opinion.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:49 PM
Brigadier General

Barney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant future
Thanks to St. Louis knocking off GW the Flyers are in first alone and with the next two against Rhode Island and Davidson it'll stay that way for a while.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:50 PM

ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
SLU over GDub tonight 67-59. Flyers with sole possession of first place and only team with a single conference loss.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (01-26-2017), NovaFlyer (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 03:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I think some of you probably remember me saying that I wanted a head coach hired who provided the wow factor but didn't get that when Shauna wad hired.

But after hearing her press conference I was much more hopeful. Since then she has molded the pieces into a winning team. My gut tells me that her eye for talent and recruiting will match her coaching abilities.

I dont think they can win the tournament because our best players are required to play too many minutes

This is a verrryyyy important year because a bad season could have set the program back a couple of years. I think that this years success will pave the road to some successful recruiting and the two incoming players should help a lot

Right now shauna has the wow factor in my opinion
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (01-29-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 04:15 PM
Brigadier General

I feel she is in the lead for A-10 Coach of the Year - just think about it - she gets this job in September and has a non conference schedule in terms of toughness and games limiting practice time so a lot has gone against her and look at where the team is.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Barney Sentner For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (01-29-2017), NovaFlyer (01-27-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 02:35 PM

Going to be tough to get our RPI (currently 73) up high enough for an at-large bid - even if we win out until the A-10 final. The A-10 is just too weak this year. It will probably come down to having to win 3 games in the A-10 tournament.

The good news is that with 7 games left and only 1 conference loss we essentially hold a 2 game lead for the #1 seed in the A-10 tournament - having beaten both GDub and SLU who are currently sitting with 2 losses. Still, some of our conference wins have been squeakers. Winning three straight in the A-10 tournament is no gimme.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:53 PM
General of the Air Force

I too was looking for a WOW factor in hiring Jabirs replacement. A lot of talk about getting a UConn type assistant or proven HC. Timing was not good for looking for a proven HC, I mean if they were proven why wouldn't they be caoching now, or what HC worth their salt would take the Dayton job and leave their team. So the pickens were slim. Then up comes Shauna Green, whom I truthfully had forgotten.

To me at the time like the players she got my WOW factor as did our AD for such a short turn around. She was the perfect choice, she new the players and they new her. She new the offense/defense etc. Not like a coach not familiar with the program would either have to teach a whole new system or let them play with what they had and not having the saving to coach it resulting in a bad down year.

Shauna got off to a rough start due in part to a late take over of the team and a very rough non conference schedule leaving little time for practice and getting the team on the same page and in rhythm. As she stated she had to use game time to evaluate the players which is why she had so many rotations in the first 9 games.

I felt she could turn it around and she has, hasn't always been pretty but she taught them toughness and how to win even when you aren't hitting your shots (St Joe).

Right now she has the starters working more closely in rhythm. I feel she will have a few subs playing better too by tourney time.