Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 09:36 AM
1st Lieutenant

OregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really nice
Morgan

I check the basketball forum often, but have never visited the football forum, until now.

I am an alumnus of both Dayton (1973) and Oregon (1987). I follow both in basketball, but stopped following UD football when they left Division 1(A).

Just before the start of last night's basketball game, I got a facebook feed that Oregon had signed Dayton's Zach Morgan (OT) as a 5th year SR transfer.

This is not the way I want to see Oregon build a football team, and I don't blame UD football fans if they are upset.

Now, tell me, can Zach Morgan start (or contribute) at the major D1 level?

Mike A '73
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2016, 02:16 PM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
Oregon: First, welcome to the Football forum. Since you're here, I'll take the opportunity to encourage you to come back to following Flyer football. While FCS football may not be "major D1," it is very high level, exciting football. As I'm sure you know, your alma mater had a great 2015 season, and we're expecting great things in 2016. All the games are on the internet, so check them out if you have a chance.

With respect to Zac M., he absolutely has a chance to start and/or contribute. In fact, I'm not sure why he would have made the move otherwise. I think he will have to bulk up a bit, but he certainly has the frame for it. While I'm not an expert on the Ducks offense, I suspect they like their O-lineman big, but also reasonably athletic. Zac fits that bill (pun intended). As for being upset, I certainly am not. On the contrary, Zac is a great kid who earned this opportunity and I wish him nothing but the best. If anything, I think what he's doing speaks volumes about the level of talent at Dayton and other FCS programs.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:28 PM
1st Lieutenant

OregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really niceOregonMike is just really nice
Morgan

Thanks for the reply!

Now, on this end, as there has been no "official confirmation," there is some skepticism as to the validity of the initial report. Any insights?
Old 02-10-2016, 02:35 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
Oregon Mike -- I echo FlyerIllini's thoughts. It may not be the best way to build a program but wasn't the Duck's QB this last year from an FCS school also? You never know where you'll find the next diamond in the rough.

Yes, the word is around that Zac is heading to Oregon.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:41 PM
1st Lieutenant

Morgan

Vernon Adams came from Eastern Washington. He was good. We have another transfer FCS QB coming in, Dakotah Prukop, from Montana State; expected to start (5th year senior). Oregon has to start recruiting and developing their own QBs again.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:51 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
The Duck's will get it figured out. They are always fun to watch. Us Flyer fans now have a better reason to watch.

Maybe they'll find their next QB FCS transfer from Dayton.. What do you think, Flyer Illini?
Old 02-10-2016, 03:07 PM
1st Lieutenant

Morgan

Well, if one of you guys could find a link to a confirmation!

I was a rabid Flyer football fan when I was there from 1969-1973; the days of Gary Kosins and coach McVay. We used to take cr@p from the Ohio kids for going to the Dayton football games when "Ohio State is [was] on TV!"

Another UD and Duck alumnus (class of '79) and I are having fun posting Dayton stuff on the Oregon board. "SPUDUCK" just posted the "The University of Dayton" DDN headline.

I would follow flyer football more, but living on the west coast (22 years in Eugene), its much easier to follow west coast sports.

Oregon has one of the best athletic trainers in the country; he's excellent at bulking guys up without compromising other things; sounds like that will be good for Morgan.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
NEO: Seems unlikely. Mrs. FlyerIllini is already freaked out seeing him being chased around by Bulldogs, Toreros and Hatters. Not sure she would survive him being chased around by Trojans, Sun Devils and a giant Tree. In addition, he just wouldn't look good in fluorescent green.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:35 PM
Captain

FI - Mrs. NEOFlyer worries about her son chasing Flyer coeds around with Trojans.

I'm not sure which scenario is worse.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NEOFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (02-11-2016), FlyerIllini (02-10-2016), ud69 (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 05:19 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,114 Posts
jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by OregonMike View Post
Well, if one of you guys could find a link to a confirmation!
http://autzenzoo.com/2016/02/10/oreg...r-zach-morgan/
Old 02-10-2016, 10:35 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations to Zach Morgan. He will graduate from UD . He will always be a Flyer.
This will be a completely new experience for him, and I wish him the best of luck. I agree that his move speaks well of the Dayton Program.
Oregon Mike, I graduated from UD in 1970 and the transition to Div III and then FCS was disappointing for me too, but it couldn't be avoided because of financial constraints. However we have quality young men who are good players and students playing for the love of the game and there is a beauty to that I thoroughly enjoy now.
Go Flyers!
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (02-11-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 08:16 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
The Pioneer Football League has had several kids who have had time in the NFL. Josh Johnson was a starter at times. I believe our rb from last year has a chance to make an NFL camp.

Morgan is a big guy who is going to fit in well at Oregon. He has a chance to play pro football. This is a good stopgap for Oregon for 1 year to help young guys develop.

With technology you can catch some Flyers games or videos. They recruit quality kids from all over the U.S . We have 15 red shirt seniors returning next year. Flyer Football is a tradition that runs deep in these kids and they want to show their love for the game and the Flyers history.

Go Flyers!
Old 08-29-2016, 09:21 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
My brother a Oregon grad wrote the following.

Zack Morgan – the Flying Duck – is 2nd on the depth chart at RT for next week’s opener - http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.co...art_Week_1.pdf - UO linemen practice at all positions on both sides of the center so I am sure he will see some playing time at some point.
Posted via Mobile Device
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-01-2016), FlyerIllini (08-29-2016), jaburr91 (08-29-2016), NEOFlyer (08-30-2016), rollo (08-30-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
After Saturday's game my brother followed up, that Zack got in early (1st quarter) and often and played well.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-07-2016), FlyerIllini (09-06-2016), jaburr91 (09-06-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-06-2016), NEOFlyer (09-06-2016), PIONEER 8 (09-12-2016), PittsburghFlyer (09-06-2016)