Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Captain

PittsburghFlyer is on a distinguished road
Duquesne

The Flyers will face their stiffest challenge to date when they travel to Pittsburgh to face the Duquesne Dukes at Rooney Stadium. The Dukes lost their first game at Youngstown St (45-10) but bounced back nicely at home with a 30-19 win over Bucknell. Duquesne has arguably the best QB we will face this year in Dillon Buechel. This past Saturday against Bucknell he passed for 342 yd (28-51) with no interceptions and no touchdowns. He has started the past 3 years for the Dukes and is the real deal. His leading receiver is Blair Roberts, a 6-3 guy who is a graduate transfer (does that sound familiar!?) from Old Dominion. He is averaging 87 yd/game in receptions. At RB, they had a true freshman that had a break out game against Bucknell last week. AJ Hines from Wilson NC ran for 74 yd on 10 carries and scored 3 TDs in the process. Their starting tailback is PJ Fulmore who ran for 72 yd. Fulmore is a local Pittsburgh product that played at North Catholic and had a real successful high school career. Based on all of the above, I think they have a fairly balanced attack on offense. On defense, they are led by Sr LB Christian Kuntz who is a STATS FCS Preseason All-American and College Sports Madness Preseason All-American. Year to date he has 13 tackles, 3 TFLs, and 1 sack. The Dukes leading tackler is R-Jr Carter Henderson, another LB, with 18 stops on the year. He is a transfer from Penn State University. Their other leading tackler is Abner Roberts with 13 on the year.

To win this game at Duquesne, we will need by far our best effort of the year. On offense, I think we need to run more effectively than we did last week and punch the ball into the end zone when we get in the red zone. A field goal fest in this contest will not get us a win. On defense, we need to turn up the heat on their Sr QB. He is a very good passer if you give him time and space to throw. We need to at a minimum get up in his face to alter his throws. The Flyers will also have to do a good job of containing their talented group of RBs.

Interestingly, if you look at the Dukes HC Jerry Schmitt’s non-conference record, he is 21-2 at home and just 8-21 on the road. They definitely play much better at home than on the road. When we played at Rooney Field in 2014, our special teams struggled resulting in at least 1 TD that I can remember. Our special teams will need to be on their game Saturday for us to win. Although Duquesne is a very good team, I believe the Flyers have the fire power to match them. We need consistency in all phases of the game and need to make some big plays. Here is to a great week of practice by the Flyers in preparation for Saturday’s contest. Go Dayton Flyers!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to PittsburghFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerIllini (09-12-2016), NEOFlyer (09-12-2016)
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2016, 01:11 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
Yep, the next two weeks will be difficult games. Like PF said we will definitely need our best effort. Our running game needs to step it up a little more and our offense needs to be much more effective in the red zone. We really had a chance to beat up on RMU and didn't.

Our defense will be challenged for the first time this year. Duquesne seems to have a fairly balanced and talented offense.

Hopefully our special teams have a chance to do something this week. The first two weeks did not allow our special teams to shine like I believe they can.

Go Flyers!!!!
Mad Props to NEOFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerIllini (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 02:29 PM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
A little pressed for time today, so I'll just add that I agree on all fronts with Pitt and Neo. As for the running game, I'm fairly certain that T. Yinger will be back this week. Having his home run potential should definitely help.

Final thought on offense--we need to be a little more creative and productive on 1st and 2nd down. In the storm-shortened game against Robert Morris, I counted 13 times when we had 3rd and 6 or longer. That's asking a lot of any offense.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:58 AM
Captain

Duquesne Venue

For those of you that have yet to visit Rooney Field on the Duquesne campus, you are in for a treat. The visitor's section is all by itself on the visitor's sideline. It consists of a concrete structure (think of some large steps) that double as "bleachers". There are also some small aluminum bleachers at midfield. The best thing about Rooney Field is, if you position yourself right, you are sitting behind the Dayton bench. You are close enough to the bench that you expect Coach Chamberlin to call your name at any second! Additionally, the field sits atop "The Bluff" in Pittsburgh. Off of the home side of the field, there are some very good views of the South Side of Pittsburgh. It is the best venue I have encountered at an away stadium for Dayton football. The second best is the field at Marist. Go Dayton Flyers!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to PittsburghFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (09-14-2016), NEOFlyer (09-15-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 08:52 PM
Captain

Yinger Article

Below is a link to a real nice article on Tucker Yinger that appeared in the CantonRep.com paper. Enjoy!

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/2016...-yinger-dayton
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to PittsburghFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-14-2016), jaburr91 (09-14-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-14-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
Link to Game Notes: http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.co...Notes_indd.pdf

Only things of note from the depth chart are: (1) it appears that Spencer Luallen is out this week; he was injured in the 2nd quarter. I thought Hammontree did a nice job filling in; (2) although T. Yinger is listed at RB, I'm not sure we're going to see him this week. If not, we'll need a big effort from J. Adams and S. Prophit.
Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
PittsburghFlyer (09-15-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 10:32 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Now that the PFL champ qualifies for the playoffs, the OOC games, while very nice to win, are not critical. the Dukes are a big challenge for us, but the game next week at SDU is critical. Don't see RC taking chances on recovering players this week. We want to be as close to 100% strength as we can be next week.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
Originally Posted by PittsburghFlyer View Post
For those of you that have yet to visit Rooney Field on the Duquesne campus, you are in for a treat. The visitor's section is all by itself on the visitor's sideline. It consists of a concrete structure (think of some large steps) that double as "bleachers". There are also some small aluminum bleachers at midfield. The best thing about Rooney Field is, if you position yourself right, you are sitting behind the Dayton bench. You are close enough to the bench that you expect Coach Chamberlin to call your name at any second! Additionally, the field sits atop "The Bluff" in Pittsburgh. Off of the home side of the field, there are some very good views of the South Side of Pittsburgh. It is the best venue I have encountered at an away stadium for Dayton football. The second best is the field at Marist. Go Dayton Flyers!
PF - I tried to go through Duquesne's website and it gave little or no information regarding parking. Do you have any suggestions? Will there be tailgating?
Old 09-16-2016, 09:29 AM
Captain

Tailgating

Neo, that is the one drawback to the stadium. Since it sits literally on a bluff, there is very little if no parking immediate to the field. Most people park below the field on Forbes Ave, specifically the Forbes Ave Garage (see Duquesne parking lot link below). There are also a number of surface lots along Forbes Ave to park. All of this makes tailgating at Duquesne very difficult. An elevator is located in the Forbes Garage to assist in the uphill climb up the side of the cliff. Like many locations in Pittsburgh, the field sits atop a fairly steep hill. That is what gives Pittsburgh its great character!

http://www.duq.edu/assets/Documents/...une-9-2010.pdf
Mad Props to PittsburghFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
NEOFlyer (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 10:21 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,712 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting that the field goes east-west. Shouldn't be much of a problem with a noon game.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Just off the Jet

UD Step-Dad will become famous soon enoughUD Step-Dad will become famous soon enough
I am excited for the game....

------------------------

"We are a country full of people who are not educated, not able to understand truth from lies, and are not capable of providing for themselves so they blame other people, and that is exactly what Donald Trump is counting on" - Me
Mad Props to UD Step-Dad For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 09:29 PM
Captain

Weather

For those attending in person tomorrow, you will need some good rain gear! The weather guessers are calling for off and on rain showers all day here in the 'Burgh. I do believe a slick field favors our Flyers. Go Dayton Flyers!
Old 09-17-2016, 01:42 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,712 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Flyers up 20 15.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:20 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Fun while it lasted, on to SDU. Hopefully a better result.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
What happened?

We are able to score 20 points in the first half and are held scoreless in the second? What happened?
Old 09-18-2016, 10:06 AM
Lieutenant General

Didn't get to follow the game too much. looking at the stats we really got outplayed. The Dukes were just better. I think the first downs were something like 29-9 in the Duke's favor. not what we needed going into USD. Dukes scored two touchdowns in 12 seconds. Ran an interception back for a score, we fumbled the kickoff and on the first play Dukes scored from about 35 yards out, that was a gut punch.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:13 AM
Captain

Mistakes really hurt us in the second half. Our running game took a hit with injuries. By the end of the game we were down to our 5th running back. Because of that it made our offense one dimensional and we were unable to sustain any kind of drive. Consequently, our defense spent a lot of time on the field in the second half.

Duquesne is a big team. Most of their linebackers were in the 240# range. The Dukes are a very good team. I will say this, though... If Duquesne doesn't figure out their field goal kicking team, that will really hurt them if they make the playoffs. I counted something like seven points we kept off the board with blocked kicks, failed 2pt attempts, or horrible misses by their kicker. One that did go through the uprights was an ugly line drive. That is where I love our kicking game. Will and Smith (Will Smith.. I kinda like that) are a great weapon to have.

FlyerIllini... would have loved to see an adjustment with Ruffing starting out in the backfield and going in motion.

Win or lose... I love our Flyers. On to San Diego

Last edited by NEOFlyer; 09-18-2016 at 12:06 PM..
Old 09-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
KO or Playbook?

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
We are able to score 20 points in the first half and are held scoreless in the second? What happened?
Sending a KO out-of-bounds late 2nd qtr after scoring didn't help. Was the turning point. Until then we were sacking & stopping the Dukes offense and moving ourselves except not crossing the goal line. Then the bone-head kickoff. We didn't respond with either of our teams. Later, they responded them selves with similar KO. Shame.

Grandma doesn't buy my KO complaint. She says that late in the 2nd qtr they got their hands on our playbook & knew what was coming next!

Watched parts of game on TV - yes, buried deep in the 790's of my DirecTV remote were these EC channels with lots of small college games.

It sure wasn't Central State or RMU at home. It was a well-coached team at their house.

UD has had similar "good defensive" teams and offenses better than this season in the last decade but still lost at Rooney Field. Think about a 22-2 record at home in none conference & yesterday comes to mind.

First timers there - did you like the salvaged train or subway terminal for the press box? Cool!

Enjoy San Diego - it was our best trip in 2010. Go to Friday night workout & take some evening photos. Wear sun gear Saturday!
Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
PittsburghFlyer (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Captain

I wasn't planning to post following this game, but here I am. This was a tough loss, but at the end of the day we just got beat by a more talented team. We would have had to play a near mistake free game to win, and that obviously didn't happen.

On offense, as others have noted here (and on the PFL board), it's hard to play offense when you can't run the ball. For much of the 2nd half they were playing a kid at RB who has been playing WR all spring/summer/fall; in other words, they weren't down to their 5th RB...they were playing a WR at RB. He's a great kid and a really good athlete, but he hasn't been getting reps at RB. This one simple reality then created a cascading effect for the rest of the units. An ineffective run game led to 3rd and long plays against a defense with the best pass rushing OLB (Kunz) that we'll see all year and several FBS transfer DBs. It's not a coincidence that we scored TDs on the first 2 drives when we had a full stable of RBs and weren't in 3rd and long every series.

The defense battled but, because of the offensive struggles, was just on the field too much in the 2nd half. The 2nd half actually reminded me of the Western Ill. game last year where they were just worn down by a big physical OL and a big, talented RB. In fact, I'm of the opinion that their true FR RB (Hines) is the best RB they will see this year (and maybe for the next several). Not sure how he ended up at Duquesne, but if that kid stays on the same trajectory he's currently on, he may have a shot to play at the next level.

There are, however, some positive takeaways. First, despite all of the mistakes, penalties, turnovers, etc., they were one dropped TD pass away from tying the game in the 4th quarter. Second, with all due respect to USD, Morehead, Butler, Drake and all the rest, we're not going to see a team as talented and athletic as Duquesne the rest of the way. Doesn't mean we'll win them all, but when they look across the line, they'll see kids that look a little more like themselves. Finally, I was incredibly proud of how all of these boys competed (including my own), and I'm very confident they will learn and be better the rest of the way.

Bottom line: If we beat San Diego (which is a tall order), yesterday will become a distant memory. Go Flyers.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:28 PM
Captain

I disagree with some of the previous posters in some aspects of this game. First, Duquesne is very talented. We were in control of the game into the second half. We lost control after the pick 6 and a couple seconds later a fumbled KO return that ended in a TD. Two TDs within about 30 sec of each other. Not too many teams at any level that can over come that deficit and turn of events. On offense in the second half, too much of the same running plays. When you run the same play over and over again and it stops working, you need to go to different plays. Duquesne was just sitting on that play the second half and making big plays in our backfield.

Second, we gave them 12 points (the pick 6 and the fumbled KO) and the refs gave them 6 points in the first half on the "roughing the snapper" call. Terrible call by the refs. Watched the video and our guy used a swim move over the snapper, barely touching him. In fact, our guy did the same exact thing the rest of the game and was not flagged again. Pitiful on the refs part, they should have not influenced the game as much as they did yesterday. On a 40 yd run in the first half by our RB, ref throws from from 25 yd down field for holding on one of our lineman. Watched the video on this one and again no holding in sight. It was a huge turnaround for Duquesne on the play.

When we were down only seven in the second half, we hit a receiver in the seam 3 to 4 yd behind the closest defender. For some reason, our guy stops and the defense catches up to him. If he would have kept going, it would have been a TD and the game would have been tied. Later in same series, we dropped a ball in the end zone that again would have tied the game.

On defense at the end and somewhat during the game, we missed tackles that we clearly should have made. We battled on defense but you have to make the plays. They were on the field for over 11 minutes in the 4th Quarter alone, but no excuses. As a team we need to rise to the occasion and get the stops when needed.

Our defensive backs, I thought, played outstanding, regardless of the yardage by Capers. Duquesne has a very talented group of receivers and RBs and our defenders stood toe to toe with them the entire game. Kudos to them for being persistent and consistent.

As stated by Neo, our kicking game absent the KO fumble, was superb. In particular, Smith kept us in the game by pinning Duquesne deep in its own territory many times. Our kicker Will was also outstanding given the windy conditions on the bluff yesterday. He was 2 for 3 on FGs, making a long one into a cross wind. His KOs were also very good.

Overall, we suffered from some of the ills we saw in the first two games. We need to be able to score TDs when we get the ball on the opponents 20 yd line. The FGs just do not cut it when you get that short of field.

We definitely need to regroup and collect ourselves prior to next week's game. We have the talent and desire to be successful, we just need to apply it to a mistake free game for an entire 60 minutes. Here is hoping to a great week of practice to get us ready for the challenge at San Diego next week.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:50 PM
Lieutenant General

Shoulda, coulda, woulda, they were simply better on Saturday than we were. they scored 25 unanswered points, held a 29-9 first down advantage. Not the end of the world, OOC games are nice to win but not critical. Now next weeks game is a different story, win and we are in good shape, lose and it's a uphill battle all season long with USD in a strong position.Let the games begin.

Last edited by UD62; 09-19-2016 at 09:54 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-19-2016), Showme Flyer (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Captain

PFL Special Teams Player of the Week

Not surprisingly, but very well deserved, Sean Smith, punter, was named the Special Teams Player of the Week! His placement and distance on his punts were unbelievable. Congrats!

http://www.pioneer-football.org/news/potw/
Old 09-18-2016, 11:01 PM

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
Duquesne is a scholarship team are they not?
Old 09-19-2016, 07:37 AM

Showme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant futureShowme Flyer has a brilliant future
Yes I believe they are
Old 09-19-2016, 08:30 AM
Captain

The NEC (which includes Duquesne and Robert Morris) allows up to 40 full scholarships. Those 40 can also be divided up so that many more players can receive at least some scholarship money.
Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
Showme Flyer (09-19-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Captain

One stat from the game that really stood out to me was attendance!!

908? Really? I would have to guess that they only counted the paid attendance.