UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-14-2016, 07:02 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
All Conference Teams

Every year I can't remember what day these come out. I believe it's on Thursday. AVCA poll out Monday pm. #21 MO lost to RV S Carolina, so we probably move up.

We need to refocus on blocking and get the slide going for our middles. We will need both of those the first weekend of play in the NCAAs.
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2016, 05:14 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Up to #22 with 222 votes. What are those odds? LOL.

We need to get back on track and get back to playing our best ball. It's tough mentally to grind out the conference schedule, but now is the time to crank it back up. I'm glad we will have the week off since Ohio got cancelled. Give the team a couple days off for Thanksgiving. Team probably needs it to recharge after we win the A10 Tourney. As much as I'd like the A10 to have two bids to the NCAAs, I'm not really in a charitable mood. Go Flyers!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (11-14-2016), NovaFlyer (11-14-2016), udisit19 (11-15-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 12:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
http://daytonflyers.com/news/2016/11...ar-awards.aspx
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (11-17-2016), BeckysTXA (11-17-2016), Glen Clark (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 06:54 PM

Well I'm throwing the gauntlet down on this one. I think I had every award pegged except Wolf garnering academic team, and in my own defense, I don't have access to their grades. LOL. So my challenge is for someone to step up and match my effort next year.

Very, very, very happy that Maggie was on the all-academic team. As a DS, they have no other shot and Maggie has contributed so much this year within her role. Also very happy we got 4 players on the first team. Everyone of them deserved it, but very rarely have 4 players from one program gotten on the first team.

And finally, Fairchild got the Rookie of the Year award, but I would put serious money on Jamie Peterson earning the POY award sooner rather than later. She will add the back row piece big time starting this spring and in the off season. In my opinion she is the most talented freshman UD has ever had. We didn't NEED her to play back row this year, so she didn't. But starting next year she will be the entire package and I for one can't wait to she how high she can fly. Her future is very bright.

Congrats to all and congrats to the entire team. These honors don't happen in a vacuum. Everyone contributes.

Now go win the A10 Tourney by playing your best ball yet.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
udisit19 (11-18-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 07:00 PM

Ok, I did just look at the whole list and saw GWs MB Chidima Osuw- something did get a 2nd team nod. Her stats this year are not very good, but it's because GW is way down this year. She has been a great player the past 2-3 years. She as a matter of fact I thought she should have been POY 2 years ago as a sophomore. Good to see the coaches honor her again in a tough year. So I missed this one.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:58 PM
1st Lieutenant

UDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really nice
Only missing Lauren (All-Conference) and Laura (All-Academic) for an awards sweep for our starters. Lauren likely got dinged for the same reason Jamie did - back row. That thinking isn't quite as silly as no punters in the NFL Hall of Fame, or the prejudice against DHs in baseball, but still - Bruns has been killing it this year. 17 kills last match!! Great season, Lauren, and keep it going in the tourney(s !! And she's just a sophomore.

Laura has played so well this year and is everyone's all-academic, but likely dinged due to her EOY injury situation.

Congrats to Margo (should have been first team), and Jane (3x?!!? Wow!!), and Amber, Kendyll, Jess, and Maggie, too! Can't get there without good coaching and Tim's award was well-deserved this year (maybe than any other year), and kudos to his staff because COY doesn't happen without great assistants.

And I have to say, is Rygelski human? That good at VB AND All-Academic?? Parents should be very proud.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by UDVBFan; 11-18-2016 at 10:15 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDVBFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-18-2016), udisit19 (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 07:00 AM

I agree. And congrats to all our parents too. These young ladies don't get to this level without a huge amount of support from mom and dad. Thank you for sharing your daughters with the Flyer Faithful. To the parents I say job well done!
Old 11-18-2016, 07:26 AM

UD racked up 6 of the 21 playing awards. Yes the conference is down this year, but that is still very impressive and hard to do. Coaches like to spend the awards around - right or wrong. And we racked up 9 total all-conference post season awards which is probably a record not just for UD, but also for the conference...... And everyone comes back next year.

Also saw LaSalle had two players on the Rookie team. Their Libero was Rookie of the Year last year and finished very very close to Margo in stats this year. The two players this year are their setter and OH. That's a very solid core of 3 players to continue to build their program around. This is a program moving in the right direction and that is good for the A10 and UD.

I also saw on the a10 website a picture of this year's ROY, Fairchild from Fordham. She has her thigh taped up all the way to her hip. She played great as a 6 rotation player for a freshman and apparently she did it playing hurt for at least part of the year.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:30 PM

Lauren - I agree she had a great year especially as a sophomore. But was it all-conference worthy? I did a little research and it didn't take long. I looked up VCUs Alder who made the second team. She plays Rightside OH.

Hit .215
Digs .23
Aces .00
Blocks .82
Points 2.77

Lauren was only playing left OH until about half way thru the season when she would also swing from the Rightside. She played both sides the 2nd half. On average, players usually block better from the Rightside mostly because you get more block attempts. And players usually have a higher hitting percentage from the Rightside. Neither of these players played 6 rotations but both occasionally served. Lauren's stats:

Hit .236
Digs .55
Aces .10
Blocks .65
Points 3.31

Based on these stats for the season, Lauren got robbed. Except for the blocking stat, she out played Alder. And the points per set should have locked Lauren in for a second team award, period. It wasn't even close to be honest. I believe Lauren drew the short straw here because so many Dayton players got awards. It's not fair, but it happens. Coaches feel pressure to spread the awards around.

So I say to Lauren, "Prove them all wrong." Follow in the footsteps of two UD players who have gone down this path before you. In 2007 our Libero Adrienne Green should have been the LOY. At the time, Adrienne was in the NCAA record books for career digs. She passed the entire court in our marathon win over SLU that year. That means she covered the entire court on SLUs serve. The other 5 players were crammed up by the net or hugging the sidelines. It's impressive for a player to be able to pass half the court - meaning take serve receive with just two players back. I have never seen a player alone in serve receive and Adrienne was outstanding. She flat out negated SLUs good servers. The second player was OH Amanda Cowdrey in 2009. She was a 6 rotation OH and should have been a candidate for POY and she got nothing, not even honorable mention. Both these players and the teams got fired up and sent a message during the A10 tournament. Green and Cowdrey played great in their tournament years. Cowdrey was named MVP of the tournament her year. We beat SLU, who had won the year before. And the SLU coach was quoted after the match saying Amanda was unreal and she willed UD to win.

I'll be rooting for Lauren to have a great A10 tourney. Get fired up and take it to the A10. Time to play your best ball yet. Go Flyers!
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (11-19-2016)