User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 08:33 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Coach V coaches his last Dayton game on Saturday's Game

http://www.daytonflyers.com/news/201...ll-season.aspx

I do not know him, but I always liked what I saw. He loved being a Flyer. I was so impressed when he bused the team to attend the funeral of Cameron, a student at St Helen, who was an honorary member of the baseball team. He also gave one of the eulogies.

I wish him well.
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Tony is a first class coach/guy, who did so much to support his team and UD. Sorry to see him go, but wishing him the best. Sure hope he sticks around, always enjoyed our interactions. Wonder if the new coach will be a former player?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Why was he so unsuccessful? A losing record, made the a10 playoffs less than half the time, and we're hardly a powerhouse league. Has the U not been interested in baseball? we seem to do well in virtually every other sport, at least in the conference, save baseball.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:16 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Why was he so unsuccessful? A losing record, made the a10 playoffs less than half the time, and we're hardly a powerhouse league. Has the U not been interested in baseball? we seem to do well in virtually every other sport, at least in the conference, save baseball.
I always wondered the same thing? UD is located in a hot bed of baseball, Ohio, Ky and IN. Can it be that we give fewer scholarships than the rest of the A10?
Old 05-19-2017, 03:42 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
I always thought Coach V was a class act and bled red and blue. IMHOP, for the sport of baseball, coaching has less influence on game results than most other sports. It mostly comes down to recruiting - or lack thereof. Not making the A-10 tournament as well as losing 13 straight to the team across town did not help either. Current RPI is 270 out of 299. Nuf said.

Last edited by ud69; 05-19-2017 at 04:45 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 06:45 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I always wondered the same thing? UD is located in a hot bed of baseball, Ohio, Ky and IN. Can it be that we give fewer scholarships than the rest of the A10?
At what time UD did not allocate baseball the full allotment of scholarships allowed by the NCAA. Not sure how that compares to others in the A10.

While the region has average to above average baseball, getting top regional players to stay in the region is extremely hard. The ability to play year round in the south and west is a big pull. And then when you get someone who may stay regional you have nationally competitive programs at Michigan, UK, UL and much of the Bug10.

Don't think any of that explains the A10 performance or vs WSU.

Ultimately recruiting. Baseball is very limited in so far as coaching once you have a roster.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2017, 08:46 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Did I read that baseball
is more recruiting and less
coaching then any other
sport? If so I disagree
100%
I too wondered why
Coach V. was retained
so long.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:36 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
At what time UD did not allocate baseball the full allotment of scholarships allowed by the NCAA. Not sure how that compares to others in the A10.

While the region has average to above average baseball, getting top regional players to stay in the region is extremely hard. The ability to play year round in the south and west is a big pull. And then when you get someone who may stay regional you have nationally competitive programs at Michigan, UK, UL and much of the Bug10.

Don't think any of that explains the A10 performance or vs WSU.

Ultimately recruiting. Baseball is very limited in so far as coaching once you have a roster.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly. No one expects them to compete at the Top 25 level, but how about at the A10 level, and with WSU, X and UC. Davidson, Richmond and VCU are the only A10 schools in the south, and not that far south.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:49 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...mbmuhPsWIFIxM/ Good article
After 28 years as a baseball coach — the last 18 leading the University of Dayton’s team — Tony Vittorio’s taken on a new position with Friends of Jaclyn (FOJ), a nonprofit foundation serving children with pediatric cancers.
I’ve cherished every moment of coaching,” he says, “and people say it’s hard to explore other avenues, but the timing’s perfect. I started August 15, and my heart and soul are with this organization.”