» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
No Answers Only Questions
Published by Swampy Meadows
04-15-2011

The 1st Annual Under Armour All-Michigan Classic Game was held tonight at Ferndale HS in suburban Detroit and "From the Swamp" was there to partake of the proceedings.

First things first, let's get the score out of the way:

East 113

West 110

No, I didn't keep score and no, it didn't matter.

Guys who looked particularly good were:

-- Mr. Basketball Dwaun Anderson from Suttons Bay who is headed to MSU

-- Justin Moss who played at Devin Searcy's alma mater Romulus and who has committed to Toledo

-- Unsigned 6' 3" SG Zedric Sadler from Detroit Cody

-- Former BG recruiting target Trey McDonald of Battle Creek who is OSU-bound

-- Tommie McCune of Saginaw who is a future Mountaineer and is wound a little tight -- he's one of those guys who talks to himself. Huggy is gonna love this guy!

Here are my notes:

-- Had the chance to meet new UD Assistant Coach Kevin Kuwik before the tilt began. Since this was an unsanctioned game, all college coaches have to leave before the game began, so he drove 3+ hours in the hopes that Percy Gibson could see him standing on the sidelines. I did not see any other coaches there. Kevin said Archie was in New York. I thought Coach Miller might be in Pittsburgh for the AAU tournament there this weekend, but Coach Kurwik said they can't attend that event either. I commented on the hiring of Bill Comar and Kevin said that Bill knows how Archie's brother Sean liked things done from their many years together at X and the fact that he also worked at UD previously is a good thing. He thought the addition of Adrian Autry to the staff was a plus, too. Coach Kurwik was working the room a little bit and knew some of the folks on the sidelines, which is a good sign.

-- Ran into Devin Searcy's HS Coach Nate Oats of Romulus, as he was there to watch his guy Justin Moss play. I asked Nate about his rising senior PG Ray Lee and where he might be headed and he said "probably prep school." Coach Oats will be the beneficiary next season of transfer Leo Edwards, who was on the BG recruiting radar screen and came to the Arena to see a game last year.

-- "Buckets" didn't get to the gym until late in the first half. Must have run into some traffic driving down from Lansing. Henton said that UD is still in the mix and he is hearing from Penn State, Iowa State and UAB and that Texas had called today. LaDontae says that he has 4 official visits left to use and plans to set up trips in the next week or so. He would like to have a decision made within the next month or so.

-- I let Percy know that I had spoken to Coach Kurwik and PG said he wasn't aware that Coach K had been there. "The Big Equalizer" as the PA announcer called him said that he is still very open to the idea of attending UD. He has heard recently from Illinois and Virginia Tech. Like "Buckets" Percy also has 4 official visits remaining and really doesn't have a timetable in mind for his final decision.

-- Finally the question to which everbody wants to know the answer:

It was Percy's mother Sandy's idea to meet Archie Miller at Dunkin Donuts.

That's it "From the Swamp."
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By THirt on 04-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the update, Swampy. What a weird, weird business recruiting is.

You gotta like a lady who suggests meeting at Dunkin Donuts.
By TommyGola on 04-16-2011, 07:48 AM
Superb information Swampy. I thought too many posters made entirely too big a deal out of meeting at Dunkin Donuts. You have settled that issue.
By UACFlyer on 04-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Knew that...

...said from the beginning that it was not Miller's idea to meet anywhere but at the kids home. Rude, in my opinion, of mom not to invite Miller to their home.
By jack72 on 04-16-2011, 08:38 AM
Some people are not comfortable with their house and inviting strangers in.
By Fudd on 04-16-2011, 08:57 AM
The Dunkin Doughnuts information changes everything.
By Swampy Meadows on 04-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Romulus Coach Nate Oats was correct about Ray Lee, according to a Tweet from Next Generation Hoops:

"6-3 combo Ray Lee to leave Romulus and enroll at Huntington Prep next year."
Comment

Article Tools