» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
X/UD Game Slugfest
X/UD Game Slugfest
Published by Swampy Meadows
02-27-2011
X/UD Game Slugfest

DAYTON (OH) -- Well, I was gonna attempt to do a really live blog for this one, since it’s kinda mildly important to Flyer Faithful everywhere. However, the access to the UD wireless up here in Section 401 is marginal at best and I could never connect. Oh well, I tried!

-- Chris Wright and Devin Searcy were running the stairs well before tipoff.

-- Talked to Doug Hauschild about his experience as UD’s Softball Coach. He said he did it for 3 years and should have only stayed on in the post for 2. That third season he was doing his SID gig full-time, plus coaching, plus he was a newlywed. I can see where that wouldn’t leave room for a lot of free time.

-- The X squad got their butts booed off the floor a full hour before the tipoff. I’d say that the band and students are ready for this one.

-- Speaking of the students, there is no unsightly tarp covering any of the seats in their section and there is a butt in every seat, which is a good thing.

-- Talked to Paul Williams well before the game. He said his knee has been bothering him since the Old Miss game when he banged knees with someone. He gets a shot for it just before every game. It’s probably something he will have to address in the off-season.

-- Chatted with Doug Tifft from CollegeChalkTalk.com and told him to say howdy to Chris Disano who runs that excellent site. Doug said he had done a profile on Josh Parker a month or two back and Chris had him wait until Josh had a big game and then they posted it immediately.

-- I’m slated to sit next to Chris Ekstrand from NBA.com and Andy Mac from MusketeerMadness.com. Chris is here to see CW one more time and to get a look at Tu Hollowway, just in case he comes out early. Andy is a no-show and a young lady from the X Athletic Department is here in his place. Works for me -- she doesn’t look like Captain Kangaroo.

-- L-O-V-E the new electronic boards...not just the visuals but the sound they put out seems to be improved.

-- The alternating red and white T-shirts and white towels make a nice visual for the TV crew here from the Deuce.

-- Tu Holloway the only X player to walk away from the team handshake. Karma is a biatch, son. I made absolutely sure that Chris from NBA.com knew that fact.

-- CJ gets the party started with a three! Josh with the block on Freeze. CJ again! 6-2 UD. Freeze with the picture perfect moving screen. UD’s rock.

-- Dante Jackson makes it 6-5 with his own trey and JB walks to give X the ball. 5 second call on a late whistle vs. UD. JS guarding Tu. Freeze with the look-what-I-found banker. CW misses the J. 7-6 X after a Spearman personal at the under 16 media TO.

-- LF and JP in for the Flyers. CJ now has all 8 UD markers. McLean hits a hook and DS with the harm. Now 14-8 X men. CW misses the hook. UD’s O outside of CJ is MIA until JP hits the three. 16-11 bad guys. PW for 3 makes it 19-14. X gets a bucket after 2 Flyers go flying and then Lyons with the bad acting job draws a charge. Ref DJ Carstensen is having himself a bad game, even for him. The travel call on CW earlier was not a travel, according to Mark from NBA.com. If it was half of the guys in the NBA would be called for it.

-- An Andrew Taylor sighting and he wastes no time picking up a foul. UD needs to make something happen on offense. CW with another missed jumper –- he’s settling. PW makes a trey. DJ with another gem of a call. The crowd is totally out of it. Lyons with the O foul temporarily wakes up the house.

-- I’m having trouble finding anything good to say here as UD has scored 17 points in 14 minutes. CJ wakes up the building to cut it to 29-20. CW has zero points thus far. 33-20 X with 3:40 to go in the initial stanza. Some guys in our section are heading for the beer stand already. The zebras with the mascara call as JS lost the ball all by hisself and they called it UD rock.

-- Shot clock violation on UD. JS with a layup cuts the lead to 11 and an X TO gives UD back the ball. DJ with the no call when CW got mauled. CJ with a drive and an old fashioned 3 point play. X runs the oldest play in the book, the give-and-go, for a jam. 37-25 at the half.

-- My stat sheet tells me that UD is shooting 36% from the field but 6-10 from three. How is that possible? Meanwhile, X is 2-10 from beyond the arc and they’re up by 12. Go figure. BG needs to figure out something besides give the ball to CJ (he had 14 in the first half) in a hurry or this could get ugly.

-- Saw Larry Hansgen walking up the tunnel to the Media Room. We both shook our heads and he said “Well, they’ve looked worse.”

-- CW misses the oop from JS; then misses a layup. Josh B with the hook hoop and the harm from Freeze. CJ for three. 37-30 X with 18:07 to go. I’d like to welcome back the crowd…glad you could join us!

-- It seems weird to look out the windows in the Time Warner Flight Deck and see sunlight. Must be a media TO as it’s a long one.

-- Freeze with the pulling guard imitation and the zebras whistle him for it. CJ wins a rugby scrum under the hoop and gets hacked. Makes ‘em both and it’s down to 5. JB tries to take a charge but no sale. However, the refs buy it on the other end….gee what a surprise! CW cannot buy a bucket. He does get fouled however and makes 1-2 to finally break into the scoring column.

-- McLean dunk takes it back out to 9, 42-33. Josh P gets hit and X has 6 fouls already. Tu with the TO. JS with the J. JB with the block. Tu with the fadeaway. CJ finally misses a three. Tu hits again and the lead swells to 11, 46-35 at the under 12 media TO.

-- CW scores on a roll from PW. CW double dribbles. X TO. Gee, this is pretty. CW starting to warm up. CW hits the MRJ. CW wraps a pass around the X man for a JB flush to get it back to 7. X TO. PW running lefthander and here comes the crowd. McLean scores and DS fouls him. 52-45 with 7:48 remaining.

-- CW with the shake and bake travel. But then he hits a drive to cut the lead to 5. TU hits and is hit. Back to 8. JB with the O rebound, the hoop and the foul. Back to 5. Time out X with 4:44 to go, 55-50.

-- PW with the lefty lay-in. X TO gives UD the ball with 3:55 down by 5. PW three and it’s down to 2! Lyons makes 2-2 and it’s a 4 point bulge. PW misses this time. CW with the major league block! JS layup and it’s back to 2. Foul on McLean on a rebound attempt and CJ is at the line for 1 and 1. Tied!!!

-- Unbelievably bad call on JB and Tu shoots two and makes two. X leads by a pair with 1:21 left. Speaking of “a pair” need I say more?

-- CW driving layup doesn’t go. Tu drains a clutch 3 and it’s now 64-59 with only :38.7 to go. And the crowd is heading to the exits. McLean misses then a lane violation gives UD the ball. CJ at the line makes then misses but X steps on the line. Down 4 with 15 ticks. Chris from NBA.com is not impressed with UD running their regular offense with less than 30 seconds to go and trailing.

-- Benson tips it in after a volleyball match broke out and it is now 64-62 and PW fouls out putting Tu at the stripe. 66-62 with only 6.1 on the clock.

Ballgame

After the game, BG said that UD didn't play as well in the first half as they did in the second. The Flyers had 13 TOs in the initial stanza and only 3 in the last 20 minutes.

Of Tu Holloway, BG admitted he's "a great player and he made a big 3 when he was 1-6 up until then from 3." The strategy was to not let Tu control the ball at the end. Coach thought UD did that well from the 6 minute mark up until 2 minutes remained. Then Tu got fouled twice and made the big triple in the last 120 seconds of the contest.

His message at halftime was to "slow down" and "get the ball in the hoop." In the second half "we let the ball make the plays" instead of trying to force things.

Interestingly BG said that in the first X game, UD had only 10 deflections which is the team's lowest total ever. The Flyers were on pace to eclipse that negative stat but they picked up the intensity and got after it in the second half.

Once UD tied it up "we didn't get the key defensive stops" and that was the difference.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By Chris R on 02-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Great report Swamp. It is what it is. I got nuthin' else.
By Avid Flyer on 02-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Neither do the Flyers Chris.
By Avid Flyer on 02-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Seems the last couple years when the flyers are behind they fight really hard to catch up and once they do they sorta let up a little and that is when the opposing team picks up their intensity.
By Atlantic 10 on 02-28-2011, 05:32 AM
That is why UD host Ncaa tourney games and X plays in them
By Swampy Meadows on 02-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I had my wife DVR the game and re-watched it tonight. If you did likewise, don't bother watching it as it will just tee you off all over again. So many woulda, coulda, shoulda plays, not the least of which was DJ Carstensen whistling a 5 second call on UD when the ball had already been inbounded.
By ndflyer on 03-03-2011, 08:37 AM
I guess karma was, in your words, a "biatch". Tu had a horrible game and will never make the NBA....good thing you were there with your vast knowledge of who should and shouldnt be in the NBA to help the scouts out. Without you they may have actually thought about signing a UD player
Comment

Article Tools