Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
It'd be nice to get a SG with some upside who could contribute 6-10 min a game this year, do any of these guys fit that profile?
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
No, but by adding another wing, derenbecker becomes the back-up SG while spending some time at SF. Wilbut seems to be the only other SG on our radar, but still waiting for him to qualify, I believe. I would rather add a quality SF than settle for a SG that will ride pine. We need to raise our floor talent-wise
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Not that it means a lot but NLI signing ends Tuesday IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised at a commit and wouldn't be surprised if they hold over the open scholarships. Seems the struggle right now without LeVert or Wilbut is do you take a body to fill a spot or hold.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
Not that it means a lot but NLI signing ends Tuesday IIRC. I wouldn't be surprised at a commit and wouldn't be surprised if they hold over the open scholarships. Seems the struggle right now without LeVert or Wilbut is do you take a body to fill a spot or hold.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you are saying Brzoja would just be a body and not an impact player, I disagree. I went back and looked at his averages this past year. 19.0 points, 7.0 assists and 5.0 steals per game. I think he would fit very well.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:48 AM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gilchrist's Autograph 2 View Post
No, but by adding another wing, derenbecker becomes the back-up SG while spending some time at SF. Wilbut seems to be the only other SG on our radar, but still waiting for him to qualify, I believe. I would rather add a quality SF than settle for a SG that will ride pine. We need to raise our floor talent-wise
Posted via Mobile Device
Mislav Brzoja and Dyshawn Pierre wouldn't be contributors this year? Why not? Both got good ratings. I think both these guys could contribute next year.

Brzoja ratings: ESPN-hasn't been evaluated by ESPN, Rivals 3 stars as a sg, and Scout 3 stars as sg/sf.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/dayton/baske...-Brzoja-134009

http://dayton.scout.com/a.z?s=429&p=8&c=1&nid=6105168

Pierre ratings: ESPN 91 and 3 stars as a sf, Rivals-not listed as a player on their site, and Scout-not listed as a player on their site.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba...dyshawn-pierre

Last edited by ud2; 05-11-2012 at 11:57 AM..
Old 05-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Captain

UDan71 will become famous soon enoughUDan71 will become famous soon enough
Wink

Has anyone considered the possibility that UD is waiting on Pierre's decision and CL is on hold until AM finds out whether DP's choice is UD or not?

I know, I know. Almost certainly not the case, but a man can dream (of being in such a position), can't he?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
If you are saying Brzoja would just be a body and not an impact player, I disagree. I went back and looked at his averages this past year. 19.0 points, 7.0 assists and 5.0 steals per game. I think he would fit very well.
I personally know a kid who averaged numbers close to that. And he is playing college ball next year - in the UK Intramural league.

Clearly Brzoja is better than that. He is being recruited by D1 schools, the kid I know got D3 looks only.

I have absolutely no comment on Brzoja or Pierre. Know nothing about either other than video clips and numbers. Which tells me next to nothing as to whether they will or won't contribute. I can say that's the staff's debate - can they contribute or should the hold the scholarships. If they keep an offer out, they believe they can contribute.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by UDan71 View Post
Has anyone considered the possibility that UD is waiting on Pierre's decision and CL is on hold until AM finds out whether DP's choice is UD or not?

I know, I know. Almost certainly not the case, but a man can dream (of being in such a position), can't he?
We can all dream. But CL has an offer. It's not on hold.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:43 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I personally know a kid who averaged numbers close to that. And he is playing college ball next year - in the UK Intramural league.

Clearly Brzoja is better than that. He is being recruited by D1 schools, the kid I know got D3 looks only.

I have absolutely no comment on Brzoja or Pierre. Know nothing about either other than video clips and numbers. Which tells me next to nothing as to whether they will or won't contribute. I can say that's the staff's debate - can they contribute or should the hold the scholarships. If they keep an offer out, they believe they can contribute.
Pierre got a 91 from ESPN, that would seem to indicate a quality player.

And Brzoja has offers from these BCS schools: Utah, Providence, Marquette, Northwestern, LSU, and Vanderbilt. That would also seem to indicate a quality player.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (05-12-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
We can all dream. But CL has an offer. It's not on hold.
I imagine LeVert, Brzoja, Pierre, and Dickerson all have offers. First two to claim them get to play for UD.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
I'll trust Arch on this one, if he offered them, odds are they have some game that can help sooner rather than later. I don't think he is going to recruit any warm body.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:51 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I mean, what choice have we got? We can sit here and pick at the risk he is taking on recruits and be bummed that they might not work out. OR, we can give the new coach and player the benefit of the doubt and be a lot happier until proven wrong. I choose the later, it's just a hell of lot more fun. Just sayin'.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
axehandle (05-12-2012), CvilleFlyer (05-12-2012), Hyde Park Flyer (05-11-2012), UD Sam (05-13-2012), ud2 (05-12-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,429 Times in 754 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
i, too, choose sdf's path. am has recruited very taltented kids at osu and arizona. i'm sure he has an idea at what he's looking at when he watches a kid play and at tape. i doubt that he just reads hs coach recommendations and offers. steve nash is excited about pierre, and i tend to think he knows more about talent than nearly all of us on this board. i have no hesitation about brozja. when i watched drazen play in zagreb (croatia...i'll spare some the time of looking it up), jugoslavia (in honor of all southern slavs, i'll spell it with the j) had not been divided by war. jugoslavia was considered the #2 basketball country in the world. i think the ranking was based on fans and participation. they may not have won the olympics, but they love the game. if am is satisfied, i think the folks here will be satisfied. folks need to worry less about how recruits performed under bg and op. let's give am a shot and consider a bit of optimism.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:47 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
We can debate on here till the cows come home but the truth of the matter is AM and his staff have probably already prioritized who they want with the two remaining scholies. It is up to them to say either yes or no to UD. These are all very talented players who have an upside!

AM sees the whole scheme of things down the road and, just like last season, we will be pleasantly surprised. I can't wait till this season starts! I wish it started tomorrow!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-13-2012), San Diego Flyer (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
I mean, what choice have we got? We can sit here and pick at the risk he is taking on recruits and be bummed that they might not work out. OR, we can give the new coach and player the benefit of the doubt and be a lot happier until proven wrong. I choose the later, it's just a hell of lot more fun. Just sayin'.
I agree. This post pertains to the doubts being expressed on the Dickerson thread also. I understand that it is difficult to be optimistic sometimes based upon getting burned in the past, but you have to have faith that things can get better.

Kind of like that movie Kelly's Heroes with Oddball(Donald Sutherland): "Always with the negative waves."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwTGGHaCHAE
Old 05-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
while we're waiting around to hear about taylor/pierre found this:

@ChrisEmmaScout: A source tells me uncommitted three-star guard Mislav Brzoja will likely commit this week. Asked for a prediction: "#Northwestern."
Mad Props to FlyerFanatic08 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 01:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic08 View Post

@ChrisEmmaScout: A source tells me uncommitted three-star guard Mislav Brzoja will likely commit this week. Asked for a prediction: "#Northwestern."
He works for Northwestern scout.com, maybe a little bias, so we'll see if that happens
Old 05-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
He works for Northwestern scout.com, maybe a little bias, so we'll see if that happens
yeah i was thinking too, but my guess he has some sources, though maybe the source wanted to appease him a bit and said his prediction is northwestern
Old 05-13-2012, 02:03 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I think that the coaching staff knows who is coming and most of us will be happy.
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
lhsgolf19 (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 02:27 PM
General of the Air Force

lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I think that the coaching staff knows who is coming and most of us will be happy.
I agree, let's wait and see what happens... I know amongst the last few remaining targets, all of them are very good players and I will be happy if they join the family
Old 05-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

I have read some stuff that suggests he is very close to an assistant on Northwestern's staff. I believe this coach is Croatian. A Rhode Island fan posted this on another board back in January:

"just spoke with my Croatian friend that played there (northwestern) and just graduated (played aganist us in NIT)...said that Brzoja was sent to the Indiana school to play with another NW recruit. He will end up at Northwestern (Croatian assistant recruits all these guys) as long as he performs as expected this year. Very unlikely URI gets him, and if they do its because Northwestern passed on him."
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-13-2012), Glen Clark (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
Another weekend. No commitments. I was surprised we did not hear about Pierre. Sounds like Brzoja to Northwestern.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Gilchrist's Autograph 2 View Post
Another weekend. No commitments. I was surprised we did not hear about Pierre. Sounds like Brzoja to Northwestern.
Posted via Mobile Device
not sure if its because they waited to hold off or they notified coaches and it just hasn't been announced yet.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Major General

I think we'll hear today on Pierre.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 11:01 AM
General of the Air Force

The next few days are going to be very interesting to watch with Pierre, Brzoja & Ryan Taylor set to announce.

Let's hope Archie locks up at least one of those 3.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:43 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Hope Ryan Taylor. Know we need another guard, but also stockpiling quality assets is a good thing for the long haul.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:54 PM

I am more than ready to wait on Taylor for a year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 01:03 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
wake me when it's over.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 04:53 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
The next few days are going to be very interesting to watch with Pierre, Brzoja & Ryan Taylor set to announce.

Let's hope Archie locks up at least one of those 3.
Well, it looks like he locked up Pierre, whom I believe to be a fine player. Brzoja appears to be unlikely at this point. I think we are still in the midst of the hunt for Ryan Taylor. He would be a fine addition to the Flyers' rotation for the coming years.

One consistent trait I have noticed with Archie's players is the fact that they all seem to be able to finish around the bucket. I really like that, as X has always owned us in that category.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 PM

Just a guess here, but it would seem that Arch was going to take Sibert with either of the two 'ships before Ralph exited. The bond there, and the talent, was too good to pass on.

Now with Pierre in the fold, the last scholarship represents the dividend that Arch was looking for IF Ralph chose to leave. Could be a guard, could be Taylor, could be Jordan--or others. And then again maybe none at all--pocket it.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Just off the Jet

rscale31 is on a distinguished road
Per the Twitter account of Chris Emma of Scout.com:
"Mislav Brzoja has given #Northwestern his commitment, but awaits admittance to the university"
"Brzoja feels confident he will be admitted to #Northwestern, but if admissions denies his transcripts, he will be a Dayton Flyer."
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rscale31 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (05-14-2012), lhsgolf19 (05-14-2012), San Diego Flyer (05-14-2012), UD Sam (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 PM
General of the Air Force

Very interesting... dunno what to think lol
Old 05-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Captain

hoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to beholdhoch21 is a splendid one to behold
Nothing like being a backup plan to a perennial bottom dweller in the Big Ten lol
Mad Props to hoch21 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 PM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure about taking a guy who would rather be elsewhere
Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Major General

Northwestern supposedly hasn't relaxed academic standards much for athletes.

http://www.northbynorthwestern.com/s...are-too-smart/

But it might not be a grades / test score question with Brzoja. Like Alex, who couldn't get eligible to play at Providence, there might be questions about his transcript having gone to school in Croatia up until his senior year. But I think that might be an NCAA determination and not an admissions issue getting into Northwestern. I wonder if Emma is reporting what he was told by Brzoja even if Brzoja doesn't fully understand the distinction between getting through the clearinghouse and getting into the university.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:31 PM

I don't understand the negativity here. Kid has offers from Bradley, NU, Ohio U, Providence, Rhode Island, Utah and Dayton. He was invited to show off for Kentucky but not offered.

He wants to play ball and get a good education. Examining the whole body of work we are his second pick. At least he comes out and says it so he doesn't string the others along.

Not a big deal. Question is how does Arch feel about him vs Ryan Taylor? I'm wagering that he's our second pick too.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-15-2012), longtimefan (05-14-2012), UD Sam (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Brigadier General

Northwestern supposedly hasn't relaxed academic standards much for athletes.

http://www.northbynorthwestern.com/s...are-too-smart/

But it might not be a grades / test score question with Brzoja. Like Alex, who couldn't get eligible to play at Providence, there might be questions about his transcript having gone to school in Croatia up until his senior year. But I think that might be an NCAA determination and not an admissions issue getting into Northwestern. I wonder if Emma is reporting what he was told by Brzoja even if Brzoja doesn't fully understand the distinction between getting through the clearinghouse and getting into the university.
thats how i took it as well. doesn't seem to be a test score question, simply has to hand over transcripts, northwestern has to make sure he is good to go and boom done deal. though interesting it says if for some reason its a no go hes a dayton flyer. does that mean dayton has already told him its a go if he wants it?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:53 PM

Strange that 1) this hasn't already been done 2) that it is even mentioned ... How often do you hear something like this before the fact?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Major General

I hope there is no negativity that relates to a guy who ended up at Illinois. I feel like there are some who might compare two guys whose first choice was a big 10 school. But this is a kid who grew up in Croatia. Its not like he grew up in Evanston, Il, and wants to play for the hometown team that doesn't want him. Northwestern has a Croatian on their coaching staff and I believe has had a Croatian player or two. If that was the case at UD, UD would likely be his first choice. If he somehow ends up at UD, don't hold it against him.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,053 Times in 471 Posts
UD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond reputeUD Sam has a reputation beyond repute
Knowing his reasons for picking Northwestern, who could blame him. If he does come to Dayton, I doubt that UD Priders would hold it against him that we weren't his #1 pick. The Evanston player was a way different story. He stuck it to UD by transferring in late June...too late for BG to get another quality guard.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Brigadier General

Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
am's in a tough position recruiting against a croatian assistant coach. americans don't know much about croatian history and even less about their culture. i highly doubt that am has any idea what raznjici is. it's unlikely that he has a clue about the patriarchically ordered society mislav grew up in. i truly doubt that am even knows that zagreb is a very large catholic city. the extent of most people's knowledge about zagreb is that james bond was on a train in from russia with love that stopped in the zagreb train station. my point is that i can see the croatian assistant coach making a huge difference. in the absence of any hometown connection, it doesn't matter if people are unfamiliar with a recruits homeland. but particularly where the home country is a small country with a poorly understood history, it makes a difference. i certainly won't criticize am for coming in #2.
Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD Sam (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Major General

Meacham actually grew up in Champaign. Northwestern is in Evanston which is why I threw that city out there, but you get the point.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD Sam (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by UD Sam View Post
Knowing his reasons for picking Northwestern, who could blame him. If he does come to Dayton, I doubt that UD Priders would hold it against him that we weren't his #1 pick. The Evanston player was a way different story. He stuck it to UD by transferring in late June...too late for BG to get another quality guard.
The issue with that player was that he never wanted to be at UD in the first place. I remember reading an article after he left that he talked often about Illinois and wanting to play there.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:40 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
FYI

Final day for signing National LOI is Wednesday - 5/16/12. Certainly, that date will move some guys off the fence.

One can still matriculate after that date - but not sign LOI.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/nli/nli

Last edited by ud69; 05-14-2012 at 11:42 PM..
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Lieutenant General

FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Not a big deal. Question is how does Arch feel about him vs Ryan Taylor? I'm wagering that he's our second pick too.
It's tough to say between Mislav, Dickerson, and Taylor. Taylor may be the most talented, but will he qualify? Dickerson certainly has the most unique skillset (if you count 7-1 as a skill), but I doubt we're near the top of his list, so it's hard to imagine we hold the spot for him if we can get another highly regarded player. Mislav looks to be someone that would fill a role that we're still lacking: 3 point specialist/SG, but his offer may not even be on the table anymore if AM is content that Sibert/Pierre satisfies his needs on the wing. And what about Wilbut?

For that matter, it may be the case that none of the 3 has an offer on the table anymore if AM wants to hold one open. If I had to guess, though, I think any of the 3 could probably still claim that scholarship if they wanted it, with AM's preferences being:

1. Dickerson
2. Taylor
3. Mislav

Just a wild guess.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Brigadier General

in terms of recruiting, how does a coach who might prefer a player over a couple other players tell a player who he's offered a scholly to, that he has to wait. i mean for instance say mislav calls and says archie i'm coming to dayton, but archie prefers taylor and still hasn't heard from him. does he tell mislav, sorry buddy, but i'm still waiting to hear from someone else. seems like that would be awkward
Mad Props to FlyerFanatic08 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Lieutenant General

in terms of recruiting, how does a coach who might prefer a player over a couple other players tell a player who he's offered a scholly to, that he has to wait. i mean for instance say mislav calls and says archie i'm coming to dayton, but archie prefers taylor and still hasn't heard from him. does he tell mislav, sorry buddy, but i'm still waiting to hear from someone else. seems like that would be awkward
I could be wrong, but I don't think that would happen. Either Mislav has an offer and can accept it, or the offer was rescinded when Pierre accepted.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Brigadier General

if a coach is waiting on another recruit to decide, my guess is that the coach doesn't offer. i could see it being a conversation where the coach says he's very interested and has to check on some things before he can offer. he tells the recruit to stay in close contact and to let him know if he picks up any offers. i would think that the coaches let the recruits know if they're no longer interested (that should read that the coach tells him the other recruit committed).
Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
It's tough to say between Mislav, Dickerson, and Taylor. Taylor may be the most talented, but will he qualify? Dickerson certainly has the most unique skillset (if you count 7-1 as a skill), but I doubt we're near the top of his list, so it's hard to imagine we hold the spot for him if we can get another highly regarded player. Mislav looks to be someone that would fill a role that we're still lacking: 3 point specialist/SG, but his offer may not even be on the table anymore if AM is content that Sibert/Pierre satisfies his needs on the wing. And what about Wilbut?

For that matter, it may be the case that none of the 3 has an offer on the table anymore if AM wants to hold one open. If I had to guess, though, I think any of the 3 could probably still claim that scholarship if they wanted it, with AM's preferences being:

1. Dickerson
2. Taylor
3. Mislav

Just a wild guess.
That would be my preference too, but while Taylor has UD "very high" on his list, Dickerson has been guarded about commenting. With Jordan, who is a NY native, we are recruiting against 4 BE programs. More of a stacked deck against us. I could see Arch going with your 3 picks and being happy.

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 05-15-2012 at 09:01 AM..
Old 05-15-2012, 10:22 AM

That would be my preference too, but while Taylor has UD "very high" on his list, Dickerson has been guarded about commenting. With Jordan, who is a NY native, we are recruiting against 4 BE programs. More of a stacked deck against us. I could see Arch going with your 3 picks and being happy.
What other BE programs are recruiting Dickerson other than maybe Cincinnati?

With Dickerson vs. Taylor, that seems sort of like need vs. want. IMO, UD has more of a need for a big center vs. another sf, but UD also wants to get the highest rated recruits, and Taylor is rated higher than Dickerson.

Last edited by ud2; 05-15-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Flyer 86 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
Hoch21 had a funny Post, but I don't think anyone would, or should, hold anything against the kid if he winds up here instead of NU. The Meachem situation was a totally different ball of wax and I still think it was family pressure more than anything else that determined that move...but that's another story.

Does anyone have a good feel for where we stand with kids that can hit from beyond the arc or are consistently good outside shooters? We seem to have quite a few kids that can slash and go to the hoop, but do we have any kids with a decent outside shot? If not, I would expect AM to focus on signing a kid with good perimeter skills or a legitimate center, if available.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think that would happen. Either Mislav has an offer and can accept it, or the offer was rescinded when Pierre accepted.
I doubt they rescinded the offer. My guess is first of Taylor, Wilbut or Mislav to accept gets the schollie. I really don't know where things are with Dickerson.

We're going past the signing deadline of NLI, so it really doesn't matter on timing. If Mislav learns later he doesn't get in NU, and Wilbut and Taylor don't qualify, a schollie is still open. Unless Taylor accepts and gets the waiver (partial qualifier) then he's got the last one locked up.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
What other BE programs are recruiting Dickerson other than maybe Cincinnati?
St. Johns, Villanova, Cinn, West Virginia.

And a very good program at B12 KSU.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-15-2012), ud2 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Major General

I doubt they rescinded the offer. My guess is first of Taylor, Wilbut or Mislav to accept gets the schollie. I really don't know where things are with Dickerson.

We're going past the signing deadline of NLI, so it really doesn't matter on timing. If Mislav learns later he doesn't get in NU, and Wilbut and Taylor don't qualify, a schollie is still open. Unless Taylor accepts and gets the waiver (partial qualifier) then he's got the last one locked up.
Maybe. But I think if Mislav doesn't get in to Northwestern, it means he didn't get through the clearinghouse. Which means he can't play anywhere next year. That's exactly what happened to Alex Gavrilovic who couldn't get into Providence the first go around. With all the foreign credits, he needed an extra year to get things in order. Mislav may think he has a backup plan for Northwestern in UD, but even if Dayton has an open scholarship, it may not work out as he/we would like.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:20 PM

Thanked 3,137 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think there is any question that it is tougher getting in NW than UD. It may not be clearinghouse. There is a reason that NW has never been to the NCAA tournament.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Brigadier General

it's funny that we're talking about him possibly not making it through the clearinghouse. i knew a high school senior when i was in zagreb, croatia (mislav's hometown) who got a perfect 1600 on the s.a.t. of course, that has nothing to do with mislav. it's still kinda funny to me.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, I think Frank Martin was recruting him while he was at K State, but now that he's at South Carolina, it's USC that is after him. Don't think K State is still in the picture. Florida State also interested, from what I heard.
Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 12:51 PM

Thanks, honestly, probably not much of a chance going up against those 4.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM

I don't think his issue with the clearinghouse is likely to be the standardized test scores. Most of the foreign students who have clearinghouse issues have them over their high school classes, not the test scores.

I can't recall who it was, but someone a few years back had a 1300 like SAT score and was rejected because he didn't have the appropriate number and type of core courses - including English.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Brigadier General

i certainly get your point doug. i was just pointing out an interesting fact. fortunately for him, croatia does well with education. they were influenced by the austrians, who emphasized knowledge and education.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:48 PM
General of the Air Force

Ryan Taylor has signed with Marshall

Paul Seaver ‏ @TheArenaPulse
Ryan Taylor ('12) has signed with Marshall.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (05-15-2012), San Diego Flyer (05-15-2012), ud2 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Brigadier General

interesting, so with mislav prob going to NW...leaves dickerson..which is a slim possibility. wonder if arch just plans on banking that last scholly then
Old 05-15-2012, 01:52 PM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
great posts and reasoning by all.

Can someone please post vital info on Wilbut.
Size, school attended, style of player.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Major General

What connections does Taylor have with Marshall? I guess I don't know what other schools besides Dayton he was considering, but I can't believe he chose Marshall.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:55 PM
General of the Air Force

What connections does Taylor have with Marshall? I guess I don't know what other schools besides Dayton he was considering, but I can't believe he chose Marshall.
My guess is his grades & test scores are a HUGE concern because I might be extremely wrong but I don't think it is hard at all to get into Marshall.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:06 PM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
will check other posts. is this a Done Deal???
Old 05-15-2012, 02:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
will check other posts. is this a Done Deal???
It is not a done deal until DallasFlyer says it is a done deal.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 PM

interesting, so with mislav prob going to NW...leaves dickerson..which is a slim possibility. wonder if arch just plans on banking that last scholly then
IMO we still need another point guard. Wondering whether the JC route would get us a defensive-minded pg with a good handle for several years.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 PM

Did anyone ever know why Taylor decommitted from Louisville? Just seems strange to go from Louisville to Marshall. Academics I guess, maybe he isn't going to qualify.

Last edited by ud2; 05-15-2012 at 02:23 PM..
Old 05-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Lieutenant General

IMO we still need another point guard. Wondering whether the JC route would get us a defensive-minded pg with a good handle for several years.
Agreed. A transfer PG might be an option, too. With Dillard starting, we just need Price and/or Vee to provide stopgap minutes this year. It's the following year that is the question mark.

I hope Price works out and he's a solid contributor, eventually a starter and even a star. But nothing in his ratings or the other schools recruiting him gives assurance of that... definitely a question mark at this point. Given that, it would be better to have more options and competition for the starting job in 13-14. A juco this year or next or a transfer this year would also provide an upperclassman option at PG.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Brigadier General

isn't SG still much more of a need though? unless pierre can play some 2.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
It is not a done deal until DallasFlyer says it is a done deal.
Ha! I have no connections, inside info, or fortune-telling ability. More importantly, I don't think Ryan Taylor has a twitter account.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:33 PM

isn't SG still much more of a need though? unless pierre can play some 2.
According to Doug Harris, Pierre can play the 2, 3, or 4 position: "UD assistant Allen Griffin scouted Pierre in Latvia, and the staff saw him two other times. The Flyers need backcourt help next season, and he can play the 2 guard or either forward spot."

So, it is certainly possible that Archie just pockets the last ship since every positional need appears to have been met other than maybe trying to land a big man.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...a-1375655.html
Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Major General

According to Doug Harris, Pierre can play the 2, 3, or 4 position: "UD assistant Allen Griffin scouted Pierre in Latvia, and the staff saw him two other times. The Flyers need backcourt help next season, and he can play the 2 guard or either forward spot."

So, it is certainly possible that Archie just pockets the last ship since every positional need appears to have been met other than maybe trying to land a big man.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...a-1375655.html
So I read that, but I don't believe it. I think he may be athletic enough to guard positions 2-4. But I like my shooting guards to be great ball handlers who can shoot the rock. So I don't think Pierre is going to be able to step in and do those things next year, and frankly, I don't think Devin Oliver can excel in that role either. I do think Vee can though. And I think Derenbecker can. And if you ever wanted to play Dillard and Khari Price at the same time, well that might work too.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:48 PM

Some pg's can play the 2 (Dillard could), but it's rare that a sg can play point other than brief relief duty. Robert's tried hard, but not a natural pg--same with Parker.

We could stand to have another pure pg this coming season. Enough talk about Paul Williams-type players being back-up pgs. Just because a player has a g. behind his name doesn't mean he can set up the offense, run the plays, handle the ball in traffic, recognize the defense and make changes on the fly, et.al.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-15-2012), UD Sam (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 03:49 PM

Did anyone ever know why Taylor decommitted from Louisville? Just seems strange to go from Louisville to Marshall. Academics I guess, maybe he isn't going to qualify.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...d-1374465.html

Louisville backed off Taylor because of academic issues.

"He committed to the University of Louisville before the school backed off because of academic issues."

Also, the DDN article from Sunday said this: "Ryan Taylor played for his uncle, Paul Handley, at Louisville Western High School in 2010-11 before going to a prep school this year, and the two have had discussions all week to help the player sift through his scholarship offers.

Handley said the 6-foot-6 forward is choosing between Dayton, Cincinnati, Arkansas and West Virginia and probably will decide this weekend."

Looks like Handley was wrong about that.

One more thing from the article:

"Taylor said last month he still needed to pass either the ACT or SAT to play as a freshman in college, and it’s unclear where he stands with that."

Last edited by ud2; 05-15-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Old 05-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Brigadier General

my guess handley didn't realize how bad taylor's academics really were imo. how do you go from that list to choosing marshall?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Major General

Some pg's can play the 2 (Dillard could), but it's rare that a sg can play point other than brief relief duty. Robert's tried hard, but not a natural pg--same with Parker.

We could stand to have another pure pg this coming season. Enough talk about Paul Williams-type players being back-up pgs. Just because a player has a g. behind his name doesn't mean he can set up the offense, run the plays, handle the ball in traffic, recognize the defense and make changes on the fly, et.al.
PGs that can play the 2 well are ones who in addition to their PG duties, are great scorers. I'm all for a scoring guard, regardless of how they are classified.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:49 PM

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute

Marshall?????
Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute

No surprise here with the recent signing of our new favorite Canadian, eh?
Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
According to espn.com rumor central (insider needed) Brzoja has committed to Northwestern but has not been accepted to school. If they do not accept him he will then commit to UD.

I thought that this was pretty specific for them to say, so they must have a good source. If I was not on my phone I would have provided a link.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
According to espn.com rumor central (insider needed) Brzoja has committed to Northwestern but has not been accepted to school. If they do not accept him he will then commit to UD.

I thought that this was pretty specific for them to say, so they must have a good source. If I was not on my phone I would have provided a link.
Scout.com guy said the same thing. They're all just regurgitating the same info. In my opinion, the issue is not getting into Northwestern or UD. It's getting through the NCAA clearinghouse. He's probably got all kinds of credits that don't match up exactly with what's taught in the US of A.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 PM

Thanked 1,403 Times in 429 Posts
Flyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond repute
Looking at a few NU websites, they are not at all convinced that he will get to be admitted. Sounds like they have been down this road a time or two in the past with recruits.
Mad Props to Flyer Al For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 06:26 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton offers - class of 2012

What do Ryan Taylor, Tamron Manning, and Kareem Canty have in common?
All were offered by UD - but ended up at Marshall.
D@mn you, Thundering Herd!

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (05-15-2012), Flyer 86 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 07:45 PM

Right now I don't see Pierre as a big threat at the 2 or the 3. I like wings who can hit the three. Ideally three shooters on the floor, including both wings. If the point guard can't then a bug needs to be able to step out and flare.

Archie has said he likes having an open schollie for transfers. If a Wilbut qualifies he might use the last but I guess he holds it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,914 Times in 2,926 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Guess UD shoulda hired Ron Jirsa to replace OP...wait...never mind
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Brigadier General

Right now I don't see Pierre as a big threat at the 2 or the 3. I like wings who can hit the three. Ideally three shooters on the floor, including both wings. If the point guard can't then a bug needs to be able to step out and flare.

Archie has said he likes having an open schollie for transfers. If a Wilbut qualifies he might use the last but I guess he holds it.
Posted via Mobile Device
think that scholly was used on sibert, so maybe archie does use up the last one. i doubt he uses it on someone just to use it though. so he may bank it
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
What ever happened to Kedar Edwards?
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 PM
General

Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
He's still out there:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba.../kedar-edwards

Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Major General

I just read the Northwestern scout.com writer's piece on Brzoja. Pending review of his transcripts, the thought is that he can compete for a starting point guard spot. I thought he was a 2 who could probably play a bit at the small forward spot if he was needed there. Surprised they are looking at him at pg.

http://northwestern.scout.com/2/1186469.html
Old 05-15-2012, 10:40 PM
1st Lieutenant

funeralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to all
If Brzoja is not allowed admittance to Northwestern, he will elect to attend school at Dayton.

I thought that was interesting.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:46 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I just read the Northwestern scout.com writer's piece on Brzoja. Pending review of his transcripts, the thought is that he can compete for a starting point guard spot. I thought he was a 2 who could probably play a bit at the small forward spot if he was needed there. Surprised they are looking at him at pg.

http://northwestern.scout.com/2/1186469.html
Once again the mention of UD. Maybe AM is waiting on NW to make his final offer.

He looks like a 2 to me. His mobility is not good enough for the point.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:30 AM

It might be in NW system. But not to play a Dillard type role.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Major

BOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really niceBOF02 is just really nice
2nd semester 12/13/

think that scholly was used on sibert, so maybe archie does use up the last one. i doubt he uses it on someone just to use it though. so he may bank it
Archie may want to hold that scholarship for a player transferring in 2nd semester 12/13. I see Sean Miller just announced his 3 transfers for 12/13 season.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:07 PM
1st Lieutenant

Paris has a reputation beyond reputeParis has a reputation beyond reputeParis has a reputation beyond reputeParis has a reputation beyond reputeParis has a reputation beyond reputeParis has a reputation beyond reputeParis has a reputation beyond reputeParis has a reputation beyond reputeParis has a reputation beyond reputeParis has a reputation beyond reputeParis has a reputation beyond repute
For those about depth at SG, here is a little about what the stats say about Derenbecker's time at LSU:

In 2010-2011, LSU had three bona-fide guards on the roster:

Andre Stringer 5-9 170lbs, 30.6 mpg
Chris Bass 6-1 185lbs, 16.4 mpg
Daron Populist 5-10 170lbs, 5.5 mpg

The remaining 27.5 minutes of "guard play" would have had to come from the following three players:

Aaron Dotson 6-4 205lbs, 23.5 mpg
Ralston Turner 6-6 193lbs, 29.8 mpg
Matt Derenbecker 6-7 185lbs, 22.6 mpg

While you may at first think that Aaron Dotson at 6'4" was obviously the other guard, the stats indicate otherwise. He actually played more like a SF than the other two taller (but lighter) players. The traditional SF/WF plays an inside/outside game, so you would expect a balance between the "outside" offensive stats (3P FGAs, maybe assists) and the "inside" offensive stats (offensive rebounding, number FT attempts). Here is how the players stack up:

Perimeter-oriented stats:

Dotson => 56 3pt FGA vs 98 2pt FGA, 13.7 assist rate
Turner => 149 3pt FGA vs 149 2pt FGA, 13.3 assist rate
Derenbecker => 107 3pt FGA vs 90 2pt FGA, 13.1 assist rate

Dotson took almost twice as many 2pt shots as 3 pt shots, while both Turner and Derenbecker were about 50-50. The assist rate is a wash (PGs are usually in the 25-30 range on assist rate, for example, so none of the three were doing a lot of passing).

Post-oriented stats:

Dotson => 104 FTA vs 154 FGA (67.5 FTrate), 4.1% Offensive Rebounds
Turner => 91 FTA vs 298 FGA (30.5 FTrate), 1.6% Offensive Rebounds
Derenbecker => 30 FTA vs 197 FGA (15.2 FTrate), 1.4% Offensive Rebounds

The stats pretty clearly show that Dotson played much closer to the rim on offense than either Turner or Derenbecker.

Furthermore, Derenbecker took 90 two point shots, but only had 30 Free throw attempts. This indicates that Matt was not a driver to the basket and was taking 2pt jump shots rather than layups. Turner, on the other hand, took 149 two point shots, but had three times as many free throw attempts.

So from this, we can infer that of the three player SG/SF mix at LSU, Derenbecker was the most perimeter oriented of the three. Doesn't mean he was a "good" SG, only that they had him play around the three point line and shoot jumpers most of the time. If that is what Miller wants from his SG (and I would think maybe not...) then Derenbecker has at least done some of that before.

And for those thinking that Luke Fab also took a lot of jump shots from the perimeter but wasn't anywhere near a SG, Luke ONLY took 3pt jump shots:

Luke Fabrizius (2011-2012) => 38 2p FGA & 16 FTAs vs 106 3p FGA

Derenbecker was much more balanced with his shot selection between two and three pointers at LSU.
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Paris For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (05-16-2012), DallasFlyer (05-16-2012), FIFO28 (05-16-2012), Fudd (05-20-2012), LI Flyer (05-16-2012), m21eagle45 (05-16-2012), NorthwestFlyer (05-16-2012), sheg (05-16-2012), THirt (05-20-2012), UD Sam (05-16-2012), UDBrian (05-17-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Major General

Informative post re: Derenbecker. If you want to oversimplify spots 1-3, Dayton basically has: 2 point guards (Dillard and Price), 2 perimeter shooters (Sanford and Derenbecker), and 2 slashers (Oliver and Pierre).

Looking at it another way Dayton has 3 point guards (Dillard, Price, Sanford), 4 perimeter shooters (Dillard, Price, Sanford, Derenbecker) and 3 slashers (Dillard, Oliver and Pierre).

Dillard does it all well. Dayton will go as he goes. I think there are enough complimentary pieces in the backcourt.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Colonel

Paris- great post!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
He's still out there:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba.../kedar-edwards

http://twitter.com/#!/SourceHoops/st...34761478180864

I assume he's going to junior college because he couldn't qualify? Why not go to prep school instead so that you have 4 years of eligibility left?
DallasFlyer (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 01:42 PM

I assume he's going to junior college because he couldn't qualify? Why not go to prep school instead so that you have 4 years of eligibility left?
NCAA made a recent rule change so that only a limited number of grades can be improved (maybe only 1 core course?) and so going to prep school may not be allow a player to get eligible by spending a year at a post grad prep school
Old 05-30-2012, 10:35 PM
General

Another possibility for the class of 2013

Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 View Post
It'd be nice to get a SG with some upside who could contribute 6-10 min a game this year, do any of these guys fit that profile?
Reggie Rankin reports that Jalen James' AAU coach Mike Mullins has tweeted that James has reopened his recruitment. James - a 6'3" 175 lbs point guard from Chicago, IL La Lumiere School - was an early commit to Illinois. He was ranked #38 at his position nationally. Here's a look at his profile:
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-s...86/jalen-james

note: this is an ESPN insider posting and may not be entirely visible.

Weaknesses:
"Shooting the basketball with consistency to the arc . . . be better at running his team in the halfcourt."

Strengths:
"Jalen's an athletic point guard [who] will be a good fit for the Illini's motion offense and pressure defense. He's a highlight reel on the break."

One has to wonder if James - who was recruited by Bruce Weber - didn't fit the coaching style of John Groce. Also, the recent unexpected departure of assistant coach Isaac Chew for Marquette could be a factor in his decision:
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...y-proves-short

". . . the loss is especially difficult for Illinois because of the job Chew was hired to do: recruit Chicago. That was his calling card when he took the gig, the reason Marquette hired him away, and one of the most important things Groce is looking to do as he attempts to rebuild the shaky roster left behind by former coach Bruce Weber."

Last edited by Glen Clark; 05-30-2012 at 10:41 PM..