Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:53 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer View Post
Well, Calipari is "very close" (in fact, possibly related) to the Millers, and he basically lobbied for Archie to get the IU job, so.....
So at least one person picked up on the subliminal suggestion...he IS in fact related to AM. Hate to say this (on second thought, I don't hate to say it...) but this reeks of JC's influence...
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2017, 09:58 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
John Miller seemed as surprised as anyone, but was/is that just Miller talk. We will see if AM walks the walk or just talk the talk.

Hard to believe if a University is all that Big of a program on the national level they'd have to poach or steal players from a mid major program. If you are aspiring to again be relevant in the national top 10 then act like it and get your own recruits.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Major

momszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud of
Wolfson was just having a convo with a friend of mine who's a journalist for the Xenia Post Gazzette. His comment was more opinion from all the crap we've all read. He probably got his fake news from reading all your speculative posts on UD Pride. :-)
Mad Props to momszer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:09 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
All to often, when a coach leaves and a new coach is hired, you see the new coach cleaning house to make room for "his" recruits to follow him. See John Calipari (any place he's ever been) and watch his "actions". How completely unethical is that? Someone else suggested that players should be able to follow the coach when his coach leaves to take another job. That should only be allowed to happen without penalty if the new coach (in this case Dayton) tells the player he's been released from obligation. If Archie poaches players from UD, he'll destroy any legacy (and respect) that he's earned.
I have no problem with Calipari or anyone else coming in to a new situation, and being honest with the new guys regarding playing time. That strikes me as the ethical thing to do. Now, it does really suck though if a new coach comes in and says basically you are very unlikely to get playing time in his system as that essentially forces you to transfer and sit a year. But it is what it is.

Well, Calipari is "very close" (in fact, possibly related) to the Millers, and he basically lobbied for Archie to get the IU job, so.....
You know I find myself not disliking Calipari quite as much. He's definitely slimy. And I still don't like him by any stretch but I think the guy is not all bad. Mostly bad, but not all bad. If there's one redeeming quality about that guy, I think it's loyalty to his guys. The Millers are his guys. He grew up with them. They are cousins or whatever. John Miller coached him. So he's going to bat for these (his) guys, no matter what.

So at least one person picked up on the subliminal suggestion...he IS in fact related to AM. Hate to say this (on second thought, I don't hate to say it...) but this reeks of JC's influence...
Not sure what you are implying. That Calipari is trying to screw Dayton? Calipari couldn't care less what Dayton does. Dayton does not really pose a threat to how he operates. Conversely, Kentucky and Indiana are always going to do battle for recruits (and fans since their fanbases overlap). So there's really no reason for Calipari to endorse a candidate for the Indiana job. Except that it's one of his guys. If he loses a recruiting battle somewhere along the way because of it, so be it. He stuck up for a Miller because those are his guys.

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 03-28-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
Would lose a lot of respect for Archie if he takes any recruits/players to Indiana. Just bad form.

If and when Dayton releases a player, I believe Dayton can say cannot sign with A-10, Indiana, etc. Not for sure here, would be curious.
Archie gets paid to win. If there's a kid out there he thinks can help him win, he will go after that kid. If he reached out to MW and offered him a spot, you may not like it, but it's business.

Archie is going to be on a short leash. I'm sure he'd rather get his guys in there ASAP then settle on someone else and endure a few bumpy years. He's not worried about hurting people's feelings at UD, he's worried about winning and being successful at Indiana. You can be sincere and honest in appreciating your time at UD while still understanding its a business and you get paid to win. If he gets fried from IU, 'being sincere abt his time at UD' won't get him anywhere.

If you switched jobs and were managing people, you'd want the best team in place to succeed day 1. Happens all the time in the real world. It doesn't happen often in college basketball because rarely are there kids who can play at the next level. How many kids on our roster were recruited by Indiana? That's why you didn't hear anything about Brad Brownell taking kids from WSU to Clemson or Kevin Keatts taking kids from UNC Wilmington to NC St.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfan4life (03-28-2017), m21eagle45 (03-28-2017), st marys (03-28-2017), steve (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
You know I find myself not disliking Calipari quite as much. He's definitely slimy. And I still don't like him by any stretch but I think the guy is not all bad. Mostly bad, but not all bad. If there's one redeeming quality about that guy, I think it's loyalty to his guys. The Millers are his guys. He grew up with them. John Miller coached him. And he's going to bat for these (his) guys, no matter what. Kentucky and Indiana are always going to do battle for recruits, and there's no reason for Calipari to endorse a candidate for the Indiana job. Except that it's one of his guys. If he loses a recruiting battle somewhere along the way because of it, so be it. He stuck up for his guy.

Great post. Loyalty appears to be one of his virtuous characteristics. And he wins. He knows how to win.

But all that seems to trump ethics in his world, and probably not the guy you want to "mentor" your school's coach, if you know what I mean. That's always been in the back of mind, that Archie is a fantastic coach, but he has some "Calipari" in him...
Old 03-28-2017, 10:26 AM
Captain

UD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to allUD93 Steve is a name known to all
If this is still a thread about McKinnley Wright, I though I would post that the DDN is reporting that if Ostrom is not hired, Wright is likely going to IU. Source is a Minnesota TV station.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
I always felt Archie was a standup guy that is as honest as the day is long.... and maybe he is... but if I step back and look at his ties to Calipari, Crean, the Harbaughs, ... not really outstanding basketball citizens in my book. Umm guilty by association???? just thinking out loud!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:32 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 224 View Post
Archie gets paid to win. If there's a kid out there he thinks can help him win, he will go after that kid. If he reached out to MW and offered him a spot, you may not like it, but it's business.

Archie is going to be on a short leash. I'm sure he'd rather get his guys in there ASAP then settle on someone else and endure a few bumpy years. He's not worried about hurting people's feelings at UD, he's worried about winning and being successful at Indiana. You can be sincere and honest in appreciating your time at UD while still understanding its a business and you get paid to win. If he gets fried from IU, 'being sincere abt his time at UD' won't get him anywhere.

If you switched jobs and were managing people, you'd want the best team in place to succeed day 1. Happens all the time in the real world. It doesn't happen often in college basketball because rarely are there kids who can play at the next level. How many kids on our roster were recruited by Indiana? That's why you didn't hear anything about Brad Brownell taking kids from WSU to Clemson or Kevin Keatts taking kids from UNC Wilmington to NC St.
You are forgetting one very important point. It is in violation of NCAA rules to contact a player who is under NLI with another school. If Miller contacted him directly or through surrogates he could be in trouble. He needs to stay away from recruits under NLI-period.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-28-2017), CJ2etc (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:33 AM
Brigadier General

FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TerryK_67 View Post
I always felt Archie was a standup guy that is as honest as the day is long.... and maybe he is... but if I step back and look at his ties to Calipari, Crean, the Harbaughs, ... not really outstanding basketball citizens in my book. Umm guilty by association???? just thinking out loud!

Archie has ties to Crean and the Harbaughs?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:35 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,462 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD93 Steve View Post
If this is still a thread about McKinnley Wright, I though I would post that the DDN is reporting that if Ostrom is not hired, Wright is likely going to IU. Source is a Minnesota TV station.
This is the same sourcing as noted above in this thread. It's not a new source saying this and the DDN has not talked to Wright. And they haven't talked to the original post guy in MN. I almost can't believe they would report this based on one source's Internet post. Back on my day of working for newspapers, we had to have two sources on something like this and we had to have actually talked to the person to count it as a source. It's one thing to retweet a post. It's another to write up an article and place it on your online newspaper paper front page.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...UUS9iHUTNRkuL/
Old 03-28-2017, 10:43 AM
Major General

longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
This is the same sourcing as noted above in this thread. It's not a new source saying this and the DDN has not talked to Wright. And they haven't talked to the original post guy in MN. I almost can't believe they would report this based on one source's Internet post. Back on my day of working for newspapers, we had to have two sources on something like this and we had to have actually talked to the person to count it as a source. It's one thing to retweet a post. It's another to write up an article and place it on your online newspaper paper front page.
You're forgetting one thing: The DDN is nowhere near the newspaper it once was. It does however burn very well in the fireplace...
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-28-2017), cralford (03-28-2017), flyercasey (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:50 AM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
John Miller seemed as surprised as anyone, but was/is that just Miller talk. We will see if AM walks the walk or just talk the talk.

Hard to believe if a University is all that Big of a program on the national level they'd have to poach or steal players from a mid major program. If you are aspiring to again be relevant in the national top 10 then act like it and get your own recruits.
It's not like Archie has a separate recruiting pipeline up and running - aside from the guys who already committed to Indiana that he is now re-recruiting. For Archie, success starts with the PG position, and McKinley was his number one target at that most important position. As the prevailing wisdom seems to be that McKinley Wright could play for just about anyone in the country, I don't blame him for wanting him. Archie shouldn't be going after him, but of all our recruits, the temptation is clearly greatest with him.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
Archie starts his career at IU with a ncaa violations investigation?
Mad Props to shwag33 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sitdowndigger (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Major General

Archie has ties to Crean and the Harbaughs?
Aside from the fact that he is taking over the program formerly coached by Tom Crean, who married a Harbaugh, not that I know of. He'll forever be compared to Crean though. Especially if Dayton managed to hire Crean!
FlyerGuyer (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:58 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,110 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
If all of the great things Miller has said about UD and his time here is true, and considering everything he has accomplished, he takes a serious risk of tarnishing it all if he is trying to poach Flyer recruits. Is it so important that he's not at all concerned about burning bridges that can never be repaired?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:00 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
Hard to believe they'd print a story based on one tweet. I haven't seen any such things come from mckinley himself. Even if he told this reporter such a thing, it doesn't confirm that Archie or anyone representing Archie has contacted mckinley wright. It could just be an 18 year old kid being confident. i.e. 'I'm sure archie would give me a spot at IU if i wanted it' type of thing.

You can't litigate this stuff through suggestions and third party hearsay tweets. Let this play out. I'm not saying MW will end up a Flyer or not. I'm just saying making accusations about he or archie committing recruiting violations won't help the UD cause. Everybody take a breath.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
I would ignore it. UD can eliminate IU with a sentence is the release. The guys he is wanting at IU are not going to translate to "from UD".
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:05 AM
General of the Air Force

TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
The only person who has talked to Wright is the MN reporter. Of course we don't know what exactly was said, but where would this young man get the idea he was assured a spot at IU?
Again, this will play itself out, but the bottom line is no coach other the UD's staff should be currently talking with our recruits under NLI.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:18 AM
Major General

McKinley knows he was Archie's number one priority so unless Archie went out of his way to tell him that he wouldn't have a spot, I can see why McKinley would think that.

My guess is Archie called each of his recruits to inform them before resigning at Dayton that he was taking the Indiana job. Now, put yourself in the recruit's position. You are going to ask Archie what options you have, and whether there would be a spot for you at Indiana if you were to be released from Dayton. Who knows exactly how Archie answered that, but anything but a firm "no" would probably be enough to put the thought in the recruits mind, there could be a spot for him.

Originally Posted by shwag33 View Post
Archie starts his career at IU with a ncaa violations investigation?
No chance of NCAA investigation on this. As long as the contact was initiated while still the coach at Dayton, I don't think there's a recruiting violation there. But it really doesn't matter. Because Dayton is not going to complain about tampering, or call in the NCAA. What's done is done, and if they don't want McKinley to follow Archie, all they have to do is release McKinley with IU on the restricted list. That is literally why this rule exists. Dayton would probably give him a full release, with only Indiana as a restricted transfer option, and I don't think anyone would criticize Dayton for that. It's standing operating procedure.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
If a kid doesn't want to come here, I don't want him. Wright can stay a Flyer and I'll be happy, but if a kid would be happier elsewhere, then he should go. I don't think it's particularly sleazy. It's not like Archie is stealing University printers on his way out the door. These are humans who have minds of their own and if they want to go with the coach they built a relationship with, they should be free to go.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AZFlyer85 (03-28-2017), jumpin' joe (03-28-2017), m21eagle45 (03-28-2017), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (03-28-2017), rollo (03-28-2017), shocka43 (03-29-2017), st marys (03-28-2017), ud2 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:47 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
It's not like Archie is stealing University printers on his way out the door.
If he wants the printers, he can have them. Please just leave the good recruits and release any questionable ones.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (03-28-2017), BeckysTXA (03-28-2017), jack72 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:59 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
You are forgetting one very important point. It is in violation of NCAA rules to contact a player who is under NLI with another school. If Miller contacted him directly or through surrogates he could be in trouble. He needs to stay away from recruits under NLI-period.
This is very simple folks. Archie and the other coaches who are interested in McKinley have contacted his HS or AAU coach and expressed their interest. There is no NCAA rule against this. The coach then told McKinley who he has spoken to and then McKinley told the reporter that info. McKinley probably should have just told the reporter "My coach told me a few schools have contacted him and I'm just waiting to see how everything plays out.", but he is an 18 year old HS student and was honest which was a mistake in this case.

And as a friendly reminder: Whatever happens Don't Tweet Recruits!!!!
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:10 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
This is very simple folks. Archie and the other coaches who are interested in McKinley have contacted his HS or AAU coach and expressed their interest. There is no NCAA rule against this. The coach then told McKinley who he has spoken to and then McKinley told the reporter that info. McKinley probably should have just told the reporter "My coach told me a few schools have contacted him and I'm just waiting to see how everything plays out.", but he is an 18 year old HS student and was honest which was a mistake in this case.

And as a friendly reminder: Whatever happens Don't Tweet Recruits!!!!
MW instagram this morning saying, Keeping Silent. Someone told him to shut up

Last edited by Atlantic 10; 03-28-2017 at 12:47 PM..
Old 03-28-2017, 12:18 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
Good to see MK silent - he has a right to his opinion, however publicly stating he wants Ostrom as coach reeks of attempted Billy Staten control of our program.

I want MK badly, but the world won't end without him.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by OCFlyer85 View Post
Good to see MK silent - he has a right to his opinion, however publicly stating he wants Ostrom as coach reeks of attempted Billy Staten control of our program.

And how about that tweet from that d-bag Wolfson: Let's make this nice and easy.

Please. Wolfsie can take his nice and easy and stick it where the sun don't shine. LOL
Mad Props to FlyerGuyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Major General

Billy Staten was a grown ass man. McKinley Wright is an 18 year old kid, who just got thrown a curveball he didn't see coming. He doesn't know who Dayton is going to hire and he's worried about it just like we are all. He has a great relationship with one of the Dayton assistant coaches, and he wants that guy to be hired. Just like most of us have a first choice. It matters to us. But it REALLY matters to McKinley. Absolutely no reason to criticize him, even if he ultimately decides Dayton is no longer for him at some point.

Also, why are we abbreviating McKinley Wright as MK?
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (03-29-2017), C-time (03-28-2017), Flyer14 (03-28-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-28-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-28-2017), m21eagle45 (03-28-2017), rollo (03-28-2017), shocka43 (03-29-2017), TA111 (03-28-2017), Tony T 71 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Major General

And how about that tweet from that d-bag Wolfson: Let's make this nice and easy.

Please. Wolfsie can take his nice and easy and stick it where the sun don't shine. LOL
That's fair. He seems to have an agenda, and is meddling. He kind of compares to Billy Staten in this way if you really want to bring him into it, although still pretty different situations.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:32 PM
Major

momszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud of
Once again, John Calipari is not related to the Millers. Miller was his coach in high school and
remains a very close friend of the family. Per Calipari himself during an interview on CBS saying how well Archie will do at Hoosierville.

From Dictionary.com seems fitting. :-)
Hoosier
[hoo-zher]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
noun
a native or inhabitant of Indiana (used as a nickname).
(usually lowercase) any awkward, unsophisticated person, especially a rustic.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:38 PM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Also, why are we abbreviating McKinley Wright as MK?
I've been wondering this exact same thing! I thought it was because Rollo wanted Matt Kavanaugh to be a graduate assistant coach.
rollo (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:45 PM
General of the Air Force

Disagree on the Staten comparison. If you know the history, UD, mainly through Ostrom, started recruiting MW almost 3 years ago. A close bond was formed and the young man wants to see if the coach who he formed a bond with will be the coach. Nothing more than that.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-28-2017), m21eagle45 (03-28-2017), rollo (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
If all of the great things Miller has said about UD and his time here is true, and considering everything he has accomplished, he takes a serious risk of tarnishing it all if he is trying to poach Flyer recruits. Is it so important that he's not at all concerned about burning bridges that can never be repaired?
He doesn't care about tarnishing anything. He cares about himself, his job and winning. I love what Archie did at UD but that is over. As far as I'm concerned he lit every bridge on fire when he left, he isn't coming back, he isn't looking out for Dayton, he is gone. I remember when people on this board thought it was sleezy the way Sean handled the X to AZ thing. How is this any different? I just don't get all the people who want to throw this guy an appreciation parade. He left because it was better for him, he may look back upon his time here fondly but there was no sense of loyalty, no "what will happen to UD if I go" consideration. He did what was best for him. He is no longer the coach at UD and has no loyalty to UD which is why I don't understand why so many people feel like we/they should be loyal to him.

If he committed an NCAA violation, I hope the NCAA burns him and Indiana to the ground. This is a dirty business and while it may upset me, I won't complain about the stuff that is ugly but above board. I will however insist that the NCAA punish all violations to the fullest extent possible, especially when it is their flagship programs that are dealing dirty.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyercasey (03-29-2017), FlyerGuyer (03-28-2017), UDGutter2 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:21 PM
Brigadier General

Disagree on the Staten comparison. If you know the history, UD, mainly through Ostrom, started recruiting MW almost 3 years ago. A close bond was formed and the young man wants to see if the coach who he formed a bond with will be the coach. Nothing more than that.

That's fine, but publicly making threats like "hire him or else" is over the line. Maybe not necessarily from MW (I don't follow twitter accounts from high school kids), but from guys like Wolfson. It's simply inappropriate, but if you all pucker up real good, Wolfsie's gonna make this real nice and easy for you...

Last edited by FlyerGuyer; 03-28-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Old 03-28-2017, 01:25 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
That's fine, but publicly making threats like "hire him or else" is over the line. Maybe not necessarily from MW (I don't follow twitter accounts from high school kids), but from guys like Wolfson. It's simply inappropriate, but if you all pucker up real good, Wolfsie's gonna make this real nice and easy for you...
I didn't take it as hire Ostrum or else. I took it more as he would definitely stay if that coach was picked. I know its semantics, but it's different.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-28-2017), jack72 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Brigadier General

SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
I didn't take it as hire Ostrum or else. I took it more as he would definitely stay if that coach was picked. I know its semantics, but it's different.
Doesn't sound like Ostrom is even on the radar for serious HC role, but he could very well assume the associate HC tag and perhaps that keeps MWright at Dayton.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:38 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post

Still don't like the public politicking, however you want to spin it. These things should be done more privately. Right now the top story at DDN is: Archie Miller May Take Top Recruit With Him To Indiana.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:40 PM
Colonel

swish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant future
It doesn't sound to me like he is even saying Ostrom has to be HEAD Coach. Just HIS coach. As in as long as Ostrom stays, even as just an assistant, he was good with that.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:45 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
If a kid doesn't want to come here, I don't want him. Wright can stay a Flyer and I'll be happy, but if a kid would be happier elsewhere, then he should go.
That's exactly what Jimmy Binnie said about Trent Meacham.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:46 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
Doesn't sound like Ostrom is even on the radar for serious HC role, but he could very well assume the associate HC tag and perhaps that keeps MWright at Dayton.
If Sullivan can pull the Kuwik head coach and Ostrom associate head coach deal off I would be impressed. I think the only way it gets pulled off is if they pay Ostrom at least 500k which would be a lot for an A10 assistant, but since Kuwik would only be making (800k-1million?) which is less than Archie UD could afford it. For some reference Kenny Payne the top assistant at Kentucky made 750k this year and will make 800k next year.
jack72 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:58 PM
General of the Air Force

For those interested, here is the interview with MW. http://kstp.com/sports/mckinley-wrig...tball/4437405/
Seems like a very nice young man.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jumpin' joe (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 02:05 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
For those interested, here is the interview with MW. http://kstp.com/sports/mckinley-wrig...tball/4437405/
Sounds like a nice kid and carries himself well.

The reporter sounds like a typical jock sniffing douche bag!!!
Old 03-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Apparently you haven't seen the BR tweet. Even if you haven't I'm not sure where this comes from, as many people on this board and in the media have expressed the possibility of an assistant like Ostrum or Kuwik getting bumped up to HC.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Very impressive. Handles himself extremely well. We need that type of person/player at Dayton!
Old 03-28-2017, 02:16 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
This MW thing has so many ramifications now. If he does consider staying, does he now demand playing time? Starter minutes?

Wonder how John Crosby feels about all of this. Bowing to MW's preferences, could mean he will want to jump ship. While I doubt very seriously if that's what they will be doing if they hired Ostrom, it still puts a question mark in a lot of people's minds. There's a chance no matter how this all works out, we might only have one point guard next year.

This is why MW should've just kept his mouth shut to begin with.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:21 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
This MW thing has so many ramifications now. If he does consider staying, does he now demand playing time? Starter minutes?

Wonder how John Crosby feels about all of this. Bowing to MW's preferences, could mean he will want to jump ship. While I doubt very seriously if that's what they will be doing if they hired Ostrom, it still puts a question mark in a lot of people's minds. There's a chance no matter how this all works out, we might only have one point guard next year.

This is the problem with message boards. People take what someone says and totally twist the meaning. Then they go on and speculate over their twisting someones words. For instance, now you are talking about him demanding starters minutes and bowing to MW's preferences.

If they hire Ostrom, it is not to keep 1 recruit. It is because they feel he is the best for the job. Period, case closed. None of those other things are even being considered and shouldn't be speculated about.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 03-28-2017 at 02:49 PM..
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-28-2017), Avid Flyer (03-28-2017), cralford (03-28-2017), John C. (03-28-2017), rollo (03-28-2017), Runnin' Rebel (03-28-2017), SLUFLYER (03-28-2017), UD62 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 02:31 PM
1st Lieutenant

Sitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura about

Maybe Crosby will work on his weaknesses more...j/k, no I am not. MW is 18, his head has to be spinning...coached to keep quiet and is now. The kid is player of the year in MN, blessed with crazy skills. Obviously he grew tight with Ostrom and wants him to be around. I get it and have zero issue with this learning experience. Ostrom and Kuwik should be rewarded, not for a particular recruit, but for everything they've done, including multiple recruits.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2017, 02:54 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Apparently you haven't seen the BR tweet. Even if you haven't I'm not sure where this comes from, as many people on this board and in the media have expressed the possibility of an assistant like Ostrum or Kuwik getting bumped up to HC.
Most of the media I have seen, and on this board particularly, have only suggested Kuwik as an elevation option. I don't think I have seen a single suggestion outside this board (I guess there's a BR tweet) and certainly not in the mainstream media that has mentioned Ostrom's name.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:08 PM
1st Lieutenant

Sitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura aboutSitdowndigger has a spectacular aura about
Most of the media I have seen, and on this board particularly, have only suggested Kuwik as an elevation option. I don't think I have seen a single suggestion outside this board (I guess there's a BR tweet) and certainly not in the mainstream media that has mentioned Ostrom's name.
Not saying it's Breitbart but...

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-32717/
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2017, 03:09 PM
Major General

Mark Adams is about the only guy I've seen really hyping Kuwik as far as media goes. I definitely think Ostrom is getting the most hype of the internal candidates among media types. You've got that D-Bag Wolfson, who is a sports anchor in Minneapolis. Then you've got all these craptacular coaching candidate articles like this one from something called Hero Sports... http://herosports.com/news/archie-mi...ent-coach-ahah listing Ostrom and Allen Griffin as candidates. They don't know who Kevin Kuwik is apparently.

EDIT - Forgot about that Hoopdirt posting. Another good example of media all in on Ostrom, no mention of Kuwik.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:29 PM
Brigadier General

There's a bunch of references to this above that you must have missed, but it doesn't appear that MW is any way dictating, requesting or threatening anything based on his commitment and the potential head coach.

To suggest he's the kind of player who will start demanding certain minutes or starting is really jumping to some conclusions based on a tweet from a guy who appears to have had some kind of dialogue with the recruit.

Bowing to MW's preferences? That's not what's going on. Sorry, but posts like this are uniformed and making it worse.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Brigadier General

Mark Adams is about the only guy I've seen really hyping Kuwik as far as media goes. I definitely think Ostrom is getting the most hype of the internal candidates among media types. You've got that D-Bag Wolfson, who is a sports anchor in Minneapolis. Then you've got all these craptacular coaching candidate articles like this one from something called Hero Sports... http://herosports.com/news/archie-mi...ent-coach-ahah listing Ostrom and Allen Griffin as candidates. They don't know who Kevin Kuwik is apparently.

EDIT - Forgot about that Hoopdirt posting. Another good example of media all in on Ostrom, no mention of Kuwik.
Yet our own board has an entire thread for Kuwik?
Old 03-28-2017, 03:46 PM
Major General

Yet our own board has an entire thread for Kuwik?
Well, yes. But so does Ray Parker...
flyerfanatic86 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 03:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
IndianaRivals‏ @IndianaRivals 35m35 minutes ago

Via @JWellsTH, Archie Miller hopes Dayton signee stays put ($)
https://twitter.com/IndianaRivals/st...01707749326851

Short and sweet, he hopes McKinley honors his LOI to UD
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-28-2017), BeckysTXA (03-28-2017), MDFlyer (03-28-2017), Runnin' Rebel (03-28-2017), SLUFLYER (03-28-2017), UDGutter2 (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 03:48 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
you beat me to the punch. Good on Archie.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:57 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,110 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post

Does anyone really believe this? Chances are much better of him landing at Indiana than it is at UD. More coach speak.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:58 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone really believe this? Chances are much better of him landing at Indiana than it is at UD. More coach speak.
We'll see... I do think it is coach speak
Old 03-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post

Saw that too. Couldn't read the thread/link, since it's subscription based, to see if there was an actual quote from Archie or not. I'm not even sure Archie is allowed to specifically comment on a recruit that is under another LOI.

Either way, it's nice to hear, and can put to rest those who were ready to jump on Archie for "poaching".

Let the dust settle and the facts/details come out before rendering any kind of verdict on Archie, MW, etc.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Brigadier General

Correct, but I was only taking the Kuwik thread seriously. Pretty sure that Ray Parker thread hasn't had much activity since it opened.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:12 PM
1st Lieutenant

Saw that too. Couldn't read the thread/link, since it's subscription based, to see if there was an actual quote from Archie or not. I'm not even sure Archie is allowed to specifically comment on a recruit that is under another LOI.

Either way, it's nice to hear, and can put to rest those who were ready to jump on Archie for "poaching".

Let the dust settle and the facts/details come out before rendering any kind of verdict on Archie, MW, etc.
Did he have no choice but to say this because an IU affiliate already reached out to McKinley informing him he's in if he wants it?.....hmmmmm.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:17 PM
Major General

Archie: Hey McKinley! It's me Archie.

McKinley: What's up coach?

Archie: Shhhh, we're not supposed to be talking, REMEMBER!

McKinley: Oh yeah, my bad. Sorry about what I said to that reporter guy.

Archie: Yeah, I know. But don't worry about it. I got a plan. I'm gonna do this interview and say that I want you to honor your commitment to Dayton.

McKinley: Wait, you want me to do what?

Archie: No, of course I want you to come to Indiana, but that's our little secret dude. I've got to throw everybody off first so that those morons at Dayton will give you a release and not block you going to Indiana.

McKinley: But I'm going to Indiana with you, right?

Archie: Shh, shh, not so loud man. SECRET, remember!

McKinley: Got it.

Archie: Just stop talking to that Wolfson clown, okay. Do not answer any questions from Wolfson. Unless it's Tracy Wolfson. If it's Tracy Wolfson, you can give her my number. But don't tell Morgan.

Archie: Good. Gotta go. Talk later.

McKinley: Thanks Coach.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfan4life (03-28-2017), Sitdowndigger (03-28-2017), SLUFLYER (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Brigadier General

Archie: Hey McKinley! It's me Archie.

McKinley: What's up coach?

Archie: Shhhh, we're not supposed to be talking, REMEMBER!

McKinley: Oh yeah, my bad. Sorry about what I said to that reporter guy.

Archie: Yeah, I know. But don't worry about it. I got a plan. I'm gonna do this interview and say that I want you to honor your commitment to Dayton.

McKinley: Wait, you want me to do what?

Archie: No, of course I want you to come to Indiana, but that's our little secret dude. I've got to throw everybody off first so that those morons at Dayton will give you a release and not block you going to Indiana.

McKinley: But I'm going to Indiana with you, right?

Archie: Shh, shh, not so loud man. SECRET, remember!

Archie: Just stop talking to that Wolfson clown, okay. Do not answer any questions from Wolfson. Unless it's Tracy Wolfson. If it's Tracy Wolfson, you can give her my number. But don't tell Morgan.

Archie: Good. Gotta go. Talk later.

McKinley: Thanks Coach.
Have to admit it was kind of boring and mundane until I got to the line about Tracy Wolfson and it made it all worth it.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:27 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
There's a bunch of references to this above that you must have missed, but it doesn't appear that MW is any way dictating, requesting or threatening anything based on his commitment and the potential head coach.

To suggest he's the kind of player who will start demanding certain minutes or starting is really jumping to some conclusions based on a tweet from a guy who appears to have had some kind of dialogue with the recruit.

Bowing to MW's preferences? That's not what's going on. Sorry, but posts like this are uniformed and making it worse.
I'm talking about how it can be perceived or other small factors. What if Ostrom never was JC's guy? What if JC gets displaced as a starter based on merit but he sees it as favoritism. If MW likes Ostrom but finds himself not getting the minutes he thought he would've? After one season(knowing that JC comes back for a senior season), he just walks after this season not before.

I'm not saying that all those things are going to happen but by MW opening up about who he prefers as coach was not constructive in any way and could only cause harm. There is only two reasons that he tweeted those things. One is he's just being honest and doesn't know when saying nothing is better than speaking the truth and the other is he wants to plug for his guy.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Have to admit it was kind of boring and mundane until I got to the line about Tracy Wolfson and it made it all worth it.
Archie is only interested in Alli Laforce. I'm pretty sure I saw Morgan give her a death stare every time she interviewed Archie.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-29-2017), flyerfan4life (03-28-2017), MikeF (03-28-2017), SLUFLYER (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:33 PM
General of the Air Force

MW didn't tweet those things. It was an interview with a MN reporter. The reporter then tweeted. You can view the interview as I posted the link above.
C-time (03-28-2017), SLUFLYER (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by C-time View Post
Archie is only interested in Alli Laforce. I'm pretty sure I saw Morgan give her a death stare every time she interviewed Archie.
That's why Morgan can't know about Tracy. She's still mad about Allie.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
Yeah, but that's Ray Parker. I'm surprised he doesn't have his own forum!
Old 03-28-2017, 05:37 PM
Brigadier General

I'm talking about how it can be perceived or other small factors. What if Ostrom never was JC's guy? What if JC gets displaced as a starter based on merit but he sees it as favoritism. If MW likes Ostrom but finds himself not getting the minutes he thought he would've? After one season(knowing that JC comes back for a senior season), he just walks after this season not before.

I'm not saying that all those things are going to happen but by MW opening up about who he prefers as coach was not constructive in any way and could only cause harm. There is only two reasons that he tweeted those things. One is he's just being honest and doesn't know when saying nothing is better than speaking the truth and the other is he wants to plug for his guy.
You're still missing the point, not reading the post(s) in its entirety or just misunderstood. MW didn't tweet those things. TA111 mentions it above too and it's been posted about 5 other times in this thread. You're painting a picture of both the situation and MW that really doesn't exist and is kind of unfair.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:01 PM
Major

Did you watch the interview? He definitely said live on tv he hopes Ostrom gets the job and he's not sure if he will reopen his recruitment or not. He also said that he was told that he has a spot with Indiana if he wants it. Straight from the horse's mouth. So who cares who tweeted it, MW said it.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:28 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by momszer View Post
Did you watch the interview? He definitely said live on tv he hopes Ostrom gets the job and he's not sure if he will reopen his recruitment or not. He also said that he was told that he has a spot with Indiana if he wants it. Straight from the horse's mouth. So who cares who tweeted it, MW said it.
Sure he did, after the reporter asked him about the relationship. What the heck do you expect him to say? The young man was asked a question and answered it. So what? Some here are making this something it's not.
m21eagle45 (03-28-2017), SLUFLYER (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 06:36 PM
Brigadier General

Seems somewhat relevant, as Minnesota (G) Ahmad Gilbert is transferring. Not sure what their ship situation was before, but it appears one is now open.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:04 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Gilbert is a 6-6 small forward, maybe capable of playing the 2. Gophers signed top 100 (No. 64) Isaiah Washington (Mr. Basketball in New York) who is a pure point guard. Not sure McKinley would want to play behind him.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:30 PM

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Neil and Spina's job is to hire the most qualified person for the job, not appease a recruit or two on Twitter. That's blackmail. They wont give that stuff one fleeting second of their concern. If the job ends up going to an assistant, I would not read into it any further than that -- they were the best person for the job.

This is a potential 10-15yr decision. Now is not the time to be myopic about it and focus only on the curve down the road you can see. Many miles of asphalt beyond that first curve. Cant win the race in turn 1.

I trust we will get a good coach. Its probably the most high profile job opening right now outside of Georgetown. Will the hire make everyone happy? Not hardly. There were dissenters when Archie was hired. In fact, for the first two seasons there were numerous, vocal ones.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-28-2017), CvilleFlyer (03-28-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-29-2017), MD Flyer Pride (03-28-2017), TXFlyerFan (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 07:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Back to MW. Archie was on the Dan Dakich radio show today and said about Mckinley "I hope he goes to Dayton". Now does he mean it? Who knows, but he did say it. I expect 10 immediate responses that Archie is liar. Don't blame me I just figured people would want to hear it. Listen to the link below. I didn't want to transcribe the whole 30 second clip.

Shoutout to the kids(probably Matt Allaire aka the GIF king) for putting this up.

https://twitter.com/Flyer_Faithful/s...58714334330880
Old 03-28-2017, 09:29 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Based on that interview it seems to me like the "he has a spot at IU" garbage was just that, garbage.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I think Archie has been as honest and forthright as he can be in this whole process (realizing that some degree of 'covertness' is necessary in his situation). That said, I believe he honestly hopes that McKinley winds-up at UD. And, frankly, I hope he does, too. But whatever his decision, I wish nothing but the best for the young man. God bless you, young man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2017, 09:42 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post

This is a potential 10-15yr decision.
Or maybe just a 6 year one.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:52 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Or maybe just a 6 year one.
I'll have my pitchfork out and ready to go by year 3.
flyerfanatic86 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:05 PM
Major

McKinley's Interview Hear His Own Words Regarding Ostrom and Indiana

http://kstp.com/sports/mckinley-wrig...ketball/443740
Old 03-28-2017, 11:16 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
At the end of the day I think we all want the best person qualified for the job! If there is one thing I have learned and that I am still learning is not to judge others. The reason being is that we usually don't know all the facts!

I have been a fan of McKinley Wright ever since he and Theo John had their news conference in the Champlin Park gym and he made his intentions known to get an education and to take his basketball skills to the University of Dayton. I immediately went to You Tube and watched every video that was out there so I could see first hand his considerable talents. At the end of his junior season Champlin Park was defeated in the final game by Apple Valley and, in an interview he stated that he wanted to reverse that outcome in this his senior year.

Last Saturday, just before his pregame meal, he was told by an assistant coach that Archie Miller had accepted the Indiana University job! He said he couldn't eat! To make matters worse the Champlin Park team, after 30+ wins in a row lost again to Apple Valley 60-54 in the State Championship game! Talk about a domino effect!!!!

Today, Archie was on the Dan Dakich radio show and said about McKinley Wright, "I hope he goes to Dayton". I hope he does too as I know we all do! Most importantly I hope we get a new coach, whether it be a current assistant or not, who can continue to make UD basketball a household name and continue to make us proud to be fans!
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (03-28-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:00 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
One of the things that struck me about all of our recruits, at least that I could tell, is that they all seem to be high character as well as great basketball players. I hope they still come to UD, but wish them well wherever they may end up.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:48 AM

Thanked 6,123 Times in 4,169 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 224 View Post
That's why you didn't hear anything about Brad Brownell taking kids from WSU to Clemson or Kevin Keatts taking kids from UNC Wilmington to NC St.
Brownell took 1 incoming WSU recruit with him to Clemson.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:17 AM
Major General

Brian Gregory stole no one because he is a better man than basketball coach. Unfortunately for him, integrity doesn't show up in the stat sheet.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:12 AM

Thanked 6,123 Times in 4,169 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Brownell took 1 incoming WSU recruit with him to Clemson.
I wanted to look this up to be sure.

Cory Stanton...Brownell's first signee at Clemson...signed with WSU originally...got his release from WSU and went to Clemson.

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArt...CLID=205527827

"Cory is a kid I've known for a long time," Brownell said. "He's a very talented guard. He's got good quickness and athleticism. He's a pretty good outside shooter. He's a scoring point guard that has an infectious personality. He's a hard worker. In my opinion, he will be a leader of this program in the future because of his personality and his drive to be successful. We're lucky to have him."

Stanton, a 5-foot-11 guard who originally signed with Wright State...
Old 03-29-2017, 08:22 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
At the end of the day I think we all want the best person qualified for the job! If there is one thing I have learned and that I am still learning is not to judge others. The reason being is that we usually don't know all the facts!

I have been a fan of McKinley Wright ever since he and Theo John had their news conference in the Champlin Park gym and he made his intentions known to get an education and to take his basketball skills to the University of Dayton. I immediately went to You Tube and watched every video that was out there so I could see first hand his considerable talents. At the end of his junior season Champlin Park was defeated in the final game by Apple Valley and, in an interview he stated that he wanted to reverse that outcome in this his senior year.

Last Saturday, just before his pregame meal, he was told by an assistant coach that Archie Miller had accepted the Indiana University job! He said he couldn't eat! To make matters worse the Champlin Park team, after 30+ wins in a row lost again to Apple Valley 60-54 in the State Championship game! Talk about a domino effect!!!!

Today, Archie was on the Dan Dakich radio show and said about McKinley Wright, "I hope he goes to Dayton". I hope he does too as I know we all do! Most importantly I hope we get a new coach, whether it be a current assistant or not, who can continue to make UD basketball a household name and continue to make us proud to be fans!
My question is why would a asst coach tell a player before a big game about Archie going to Indiana, at pregame meal
Old 03-29-2017, 08:23 AM
Captain

Browns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to beholdBrowns is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
My question is why would a asst coach tell a player before a big game about Archie going to Indiana, at pregame meal
The opposing team was chanting "Indiana" during the game. Would that have been a better way to find out?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Browns For This Totally Excellent Post:
Iguomaniac (03-29-2017), jack72 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:01 AM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
Brian Gregory stole no one because he is a better man than basketball coach. Unfortunately for him, integrity doesn't show up in the stat sheet.
BG offered Percy Gibson after a scholarship at GA Tech. Gibson ended up following assistant coach Cornell Mann to Iowa State (and later to Oakland).
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Iguomaniac For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-29-2017), flyerfanatic86 (03-29-2017), m21eagle45 (03-29-2017), ud2 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 09:05 AM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Iguomaniac View Post
BG offered Percy Gibson after a scholarship at GA Tech. Gibson ended up following assistant coach Cornell Mann to Iowa State (and later to Oakland).
Still a waaaay better man than a BB coach.....lol
Old 03-29-2017, 10:14 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I'm guessing the IU has a spot if I want it statement in which he said someone from IU talked to one of his AAU coaches must be true because these AAU guys are all so upstanding and honest and are only out for the kids best interest and are not self serving individuals at all. ;-)
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:20 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I'm guessing the IU has a spot if I want it statement in which he said someone from IU talked to one of his AAU coaches must be true because these AAU guys are all so upstanding and honest and are only out for the kids best interest and are not self serving individuals at all. ;-)
You mean all those AAU coaches don't just love basketball and enjoy "coaching" basketball for free?
CT Flyer (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:26 AM
1st Lieutenant

Title_BU is a jewel in the roughTitle_BU is a jewel in the roughTitle_BU is a jewel in the roughTitle_BU is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by swish61 View Post
It doesn't sound to me like he is even saying Ostrom has to be HEAD Coach. Just HIS coach. As in as long as Ostrom stays, even as just an assistant, he was good with that.
I am a member of a couple of the Indiana premium sites. Its pretty well accepted that Archie will hire him if he doesn't become Dayton's head coach.

Given this, I can't see any path of keeping Wright without Ostrom becoming head coach, regardless of whether than was an ultimatum (I don't think it was) or not.

About the only thing UD could do is not release him to Indiana, but given the spring period makes average guys into Michael Jordan due to the lack of supply, I'd imagine the UK's of the world would become involved (even if they figured he'd end up transferring)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:28 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,462 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to see DDN changed its " Wright might follow Miller to Indiana" headline to "Archie Miller hopes MW sticks with Dayton" headline and edited their story to now include a long quote from Miller saying just that backed up with MW is a signed Dayton recruit and it's not AMs job to recruit him to Indiana.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Major General

BTW- I'm ok with MW it he backs out of his UD LOI. I don't like it but if he was here only for "a" coach, he's not really here for the right reasons. I think the UD experience would be all that other former players said it would be. I think he'd really enjoy the fan/UD arena experience. But life will go on without him, see Staten and Meachum...
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:27 AM
General

BTW- I'm ok with MW it he backs out of his UD LOI. I don't like it but if he was here only for "a" coach, he's not really here for the right reasons. I think the UD experience would be all that other former players said it would be. I think he'd really enjoy the fan/UD arena experience. But life will go on without him, see Staten and Meachum...
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, all that sounds good, but got news for you, if the coach didn't play a big part in his choosing UD, he's in a very tiny minority. If players' main concern was the college experience rather than the basketball program, colleges would only have to count on their marketing department to sell recruits.

As for other former players saying the UD experience is all that, how many of them have any other college experiences to compare it to? Most students who spend 4 year at the same college would tell you that they wouldn't trade the experience for anything. That's not unique to UD.

The best players want the most compatible coaches. Nothing wrong with that because I'm not satisfied with a program full of happy campers that don't win.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-29-2017), TA111 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:39 AM
Major General

Yeah, all that sounds good, but got news for you, if the coach didn't play a big part in his choosing UD, he's in a very tiny minority. If players' main concern was the college experience rather than the basketball program, colleges would only have to count on their marketing department to sell recruits.

As for other former players saying the UD experience is all that, how many of them have any other college experiences to compare it to? Most students who spend 4 year at the same college would tell you that they wouldn't trade the experience for anything. That's not unique to UD.

The best players want the most compatible coaches. Nothing wrong with that because I'm not satisfied with a program full of happy campers that don't win.
Yep. People who say "we really don't want him if he's here just for the coach" are just ****ed off. Got news for you(not really you) but right or wrong when a coach recruits a kid he can sell him all day on the school, the pretty girls, the great educational programs, tremendous happy hours, great pizza parlors,etc. but it's THAT coach that tells him how great he's going to make that player, how many NCAA appearances that kid can lead the team to, and how "said" coach can get that player to the next level..

It's pretty impressionable to have a coach you see on TV all the time, making 3 mm a year, wearing $2500.00 suits, sitting on your favorite recliner and THAT coach telling you how great you are and you're the missing piece.

Last edited by steve; 03-29-2017 at 11:42 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-29-2017), TA111 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:44 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
Gilbert is a 6-6 small forward, maybe capable of playing the 2. Gophers signed top 100 (No. 64) Isaiah Washington (Mr. Basketball in New York) who is a pure point guard. Not sure McKinley would want to play behind him.
Had nothing to do with position. Just pointing out that a scholarship was now open an Minnesota. Thought I made that pretty clear in the initial post.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Title_BU View Post
I am a member of a couple of the Indiana premium sites. Its pretty well accepted that Archie will hire him if he doesn't become Dayton's head coach.

Given this, I can't see any path of keeping Wright without Ostrom becoming head coach, regardless of whether than was an ultimatum (I don't think it was) or not.
I got it all worked out in the Who's Up Next thread! The Billy Donovan Circle of Influence theory! Donovan's been a mentor to both Anthony Grant and Tom Ostrom. Reasonable to think Ostrom's loyalty will be to Archie, but a little nudge from Billy D telling Tom he should stay on staff at UD under Grant for a year or two to keep the momentum (and recruiting class) might do the trick. Just depends whether Tom Ostrom fancies an NBA gig. Donovan can find him one here in a year or two if he's willing to go with Grant.

It's a winding, circuitous route with leaps of reasoning and plenty of obstacles but if you're willing to subscribe to the theory, there's totally a path to hiring Grant AND keeping Ostrom/Wright!
Old 03-29-2017, 11:52 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

LI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant future
I got it all worked out in the Who's Up Next thread! The Billy Donovan Circle of Influence theory! Donovan's been a mentor to both Anthony Grant and Tom Ostrom. Reasonable to think Ostrom's loyalty will be to Archie, but a little nudge from Billy D telling Tom he should stay on staff at UD under Grant for a year or two to keep the momentum (and recruiting class) might do the trick. Just depends whether Tom Ostrom fancies an NBA gig. Donovan can find him one here in a year or two if he's willing to go with Grant.

It's a winding, circuitous route with leaps of reasoning and plenty of obstacles but if you're willing to subscribe to the theory, there's totally a path to hiring Grant AND keeping Ostrom/Wright!
This sounds like a WIN:WIN:WIN situation. Love the idea even if it is only fantasy.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:57 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by LI Flyer View Post
This sounds like a WIN:WIN:WIN situation. Love the idea even if it is only fantasy.
Probably should have worked Tracy Wolfson or Alli LaForce in there somewhere.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:57 AM
Major General

First of all- he hasn't made his decision. Secondly, again, see Staten and Meachum (one persons loss is anothers gain)- life goes on... Thirdly, we have several other incoming players.

I may be ****ed as I was with Staten and Meachum, however-our record still ended up good without them...so we'll survive. Real disappointment belongs to AM and the belief that he was here to create a dynasty. I guess I should have known better but he kept saying all the right things. So again, how do we know what the next coach will do? I doubt its a JOB experience agan. But if it is, at least I'll know how to process it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread